• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

vader.jpg

So because I don't like Wakanda I'm called a racist?

Well done guys.

Lol, I don't think anyone called you racist.

But for real though. What's so dumb or unbelievable about about an isolationist ubertech country in a universe where Norse Gods are real aliens from another dimension, sentient trees and anthropomorphic raccoons roam the galaxy, A billionaire flies around in a robot exoskeleton for fun, a super man from the 40's was frozen in ice and revived 70 years later, and another guy turns in to a giant unstoppable green rage monster when he gets angry? Why do you draw the line at "country with a lot more tech than usual"?

Fox will never "give up," but they might approach Marvel to sell them the rights back if it bombs. No way is Marvel getting those rights back for free, though.

duckroll

Fox will never "give up," but they might approach Marvel to sell them the rights back if it bombs. No way is Marvel getting those rights back for free, though.

I dunno, "free" is relative. Fox has to continue to invest in the franchise for the contract to extend. If it reaches a point where they feel the franchise is no longer worth any money to them, they'll let it lapse. Isn't hardly about whether Marvel gets it back "for free" or not, because that in itself means nothing to Fox. If Fox feels that they can continue to invest 100-150 million on a Fantastic Four film and make the money back, they will continue to do so. If they feel otherwise, they will let it lapse.

At this point Marvel doesn't need Fantastic Four, so there's no reason they would need to go out of their way to pay Fox, especially if Fox is losing money on it. It'll all come down to whether the business makes sense. Fox will never let X-Men go because it's actually making them a lot of money. Same with Sony and Spider-man. If Fantastic Four no longer makes money for Fox, they'll move on. I doubt it'll bomb enough for that to happen though.

I'm pretty convinced Marvel is the only company that could get Fantastic Four right on film. Trying to make it grounded in reality just seems like a really dumb way to approach that property.

histopher

I dont mind Spidey being separate, and im glad X-men isnt in the MCU (except Jackman) but god damn would the FF rock.
And yeah I think only Marvel Studios could do them justice. I know I can't judge this new film but it sounds horrible, and the previous movies were pretty poor as well. It's gonna bomb - and ill do my bit by not watching it.

TDLink

FFFFFUUUUUUU--

Does the thing only have to be in production for Fox to hold the rights? :(

It has to be in production and result in a completed film that is actually released. They can't just say it's in production, wait until after the deadline, and then not finish and release a movie.

TDLink

Once the cameras start rolling, it's over. :(

Not entirely true. They also have to release it. If production is incomplete by the deadline and then halted after the deadline it would also have to be resumed in a reasonable amount of time.

i liked miles teller quite a bit in spectacular now but i just don't see him as one of the smartest men in the world. wonder how they're gonna interpret reed richards here.

toby kebell and michael b jordan will be fine though. jamie bell as the thing....uhhh wut.

I get that people wanted to believe Fox would let the rights revert back even after they already dated the sequel for 2017, but I hope most of you were smarter than that.

Just have to hope it totally bombs now. The movie sounds like it will be terrible, so hopefully people will stay away and Fox will give up the rights.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It has to be in production and result in a completed film that is actually released. They can't just say it's in production, wait until after the deadline, and then not finish and release a movie.
Let's just hope that something happens that stalls the production long enough for the rights to revert then.

Dai101

Banned

Not entirely true. They also have to release it. If production is incomplete by the deadline and then halted after the deadline it would also have to be resumed in a reasonable amount of time.

Just have to hope it totally bombs now. The movie sounds like it will be terrible, so hopefully people will stay away and Fox will give up the rights.

Let's just hope that something happens that stalls the production long enough for the rights to revert then.

nxAJV14.jpg

Makes me wonder if there is a non compete clause for those in current Sony/Fox Marvel films to prevent them from going to Disney/Marvel films. Hugh being Dr. Strange would be the biggest F U to Fox.

Yeah he's definitely the biggest star of the Marvel movies outside of the MCU. Wonder if he ever gets the urge to come in to the fold, so to speak.

Korten

Banned
So I don't know if this would be thread worthy discussion, so I decided to ask it here...

What's everyone's opinions on the casting direction of the Marvel movies? Do you feel anyone has been horribly casted or do you think all of the people casted for roles have been good thus far...

Dai101

Banned
So I don't know if this would be thread worthy discussion, so I decided to ask it here...

What's everyone's opinions on the casting direction of the Marvel movies? Do you feel anyone has been horribly casted or do you think all of the people casted for roles have been good thus far...

From great to BASED MAHVEL. At least in my case.

With a few exceptions great casting all around. The films aren't always all they could be but you have never been able to blame the cast for that.

histopher

So I don't know if this would be thaad worthy discussion, so I decided to ask it here...

Happy with the big 3 (cap thor iron man). I felt Terrence Howard was a way more believable Rhodey but understand why he was cut.
Hate Natalie Portman as Jane. I think Scarlett has grown into Black Widow but I would have preferred emily blunt and scarlet as ms marvel. Chris o Dowd was wasted in Thor 2 imo as well.
Overall pretty damn awesome.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I feel the casting has been pretty remarkable especially by typical hollywood standards. To me it seems as if the casting is being looked at holistically - how best to bring the character to life, integrated with how their costume is translated, the tone of their "home base" film, and so forth.

It says a lot that I like Evans and Hemsworth as Cap and Thor better than I've ever seen the characters drawn in comics. To me they now *are* those characters. RDJ and Hiddleston have practically created their own unique versions of Tony Stark and Loki.

Of all the major character castings, the one I was most unsure about was Hemsworth. I thought Hiddleston and Hopkins would act circles around him. It was a big surprise forme when he owned that role.

Portman for me is the biggest miss, but I think that has more to do with how superfluous her character feels in the movies.

The only issue I have with the main casting is that they aged down Cap and Thor so much for the movies compared to how they are recognized in the comics today.

That's a minor nitpick and not a problem I have with the actors they've casted themselves. I think Evans is a perfect "young" Cap and Hemsworth really looks the part as Thor, but hasn't really been given the best material to work with in his movies. Hiddleston's Loki outshines him.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.latino-review.com/news/how-avi-arad-got-iron-man-back-from-new-line

This is from Latino Review, so take with a grain of salt, but this makes Avi Arad look more like an asshat.

“The article about the Arad/Feige wars seems interesting, it’s obviously sour grapes from a “producer” who has been marginalized by his former partner Perlmutter.

Arad talks about his “track record.” But what did that entail? All the deals at Fox were done by Bill Mechanic who had the foresight to see that Marvel had more value that previous owner Perelman thought. Iron Man was actually part of the Fox deal and it was simple idiocy by Tom Rothman that allowed New Line to come in and scoop it up. So what track record does he refer to? He deserves no credit for X-Men or Fantastic Four. I am sure he is not clamoring for credit for Daredevil or Elektra. So what track record? Spiderman he claims as his baby, but really that was ALL Sony. They had the rights through some crazyass deals that were done decades ago. He leveraged his way into the deal and pushed for David Fincher to direct the movie, not Sam Raimi. So I guess he had that track record.

But I was moved to write by this sentence of Arad’s - “I knew that we needed it (IRON MAN) so I set out to get it back from Newline and the rest is history.”

Let’s be clear here. Arad was happy to renew Iron Man with New Line for a total of FOUR years. He was happy with a script by Tim McLanies in which Iron Man was dressed by his toaster. He sat in meetings with Bob Shea who insisted that Iron Man not fly and he was okay with that. His vision for Iron Man was to try to pretty much do anything Shea and Emmerich wanted to do.

So how did he get it back from them when the new opportunity arose? Simple. He lied. He lied to New Line and Emmerich for months telling them that they were in negotiations for an extension, leading them to believe the project was going forward, then on the day the option was up he pulled it.

Arad so baldy and boldy lied to everyone back in those days, it’s astonishing he wants the unearned credit now. Track record? Outside of Marvel that consists of the Bratz movie. Feige was and remains the waterboy, that was clear then and now, but to talk about “forgiving” Kevin is just hilarious.

Facts are facts. Arad is full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

J10

Banned
He talks about these characters like he created them, which is hilarious. Dude is an executive. He doesn't give a shit about the characters or the stories. He wants Spider-Man at the center of a hypothetical crossover because Spider-Man is the only thing he has his hands on that makes any real money.

neoanarch

All we know is that the contract with New York runs for a few years and that Daredevil starts shooting in July. I doubt we get all the series at the same time. Maybe one every 6 months starting sometime in 2015.

TDLink

Has there been any news on when the Netflix shows will start airing? Are all of them going to be filmed and released at the same time?

They start airing in 2015. Since Daredevil starts shooting in July I honestly expect it to be a very early 2015 show. Like, maybe even January. Jessica Jones will be later in the year. It is uncertain if Iron Fist and Luke Cage will also be 2015 or if one or both will be 2016.

sharbhund

They start airing in 2015. Since Daredevil starts shooting in July I honestly expect it to be a very early 2015 show. Like, maybe even January. Jessica Jones will be later in the year. It is uncertain if Iron Fist and Luke Cage will also be 2015 or if one or both will be 2016.

Have they announced the showrunners for Iron Fist or Luke Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom