• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen Avengers twice but Thor once so maybe I don't remember. Refresh my memory. It's especially the Loki thing that I don't remember. How was he able to appear beside Selvig and control him like that when at that time he was lost in space?
He'd probably run into Thanos and The Other at that point, can't imagine anything else that'd make sense.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Thanos gave Loki the staff with which he could command the alien army. The staff also has mind altering powers, which was what he used on Selvig and Hawkeye.
But how was he able to use it on Selvig before he even arrived on Earth? The after credits scene in Thor takes place prior to the events in Avengers, correct?

duckroll

But how was he able to use it on Selvig before he even arrived on Earth? The after credits scene in Thor takes place prior to the events in Avengers, correct?

The after credits scene in Thor and the after credits scene in Captain America both take place almost immediately before Avengers starts. By the time Avengers begins Loki was already on Earth and it starts with him executing the plan he was planning.

Darkmakaimura

The after credits scene in Thor and the after credits scene in Captain America both take place almost immediately before Avengers starts. By the time Avengers begins Loki was already on Earth and it starts with him executing the plan he was planning.
Well, near the beginning Avengers we see Loki emerging from the portal in the underground base when they use the Tesseract. Prior to that scene in Avengers he was not on Earth. So, I'm assuming the after credits scene in Thor takes place prior to that scene in Avengers. That is, Loki is not on Earth yet and was lost in space/with Thanos.

BLACKLAC

Just re-watched the scene and Loki does posses Selvig with the staff after he comes through the portal and wrecks shit. Maybe Loki used his magic or the staff in a way we haven't seen before for reconnaissance / some mind manipulation to move the right pieces into place for his arrival without Selvig being aware.

Baron Strucker is also using the staff in a manner we have yet to see, after all.

Darkmakaimura

Just re-watched the scene and Loki does posses Selvig with the staff after he comes through the portal and wrecks shit. Maybe Loki used his magic or the staff in a way we haven't seen before for reconnaissance / some mind manipulation to move the right pieces into place for his arrival without Selvig being aware.

Baron Strucker is also using the staff in a manner we have yet to see after all.
Yeah, Loki gets Selvig after he emerges from the portal in Avengers but that takes place after the end credits scene in Thor, so it makes little sense.

So, I had to digging and according to the Marvel Cinematic Wiki, it says this.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Erik_Selvig

Later on, Selvig was ordered to the presence of Nick Fury after Thor returned to Asgard. Fury opened a storage case, presenting the Tesseract. When Selvig asked "what is it?", Fury replied that it represented a significant source of power, if only they could find a way to tap it. Selvig accepted the challenge of investigating the object, since his recent encounter with Thor and his studies into thermonuclear astrophysics. Loki, controlling Selvig from Thanos' planet, stared with intense interest with the Tesseract, since he had been controlling Selvig throughout the whole conversation.
So, according to the Wiki, Loki was somehow able to control Selvig while he was still on Thanos' world. Okay, at least the wiki is understanding the chronological aspects but how is Loki controlling Selvig from Thanos' world in the first place?

Okay, looks like the Wiki came to the rescue.... Found this at the bottom of the page in the Trivia section....

As seen in The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week, Selvig was unknowingly being controlled by Loki since the after-credits scene from Thor, before being fully controlled in the beginning of The Avengers.

jph139

After Thor, Loki is tossed through dimensions and ends up where Thanos finds him. Thanos (or the Other) says "hey, I've got a job for you, grab this thing" - so he projects him into Selvig's mind and shows him the Cube. I'm not sure if he's necessarily controlling his mind or it's just a bit of dramatic irony.

Anyways it's supposed to take place after he vanishes and before he's leading the Chitauri. It's part of the "Loki agrees to work for Thanos" piece that isn't ever explicitly shown.

Darkmakaimura

After Thor, Loki is tossed through dimensions and ends up where Thanos finds him. Thanos (or the Other) says "hey, I've got a job for you, grab this thing" - so he projects him into Selvig's mind and shows him the Cube. I'm not sure if he's necessarily controlling his mind or it's just a bit of dramatic irony.

Anyways it's supposed to take place after he vanishes and before he's leading the Chitauri. It's part of the "Loki agrees to work for Thanos" piece that isn't ever explicitly shown.
Edited my post above. It's apparently explained in an Avengers prequel comic. At least I know I'm not crazy or stupid questioning that scene.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Earlier in Thor 1, Loki made himself appear while Thor was under arrest. It was noted Loki has "secret passages" between worlds to some degree. The scene with Thor suggests he was capable of mentally projecting himself to Earth even if he couldn't arrive physically without assistance.

I suspect the writers intent for the after credit scene was that Loki was once again mentally projecting, only this time, instead of an apparition, he was influencing a mind from the inside - Selvig. The fact that in Avengers, Selvig just so happened to be working on a portal system with Loki waiting eagerly on the other end suggests Loki was capable of subconsciously influencing at least a single mind at a time from a distance.

It could either be one of Loki's own power techniques, or it could be a long-distance ability of the staff with the possible Mind gem embedded in it. Personally I'd go with the staff. In person, it can dominate multiple minds simultaneously, without requiring Loki to focus on guiding the victim. At a distance, it can only achieve a more subtle effect and required Loki to concentrate on the target.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Well, near the beginning Avengers we see Loki emerging from the portal in the underground base when they use the Tesseract. Prior to that scene in Avengers he was not on Earth. So, I'm assuming the after credits scene in Thor takes place prior to that scene in Avengers. That is, Loki is not on Earth yet and was lost in space/with Thanos.

for a short blip in time in the MCU Loki had magic...yeah that type of magic Otherwise it doesn't work. He fell into a void ...maybe he fell to earth, he knew other ways to and from asgard maybe he had a space ship down there below the bifrost....or magiks we dont understand yet.

Darkmakaimura

for a short blip in time in the MCU Loki had magic...yeah that type of magic Otherwise it doesn't work. He fell into a void ...maybe he fell to earth, he knew other ways to and from asgard maybe he had a space ship down there below the bifrost....or magiks we dont understand yet.
Well, it's explained in the prequel comic (see edit above) and basically something similar to what Kai said. Loki was partially controlling Selvig from Thanos' realm, probably using his "magic", the staff or something bestowed upon him by Thanos/The Other. When he arrived in the underground base, he then used the staff to take full control of Selvig.

Note we also do actually see Loki "project" himself to Thanos' realm when he is on Earth. The Other than "dispels" it and he finds himself back where he was meditating on Earth. So, the comic's explanation does make some sense after all.

danielcw

2) Second, the end credits scene in Iron Man 2 that has Coulson finding the hammer in the crater. Why is Mjolnir there before Thor has ever touched down on Earth?

Edit: Okay, Coulson found the hammer after Thor had landed on Earth when Jane found him. So the end credits scene in IM2 don't actually take place before those events which is why I was confused. They end credits scene in IM2 take place after Thor was banished.

I have another problem, with that scene.
Coulson arrives, and there are only he, his car, and the hammer.
The rest appears to be empty desert ans vegetation.
But in Thor we saw, that a whole bunch of people had gathered around the hammer and tried to move or to lift it.

I have another problem, with that scene.
Coulson arrives, and there are only he, his car, and the hammer.
The rest appears to be empty desert ans vegetation.
But in Thor we saw, that a whole bunch of people had gathered around the hammer and tried to move or to lift it.

The easiest explaination is that Coulson is there the night it hit Earth, but that scene takes place the next day/a few days after.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So Imgur just brought to my attention that the MCU is currently featuring three beefcakes actors named Chris.

k6DwbCH.gif

fjpw3un.gif

C6GXuCR.gif

No wonder why comic book movies suddenly became popular among the female public.

So Imgur just brought to my attention that the MCU is currently featuring three beefcakes actors named Chris.

k6DwbCH.gif

fjpw3un.gif

C6GXuCR.gif

No wonder why comic book movies suddenly became popular among the female public.
Yes... Females only...

I have absolutely no interest in Marvel and their trifecta of beefy Chrises. O_______O

Jonogunn

I can't get over the fact that Chris Evans is very noticeably smaller than he was in TFA. Too bad he couldn't maintain that mass anymore.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yes... Females only...

I have absolutely no interest in Marvel and their trifecta of beefy Chrises. O_______O

Well, that's a given (lol), but Marvel probably sees the gay market as a bonus more than an actual target, and superhero flicks have traditionally been catered towards males.

Guy or gal, if I were into guys I would def be running into theatres with the quickness.

Evans >>>> the lesser Chrises

So Daniel Radcliff might get a role in the MCU. He said he spoke to Marvel and people think it might be Strange but no way in hell do I think they would cast him for that.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1430665/da...ge-actor-admits-he-recently-talked-to-marvel/

Is there some major reading between the lines here, or am I missing something?
Daniel Radcliffe has admitted that he recently held talks with Marvel over starring in one of the studio’s upcoming projects.

During an interview with BBC News, Radcliffe confirmed to his interviewer, Edith Bowman, that he had indeed had a meeting with some of the folks behind the likes of The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Solider, and Iron Man.

However, it sounds as if he didn’t mean to make the revelation as he accidentally made the statement during a discussion about his recent attire to San Diego Comic-Con.

After Bowman mentioned Radcliffe’s Spider-Man costume that he wore at the nerdy event, Radcliffe stated:

“I went as Spider-Man this year. Which is half childish wish fulfilment to actually be Spider-Man and half that’s the only way that I could have walked around the floor at Comic-Con. I actually talked to some of the guys from Marvel not long ago, and they were saying, ‘We’re just going to wait for somebody at Comic-Con to build an actual Iron Man suit, and then we’re just going to buy it and use it for the film.’ Like they can’t wait for that to happen.”

That was all that Radcliffe had to say about his meeting with Marvel, as he failed to shed any more light on which character he might possibly play.
That hasn’t stopped people from speculating though, and the first rumors have suggested that the Harry Potter actor could be in line to play Doctor Strange.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1430665/da...ecently-talked-to-marvel/#YkzXSAyspZWK39sI.99

He talked with some people from Marvel a while ago and they talked about an Ironman suit at Comic Con. Is everything else being extrapolated due to the fact that he talked with someone at Marvel? couldn't it have been at Comic Con?

He talked to some people at Marvel, becomes a meeting about him starring in a Marvel movie, to speculation that it is Dr. Strange.

I'm not saying that he didn't have a "meeting", but that story is missing a few details.
Like the part where he admits to meeting about a starring role...

Wazzy

Banned
Is there some major reading between the lines here, or am I missing something?

He talked with some people from Marvel a while ago and they talked about an Ironman suit at Comic Con. Is everything else being extrapolated due to the fact that he talked with someone at Marvel? couldn't it have been at Comic Con?

He talked to some people at Marvel, becomes a meeting about him starring in a Marvel movie, to speculation that it is Dr. Strange.

I'm not saying that he didn't have a "meeting", but that story is missing a few details.
Like the part where he admits to meeting about a starring role...

I think the fact he mentioned talking to Marvel could mean something but it's obviously no guarantee and could very well be just what he said, he was only talking to them about the iron man suit. I just generally find that when someone brings up Marvel, they'll end up involved in some way. :p

Gartooth

Unless it was his open casket funeral scene in Cap 3.
Honoring a fallen soldier... RIP Hawkguy

that story leak was fake

lol, anyway I knew that synopsis was fake. (I remember the BS IM3 one as well) It screamed of BS by using stuff we already knew to propel itself up.

Although I do think we might get Cap's moment of using Thor's hammer in this movie given the tease.

Regarding Hawkeye, it wasn't the fake synopsis that made me think he might bite it, but more that the consensus seemed to agree that he would be the most replaceable Avenger and safest death.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Russos are spilling more details on Cap 3:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/2...erica-the-winter-soldier-directors-joe-and-a/

You guys got a lot of credit for putting together a really well-crafted movie [in Captain America: The Winter Soldier], which sometimes I think the Marvel films don't get as much credit for as they maybe deserve because they come out so fast and furious, and they have such commercial potential. Do you think you guys bucked the formula a little bit, or was this movie just proof that Marvel's formula works?

Joe Russo: I think it's proof that Marvel's formula works. I mean, everybody works a little differently here but Marvel, when they hire their filmmakers, you have a pretty wide berth. They're giving you a lot of creative freedom and it's no different from any other studio where of course when somebody writes a check for $200 million, they're going to expect to have a say at some point but it's been the most hands-off experience we've ever had, no question. And we were given the most creative freedom we've ever had, inclusive of our TV experience, where we've built ourselves up into a nice position of power in television.

Makes you wonder why Edgar Wright would leave in the first place.

They also say Henry Jackman is returning to score the film.

Also:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Capt...More-Marvel-Heroes-Than-We-Thought-66918.html

Jeremy Renner got the ball rolling, telling Collider that he’d heard "rumblings" of a beefed-up role in Captain America 3. Seeing as how Joss Whedon’s The Avengers: Age of Ultron hasn’t yet played it cards, it would be early for the Russos to reveal what they had in store. But still, I had them on the phone this afternoon, and asked them which Avengers they would like to have at their disposal for a Black Widow-sized role.

"That’s such a hard question because we’ve kind of already done that," Joe Russo told me, saying they already built characters into their screenplay. "Do they have to be under contract with Marvel? Maybe they are at another studio."

Spider-Man???

Also from Joe Russo:

Listen, when I started collecting, The Secret Wars was one of the first books I ever bought, so that’s always been an obsession of mine to see something of that scale done – a crossover. I don’t know if that would ever be possible, with all the different situations at the studios. But I would love to see a lot of characters on screen together."

Dammit, stop getting my hopes up, Russos.

Dormammu introduced in Doctor Strange movie, extra credit scene hints at Hood, Daniel Radcliffe plays Parker Robbins in Hood movie.

*drops mic*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom