• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielcw

If true that means we've got a bumper phase 3 in store. 9 movies!

and more characters for Thanos to kill

9 movies?
So 2 for 2015, and 2 for 2016?

Which of those 9 do we know about? Are Captain America 3 and Ant-Man the only confirmed ones?

shield

9 movies?
So 2 for 2015, and 2 for 2016?

Which of those 9 do we know about? Are Captain America 3 and Ant-Man the only confirmed ones?

1 in 2015, 2 in 2016, 3 in 2017, 2 in 2018, 1 in 2019

July 17, 2015 - Ant-Man
May 6th, 2016 - Captain America 3
July 8th 2016 - Doctor Strange
May 5th, 2017
July 28th, 2017
November 3rd, 2017
July 6th, 2018
November 2nd, 2018
May 3rd, 2019 (Probably Avengers 3)

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I bet one is Black Panther, and I wonder if another will be Marvel finally giving ScarJo her Black Widow spinoff.

I'm still not convinced that Marvel will announce anything beyond 2016 in Hall H this year; they just don't need to do that this far out. Would love to be wrong, though, but for now I'm only expecting:

-AoU teaser trailer, a few additional plot tidbits beyond what's in the EW cover story
-Ant-Man full cast reveal (right now, Pym and Lang are the only confirmed characters)
-Cap 3 title
-Dr. Strange officially announced as July 2016 release, concept art, possible casting announcement

I'm still not convinced that Marvel will announce anything beyond 2016 in Hall H this year; they just don't need to do that this far out. Would love to be wrong, though, but for now I'm only expecting:

-AoU teaser trailer, a few additional plot tidbits beyond what's in the EW cover story
-Ant-Man full cast reveal (right now, Pym and Lang are the only confirmed characters)
-Cap 3 title
-Dr. Strange officially announced as July 2016 release, concept art, possible casting announcement

That sounds about right. I'd like to see a megaton announcement to defuse the Ant Man stuff as well as throw a shot at WB/DC. Especially if they really don't have much to show for Batman/Superman, Marvel can really stick it to them

danielcw

I just read that Guardians Of The Galaxy features another (infamous*) Character, who previously had its own (infamous*) film.
(*I don't know anything about him, except what is said about the movie)

According to http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cameos-71908/
the credits of GotG mention creators
Steve Gerber and Val Mayerik
and their character
Howard, The Duck

EDIT: the article also has the name of Stan Lee's cameo character and details on some other cameos, including a well-known "Browncoat"

-Cap 3 title

I concur.

Either way, fuck waiting in that line.

overcast

I've checked before, but I will again seeing as I just finished Thanos 1-12.

Is this the "proper" way to get to know the universe before Guardians?
3267361-cosmismarvel.jpg

Showaddy

So given its a film series, Thanos is definitely killing off a chunk of the cast in Avengers 3, surely?

Yeah I mean everyone dies in Infinity Gauntlet but gets brought back to life later but I can see them using the story to recast some of the major characters like Stark, Cap & maybe even Thor. So could be that Thanos kills less people this time but they actually stay dead. The backup characters are screwed though, 100% pure fodder.

Ithil

I know people talk about a recasting for Iron Man for a potential Iron Man 4 but I don't think there will be one, honestly. Those films are sold on RDJ and if you don't have him there's not much of a point.

Besides, the main reason (that Iron Man was the biggest draw) isn't needed anymore since the post-Avengers MCU movies have all been blockbusters themselves.

It seems like a trilogy for the solo films is plenty.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I know people talk about a recasting for Iron Man for a potential Iron Man 4 but I don't think there will be one, honestly. Those films are sold on RDJ and if you don't have him there's not much of a point.
Yeah, I don't buy that. I do think it'll be a while til we get an Iron Man 4, but I think the franchise quickly surpassed its reliance on RDJ. He was great, but I'm sure they can find someone just as magnetic.

Showaddy

Be interesting to see how insistent Disney are on getting more films out of RDJ, he publicly said he's done with the solo films but IM3's take was so ridiculous I wonder if they'll offer him Jonny Depp Pirates money just to keep him doing them.

Feige has said he sees it as more of a James Bond situation though so it'll be interesting to see how they take it.

Be interesting to see how insistent Disney are on getting more films out of RDJ, he publicly said he's done with the solo films but IM3's take was so ridiculous I wonder if they'll offer him Jonny Depp Pirates money just to keep him doing them.

Feige has said he sees it as more of a James Bond situation though so it'll be interesting to see how they take it.

I think they will eventually recast, but not until after Avengers 3.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm suspicious that MCU Tony Stark will be the first major character killed off, or close to it. The shock value is too great. I think that'd be how RDJ leaves Marvel films.

It would prepare the ground for recasting when a new version of Iron Man is brought back later.

I'm suspicious that MCU Tony Stark will be the first major character killed off, or close to it. The shock value is too great. I think that'd be how RDJ leaves Marvel films.

It would prepare the ground for recasting when a new version of Iron Man is brought back later.

I still think he will die saving Cap's life in Avengers 3. And that is when Cap picks up Mjolnir to fight back against Thanos.

I am trying to will it into existence.

Gartooth

I don't see Iron Man 4 happening in Phase 3 given how much Disney is already paying RDJ to stay on for Avengers 2 and 3.

Way I see it, there will be a soft "reboot" post Phase 3 of the MCU where we will see some changes in actors and that Iron Man 4 would launch with a new Tony Stark.

BLACKLAC

I don't see Iron Man 4 happening in Phase 3 given how much Disney is already paying RDJ to stay on for Avengers 2 and 3.

Way I see it, there will be a soft "reboot" post Phase 3 of the MCU where we will see some changes in actors and that Iron Man 4 would launch with a new Tony Stark.

I subscribe to this as well.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I wonder if they'd be ballsy enough to try to give us a War Machine movie for Phase 3 to fill the Iron Man vacancy.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Dead on arrival.
I wasn't saying I wanted one. Haha. Trust. I just firmly believe that Marvel knows the Iron Man property is bigger than RDJ, despite what some folks here believe, so I wonder if they'd keep it alive by giving War Machine a movie.

My (not so out there) guesses to potentially fill the remaining four open slots:

- The Hulk
- Black Widow
- Black Panther
- Inhumans
- Captain Marvel
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (I could see this being the November movie to lead in to The Avengers 3)

May 1, 2015 - The Avengers: Age of Ultron
July 17, 2015 - Ant-Man
May 6, 2016 - Captain America 3
July 8, 2016 - Doctor Strange
May 5, 2017 - Thor 3
July 28, 2017 -
November 3, 2017 -
July 6, 2018 -
November 2, 2018 -
May 3, 2019 - The Avengers: Infinity Gauntlet

I could sort of see them holding off on Black Panther for a while and maybe going the Netflix route with him.

TDLink

1 in 2015, 2 in 2016, 3 in 2017, 2 in 2018, 1 in 2019

July 17, 2015 - Ant-Man
May 6th, 2016 - Captain America 3
July 8th 2016 - Doctor Strange
May 5th, 2017
July 28th, 2017
November 3rd, 2017
July 6th, 2018
November 2nd, 2018
May 3rd, 2019 (Probably Avengers 3)

There are 4 likely choices for the 5 uncertain options based on what we know:

Thor 3 (which is already confirmed to be happening some time)
Black Panther
Nova
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Which leaves 1 to be completely out of left field...

It could possibly be a Hulk movie, Ms Marvel, Inhumans, who knows. I'm fairly confident we will see the other 4 I mentioned though.

There are 4 likely choices for the 5 uncertain options based on what we know:

Thor 3 (which is already confirmed to be happening some time)
Black Panther
Nova
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Which leaves 1 to be completely out of left field...

It could possibly be a Hulk movie, Ms Marvel, Inhumans, who knows. I'm fairly confident we will see the other 4 I mentioned though.

I'm not convinced yet that Nova is more likely than Captain Marvel or Inhumans.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I think Captain Marvel (I'll be shocked if Ms. is in the title) is more likely than Nova, honestly. And now that I think more about it, I would almost put some money on Inhumans being in Phase 3. I bet they'll want to get that franchise started finally since they won't be getting X-Men back anytime soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mentioned it in the OT thread, but I'll reiterate it here. Marvel Puzzle Quest added Ms. Marvel to the game this week. Obviously it's a stretch to say a game would leak that sort of thing, but they did do a Winter Soldier tie-in, and people have been asking for Ms. Marvel forever. I don't think a hint is out of the question.

And she was called "Captain Marvel."

anaron

I mentioned it in the OT thread, but I'll reiterate it here. Marvel Puzzle Quest added Ms. Marvel to the game this week. Obviously it's a stretch to say a game would leak that sort of thing, but they did do a Winter Soldier tie-in, and people have been asking for Ms. Marvel forever. I don't think a hint is out of the question.

And she was called "Captain Marvel."

Oh I totally hope think they're going to confirm something is in the works. And if she truly is in AoU, who's playing her.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
James Gunn Says 'Planet Hulk'/'Guardians of the Galaxy' Rumors Are "A Bunch Of Complete B*llshit"

When we asked him about the rumors of the Hulk joining up with the Guardians of the Galaxy (which include Chris Pratt's Star Lord, Zoe Saldana's Gamora, and a talking, trigger-happy raccoon named Rocket voiced by Bradley Cooper), he gave us the unvarnished truth: "I can answer that question very easily: it is absolute, 100% bullshit," he said, adding: "It feels like a great relief to finally say this after all the dumb stuff on the Internet."

"There's not going to be a 'Planet Hulk' movie, there was never going to be a 'Planet Hulk' movie, there was never plan for the Hulk to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy – I wouldn't want the Hulk to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy! And it's all a bunch of complete bullshit," Gunn continued.

When we joked that his "complete bullshit" comment would be the title of our news piece, Gunn didn't back down. "That is fine. I love it. I'm so sick of it," Gunn said. He then went on to address one of the reasons the rumors could have persisted (minor spoilers ahead for "Guardians of the Galaxy"). "The whole thing, like there's Sakaraan in the movie. And the reason there's Sakaraan in the movie is because there aren't that many alien races in the Marvel Universe and of those prominent alien races, such as the Kree and the Skrull," Gunn said. Before adding, somewhat tantalizingly, "I have some very specific ideas for where those races go."

He then went on to explain the nuts-and-bolts reason for the Sakaraan being in the movie. "The reason we picked the Sakaraan is because we don't own Badoon. In the script it originally said Badoon," Gunn said. "So you can blame search and replace for changing Badoon to Sakaaran and leading to the whole 'Planet Hulk' conspiracy

That's reassuring to hear.

Gartooth

Hype is back on for potential GotG 2, thank you James Gunn!

I'm getting sick of all the bullshit rumors floating around about Planet Hulk / Hulk in Guardians / World War Hulk, etc. At this point I'm going to assume that any site like Latino Review teasing Hulk anything for the MCU is just making crap up.

I think Captain Marvel (I'll be shocked if Ms. is in the title) is more likely than Nova, honestly. And now that I think more about it, I would almost put some money on Inhumans being in Phase 3. I bet they'll want to get that franchise started finally since they won't be getting X-Men back anytime soon.
Inhumans are coming. It's about as definitive as Avengers 3 for Phase 3.

Hype is back on for potential GotG 2, thank you James Gunn!

I'm getting sick of all the bullshit rumors floating around about Planet Hulk / Hulk in Guardians / World War Hulk, etc. At this point I'm going to assume that any site like Latino Review teasing Hulk anything for the MCU is just making crap up.

Actually, Drew McWeeny and Devin Faraci were the main people reporting this particular rumor, and they're a lot more credible than Latino Review. Well, usually.

Blader

-Cap 3 title

Same. I don't think they've ever really announced movies more than 2 years out anyway (not recently at least). Plus, what if Ant-Man or Strange are huge hits? They're not going to want to wait until 2019 before giving either one a sequel just because they allocated earlier dates, years in advance, to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom