• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should roll with these guys instead.

spec-ops-13-tasks.jpg

Dunno about The Other, but it would be kinda odd not to see the Chitauri at all in GotG, given that they're a pretty obvious way to connect further to Avengers.

I fully expect mentions/cameos but not an actual story role for them, yeah. There's no reason not to include them on a minor level and plenty of incentive to do so for the sake of tightening the universe.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

richiek

Kevin Feige Explains Why Peyton Reed is the Right Director For Ant-Man

Kevin Feige has been talking about the forthcoming Ant-Man movie, with the Marvel Studios boss claiming that the film "is is as good a shape as it's ever been."

It’s been all-change behind-the-scenes of late, with director Edgar Wright departing the project, Peyton Reed being brought in as his replacement, and multiple screenwriters reportedly working on the script.

But Feige is confident that the right people are now in place to make the movie work. The Marvel man was in London screening footage from Guardians of the Galaxy this morning, and we asked him about the Ant issues, and more specifically why Reed - at one time a contender for the Guardians job - is the right director to take the project forward. This is what he had to say on the subject…

“Number one – thank you for asking the question in that way, which is doing what we’re doing which is thinking about the movie and the end result of the movie. Peyton is someone that I’ve been a fan of for a long time. People may not remember, though probably your readers remember, that he was attached to Fantastic Four more than 10 years ago. We spent a lot of time together… and I got along with Peyton very, very well and he had awesome ideas and an awesome vision for the movie, and for various reasons he ended up leaving that movie...

“He’s come in to meet on a lot of our movies over the years, in particular Guardians. He had a lot of awesome things to say on Guardians. But James [Gunn] had a slightly more solid take that was of interest to us. But Peyton was always on our lists, and so when this happened and Edgar [Wright] said ‘Not for me’ we met with a handful of people, but Peyton was always one that I thought would be great.

“It was not a slam-dunk that he would just step into it and do it. He wanted to be sure that he was wasn’t just inheriting something or following someone else’s lead. Or wasn’t inheriting something that the evil studio had watered down to be something bad. I kept saying, ‘You can either read what’s online, or come in and talk to us and look at all this stuff.’ He looked at everything, he talked with us, and he said ‘Number one, I agree with the direction you’re going in. And number two, I can add to it.’ And he has – the movie is in as good a shape as it’s ever been right now.

"It’s still very much in the spirit of what Edgar’s original pitch was and the entire template of the movie is what Edgar set out and originally came and pitched us maybe eight years ago now. But it's on its way to being the absolute best version of what that movie could have been.

“Peyton is really, really wonderful, and will be proving that soon enough. As I said to the Comic-Con audience a few years ago, ‘You might not have heard of [Captain America: The Winter Soldier directors] Joe and Antony Russo, but you’re going to be big fans of them soon.’ And I’d say the same thing about Peyton Reed now.”

I am slowly regaining faith in this project.

Based on those quotes? I'm not sure why.

I don't see this movie being anything close to the trainwreck some are anticipating (or hoping for), but that's pretty much exactly what Feige has to say in this situation for PR's sake, whether he believes it or not; would you expect him to say that the rumors are true and that the Wright/Cornish script was watered down to address executives' concerns about the film not being commercial enough? Or that Reed's version will be inferior to what Wright would have made?

Tom_Cody

I don't see this movie being anything close to the trainwreck some are anticipating (or hoping for), but that's pretty much exactly what Feige has to say in this situation for PR's sake, whether he believes it or not; would you expect him to say that the rumors are true and that the Wright/Cornish script was watered down to address executives' concerns about the film not being commercial enough? Or that Reed's version will be inferior to what Wright would have made?
First off, regarding the article, it is nice to know that Peyton Reed has an actual history with Marvel. He is no-one's favorite director, so this at least earns him more points than zero for me. It's just nice to know that he wasn't a completely random pick.

Beyond that, I'll just repeat what I've said many times on GAF: ultimately I am a much bigger fan of Feige/Marvel's movies than I am of Wright's films. I certainly would have preferred that Wright stay on the project but, in the absence of that, I still have a certain amount of faith that Marvel can right the ship.

To respond to something specific in your post, it is still not 100% clear to me why Wright left and I don't think it is as simple as executives "watering down" his film. I think it's more likely that he and Cornish left because they felt that they were losing creative control over the project. My point is, if "studio interference" means Kevin Feige giving notes then I don't think that's necessarily the worst thing in the world. I don't think 'notes from Marvel studios' necessarily = 'worse film'.

First off, regarding the article, it is nice to know that Peyton Reed has an actual history with Marvel. He is no-one's favorite director, so this at least earns him more points than zero for me. It's just nice to know that he wasn't a completely random pick.

Beyond that, I'll just repeat what I've said many times on GAF: ultimately I am a much bigger fan of Feige/Marvel's movies than I am of Wright's films. I certainly would have preferred that Wright stay on the project but, in the absence of that, I still have a certain amount of faith that Marvel can right the ship.

To respond to something specific in your post, it is still not 100% clear to me why Wright left and I don't think it is as simple as executives "watering down" his film. I think it's more likely that he and Cornish left because they felt that they were losing creative control over the project. My point is, if "studio interference" means Kevin Feige giving notes then I don't think that's necessarily the worst thing in the world. I don't think 'notes from Marvel studios' necessarily = 'worse film'.

As far as the overall future of the MCU is concerned, Wright's departure worries me a lot less in itself than does the timing of it; his Ant-Man seemed conspicuously more auteurist than any other Marvel Studios project, and let's face it, the MCU was never going to become an auteurs' playground regardless of how well Ant-Man did at the box office.

The question regarding the bolded is, why would it have taken eight years of working with Feige on the project to reach that conclusion? Why did Wright depart when his version of the film was on the verge of starting production, rather than pulling a Patty Jenkins and exiting much earlier?

There are only two likely possibilities, IMO: either Feige has become prone to second-guessing himself on a massive scale, or (as some of the rumors would have it) he was overruled by Marvel/Disney execs even higher up the food chain. I'm not forecasting doom just yet, but neither bodes well.

Tom_Cody

The question regarding the bolded is, why would it have taken eight years of working with Feige on the project to reach that conclusion? Why did Wright depart when his version of the film was on the verge of starting production, rather than pulling a Patty Jenkins and exiting much earlier?

There are only two likely possibilities, IMO: either Feige has become prone to second-guessing himself on a massive scale, or (as some of the rumors would have it) he was overruled by Marvel/Disney execs even higher up the food chain. I'm not forecasting doom just yet, but neither bodes well.
This is the real question. My personal (unsubstantiated) guess is that his career is in a different place than it was in 2006 and he reached the point this past spring where he simply no longer wanted to work on the project. This is a giant corporate movie with a lot of strings attached. Who knows how much has changed behind the scenes since 2006. Maybe he didn't want to be locked-in to a multi-picture deal? Maybe didn't want -any- notes? Who knows. He was the one who delayed the movie multiple times. This is a movie (Edgar Wright's Ant-Man) that I thought would never get made and that ultimately ended up being the case.

Hm. https://twitter.com/josswhedon/status/489115238269476864

Wonder if they're doing this female stuff in the movies, and that's what she was in talks for?

I think he's just teasing fans about the endless speculation over Sackhoff playing Carol Danvers. If she's actually getting a major Thor role, I can't imagine he'd be so blatant about it.

And for what I admit are very cynical reasons, I'd be surprised to see Marvel giving Sackhoff a lead role. Namely, because I don't think they'd find her conventionally pretty enough.

BLACKLAC

What makes me hopeful was this quote.

“It was not a slam-dunk that he would just step into it and do it. He wanted to be sure that he was wasn’t just inheriting something or following someone else’s lead. Or wasn’t inheriting something that the evil studio had watered down to be something bad. I kept saying, ‘You can either read what’s online, or come in and talk to us and look at all this stuff.’

I was expecting a much more vanilla response but apparently they know there are many people writing the film off on pure speculation and director fandom. I'm interested to see how Marvel deals with very public difficulty. It's easy when everything is going your way but if they are able to pull off a great film despite the troubles I will be very impressed.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/07/16/this-weeks-cover-avengers-age-of-ultron/

The good guys are tired, S.H.I.E.L.D. has been destroyed, and there’s no one else for the planet to turn to when menace looms on the horizon. Everyone wants a break—and that’s exactly how they’re about to be broken. There’s no abdicating heroism.

“What you said about abdication is apt, but I think it’s also about recognizing limitations,” Robert Downey Jr. says. “The downside of self-sacrifice is that if you make it back, you’ve been out there on the spit and you’ve been turned a couple times and you feel a little burned and traumatized.”

For better or worse (trust us, it’s worse), his Tony Stark has devised a plan that won’t require him to put on the Iron Man suit anymore, and should allow Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and the Hulk to get some much needed R&R as well. His solution is Ultron, self-aware, self-teaching, artificial intelligence designed to help assess threats, and direct Stark’s Iron Legion of drones to battle evildoers instead.

The only problem? Ultron (played by James Spader through performance-capture technology) lacks the human touch, and his superior intellect quickly determines that life on Earth would go a lot smoother if he just got rid of Public Enemy No. 1: Human beings. “Ultron sees the big picture and he goes, ‘Okay, we need radical change, which will be violent and appalling, in order to make everything better’; he’s not just going ‘Muhaha, soon I’ll rule!’” Whedon says, rubbing his hands together.

“He’s on a mission,” the filmmaker adds, and smiles thinly. “He wants to save us.”

The hard part about battling Ultron, as the cover image suggests, is that he’s not just a robot—he’s a program, capable of uploading himself and disappearing not into the clouds but the Cloud. And he has a bad habit of rebuilding himself into stronger and more fearsome physical forms.

The cover story runs through a pivotal early scene in the movie that I witnessed on set, and explains where some of the new characters (Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, The Vision) fall on the good-guy/bad-guy spectrum. It also reveals exactly how Marvel Studios is retooling the origin story for Ultron, who first appeared in the comic books in 1968.

inky

I'm wondering if they made IM's armor look so boring because Hulkbuster is up anyway. I'm sure that will steal the show.

I hate that they had to blow their load in IM 3 with the designs for merchandising purposes. They wasted a lot of cool designs on 2 second cameos for armors that deserved a lot more screen time.

Mark III still the best.

I bet Vision is just a green and yellow Iron Man armor with Paul Bettany's face on it. I hope it's as ridiculous looking as it is in the books.

I think people who've seen it have said he looks EXACTLY like he does in the comics, with some changes in tone to make his body/suit look more realistic and not super saturated, bright colours. Still yellow/green/orange but with a metal tint to it.

J10

Banned
Good. But then they're showing too much restraint with Witch and Quicksilver, at least so far. I'm not saying she has to wear the big red crown, but it shouldn't just be regular street clothes either. At least Quicksilver is wearing running clothes though.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Yeah. I do agree with you about Scarlet Witch's costume, at least as far as that promo art that was released goes. Famke Janssen's X-Men 3 costume was almost more appropriate than what they've designed (although that exact costume wouldn't quite work on the younger Olsen).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Good. But then they're showing too much restraint with Witch and Quicksilver, at least so far. I'm not saying she has to wear the big red crown, but it shouldn't just be regular street clothes either. At least Quicksilver is wearing running clothes though.

i haven't been looking at shooting footage but from the early stills i saw months ago it looks like they were wearing stuff they had while they got busted free from hydra. I don't wanna see more so i don't care.

Yeah I'm not worried about Pietro and Wanda's clothes right now, they're essentially "street clothes" and I don't mind that there may not necessarily be a lot of superhero design sensibilities in what they're wearing at the start of the movie. Quicksilver looks like he's wearing something that any runner would wear. Scarlet Witch looks like she's wearing something that a girl of her age would wear if that's her style.

I'll reserve my judgment for their actual "Avengers" costumes.

I dunno I'm just pulling that out of my ass, but am totally assuming that they will "suit up" at some point. It would make sense for what we've seen to take place pretty early in the film.

But I could be completely wrong and Quicksilver will wear that the whole time and I'll be completely underwhelmed.

jph139

I'm hoping Scarlet Witch's costume is permanent... it's easily my favorite look for her, even among comic outfits. Reminds me of her X-Men: Evolution costume only less goofy. Wouldn't mind if they backtracked it into the comics as well.

So, I imagine they aren't going the incest-y route with SW and QS.

Which is probably for the best.

But... The Vision and Scarlet Witch got married in the comics, right? But... he's a robot. How'd that work?

Which is why they went through like four other directors before coming to him?

This is a good point.

richiek

Kevin Feige talks about the Sub Mariner rights:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07...xy-the-avengers-the-sub-mariner?+main+twitter

IGN: Finally, there were rumours circulating awhile back that Universal and Legendary Pictures were developing a Sub-Mariner movie, but there was also some confusion about who holds the rights to the character. So could Legendary make that movie at this point?

Feige: No.

IGN: So if a film were to happen it would be you guys making it?

Feige: Yes, but it’s slightly more complicated than that. Let’s put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Movie Age of Ultron follows the "zeroth law" principle, used in I, Robot where an AI decides it must take over the world to help humanity.

I'm not sure if Ultron has ever been used that way in the comics. If not, then this film's plot is indeed taking a page from I, Robot and the Zeroth Law (which is mentioned in Asimov novels.)

J10

Banned
Ultron viewing humanity as its own worst enemy has always been his thing. Pretty common thread in sci-fi in general. Ultron just does it with a cool and collected kind of psychosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom