• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMUSIX

Watched Captain America again last night. Still don't fully see the criticisms that are leveled at is. I do wish Marvel had gone back and fixed the ending for the home release, though.

This was supposed to be the final scene before the credits:
aadV1Mp.jpg

...which would have worked beautifully and finished the emotional story of the piece. The 'waking up in the present' bit was intended to be the after-credits stinger, which, again, would have worked far better thematically.

Marvel shunted the stinger onto the end of the film because they wanted to use the Avengers trailer to get more people to see Captain America. Fine from a marketing perspective, but really should have been changed back with the home release, as it no longer needs to do that job.

Oh well, still an enjoyable movie.

The official poster for All Hail The King:

all-hail-the-king.jpg

Going to quote this for the new page....really like the style of it....

J10

Banned
Watched Captain America again last night. Still don't fully see the criticisms that are leveled at is. I do wish Marvel had gone back and fixed the ending for the home release, though.

aadV1Mp.jpg

...which would have worked beautifully and finished the emotional story of the piece. The 'waking up in the present' bit was intended to be the after-credits stinger, which, again, would have worked far better thematically.

Marvel shunted the stinger onto the end of the film because they wanted to use the Avengers trailer to get more people to see Captain America. Fine from a marketing perspective, but really should have been changed back with the home release, as it no longer needs to do that job.

Oh well, still an enjoyable movie.

Going to quote this for the new page....really like the style of it....

Nah, the movie works better properly bookended by the two present day scenes as it is.

Nah, the movie works better properly bookended by the two present day scenes as it is.

Nope, the garbage can lid shot was the perfect ending. The second present-day scene obviously needed to be included somewhere, but it simply doesn't fit the main arc of the film; it's just an odd, jarring narrative zig-zag when tacked onto the end of the film proper. I mean, imagine if the Collector scene had come immediately after the last shot of Loki in Thor: TDW.

Wish they had either moved it to the end credits or saved it for the opening of Avengers, somehow.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Incredible Hulk had the same problem with the ending. It should have ended with Banner gaining control of the Hulk, instead of Stark meeting Ross, which should have been the post credits scene.

anaron

The Incredible Hulk had the same problem with the ending. It should have ended with Banner gaining control of the Hulk, instead of Stark meeting Ross, which should have been the post credits scene.
Wasn't it? I remember it as much...(watched it on bluray back in 2008)

Dai101

Banned

aadV1Mp.jpg

Hey, it's young Agent Coulson.

J10

Banned

LOL What version of the movie did you see?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea the final shot of Incredible Hulk was the 'days without incident' counter in the jungle where he gets jumped, you see his eyes go green and counter reset to 0. The post credits was the Stark/Thunderbolt scene.

EDIT: Maybe not? I was pretty sure it was post credits.

J10

Banned
Watch the film again. There was no post-credits scene. The Stark scene (which was originally intended as a post credits scene) was actually part of the film proper.

K, I'll check later. I was certain it was mid or post credits though.

I feel Captain America is the best written, has the best dialogue and actually has the best chemistry between the two leads. (yes even Stark and Pepper). It also has some of the better cinematography and character moments:

tumblr_mfu7qmDh1O1rny9ino1_500.gif

tumblr_mfu7qmDh1O1rny9ino2_500.gif

And these are your only two options? A lab rat or a dancing monkey?

I think the 3rd act lets it down. Just doesn't deliver on the development they had been setting up of Steve Rogers in the first two acts. Mindless action and clunky Avengers set up that just didn't sit well with the tone of the film. I get it needed to be there in some capacity but it hurt the film for me.

P.S Incredible Hulk is the only one without a post-credits tease.

jph139

The ending to Captain America was my biggest problem with it. The modern day stuff does feel REALLY out of place. Particularly the final shot - Cap stares into the distance, reflecting wistfully on the world he's left behind... then BAM! Patriotic music, yay America credits!

Would have worked much better if they'd moved it to a post-credits scene.

(Still my favorite movie so far though.)

I'd love to see the little bit about Steve Rogers being a pretty decent line artist make a small comeback in Captain America: The Winter Soldier or in a future film somehow. Only needs to be a minor reference, but little touches like that really matter.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I think a lot of the Cap deleted scenes from the Avengers are really needed tbh. They show his distance and confusion at the modern world/present day really well, and perhaps wouldve been better left in that theatrical (or even home release) cut. I think they'd fit pretty well and serve as a better character introduction.

I do like the ending of The First Avenger but it would be better kept for after the credits. My worry now is, with Captain America 2 rolling out very soon, are we maybe too late for these scenes of the "day in the life" stuff, or even worse are they still relevant or necessary? I can understand now if they'd be omitted, but doing so would be a huge mistake I think.

Yeah I do hope most of that cut Cap material
makes its way to the intro of the sequel. Was really weird in Avengers when you're supposed to know who that waitress was but it was a good scene to have for Steve.

eastx

Nope, the garbage can lid shot was the perfect ending. The second present-day scene obviously needed to be included somewhere, but it simply doesn't fit the main arc of the film; it's just an odd, jarring narrative zig-zag when tacked onto the end of the film proper. I mean, imagine if the Collector scene had come immediately after the last shot of Loki in Thor: TDW.

Wish they had either moved it to the end credits or saved it for the opening of Avengers, somehow.

I think the 3rd act lets it down. Just doesn't deliver on the development they had been setting up of Steve Rogers in the first two acts. Mindless action and clunky Avengers set up that just didn't sit well with the tone of the film. I get it needed to be there in some capacity but it hurt the film for me.

Cap's whole third act is rushed. A lot of people dislike the montage because the film needed room to breathe instead of just summing up a few years in a matter of minutes. Bucky's final scene would have worked better combined with the final Red Skull battle (as in The Ultimates) as well. Having him fall on a random mission just makes much less impact than it should've had.

Also, the poor green screen work during the final battle/hangar sequence was a big letdown for me. They should have kept it more grounded in reality.

But yeah, ending with him waking up in modern day prior to the credits was definitely jarring and works against the movie.

BLACKLAC

I liked the final scene, felt jarring because it should, especially from Caps perspective. Evan's & Jackson's performance plus the music and the final line "Yeah, yeah it's just...... I had a date" sealed it for me.

They could have easily messed it up but they didn't.

I do agree with the montage though. Some cool shots but I would of liked for them to show off more of Caps leadership and strategic mind.

neoanarch

I feel Captain America is the best written, has the best dialogue and actually has the best chemistry between the two leads. (yes even Stark and Pepper). It also has some of the better cinematography and character moments:

Wasn't Cap's shield in the credits scene? Could have sworn it was the credits.

A weird rig of Cap's shield was a joke from the CG team in the first Iron Man iirc (You see it when Pepper walks in on Stark trying to take the Mk.III off for the first time), and then they made the thing into an actual prop for a real gag in Iron Man 2. It wasn't in Incredible Hulk's final final thing which ended up being roped into the short called "The Consultant."

What was the point of that short, anyway? Just to tie up that loose end on that scene at the end of Incredible Hulk and why Stark could possibly answer to SHIELD for even one second if it wasn't to do with ruining someone else's day? Thinking on it, having Stark actually argue with Thunderbolt Ross about finding Banner so he could do some good for the world (whereas Ross doesn't think that much about Banner OR the Hulk, to my understanding) seems like an interesting take on that now. But maybe that's just Science Bros being a thing that fans like to think now.

I believe you can see Caps shield in a deleted scene under the ice when Banner travels to the (Artic?) To shoot himself. No post credit thing though.

Looking back I'm really not surprised Ed Norton got pissed off at Marvel. Sticking that Stark moment in at the ultimate moment in the film was a giant fuck you to him and the character. The entire character arc was him getting to control his powers, resting peacefully, opening his eyes. HULK EYES. Little smirk. He did it. BOOM. cut to black. His moment.

I get that Marvel was perhaps worried about the popularity of the film owing to Ang Lee's version, and having Stark in the main feature would get more people talking. But it robbed Banners character of a particularly powerful and earned ending. It really should have been post credits.

Showaddy

I would love to hear more about this. Is there a story here regarding Thor 2 getting butchered in editing or is that just your assumption?

Both Alan Taylor & Eccleston complained about overly heavy editing. There must be a lot more action in Cap 2 though to justify it having a 25 minute longer running time than Thor 2.

Tom_Cody

Both Alan Taylor & Eccleston complained about overly heavy editing. There must be a lot more action in Cap 2 though to justify it having a 25 minute longer running time than Thor 2.
Interesting.

Throughout the entire period of promotion they seemed to emphasize the Loki-Thor dynamic over everything else. Eccleston and the Dark Elves barely got a mention. It is not hard for me to believe that this occurred in the editing room as well. That the antagonists were half-baked was my major problem with the movie (still enjoyed it though).

TDLink

Interesting.

Throughout the entire period of promotion they seemed to emphasize the Loki-Thor dynamic over everything else. Eccleston and the Dark Elves barely got a mention. It is not hard for me to believe that this occurred in the editing room as well. That the antagonists were half-baked was my major problem with the movie (still enjoyed it though).

Additional scenes with Loki were shot three months before release at Marvel's wishes. It is not unreasonable to imagine that most of the cut stuff related to the dark elves which left room for the new Loki material they filmed.

glad they didn't cut any of the ha-ha underwear jokes, those were more important than any character development for chris eccleston whatsoever

Tom_Cody

Additional scenes with Loki were shot three months before release at Marvel's wishes. It is not unreasonable to imagine that most of the cut stuff related to the dark elves which left room for the new Loki material they filmed.
Lol. I hope the fans girls are happy.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
New Cap 2 posters:

kxz5.jpg

3w2y.jpg

hkft.jpg

1db9.jpg

69st.jpg

r0vy.jpg

69y1.jpg

gbgo.jpg

zb03.png

Falcon's shaping up nicely. I like the subtle red in the wings of the first poster as an homage to the comic version.

They've done a good job at making sure that each hero is pretty well differentiated from each other in the Marvel flicks so far, though obviously Iron Man and War Machine are necessarily quite similar.

Given that Falcon will be our fourth flying hero (after Iron Man, War Machine, and Thor), I'm hoping that he makes up for his lack of Tony Stark tech by being significantly more agile in the air than any of the others. It's cool if he isn't nearly as heavily armed and can't fly at supersonic speeds if he can pull off some maneuvers in midair that Iron Man wouldn't be capable of. His general outline is already really nicely differentiated from the other heroes; I just want to be sure that he's visually distinct in mid-battle.

There's nothing remotely spoilery in the IMDB listing, unless you consider Bucky=Winter Soldier a spoiler. In which case, poke out your eyeballs for the next few weeks while TV spots are airing.

What's with the Skype promo, how is that supposed to work?

Anyway, found this article about Jason Mamoa and his reasons for turning down doing Drax.

"Guardians of the Galaxy" now has what can be agreed upon as a pretty perfect cast, but back when the movie was still on the hunt for its leads, an array of actors went out for the main five characters. Though WWE wrestler Dave Bautista ultimately got the role of Drax the Destroyer, former "Game of Thrones" star Jason Momoa also auditioned for the part. According to Momoa, he is happy Bautista got the role.

"I think it's perfectly cast," Momoa tells Zap2it at a lunch promoting his new Sundance Channel drama "The Red Road." "Dave is perfect for that role, for Drax. It didn't really fit in my time because I've done so many things where I don't say much and I'm colored up and I have my shirt off again. I made a conscious choice to turn down some movies that were action-based to direct 'Road to Paloma' so people could see that side."

As to why he ended up not wanting the role, "I want my children to see their father happy. It's not that it's not a good role, it just wasn't the right thing. I was on 'Stargate: Atlantis' for four years playing a similar character called Ronon, who was an alien who didn't say much and grunted. I've been there and done that, whether people have seen it or not. You want to stretch."

Momoa had nothing but kind things to say about "Guardians" leading man Chris Pratt, who read with him during his audition.

"One of the funnest auditions I've ever done in my life was with him. He's phenomenal. He's going to kill it. It's going to be amazing," Momoa says. "It's a whole Han Solo vibe. It's going to be a phenomenal movie. I'm glad that he is the lead of that. He's funny as hell, man. He can improv; he just acts circles around me. It was really, really fantastic."

In addition to his work on "The Red Road" and his directorial debut "Road to Paloma," Momoa would like to continue showcasing different sides of his talent by trying new projects like comedies. And though he ended up not joining "Guardians of the Galaxy," there are some other comic book superheroes he'd like to play in the future.

"There's definitely some, absolutely," he says. "I was a huge comic book fan, and I still am." Just don't expect him to reveal which characters he's gunning for. "I'm not going to tell you the ones I collect, because then you'd know," he says with a laugh.

J10

Banned
That's funny. Bucky's Wikipedia page is literally the first Google result when you search for Winter Soldier. You'd think pretty much every one would get that it's not supposed to be a surprise by now.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
What's with the Skype promo, how is that supposed to work?

Anyway, found this article about Jason Mamoa and his reasons for turning down doing Drax.

I understand his decision. He would've made an awesome Drax, but then that'd be his 3rd consecutive role where he doesn't wear a shirt and I don't think Drax is a particularly meaty role in comparison to Khal Drogo and Conan.

While that is true the ending scene of the film basically acts as a post-credit tease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom