• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

histopher

Its really annoying as a fan that they insist on making a F4 movie that no one wants just so they can hold on to the rights.

The average person wont give a damn about F4 but they might if it was in the MCU.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't give a toss if Marvel makes a FF movie, what I want is all the ancillary characters that go with it in the MCU. Namely Surfer, the Skrulls, Galactus and Annihilus.

TDLink

I don't give a toss if Marvel makes a FF movie, what I want is all the ancillary characters that go with it in the MCU. Namely Surfer, the Skrulls, Galactus and Annihilus.

I completely agree. I'm not the biggest F4 fan but a bunch of characters tied up in that deal could be used for other things.

Its really annoying as a fan that they insist on making a F4 movie that no one wants just so they can hold on to the rights.

The average person wont give a damn about F4 but they might if it was in the MCU.

I mean, the one reason it might not happen is because shooting a film and finishing its production costs money.

If Fox is faced with likely losing money on producing the film or with losing the rights if they don't produce the film, losing the rights might be preferable.

However, the optimal version of events from Fox's perspective means either producing the film and having it be a big, profitable hit or *selling* the rights back to Marvel instead of letting them simply lapse.

And *both* of those approaches require producing the film (because even if they're only looking to sell the adaptation rights, Fox can only plausibly negotiate the sale back to Marvel if it looks like Marvel isn't going to get them back for free).

So the odds are good that Fox will make this movie happen no matter how obviously disastrous it'll be. The question is what the situation will look like after the film comes out (i.e. if the film bombs but the rights are no longer at risk of automatically reverting to Marvel anytime soon). It's equally plausible at that point that Fox could attempt to negotiate a sale or that they could give themselves another seven years (iirc that's what the contract stipulates between films?) to try to reboot the franchise yet again.

Vibranium

Banned

I know, Fox should just focus on the X franchise since it has a massive universe full of potential. They should develop tons of individual films like Sony plans on doing with Spidey, and let the FF go.

Marvel has the rights to use the Skrulls though, Fox only owns Super-Skrull, an individual character.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So the odds are good that Fox will make this movie happen no matter how obviously disastrous it'll be. The question is what the situation will look like after the film comes out (i.e. if the film bombs but the rights are no longer at risk of automatically reverting to Marvel anytime soon). It's equally plausible at that point that Fox could attempt to negotiate a sale or that they could give themselves another seven years (iirc that's what the contract stipulates between films?) to try to reboot the franchise yet again.

Actually, I believe that the agreement is that Fox can't cheap out and make a crappy, low budget, direct to video version of the FF just to retain the rights. Otherwise, Marvel can cite breach of contract for potential damage to the FF brand. If reports are true and the director and screenwriters have been fired, time is running out to begin production on a FF film. The same thing happened to Fox with Daredevil, as they could not begin filming in time to retain the rights.

No Fox can make a cheap straight to video release.... but with Disney in control and loving that Avengers money Fox is scared to do that.

Also Fox has already made the heads of MCU mad and Disney as well with the DD contract negotiations.

So if Fox does a straight to film release, Disney is going to murder them in court.

This. Having the Fantastic Four is great and all, but it is the characters attached to them that really make them worthwhile. The Skrulls, Annhilus, Galactus and his heralds, and even Doom could all be implemented into future MCU movies in amazing ways. Having the FF rights could expand the cosmic universe in an even different direction as well.

sharbhund

I mean, the one reason it might not happen is because shooting a film and finishing its production costs money.

If Fox is faced with likely losing money on producing the film or with losing the rights if they don't produce the film, losing the rights might be preferable.

However, the optimal version of events from Fox's perspective means either producing the film and having it be a big, profitable hit or *selling* the rights back to Marvel instead of letting them simply lapse.

And *both* of those approaches require producing the film (because even if they're only looking to sell the adaptation rights, Fox can only plausibly negotiate the sale back to Marvel if it looks like Marvel isn't going to get them back for free).

And this is why you're not a studio executive at Fox. They're creative enough to imagine a world where Disney co-finances the movie, but Fox retains the character rights.

J10

Banned
Kevin Feige hyping up Ultron.

"Introducing the new characters is going to be a lot of fun for the movie," said Feige. "That ever-changing roster is very important in the Avengers comics, and so how do we start to play with that [on the big screen]? Also our bad guy is great. I think people are going to be very, very excited to see what we're doing with the voice that Joss [Whedon] is bringing to life with James Spader for Ultron. We love Ultron from the comics, and have always loved Ultron, and at no point do we want him to just be a robot. We want him to have an extreme personality and attitude, and James Spader is doing an unbelievable job. Again, for us it's always about subverting expectations. Whenever you think you know what's coming next, we surprise people or deliver it in a slightly unexpected way. And Spader is doing that with Mr. Ultron."

Actually, I believe that the agreement is that Fox can't cheap out and make a crappy, low budget, direct to video version of the FF just to retain the rights. Otherwise, Marvel can cite breach of contract for potential damage to the FF brand. If reports are true and the director and screenwriters have been fired, time is running out to begin production on a FF film. The same thing happened to Fox with Daredevil, as they could not begin filming in time to retain the rights.

Fox already made a cheap FF movie once just to keep the rights.

minty_jpg

It's finally Tuesday! What are you guys looking forward to/predicting on tonight's special? Think we'll get a real preview of Age of Ultron (probably not, it just started shooting, lol)?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's finally Tuesday! What are you guys looking forward to/predicting on tonight's special? Think we'll get a real preview of Age of Ultron (probably not, it just started shooting, lol)?

Maybe they reveal some of the new charakters in their costumes. I am really excited to finally see The Vision and the design on Ultron.

But I would rather say that we will see nothing really new.

shield

I reckon we'll get snippets of the cast talking about the film and some concept art

minty_jpg

Maybe they reveal some of the new charakters in their costumes. I am really excited to finally see The Vision and the design on Ultron.

But I would rather say that we will see nothing really new.

The more I think about it the more I feel like it'll be SDCC footage. It's weird that they didn't show this footage at the screening for this show last week though (they just told people to watch it on TV). I don't have the source on hand.

They might have already have something from the first shooting week with The Hulk in South Africa.

Just wonder? If New FF bombed at the office, would the right revert back to Marvel? I'm not sure what is the situation with GhostRider IP itself.

No, if a movie comes out, or even just goes into production, then fox gets 7 more years to hold the rights. That is why they are scrambling so much to get something out, once the rights renew they will have all the leverage and can hold out for a really good deal.

Sesha

Probably in a flashback when they depict Peter Quill's origin.
Or that, I suppose.

What if one of the Kree end up on Earth somehow, and
gets discovered by Shield and then captured? If Carol Danvers shows up in AoU, they have all the pieces ready for a Captain Marvel film or an origin in Avengers 3. It can be like Rhodey's War Machine nod in IM1. They could even give her the powers during AoU at some point.

Man, all this is reminding me of how it's a bummer that Hawkeye is absent from Cap 2. I'll be curious to see how they justify that from a narrative standpoint.

The ad for the Marvel special tonight just had parts of the SDCC Age of Ultron trailer, so I hope they show more than that. I just want them to show what he will look like in the film. They can keep everyone else secret, just show me his design.

I am debating about watching it tonight or watching Originals like I usually do. I dont want to miss anything awesome being shown on the special though.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The ad for the Marvel special tonight just had parts of the SDCC Age of Ultron trailer, so I hope they show more than that. I just want them to show what he will look like in the film. They can keep everyone else secret, just show me his design.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Showing Ultron's design (even if it's just concept art) is something they'd do at SDCC. I doubt they'd do it for a special that's really just to pump people up for Cap 2 and AoS.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Showing Ultron's design (even if it's just concept art) is something they'd do at SDCC. I doubt they'd do it for a special that's really just to pump people up for Cap 2 and AoS.

Originals it is then. Besides, I know pics and clips of the cool stuff from GotG and Avengers 2: Age of the Mecha God will show up online pretty quick.

Well, they did deliberately omit the AOU portion from the advance screeners, but given that it just started production, I wouldn't expect much. Still, it's not impossible that they could show the first looks at the Ultron/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch designs.

That said, I wouldn't expect more than five minutes, if that, of Actual New Stuff. And that includes the Agents of SHIELD preview and the previously screencapped GotG footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom