• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel+Studios+Assembling+A+Universe+Gardians+of+the+Galaxy+4.jpg

Marvel+Studios+Assembling+A+Universe+Gardians+of+the+Galaxy+5.jpg

Marvel+Studios+Assembling+A+Universe+Gardians+of+the+Galaxy+3.jpg

more images from ABC's Assembling Avengers.

Nyanmaruz

OH GAWD dat sexy Star-Lord mask!!! On the other hand, the Nova Corps grunts looks alright I guess...but they better have actual Novas from the comics with gold helmets, the ability fly, shoot energy beams, etc...

AMUSIX

OH GAWD dat sexy Star-Lord mask!!! On the other hand, the Nova Corps grunts looks alright I guess...but they better have actual Novas from the comics with gold helmets, the ability fly, shoot energy beams, etc...

I see the chances of this happening as pretty much none. You can't present that to a movie-going public and expect them to follow along. It's just not fair to say "ok, this police force all has super powers" and then expect your heroes to stand out, or the villain to present a proper threat. It's too much for the average person who knows nothing about the universe.

TDLink

I see the chances of this happening as pretty much none. You can't present that to a movie-going public and expect them to follow along. It's just not fair to say "ok, this police force all has super powers" and then expect your heroes to stand out, or the villain to present a proper threat. It's too much for the average person who knows nothing about the universe.

I think it's unfortunately definitely not happening from the get go but I could see it being introduced down the line somehow. Possibly even at the end of this first movie for some reason.

hmm, i have seen all the Phase 1 and Phase 2 movies except Hulk. I don't know why i never bothered with it, should i watch it if i like the others? It always seemed to me like the one movie they don't really want in the MCU.

Ang Lee's Hulk is probably my favorite superhero movie.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
hmm, i have seen all the Phase 1 and Phase 2 movies except Hulk. I don't know why i never bothered with it, should i watch it if i like the others? It always seemed to me like the one movie they don't really want in the MCU.

Ang Lee's Hulk is probably my favorite superhero movie.

Eh... it was okay. I think the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 are the worst MCU movies. It's definitely a move away from Ang Lee's version. A lot more action packed.

The only part I really enjoyed was Blonsky's first encounter with the Hulk. It got me jazzed to see a Cap movie.

Eh... it was okay. I think the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 are the worst MCU movies. It's definitely a move away from Ang Lee's version. A lot more action packed.

The only part I really enjoyed was Blonsky's first encounter with the Hulk. It got me jazzed to see a Cap movie.

Wasn't the MCU Hulk a sorta sequel to Ang Lee Hulk?
As in it picks up after that movie and vaguely references it, but isn't actually connected to it?

I've been meaning to rewatch it for so long now.

IceCold

I liked the Hulk movie. I think it's weird that they didn't make another one in Phase 2 since a lot of people liked him in the Avengers.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I think it's unfortunately definitely not happening from the get go but I could see it being introduced down the line somehow. Possibly even at the end of this first movie for some reason.

I really hope so.

But yes, if the MCU Novas had superpowers (at least in this film), we'd probably have seen something to suggest that by now, and Gunn probably wouldn't have cast Close or Reilly in the lead Nova roles.

jph139

I really liked the Incredible Hulk - honestly I'd put it near the top as far as MCU movies go, definitely above Iron Man 2 and Thor, possibly Iron Man 3 depending on how you feel about that one. Personally I'd put it right near Iron Man. But I really, really liked Ed Norton's take on Banner, which pulls up the film overall for me... Ruffalo is alright but Norton was perfect.

Proof Ang Lee’s Hulk movie is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In Ang Lee's Hulk, there's a character named Glenn Talbot who's killed in the film.

In the MCU, he's scheduled to make an appearance in Agents of SHIELD.

Oh, I'm aware that the movies aren't connected, I just meant that the Ang Lee Hulk was treated as more of the unofficial Hulk Origin Story, and Marvel decided to just pick up somewhere after that instead of doing the Origin over again. I'm sure there would be inconsistencies preventing it from ever being official.

J10

Banned
It's a rebootquel. Picks up in South America where the first one ended with Bruce on the run, but they changed the origin slightly to include Bruce working on the Super Soldier project.

I actually wish more comic movies would do what IH and Watchmen did, start in the middle of the journey instead of weighing everything down with origin baggage. Not in every case, but where ever it could be applicable. Like did we really need to see a retelling of Spider-Man's origin, especially when it wasn't all that different the second time? They could have just started with him fighting crime in NYC and give little glimpses into his backstory via dialogue and flashbacks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I actually wish more comic movies would do what IH and Watchmen did, start in the middle of the journey instead of weighing everything down with origin baggage. Not in every case, but where ever it could be applicable. Like did we really need to see a retelling of Spider-Man's origin, especially when it wasn't all that different the second time? They could have just started with him fighting crime in NYC and give little glimpses into his backstory via dialogue and flashbacks.

I agree. Its one point thy I love Tim Burtons Batman so much. Not much introducing, just some thugs and then - bäm- the hero shows up.
But you can only do this with well-known characters. When they introduced Iron Man or Hulk like this, they would left a lot of people in the audience behind.

J10

Banned
Wow, that opening scene is even better than what they'd already shown.

The list gave me a good chuckle.

I Love Lucy
Moon Landing
Berlin Wall
Steve Jobs
Disco
Thai Food
Star Wars/Trek
Nirvana
Rocky (Rocky II?)
Trouble Man

TDLink

I'm beyond happy that they are continuing to use the Captain America theme they composed for First Avenger. It really fits the character and is super catchy. I found it real disappointing they kept changing Iron Man's.

shield

I'm beyond happy that they are continuing to use the Captain America theme they composed for First Avenger. It really fits the character and is super catchy. I found it real disappointing they kept changing Iron Man's.

Absolutely. The lack of AC/DC in Iron Man 3 was disappointing too.

sol_bad

I went and saw Need For Speed last night.
They just happened to play the 10 minute preview of Captain America before hand.
I had no idea Australia would get the preview, I didn't really want to see it but I am damn impressed with what I saw.

eastx

I really liked the Incredible Hulk - honestly I'd put it near the top as far as MCU movies go, definitely above Iron Man 2 and Thor, possibly Iron Man 3 depending on how you feel about that one. Personally I'd put it right near Iron Man. But I really, really liked Ed Norton's take on Banner, which pulls up the film overall for me... Ruffalo is alright but Norton was perfect.

I feel the same way. It's a shame that Incredible Hulk didn't connect with audiences so much (I blame its too-close proximity to Iron Man's release date). It's so accurate to the comics and has great action. Guess it could've used more humor, but whateva.

Yeah, ASM definitely did not need to be another origin film.

It bears noting, though, that it actually was at least attempting a distinct take on the origin. Just that nearly everything that would have distinguished its take on the origin from Raimi's was cut very late in post-production, to the point that nearly all the trailers and even the "Untold Story" poster tagline still emphasized those elements.

Yeah, ASM definitely did not need to be another origin film.

It bears noting, though, that it actually was at least attempting a distinct take on the origin. Just that nearly everything that would have distinguished its take on the origin from Raimi's was cut very late in post-production, to the point that nearly all the trailers and even the "Untold Story" poster tagline still emphasized those elements.

Well, it certainly is an untold story.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And this just hit me:

Robert Redford is
married
IRL to a
German lady.
What are the chances of him
speaking German?

Phew. There goes the idea (from that initial set of "spoilers") that Pierce is just a jingoistic guy with a different vision for SHIELD, I think.

Yeah, I hated that "spoiler". I think we can assume
Redford is HYDRA, as you can see that the HYDRA track is late in the listings, which means it's most likely used later in the film, when he is revealed as a member.
Perhaps I'm stretching.

Given what happened to him at the end of TFA, that would probably require a significant exposition dump and wouldn't really fit with what seems to be the more grounded tone TWS is going for.

Yeah, pretty much. Given that Pierce has apparently been around for decades, having him simply be a guy who showed up out of the blue not long after Loki fucked around with the Tesseract isn't feasible, so they'd need to argue that he's possessed and/or recently killed and replaced by the Red Skull, and that's verging on way too much of an expositional infodump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom