• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J10

Banned
"I know we are trying to make a more grounded version of the superhero film."

Grounded is not the kind of approach that fits Fantastic Four well.

Reed Richards is just a guy with a Bachelor's degree in IT who does Yoga poorly.

Sue Storm is ugly and goes unnoticed.

Johnny Storm is a burn victim who still gets tons of ass because he's really confident and outgoing and has a huge dick (hence casting a black dude).

Ben Grimm is just fat and angry.

ZeroGravity

"I know we are trying to make a more grounded version of the superhero film."

Grounded is not the kind of approach that fits Fantastic Four well.
It's kind of sad to see film makers still trying to chase the TDK approach to superhero movies. It's what doomed Amazing Spider-Man, Man of Steel, and it's what will doom this movie and any other movie that tries it.

The success of Marvel Studios' movies has shown that audiences are more than receptive to the alternative. Why are people still trying to re-create the one fluke success to the other method?

It's kind of sad to see film makers still trying to chase the TDK approach to superhero movies. It's what doomed Amazing Spider-Man, Man of Steel, and it's what will doom this movie and any other movie that tries it.

The success of Marvel Studios' movies has shown that audiences are more than receptive to the alternative. Why are people still trying to re-create the one fluke success to the other method?
I thought they embraced the fantastic a lot in Man of Steel. If they tried a more grounded approach, we wouldn't have gotten a Krypton quite as crazy.
What Man of Steel was missing was a heart and soul. It wanted to be deadly serious. That was one of the many things that hurt it. But I would not call the film grounded.

TDLink

Haha. Yeah this is a pretty big indication that everything coming out of FOX regarding this movie is total bull right now. The lead actress hasn't tried the costume on...or even read the script? And filming is supposed to start in two weeks? Impossible.

Hopefully the production never gets underway. FOX is definitely fumbling again, just like they did with Daredevil.

jmood88

How in the world was Amazing Spider-Man trying to be as "grounded" as The Dark Knight?

BLACKLAC

OeCnHE3.jpg

Tom_Cody

No. James Bond franchise earned around 13 billion when adjusted.
Star Wars would also experience a big shift.

That said, comparing 9 films to 25 is kind of silly anyway. This whole thing is like trying to compare baseball statistics from different eras. You can't take it too seriously, but it's still fun.

TDLink

While it's an absolute joke that Kate Mara doesn't know shit about a film, she's supposedly filming in two weeks, it also probably means nothing she says about it should be taken on her word. I mean, if she hasn't read a script (I'm starting to wonder if one even exists) how would she even know if it was grounded or not? She was probably just pulling crap out of her butt to try to appease the interviewer.

While it's an absolute joke that Kate Mara doesn't know shit about a film, she's supposedly filming in two weeks, it also probably means nothing she says about it should be taken on her word. I mean, if she hasn't read a script (I'm starting to wonder if one even exists) how would she even know if it was grounded or not? She was probably just pulling crap out of her butt to try to appease the interviewer.

Well, it sounds like something they'd say when pitching the role to her. "Fantastic Four is a comic book and we are going for a more grounded approach than X-Men or Spider-Man."

And that's probably the only thing she can say about it because they are pretty much rushing into production and won't be filming any scenes with the leads for another month or two probably.

neoanarch

Its still in theatres but these days the blurays come out quick. What do you guys hope the CA:TWS one-shot will be? I'm hoping they show us what Hawkeye was doing.

duckroll

Its still in theatres but these days the blurays come out quick. What do you guys hope the CA:TWS one-shot will be? I'm hoping they show us what Hawkeye was doing.

There might not be enough production time for a TWS linked One-Shot on TWS disc. Maybe on Guardians.

The first One-shot was linked to Incredible Hulk but released with Thor, the second One-shot was linked to Thor but released with Captain America, the fourth One-shot was linked to Captain America but released with Iron Man 3, the fifth One-shot was linked to Iron Man 3 but released with Thor 2. Avengers was the only blu-ray to have a One-shot attached to it which is linked to the film itself.

The One-shot on TWS will probably be something related to Thor 2. Maybe Loki.

Tom_Cody

Maybe a story involving the recovery of the shield at the end? That seems like a deliberate (mini) plot hole.

neoanarch

There might not be enough production time for a TWS linked One-Shot on TWS disc. Maybe on Guardians.

The first One-shot was linked to Incredible Hulk but released with Thor, the second One-shot was linked to Thor but released with Captain America, the fourth One-shot was linked to Captain America but released with Iron Man 3, the fifth One-shot was linked to Iron Man 3 but released with Thor 2. Avengers was the only blu-ray to have a One-shot attached to it which is linked to the film itself.

The One-shot on TWS will probably be something related to Thor 2. Maybe Loki.

I don't think they will always stick to that schedule. Besides they had plans for Hawkeye in CA2 and he is currently filming Avengers 2. They could probably shoot the one-shot over 1-2 days showing what they already had planned for him.

TDLink

I'm also in the camp hoping for a Hawkeye one shot. I don't really feel we need a Thor-themed one so it would be neat if we just skip that and get Hawkeye on TWS' release. In general I would prefer if the one-shot included is linked to the movie it's on, rather than release on the next movie.

duckroll

They had plans for Hawkeye? I thought they said they couldn't think of any way where he would make sense in the story. Feige said that Hawkeye would have a big role in Avengers 2 and we'll find out what he was up to there. Doubt he's worth a One-Shot. There are so many more interesting things they could do with stuff that won't actually already be in our face in Avengers 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Doing a Hawkeye one shot adapting elements from the most recent Hawkeye series is perfect. Not only does it give Hawkeye the exposure/attention he needs and arguably deserves, but it would be a great tongue-in-cheek way to address the "why isn't x superhero coming to help y superhero in y superhero's film?!?!" Not that it needs addressing but it would be fun and relevant to the MCU simultaneously.

They had plans for Hawkeye? I thought they said they couldn't think of any way where he would make sense in the story. Feige said that Hawkeye would have a big role in Avengers 2 and we'll find out what he was up to there. Doubt he's worth a One-Shot. There are so many more interesting things they could do with stuff that won't actually already be in our face in Avengers 2.

The screenwriters essentially said that they already had Black Widow serving as a present-day SHIELD-based foil to Cap, and that Hawkeye would thus have been redundant:

Were there any characters you thought you were going to use who didn't make it into the final version? Hawkeye, for example?
McFeely: It came up and we played with it, but we didn't pick Black Widow out of nothing. She's sort of the embodiment of the morally murky world we live in now, and we wanted to put her in stark relief with Cap's point of view. If she's serving that function, and she's got the same job as Hawkeye, then we've got to find a reason for Hawkeye to be in it, and we don't want to disservice anybody. You can take smaller villains and give them small roles — like Batroc has a 15-minute sequence in this movie, and that's okay — but you can't really do that with Hawkeye. So we couldn't make that work.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just watched Assembling a Universe and I can't describe it exactly, but I had a sustained orgasm of goosebumps throughout the entire thing. God, what they have created is truly magical.

This notion of allegiances between heroes, splintering of teams, the Avengers coming back through necessity, more globe-trotting, more in-fighting, etc. is really interesting for the sequel. I still feel like they're leaning towards mushing a bit of Disassembled into an overarching Infinity Gauntlet storyline, but it is ever-evolviing.

The globe trotting bit has me most interested, especially since we know S.H.I.E.L.D. will not have resources to aid with travel in the film. Would be cool if they could have like 3 different teams all trying to solve the mystery of Ultron independently, in different nations, and then coming together at the end and perhaps creating a more formal structure to inevitably deal with cosmic threats in Phase 3.

I just watched Assembling a Universe and I can't describe it exactly, but I had a sustained orgasm of goosebumps throughout the entire thing. God, what they have created is truly magical.

This notion of allegiances between heroes, splintering of teams, the Avengers coming back through necessity, more globe-trotting, more in-fighting, etc. is really interesting for the sequel. I still feel like they're leaning towards mushing a bit of Disassembled into an overarching Infinity Gauntlet storyline, but it is ever-evolviing.

The globe trotting bit has me most interested, especially since we know S.H.I.E.L.D. will not have resources to aid with travel in the film. Would be cool if they could have like 3 different teams all trying to solve the mystery of Ultron independently, in different nations, and then coming together at the end and perhaps creating a more formal structure to inevitably deal with cosmic threats in Phase 3.

This would be a excellent template for these future Avengers sequels.

I don't think there was a role for Hawkeye in the film, but I *did* find it weird that Black Widow wasn't at least like "It sucks to have your best friend mind-controlled by the bad guys, huh? I know that feel, bro." Felt like it would have been a very easy and appropriate thing to mention.

Tom_Cody

Loki + Lorelei setting up the next Thor movie.

Except that you can see the shield next to the bed in the hospital.
Yes. I mean how it got back to him from where it was in the bottom of the river. Maybe I'm thinking too small here, but the first few one-shots were stories like that. I just think that the shield is iconic enough that this would make sense.

sol_bad

Has anyone ever got any of their future fantasies correct regarding the MCU movies?
I see it all the time,"imagine if this happened", "what i this happened?", "I think it would makes sense if Y scenario occurred".

Tom_Cody

Has anyone ever got any of their future fantasies correct regarding the MCU movies?
I see it all the time,"imagine if this happened", "what i this happened?", "I think it would makes sense if Y scenario occurred".
That's kind of besides the point. It's just fun to speculate.

To answer your question more specifically, I'm under the impression that they follow nerd speculation to some extent to ensure that they can keep surprising audiences.

duckroll

Sure. After watching the first Captain America, my first thought was "they would be totally stupid if they don't do Winter Soldier as the sequel."

:)

Has there been any buzz regarding what direction they have planned for the future Hulk films? It seems that they had Leader set up in The Incredible Hulk but I think it'd be nice if they brought in She-Hulk in some way. Movie could start with some element of Leader's overall plot putting Jennifer in the emergency room and bringing in Banner for the blood transfusion. I just think it'd be nice to have a movie where Hulk has an ally on his side rather than playing the lone fugitive once again. Also adds in another mate for Avengers 3 without the need of a standalone movie.

Blader

They also wouldn't want to waste one of Renner's appearances on a one-shot.

Has there been any buzz regarding what direction they have planned for the future Hulk films? It seems that they had Leader set up in The Incredible Hulk but I think it'd be nice if they brought in She-Hulk in some way. Movie could start with some element of Leader's overall plot putting Jennifer in the emergency room and bringing in Banner for the blood transfusion. I just think it'd be nice to have a movie where Hulk has an ally on his side rather than playing the lone fugitive once again. Also adds in another mate for Avengers 3 without the need of a standalone movie.

No idea where they go, but they definitely need to at least introduce Jen the next chance they get, even if it's not in a Hulk movie. She-Hulk in the MCU is one of my biggest nerd dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom