• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

So what do you guys think Marvel will show/announce at SDCC this year? This I what I think will be shown:

Definites:
Avengers Age of Ultron trailer
Ant-Man trailer minus special effects. (I don't think filming has begun yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Maybe:
Cap 3 and Thor 3 subtitles are announce.
Special screening of GotG
Dr. Strange movie announcement.
1 more Phase 3 movie teased/announced.

I personally don't think they will announce all of their Phase 3 movies at this year's SDCC. They will most likely hold their biggest surprises (Black Panther?*) for next year after AoU is out.

*Black Panther will be first teased during AoU post credit scene and then later announced to be in his own feature film at SDCC 2015. Mark my words!

TDLink

So what do you guys think Marvel will show/announce at SDCC this year? This I what I think will be shown:

Definites:
Avengers Age of Ultron trailer
Ant-Man trailer minus special effects. (I don't think filming has begun yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Maybe:
Cap 3 and Thor 3 subtitles are announce.
Special screening of GotG
Dr. Strange movie announcement.
1 more Phase 3 movie teased/announced.

I personally don't think they will announce all of their Phase 3 movies at this year's SDCC. They will most likely hold their biggest surprises (Black Panther?*) for next year after AoU is out.

*Black Panther will be first teased during AoU post credit scene and then later announced to be in his own feature film at SDCC 2015. Mark my words!

My expectation from a couple of days ago:

I expect SDCC this year to be almost entirely focused on GotG, although probably with some first real footage of Avengers 2 and a tease for Ant Man. They'll probably restate the Cap 3 date being May 2016...and then if we're lucky announce Doctor Strange is the other movie. Don't expect any more than that though, and really I'm not sure if I even expect all of that. Huge focus on GotG + Avengers 2 footage of some sort is my base expectation.

Next year's con is after A2 + Ant Man, that's where I expect them to really begin delving into talking about Phase 3.

I also expect a separate TV panel where they talk about the future of AoS (if it has a future), the Netflix series (at least Daredevil, if not more), and Agent Carter if it is happening.

I don't think we'll see Black Panther in Phase 3. Marvel seems aware of the growing pressure to get a solo female-lead movie out and with ScarJo possibly taking a break after her pregnancy, they may fast-track plans for Ms. Marvel or something.

My random ass guess/dreams bound to be crushed:

Phase 3: Ant-Man, Captain America: (Insert Subtitle Here), Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, Ms./Captain Marvel, The Mighty Avengers

Phase 4: The Black Panther, Doctor Strange 2, Indestructible Hulk, Ms./Captain Marvel 2, Black Widow/Secret Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, The New Avengers

Loki fucks everything up as ruler of Asgard and Thor is killed among many other Asgardians in Ragnarok. He offers the Tesseract to Thanos in exchange for assistance, but Thanos simply invades Asgard and kills Loki for it. The Avengers assemble on a ruined Asgard to fight off Thanos with the assistance of Doctor Strange, but a number of them are killed in the process and the rest barely escape with their lives.

Phase 4 can be a kind of post-Avengers Disassembled thing with no one knowing who will defend the Earth in their absence. Doctor Strange can meet The Defenders, Banner is abducted by The Leader, Fury sends Natasha, Clint and Vision to Wakanda to request assistance from The Black Panther, and the GotG contact Earth when they find themselves under attack from Thanos' forces. The New Avengers take the fight to Thanos to recover the Infinity Gauntlet and resurrect the fallen Avengers, DBZ style. Thor does not return until Phase 5 when Asgard mysteriously appears over the Midwestern US.

The new team can include:

Doctor Strange
Ant-Man & Wasp
War Machine
Black Panther
Captain America (Bucky Barnes)
Luke Cage & Iron Fist
Hawkeye
Ms./Captain Marvel
Vision

BAM, where's my paycheck Marvel, just did all your work for you for the next 6 years.

So what year does your scenerio to? Sounds like it goes past 2028.

Whatever they do end up doing, I see them sticking to doing an Avengers event every 3 years, but I'd like to see them extend the average "phase" so they can fit in an extra movie or two.

Namikaze1

That sounds all good and dandy but Black Panther = Phase 3. Believe! Damnit, believe!

I'm gonna get my hopes and dreams crushed aren't I?

I wonder how they could fit BP in with no Namor and no Doom.

They're not needed. Just establish Black Panther and Wakanda as a wholly independent thing from the rest of the Avengers, and build him up as the proper force to be reckoned with if you cross Wakanda's borders. When shit gets real and Earth is threatened, he joins the team because the destruction of Earth means the destruction of Wakanda and his people.

I think Marvel will eventually get Namor back and it would be cool to see the dynamic between two pissy kings like that, but he's definitely not a necessity for Black Panther or anything.

I still think Phase 3 will follow a very clear tick/tock rhythm.

2015: Avengers 2 -> Ant-Man
2016: Cap 3, [Doctor Strange?]
2017: Thor 3, [GotG 2? Captain Marvel? Hulk 2?]
2018: Avengers 3, [who knows what's next - it's too early to speculate about Phase 4, frankly]

The big wildcard at this point is the other 2017 film. My money's on GotG 2 unless GotG does badly (in which case a Planet Hulk or a Captain Marvel could pick up the Cosmic-Marvel slack somewhat), but I absolutely agree that the pressure's on for Marvel to make a film starring a female superhero as the lead.

Since we know we're getting Ant-Man and Vision, my top wish-list for Avengers at this point has got to be Carol Danvers, Stephen Strange, and T'Challa, but realistically I don't think we're particularly likely to get more than one of those between Avengers 2 and 3.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I like my BP sour and mean.

The character is flexible enough, though, I'm just kinda miffed writers will have to ignore some of his most amazing stories.

...Namor and Doom? im guessing your referring to the mini series where Doom retired T'Challa , and the recent AvX stuff with Namor which cant ever happen in the MCU cause Fox will never let Xmen go. Actually since storm was his wife xmen would be needed for both.

Not like they can do the full illuminati anyway no prof X or Reed Richards.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It has, they have shown a couple of seconds of footage in the "Assembling an Universe" special.

I'm curious about how folks think they'll line up six Infinity Stones for Avengers 3 (and this is assuming that Avengers 3 is about Thanos and that he won't be held off until Avengers 4).

We've already got:

-the Tesseract
-the Aether
-whatever the stone is they're chasing in Guardians of the Galaxy

I know there was a lot of speculation early on that the gem in Loki's sceptre was the Mind Gem, but as of the end of Thor 2 we know that they're generally going with things that are larger objects and calling them the "Infinity Stones," not "gems." For now, I'm going to rule that one out as being one of the Stones, I think.

My question is: which films are likely candidates to introduce further ones?

- I think Dr. Strange is basically a lock for Infinity Stone #4.
- I can't see any more of them being hidden on Earth, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.
- I also can't see more of them being introduced through the Asgard mythology, since that one already covers the Tesseract and the Aether. Thor 3 is very likely to have Loki give the Tesseract to Thanos at some point, though, I think.
- Could Ant-Man somehow involve the Negative Zone? I kind of doubt it, but I know it's being posited as a heist film, so perhaps whatever's being stolen is one of the stones? I kind of doubt it, but we'll see. I feel like the Negative Zone would be a good place for one of them to be hidden.

Thoughts?

- I can't see any more of them being hidden on Earth, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.
- I also can't see more of them being introduced through the Asgard mythology, since that one already covers the Tesseract and the Aether. Thor 3 is very likely to have Loki give the Tesseract to Thanos at some point, though, I think.
- Could Ant-Man somehow involve the Negative Zone? I kind of doubt it, but I know it's being posited as a heist film, so perhaps whatever's being stolen is one of the stones? I kind of doubt it, but we'll see. I feel like the Negative Zone would be a good place for one of them to be hidden.

Thoughts?

Is the Negative Zone tied up in the FF rights? Isn't that what the FF reboot is supposed to focus on? (Negative Zone and Annihilus?)

Agreed that Doctor Strange will probably encounter an Infinity Stone at some point during his training, they may even make the Eye of Agamotto itself one of them.

How about Ms. Marvel? Make it so one of them is in the possession of the Kree. They could even make it so that's how she gets her powers from Mar-Vehl instead of the Psyche-Magnetron.

Is the Negative Zone tied up in the FF rights? Isn't that what the FF reboot is supposed to focus on? (Negative Zone and Annihilus?)

Agreed that Doctor Strange will probably encounter an Infinity Stone at some point during his training, they may even make the Eye of Agamotto itself one of them.

How about Ms. Marvel? Make it so one of them is in the possession of the Kree. They could even make it so that's how she gets her powers from Mar-Vehl instead of the Psyche-Magnetron.

If Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers is more likely to go straight to Captain Marvel in the film universe, I think) gets a movie prior to the big Thanos showdown happening, I could certainly see that happening, yeah.

At this point I don't even really want a Thor 3, I'd rather have them introduce one more new character like BP, Ms. Marvel, or a Nova solo movie. But I'm not Feige

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't know if it's been posted, but interview with the writers of Cap 2. Key thing to note here is that the Strange namedrop was apparently not a call Feige made, even though they approved it. It's a neat touch, especially considering a Strange movie is 99% happening now, but expecting ties between the two is a reach. They also talk about Hawkeye's role in the MCU and how he was almost in the film but it became too much.

Some random thoughts about the last week in the MCU:

- I definitely feel like they're moving towards Avengers Disassembled. AoS is currently facing similar crisis, and I watched a ScarJo interview earlier today where she basically hinted that the Age of Ultron plot revolves around individual cogs in the Avengers wheel having different things going on and that tying into the story. Coincidentally, Ultron, Strange and Scarlet Witch are implicated in the source material as well. The change to Stark tower, and Feige hinting at the removal of a safety net

- I don't think Zola turns into or influences Ultron. I think they wrapped that up pretty convincingly and an algorithm redux might happen with Ultron, but I think they'll want to tread away from covering similar territory like they did in Phase 1 with Thor and Avengers (Loki).

- I think we'll see Hydra come and go fairly quickly. The Cap 3 writers don't seem to hot on it, and I feel this is reflective of Feige's influence as well. At least they like MODOK!

- I don't think they'll kill Evans and replace him with Shaw. Too risky, even for Marvel. I don't think the audience has an affinity for Shaw yet, and one movie (Cap 3) won't be enough. There was still damn near contempt in Bucky's eyes in the post-credits scene. It would be too radical; don't think the same can happen for War Machine either. Winter Soldier was great and all, but I don't think there was enough exposition of the Winter Soldier himself to warrant that. Seems like they may not even continue with the Bucky story for Cap 3.

- Not feeling the ditching of the eye patch for glasses. At all. Maybe he'll get it back when S.H.I.E.L.D. resurfaces.

So, when is does the MCU-timeline cut come out? The one where all existing material is presented in chronological order in one big go.

If they did it phase wise (fan cut I would have to presume) I might actually try to get through it. Try.

So, when is does the MCU-timeline cut come out? The one where all existing material is presented in chronological order in one big go.

If they did it phase wise (fan cut I would have to presume) I might actually try to get through it. Try.

I don't think they'll release it as a viewable cut of things but they've already put out one draft of everything leading up to Avengers. Hasn't really been done for Phase 2, though, and that's all a bit more complicated given the way the films do and don't interact with Agents of SHIELD - it's not just movies and one-shots anymore.

I'm sure we'll get an official timeline update though.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I'm curious about how folks think they'll line up six Infinity Stones for Avengers 3 (and this is assuming that Avengers 3 is about Thanos and that he won't be held off until Avengers 4).

We've already got:

-the Tesseract
-the Aether
-whatever the stone is they're chasing in Guardians of the Galaxy

I know there was a lot of speculation early on that the gem in Loki's sceptre was the Mind Gem, but as of the end of Thor 2 we know that they're generally going with things that are larger objects and calling them the "Infinity Stones," not "gems." For now, I'm going to rule that one out as being one of the Stones, I think.

Thoughts?

I think based on Cap 2, we have the following stones in play:

Tesseract - Space Gem
Loki's Scepter - Mind Gem - SHIELD had it after Avengers, HYDRA got a hold of it thanks to them being within shield.
Aether - Power Gem - From Thor: The Dark World

Remaining Stones yet to be in play:

Reality - Possibly in play in Avengers 2, related to Scarlet Witch's reality bending powers?
Time - Maybe this is the one in Guardians of the Galaxy?
Soul - I could also see this one being in play in Guardians, or leading up to Avengers 3.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This sounds awesome.

shield

Imagine if they spent 10 years and all these films slowly introducing the Infinity Stones, gradually building up to an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation for Avengers 3... and it sucked. That would be a shame

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Imagine if they spent 10 years and all these films slowly introducing the Infinity Stones, gradually building up to an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation for Avengers 3... and it sucked. That would be a shame

I never read Infinity Gauntlet, will buy the coming Omnibus, that will include all the Storys... But could they be able to make it work even when they cant use Galctus and the Silver Surfer?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I never read Infinity Gauntlet, will buy the coming Omnibus, that will include all the Storys... But could they be able to make it work even when they cant use Galctus and the Silver Surfer?

Sure, neither of them are particularly pivotal to the story.

shield

It would probably be a fairly loose adaptation anyway, much like how the Winter Soldier isn't a direct adaptation of the story in the comic

I don't think they'll release it as a viewable cut of things but they've already put out one draft of everything leading up to Avengers. Hasn't really been done for Phase 2, though, and that's all a bit more complicated given the way the films do and don't interact with Agents of SHIELD - it's not just movies and one-shots anymore.

I'm sure we'll get an official timeline update though.

Timeline probably will come with Avengers 2.

Just use THIS for now.

I'm aware that they would never release it. Would be interesting to watch though, although I guess it would kind of defeat the purpose. Kinda like Pulp Fiction in chronological order.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I know, we have to acnowledge it as Canon, but I still hate the fact that most of Phase 1 happens during one Week. It would feel far more real, when all these stuff would happen during a couple of months So it just feels constructed.

By the way, when Nick Fury appears in Iron Man 1 and talks about other superheroes. Do we know to who he is referring? Captain America had been in ice for over 60 years and was yet to be discovered, and Hulk can barely be described as a hero.

I know it was just a fun thing for fans but it still begs the question since it's canon.

By the way, when Nick Fury appears in Iron Man 1 and talks about other superheroes. Do we know to who he is referring? Captain America had been in ice for over 60 years and was yet to be discovered, and Hulk can barely be described as a hero.

I know it was just a fun thing for fans but it still begs the question since it's canon.

He knew Cap existed though and in the MCU he is regarded as the "first" superhero I think.

jmood88

- I think we'll see Hydra come and go fairly quickly. The Cap 3 writers don't seem to hot on it, and I feel this is reflective of Feige's influence as well. At least they like MODOK!
It seems strange that people who aren't interested in Hydra would have them play a huge part of the plot for the second Captain America and involved in the next Avengers movie.

Cap on ice, Hulk out somewhere on the run.

And possibly Hank Pym back in the '60s-'80s. We'll find out when Ant-Man comes out.

Ovid

Avengers Initiative.

Initiative...it was in the planning stages. It was never officially recognized by the WSC. Fury was laughed at by the notion of even putting this "team" together.

BLACKLAC

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-cinematic-universe-box-office/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZqh_btLxQ

This week’s release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier brought the domestic gross of the nine films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to $2,463,300,000 and counting. That’s more than the eight Harry Potter films, seven Star Wars films (including The Clone Wars), and 24 James Bond films, making it the highest grossing franchise in American history…not adjusted for inflation. Read more details on the Marvel Cinematic Universe box office below.

AMUSIX

Starlord holding that leg over his shoulder is awesome...

2knkwj8l.jpg

I think the next Thor movie should go an entirely different direction:
4AYIKk1m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom