• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Actually, Drew McWeeny and Devin Faraci were the main people reporting this particular rumor, and they're a lot more credible than Latino Review. Well, usually.

We can never say for sure with these things, even though some of the rumors we hear are completely ridiculous. (like the current one for Star Wars)

Quick

Banned
I'm curious about how long they could keep Iron Man away from a standalone MCU movie.

RDJ seems like he's only going to be around for The Avengers movies, while Chris Evans at least has a replacement in Sebastian Stan if Marvel decides to keep the Cap movies in a two- to three-year cycle with Bucky as Cap post-Cap 3.

That being said, I wonder if Feige's plans up to 2028 include potential reboots. I'm curious about how they'd handle a reboot of their big three. Hemsworth seems set on sticking around long-term, but he'd eventually want to get out or just be too old to play Thor.

Quick

Banned
I just finished reading Age of Ultron. Can't say I really liked it, but it wasn't the worst thing ever.

I'm glad the movie is just borrowing the title.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Devin Faraci of Badass Digest seems to think that James Gunn, not Joss Whedon, is going to direct Avengers 3.

I am pretty sure that Joss Whedon won't direct The Avengers 3. I've heard rumblings from behind-the-scenes that he's pretty much finished with the Marvel stuff, plus doing two enormous movies like that in a limited time span is exhausting. On top of that, no director has ever worked with Marvel more than twice, and the only person who has done that was Jon Favreau, the first guy on board.

So if he leaves after The Avengers: Age of Ultron, who steps into Joss' seat for the third film? After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy and how effortlessly it combined humor and emotion and excellent large-scale action, all while balancing many characters, I thought James Gunn would make a good replacement. And Gunn is very happy working with Marvel - the relationship seems to be extraordinarily positive. When I talked to Gunn this weekend at the Guardians junket I asked him if he would be coming back for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (the movie ends with a card that says "The Guardians of the Galaxy Will Return"), and he said he wants to. He said his contract has him signed up for a second film. Then he thought about it and corrected himself and said:

Actually my contract just says another Marvel film, it doesn't specify.

And so I took a leap and asked him, "How far along are you in negotiations with Kevin Feige to direct Avengers 3?" I have seen James Gunn in social settings and in press settings, and at this moment I saw James Gunn in one way I had never before seen him: speechless. He kind of sat there gobsmacked for a second. And then he said, "It was great seeing you!" as our interview time was up.

Dai101

Banned

xR3jBb7.jpg

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Makes sense. He's the only one who has done an ensemble movie for Marvel. The only other director(s) I would think Marvel would want for it are the Russo brothers based on WS's success.

If Whedon doesn't sign on for Avengers 3, that's fine. It'd be nice if helped out pre-production.

Makes sense. He's the only one who has done an ensemble movie for Marvel. The only other director(s) I would think Marvel would want for it are the Russo brothers based on WS's success.

If Whedon doesn't sign on for Avengers 3, that's fine. It'd be nice if helped out pre-production.

I think Whedon may continue on in a producer role, Marvel clearly values his ability to step in and do rewrites where needed or just be there to pull everything together cohesively. But this Marvel stuff has taken a lot of his time and after Phase 2 he probably wants to get moving onto other things.

I honestly never expected him to stay on as long as Avengers 3 in the director's chair so it would be cool if he and Gunn are already collaborating on how they want to work out the build up to Thanos' arrival on Earth or something. Would be neat if Marvel can keep up a standard of a new director handling 2 Avengers movies and then passing the torch. With Gunn's Cosmic Marvel experience maybe Avengers 4 could involve The Builders or something.

J10

Banned
Where the fuck is Gunn's poker face? He could just say, "Nah, that's not happening." No one would care if he was later found to be lying. Or maybe he just lets it be known to garner some positive public response to gain leverage in a negotiation.

jmood88

Where the fuck is Gunn's poker face? He could just say, "Nah, that's not happening." No one would care if he was later found to be lying. Or maybe he just lets it be known to garner some positive public response to gain leverage in a negotiation.

Or he was just genuinely surprised that someone would ask that. Most people didn't seem to have thought about the possibility of him directing Avengers 3 until today.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Or he was just genuinely surprised that someone would ask that. Most people didn't seem to have thought about the possibility of him directing Avengers 3 until today.
I could see that being the case.

And I'd be completely fine with him directing it.
Unless GotG ends up being shit, which I highly doubt.

TDLink

At the very least from what I have seen and heard so far it seems Gunn really nails the Guardians' characters. So whatever future Marvel work he does, I hope he is at least involved in writing anything in the future with the GotG. Be that their own films or showing up as supporting cast in others' films.

He also seems to have a pretty good vision already for a GotG 2 so I have to imagine he is going to direct that one, at the very least.

TDLink

Doesnt Whedon have a three movie contract?

Edit: I fogot that James Gunn directs Guardians. Fake confirmed, its just to spread hype and everything.

Whedon has a contract to direct Avengers 2 and oversee the Marvel Cinematic Universe/help the directors and writers of the other films within it, until June 2015 (one month after Avengers 2 releases). That means all films in pre-production by June next year will have had his hand in them in some way (starting with Thor: The Dark World as Iron Man 3 was practically completed when he signed on).

Whedon does not have a contract to direct any films other than Avengers 2, now known as Avengers: Age of Ultron. A new contract will likely be negotiated before this one expires if Marvel and Joss want to continue to work together past next summer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some interesting snippets in recent interviews.

Ruffalo seems to imply the public has negative feelings towards the Avengers in AoU, an existential crisis of sorts. More about Hulk in the article proper.
Mark Ruffalo said:
"This movie is much more sprawling and epic than the first one. They’re really in an existential, dire crisis. It has a darker quality. The Avengers are really struggling with their own shortcomings and the dissolution of S.H.I.E.L.D. and where they go and who they are in the world. There’s a lot of negativity towards them."

Quote just to get people hype:

Kevin Feige said:
"Well, look, listen, as you know, that’s happened before in the comics. It’s getting a lot of attention because they’ve just done it, but both of those things have happened in the past. So, it’s always that’s part of the fun. There’s always that chance to surprise people or to switch up — a number of people have worn the Cap’ costume. A number of people have lifted Mjölnir. So, that’s all fodder for future storytelling."

DieH@rd

Banned
Just long enough to see how big Avengers 2 goes and he can renegotiate for a shitload more money.

Yeah, he will most probably re-sign to be A3 writer/director. But if the A3 is pushed so far away, maybe he will make a break from MCU to work on other stuff before returning to A3.

Tom_Cody

Just long enough to see how big Avengers 2 goes and he can renegotiate for a shitload more money.
It will be interesting to see what happens. Once he gets through his contract he will have made tens of millions of dollars and he will be in a position where he will be able to do anything he could ever want to do professionally.

I could see him continuing on with Marvel, though I also wouldn't be surprised if he decides to do something outside the box like direct a dramatic film (with a budget in the range of $30M-$60M) or even something like developing a Broadway show.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
If Whedon wanted to step away post-AoU but return for A3, maybe they could get Gunn to fill his showrunner-esque shoes.

Quick

Banned

At the end of The Avengers, public opinion was swayed heavily in their favour, but they also hinted that it isn't a consensus that they're looked at positively.

I may be remembering wrong, but when various people were interviewed at the end of the movie, I think the news had one of those "good or bad?"-type headline.

Huh. I didn't know James Gunn got to make any decisions (or even be privy to information) about where the future Marvel films go. I thought that was Kevin Feige's job.

I would assume that in order to drop little hints about and/or set upcoming characters and movies, he would need to know at least the road map through the next phase. You have to remember that #itsallconnected

I would assume that in order to drop little hints about and/or set upcoming characters and movies, he would need to know at least the road map through the next phase. You have to remember that #itsallconnected

That's the Agents of SHIELD S1 hashtag...

Also, some of those "hints" are less connected than you might think - the writers of TWS said that the Dr. Strange reference was included in the script entirely of their own volition, not out of any Feige-driven intent to tease it as an upcoming film.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At the end of The Avengers, public opinion was swayed heavily in their favour, but they also hinted that it isn't a consensus that they're looked at positively.

I may be remembering wrong, but when various people were interviewed at the end of the movie, I think the news had one of those "good or bad?"-type headline.
Interesting, I need to go rewatch.

Bailing out of this thread until I see GotG though.

Huh. I didn't know James Gunn got to make any decisions (or even be privy to information) about where the future Marvel films go. I thought that was Kevin Feige's job.

He and Feige have probably already set a direction for GOTG2 and he probably knows that Hulk is most definitely not a part of it.

J10

Banned
I think pretty much all the directors/writers have some say on which seeds to plant in their respective movies. Not all the say obviously, but they're all in on the planning processes somewhat.

That's the Agents of SHIELD S1 hashtag...

Also, some of those "hints" are less connected than you might think - the writers of TWS said that the Dr. Strange reference was included in the script entirely of their own volition, not out of any Feige-driven intent to tease it as an upcoming film.

And I wouldn't be surprised that they wanted to name drop because they knew Dr. Strange was in the works and it was a perfect little way to tease that hint.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...tm_referrer=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/

A really fascinating article on the behind the scenes of Marvel Studios.

As the highly detail-oriented man in charge of Marvel's creative strategy, Feige works closely with a team that includes Louis D'Esposito, who runs physical production, and Victoria Alonso, who handles effects and postproduction. The line between creative and production blurs on Marvel films. "Louis understands how films physically get made but with a more creative bent," explains one source. "He has sort of created a situation where he hires people almost apart from the director — a conceptual artist, this and that — because they're part of the Marvel brand." (Production designer Charles Wood, for example, moved from the Thor sequel to Guardians.)

While on most movies the power resides with the director and top stars, at Marvel those players have little influence. "They view the director as executing their vision," says an exec involved with the company. Another says Feige monitors filming so closely that rather than wait for dailies, he's often on set and "sees the takes as the directors see the takes."

Another distinctive Marvel trait is the assumption that a film can be shaped in postproduction, which is Alonso's domain. "If you're a director and 75 percent of the script is good, you have to rely on them to finish and complete the movie," says this observer. An exec with experience on Marvel movies concurs: "The approach is more like animation than live action — 'We can tweak it.' "

Underlying Marvel's success, says one talent rep, is that "they know what their brand is, and they stick to it. … The minute you deviate, like Patty Jenkins [fired in 2011 as director of the Thor sequel], they get rid of you." But this source notes admiringly: "They manage to not just change the outfits of their superheroes. They've actually created a Captain America brand versus a Thor brand versus an Iron Man brand."

That may explain why Edgar Wright left Ant-Man. He just was not willing to cede the creative control to Feige and his team.

One thing's for sure: Isaac Perlmutter is one cheap motherfucker.

Showaddy

That may explain why Edgar Wright left Ant-Man. He just was not willing to cede the creative control to Feige and his team.

One thing's for sure: Isaac Perlmutter is one cheap motherfucker.

It's a shame it couldn't work out with Wright seeing as they let Shane Black & James Gunn do whatever the hell they wanted.

Perlmutter really is the cheapest bastard in Hollywood though.

inky

It's a shame it couldn't work out with Wright seeing as they let Shane Black & James Gunn do whatever the hell they wanted.

Perlmutter really is the cheapest bastard in Hollywood though.

I'm pretty sure the final IM3 fight in the docks wasn't something Shane Black wanted, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom