• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much. I don't see them coming out with movies that are just titled "INFINITY GAUNTLET," "CIVIL WAR," "FEAR ITSELF," etc. The Avengers name will let people know that this is a big cross-over event they need to see, and it could really be any combination of characters. I fully expect them to make use of the New Avengers and Mighty Avengers names at some point. Feige and Whedon are already playing up the fact that The Avengers have always had a fluid and changing roster, they won't have any problem giving certain characters a break as long as they have someone else to fill the spot.

I would bet 10 bucks that the Phase 4 Avengers Movie will be called New Avengers.

No doubt bro. Kang The Conqueror for New Avengers plz.

then WEST COAST AVENGERS

Ovid

Well, I think I can better illustrate what I feel could be a potential problem for the MCU in 5 years or so.

Okay, it's not like they're completely out of options. They could do a big Hulk movie in Phase 4, they could do a Guardians sequel, and launch a few other new entries - Black Panther, Nova, Inhumans, Submariner, etc.
Scratch his name from that list. The rest are up for grabs,

TDLink

Marvel is clearly going for a rotating roster in terms of Avengers. After Phase 3 there can easily be sequels for Ant Man or Doctor Strange, there can also be solo movies for those who didn't have them before such as Black Widow/Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver, The Vision, Falcon, War Machine, whoever they're going to introduce in Avengers 3, etc.

They also have those Netflix series coming up, they could always use those characters for full movies after the series are done.

On the cosmic side they have GotG here and if that blows up in popularity Feige has made it clear that they would be working on that stuff seperate (mostly) to the Avengers stuff. Beyond GotG 2/3, it's easy to see how there could be a solo Nova series, a Ronan series, potentially other solo cosmic characters as well.

Marvel is building a strong enough universe where they don't need to rely on Iron Man, Cap, and Thor all the way. If GotG takes off they have the cosmic stuff, if Ant Man and Doctor Strange take off they have those. Plus they have all these secondary Avengers characters they have been introducing in the movies.

If they've made one mistake I think it was having only 4 films in Phase 2 (before Avengers 2), making only one of them a new property (GotG), and having that one be not Avengers. I'm really excited about the film and the possibilities it will open up when it's successful, but they should have released Doctor Strange or something in Phase 2 rather than 3 since as it stands there are no "new" Avengers introduced this phase until the actual Avengers film.

TDLink

They should have swapped Ant-Man and Age of Ultron.

This I agree with, especially since they are releasing only two months apart from each other.

How are they able to hold on to the rights without making anything? o_O

IIRC, Marvel let them renew the license last time it came up since they (at least at that time) had no plans to use Namor and it was free money for them. I believe that decision was made back in 2009 or 10 so it won't be too much longer before they can use him again if they want (7 years from the license renewal). Granted, they could also just let Universal renew again, their plans right now seem pretty solid.

Wilbur

Banned
The cast of the MCU up to and including Ant-Man has 57 Academy Award nominations between them, with 11 wins.

That's some pedigree for comic book movies innit.

duckroll

Makes sense if Marvel gets free money and they don't plan on using the character anytime soon, but I wonder what benefit there is for Universal to renew it when they don't seem to have any plans to make a movie either. Kinda odd. Were there plans they had which fell through? I don't recall ever reading about any serious plan to make a Namor movie.

TDLink

Makes sense if Marvel gets free money and they don't plan on using the character anytime soon, but I wonder what benefit there is for Universal to renew it when they don't seem to have any plans to make a movie either. Kinda odd. Were there plans they had which fell through? I don't recall ever reading about any serious plan to make a Namor movie.

Universal was trying to get a Namor film off the ground late in 2006. They had a script and a director hired even. I'm not sure if there have been any efforts since then, but they obviously renewed it with the intention of utilising the property. They still have a few years to do something if they wanted.

AMUSIX

The biggest danger to the other studios having the rights to these other heroes is genre fatigue. If it's just Marvel on one side and WB/DC on the other putting out superhero films, they come out in a fairly steady, but even pace. When you add Universal and FOX and others, then you risk seeing too many films in too short a time.

They could be paying to renew and Marvel hasn't had any interest in taking the rights back for now.

If I remember correctly, the rights were just renewed in 2010 and I think they expire again this year. I for some reason remember it being a 3 or 4 year contract.

They should have swapped Ant-Man and Age of Ultron.

They really should have... if only Ant-Man could have gone into production 6 months sooner, it could have released 3 months before Avengers 2 instead. I'm interested to see how they make it all work though, with Pym, Ultron and Vision.

as far as future movies and direction of the MCU goes, I see Phase 3 having a lot of room to open things up.

Phase 3 could look like:
Ant-Man (2015) -> Captain America 3 (2016) -> Doctor Strange (2016) -> Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017) -> Thor 3 (2017) - > Captain Marvel or Nova (2018) - Indestructible Hulk (2018) -> Avengers 3 (2019)

Phase 4: (pulling random names out of a hat)
Black Panther, Black Widow/Hawkeye, Loki, Hulk 3, Dr. Strange 2, Inhumans, GotG 3, Avengers 4

they have so many places to go and genres to explore that I really hope they don't run out of steam before they really get into all of it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Isn't Ant-Man next year?
Also, I could see them moving CA3 or T3 to Phase 4, depending on how things stand at the end of Phase 2, never mind that they'll have to move a to 6+ movie phases soon if they keep this up
and I'll watch all of them

duckroll

Isn't Ant-Man next year?
Also, I could see them moving CA3 or T3 to Phase 4, depending on how things stand at the end of Phase 2, never mind that they'll have to move a to 6+ movie phases soon if they keep this up
and I'll watch all of them

Ant Man is coming out next year after Avengers 2. Captain America 3 is confirmed to be a May 2016 film, the Russos are directing, and the script is being developed right now. It's locked for Phase 3. Thor 3 is also confirmed to have writers attached developing a script, so it seems unlikely that it'll be delayed to Phase 4.

If I remember correctly, the rights were just renewed in 2010 and I think they expire again this year. I for some reason remember it being a 3 or 4 year contract.

Yeah. It could just be an extension for any specified amount of time. Like I mentioned somewhere before, Fox got extensions on Daredevil twice before they lost it. Once renewal time comes up, I'd bet Marvel can negotiate new contract terms that don't have to adhere to the 7 year rule.

I honestly won't be surprised if we don't see Thanos as the "main villian" untik the end of Phase 4 or 5.

no way they're going to stall it that long, they will fight Thanos in Avengers 3, but maybe left Thanos only presumably dead or something, a tease that he's still alive at the end of Avengers 3

I'm thinking:

2015: Avengers 2, Ant-Man

2016: Cap 3, ????

2017: Thor 3, ????

2018: Avengers 3, ???? (or ????, Avengers 3)

where one of the ???? films is very likely to be Dr. Strange and one of them is very likely to be GotG 2.

Marvel's going to need to start announcing full titles for some of these films pretty damn soon, by the way. I wonder how they'll handle doing that while making it feel like the no-doubt-important aftermath of Avengers 2 isn't getting spoiled.

jmood88

I'm thinking:

2015: Avengers 2, Ant-Man

2016: Cap 3, ????

2017: Thor 3, ????

2018: Avengers 3, ???? (or ????, Avengers 3)

where one of the ???? films is very likely to be Dr. Strange and one of them is very likely to be GotG 2.

Marvel's going to need to start announcing full titles for some of these films pretty damn soon, by the way. I wonder how they'll handle doing that while making it feel like the no-doubt-important aftermath of Avengers 2 isn't getting spoiled.

Why do they need to announce full titles any time soon? What's the rush?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really dont expect the announcements for Phase III until 2015. We will get them in the Comic Con before Avengers 2. Maybe rather between Avengers and Ant Man.

bananas

Banned
They didn't announce the Phase 2 movie titles until the SDCC after the Avengers came out. So expect them to announce Phase 3 titles in 2015.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Most of them are as good as announced anyway.

Captain America 3
Thor 3
Ant Man
Dr. Strange
Avengers 3

And depending on the success: Guardians of the Galaxy 2

When they dont go the three movies a year direction, I dont really expect any surprises. Maybe a fourth Iron Man with Downey Jr., but even that is highly doubtable.

TDLink

I expect SDCC this year to be almost entirely focused on GotG, although probably with some first real footage of Avengers 2 and a tease for Ant Man. They'll probably restate the Cap 3 date being May 2016...and then if we're lucky announce Doctor Strange is the other movie. Don't expect any more than that though, and really I'm not sure if I even expect all of that. Huge focus on GotG + Avengers 2 footage of some sort is my base expectation.

Next year's con is after A2 + Ant Man, that's where I expect them to really begin delving into talking about Phase 3.

Lirlond

It'd be cool if the phase 4 movies all led into World War Hulk. With the illuminati set up and hulk 3 being Planet Hulk.

It'd be cool if the phase 4 movies all led into World War Hulk. With the illuminati set up and hulk 3 being Planet Hulk.

World War Hulk was AWFUL. They can figure out a way to set up Planet Hulk that has a villain shoot Hulk into space instead. I'd prefer that.

Showaddy

Pretty much impossible to do World War Hulk without the X-Men & F4 (which is ignoring the fact they should never do it even if they could).

Planet Hulk could work if they re-tooled the story behind it, have Thanos send Hulk away to an alien planet to make Earth easier to crack or something.

duckroll

They don't need to tweak much to do Planet Hulk honestly. The level of tech they've shown so far in the MCU is enough to put Hulk in a rocket and shoot him into space. I think World War Hulk is possible without X-men and F4 too, but it's just such a stupid direction to go with the character I hope they never go there.

Showaddy

It's not so much playing with the tech but playing with the background behind the story.

Everyone loves Banner and Hulks controllable in the MCU so there no reason for Stark to be a dick and fire him into space. Having a villain take Hulk off Earth gives him a reason to survive and get home without all the World War Hulk stuff.

duckroll

The Hulk now might not be the Hulk of the future though. In Avengers we already saw that a little influence from Loki's staff is enough to drive him crazy. Who knows what would happen in the future. They're definitely have to make up a lot of their own plot leading up to it, but the Planet Hulk storyline itself would be pretty fun as it is I think. It's basically Space Gladiator... with Hulk. :D

Everyone loves Banner and Hulks controllable in the MCU so there no reason for Stark to be a dick and fire him into space. Having a villain take Hulk off Earth gives him a reason to survive and get home without all the World War Hulk stuff.

From that artwork from the special
The Hulkbuster
Maybe he's losing control, and thats the direction they are going. Having him byfrosted away would make the most sense.

okdakor

If they have to send the Hulk in space, planet Hulk is not what I want... I'd like to see Marvel going crazy & cosmic like in the old comics, with Hulk on counter-earth fighting Man-beast and becoming friend with Adam Warlock.

jph139

Planet Hulk could work if they re-tooled the story behind it, have Thanos send Hulk away to an alien planet to make Earth easier to crack or something.

Or just have Hulk charge him mid-movie and get a bitchslap so powerful he's knocked across the universe. No buildup, no other appearances in the movie, just gone. Have a post-credits scene of him waking up on an alien world and smashing whoever finds him.

(This is ridiculous and makes no sense but would be pretty amazing.)

minty_jpg

Or just have Hulk charge him mid-movie and get a bitchslap so powerful he's knocked across the universe. No buildup, no other appearances in the movie, just gone. Have a post-credits scene of him waking up on an alien world and smashing whoever finds him.

(This is ridiculous and makes no sense but would be pretty amazing.)

As I started reading this, I thought you were crazy for it. Now, I need this. I need this!

Blader

They didn't announce the Phase 2 movie titles until the SDCC after the Avengers came out. So expect them to announce Phase 3 titles in 2015.

Feige has said they'll announce some this year, presumably at Comic Con.

My guess is they'll lock Cap 3, Dr. Strange, and Thor 3 (though probably without subtitles) and that's it. They're not going to announce Guardians 2 or Avengers 3 before their predecessors are even out.

Pretty much impossible to do World War Hulk without the X-Men & F4 (which is ignoring the fact they should never do it even if they could).

I'd actually rather they do it sooner than that. Especially because Hulk was such a trump card in Avengers, I'd enjoy seeing Ultron shoot him into space toward the beginning of the film's final battle in order to neutralize him.

Depending on how they wanted to do it, they could even try to find a way to do a Hulk/GotG tie-in film. It'd be a good way to get them *and* the hulk rocketing back toward Earth for the confrontation with Thanos in Avengers 3. Not to mention a Hulk vs. Drax fight onscreen would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom