• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT4| Love You $30 Billion

ManaByte

xYGd67K.jpeg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He's wanted to play Doom for 20 years. He auditioned for Doom in the 2005 F4 movie. So you have Marvel's biggest actor playing Marvel's greatest villain.

Oh wow! Didn't know this. Now I'm interested. So I'm assuming Doom will never show his face, right?

Doom85

But at no time do we see him without the mask "pre" scarring I'm hoping.

The usual Doom origin would have him in college when the explosion that scars him occurs, and they’d likely use a different actor for those scenes (though likely one that looks like they could grow up to resemble RDJ).

mckmas8808

The usual Doom origin would have him in college when the explosion that scars him occurs, and they’d likely use a different actor for those scenes (though likely one that looks like they could grow up to resemble RDJ).

Ahhh!!! Great point! I'm so hyped now. :)

Doom85

Not sure they’ll show the Doom origin much.

Considering the high reverence they showed for the character at the Comic Con announcement, I can’t imagine that would be the case. You’ve got his history with Latveria and his mother, his history with Reed and Ben, ain’t no way they’ll dumb that down like they did in the 2000’s films to “he’s a corrupt businessman” and “he’s from Latveria, I guess”. Mind you, developing his time in college also develops Reed and Ben, so it’s not like the film would be spending too much time devoted to only one character.

ManaByte

Considering the high reverence they showed for the character at the Comic Con announcement, I can’t imagine that would be the case. You’ve got his history with Latveria and his mother, his history with Reed and Ben, ain’t no way they’ll dumb that down like they did in the 2000’s films to “he’s a corrupt businessman” and “he’s from Latveria, I guess”. Mind you, developing his time in college also develops Reed and Ben, so it’s not like the film would be spending too much time devoted to only one character.

I mean, Feige has said they're not doing origin movies anymore. They can reference his past, but he's not going to get a 20 minute origin in the F4 movie.

Doom85

I mean, Feige has said they're not doing origin movies anymore. They can reference his past, but he's not going to get a 20 minute origin in the F4 movie.

There’s a difference between going into their past lives (and I’m not asking for 20 minutes, a good script could easily handle this in 10 minutes spread throughout the film. Again, remember, this develops not just Victor but also Reed and Ben), especially when the villain is involved, and the actual cause of what gives them their powers which is usually what people consider the “origin” element. Considering Doom was poorly adapted in all prior films, it would be a poor choice to omit the stuff that adds a lot to his character. Otherwise, he won’t be as fleshed out and some might be thinking, “is this guy that much of an improvement over Kang?”

Like, X-men is a different story as while they did get some elements wrong, they did more or less got the origins element right. Though again, this is why I would not take that “no origin films” statement to such an extreme, as they will have to establish how the mutant gene awakens in the MCU and details like that. It may not be a full origin story, but it would fall under the establishing background details that are important. You just can’t skip things like that by saying, “no, they were always there!” otherwise nothing makes sense as it begs the question why zero mutants helped during any of the crisis so far (and you can’t say discrimination, as if no one knew they existed, they couldn’t have known they’d be discriminated against).

ManaByte

D23 Expo is this weekend and where SDCC focuses on the movies, Marvel usually has TV at D23.

The Marvel animation panel on Saturday is expected to have:
X-Men 97 S2
Eyes of Wakanda
What If...? S3
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

For the live action stuff, Charlie Cox will be there so they'll be covering Daredevil. They'll probably confirm what shows are still being made. We know Ironheart is basically in the can, and since they've been filming Wonder Man in CA Feige confirmed that's still coming.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
D23 Expo is this weekend and where SDCC focuses on the movies, Marvel usually has TV at D23.

X-Men 97 S2
Eyes of Wakanda
What If...? S3

For the live action stuff, Charlie Cox will be there so they'll be covering Daredevil. They'll probably confirm what shows are still being made. We know Ironheart is basically in the can, and since they've been filming Wonder Man in CA Feige confirmed that's still coming.

What day is the MCU stuff this week?

mckmas8808

X-Men 97 S2
Eyes of Wakanda
What If...? S3

How did Wonder Man not get axed? Who's asking for that?

ManaByte

How did Wonder Man not get axed? Who's asking for that?

He was a pretty major member of the Avengers (West Coast Avengers) in the late 80s into the 90s. And DC is doing Booster Gold, so makes sense that Marvel would do their version, although WM is more serious.

ManaByte

DelireMan7

So what's the status of the MCU now ?
I haven't watch anything since Thor 4 (aka the worst film of the MCU, it literally made me stop watch anything related to MCU), even Loki S2 despite loving the first season.

Is there a real overarching story connecting the movies like in the first one ? An horizon of a big event to come ? Something worth watching ?

ManaByte

So what's the status of the MCU now ?
I haven't watch anything since Thor 4 (aka the worst film of the MCU, it literally made me stop watch anything related to MCU), even Loki S2 despite loving the first season.

Is there a real overarching story connecting the movies like in the first one ? An horizon of a big event to come ? Something worth watching ?

Yes they're adapting Hickman's Secret Wars, which will culminate in Avengers: Doomsday the unnamed movie after that and then Avengers: Secret Wars which will then result in a new universe.

They're in the middle of Time Runs Out right now where universe incursions are starting to happen.

If you want the direct path in the storyline so far it's:

Spider-Man: No Way Home
What If...? S1
Loki S1
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
What If...? S2
Loki S2
The Marvels
Deadpool & Wolverine

Then next year Fantastic 4: First Steps adds another huge piece.

DelireMan7

Yes they're adapting Hickman's Secret Wars, which will culminate in Avengers: Doomsday the unnamed movie after that and then Avengers: Secret Wars which will then result in a new universe.

They're in the middle of Time Runs Out right now where universe incursions are starting to happen.

If you want the direct path in the storyline so far it's:

Spider-Man: No Way Home
What If...? S1
Loki S1
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
What If...? S2
Loki S2
The Marvels
Deadpool & Wolverine

Then next year Fantastic 4: First Steps adds another huge piece.
Wow thanks.

Might watch Loki S2 then and see if it puts me in mood for more.

DelireMan7

You might want to watch Loki S1 first thing. I'm not sure if a person can like the second season without watching the first.
I watched the first one, twice, and I loved it.

But Thor 4 really made me lose any faith I had in the future of MCU, so I stop watching any content from them.

ManaByte

RDJ almost appeared in Deadpool & Wolverine:

IndieWire: In the scene with Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan, did you want Robert Downey Jr. in that scene, too? Or did you know when writing it he was going to play Doctor Doom?

Paul Wernick:
We had wanted him to do a cameo. We had written that scene [to start] with Happy and Downey.

Rhett Reese: Ryan Reynolds read the scene with both of them, so in the hopes we could get Downey. But he also wanted Favreau, because they’re a great combo, and they were all in the scene together.

Wernick: Behind the scenes, we didn’t know about the Doctor Doom. And there’s no way he was going to do both. And then we said, “Oh, Downey doesn’t say ‘no’ to Ryan Reynolds, does he? No one says no to Ryan Reynolds.” And Ryan gave him the hard press. We wrote scenes, and Downey read the scenes, but what we didn’t know behind the scenes was this Doctor Doom thing.

Since we’ll never see Downey in “Deadpool & Wolverine,” what was going to be his role or punchline?

Reese:
It was a version of what you saw in the sense that he rejected Wade. He just said he wasn’t a team player or whatever and questioned his team-player abilities. So it was actually pretty close to the scene that you saw. It just had two guys instead of one. And then Jon [Favreau] was, graciously, connected to it from the start. It worked out great. I mean, look, we would’ve loved to have Downey. But, at the same time, I think Marvel had this ace in their hole, which is he’s about to come back in this different character. So, to have him be Tony Stark? Knowing that Doctor Doom was coming on the heels of that? It just didn’t make sense.

Wernick: We haven’t told anybody this, but there was a version of that scene very, very early on that wasn’t written, but was conceived, that had all the Avengers in the room. And Wade was rejected and then he dressed all the Avengers down in a way only Deadpool could do.

Reese: That’s a little bit of a scoop, but he was going to get mad and basically attack each one of them in a vicious kind of way.

Doom85

Multiverse of Madness, Thor, and Marvels were victims of Bob Cheapek mandating two hour runtimes to fit more theater showtimes. All three movies had about 20-30 minutes at least cut out.

Interesting, I wonder why Black Panther 2 was immune to that since it was over 2.5 hours IIRC. Guardians 3 doesn’t surprise me being immune, they probably gave James Gunn plenty of freedom given how successful the prior two GOTGs were.

Honestly, I still really enjoyed Strange 2 and Thor 4, though the former could have spent more time with Strange and Chavez going through different universes before they reach the ones we did get in the film to help build their bond more so yeah that extra time might have helped, and Thor 4 could have used a bit more Gorr action (though, hmm, 20-30 more minutes might mean more scenes of those goddamn goats…..okay, Bob might have made the right call on that one).

Marvels couldn’t be saved IMHO with how they had it set up. Drop Carol as the lead (Brie can be a good actress, but she seemed done trying in this film. Bring her back in an Avengers film if she feels like trying again) and Monica (good actress, but the character has been set up so poorly, half the time we knew her as a little kid, then we suddenly have an adult version and barely got time with her dealing with what happened to her mother before she gets sucked into Wanda’s story).

Have it just be Kamala and Fury out in a space adventure and they meet one Guardian, ideally Drax or Mantis, and that‘s a much better trio to play off each other (honestly, it’s a shame we never had a film with Fury interacting with all the Guardians together, his reactions to some of their behavior would have been priceless). Also actually acknowledge Fury dealing with the emotional fallout over Secret Invasion (yes, it’s shit, but it did happen) and Kamala is the perfect sort of idealistic character for helping lift his spirits and get him back into the swing of things and he can be sort of a mentor for her. Also different villain (that actress might be good in other films, but oof she was weak here), I barely know Marvel’s cosmic side in the comics but surely they must have some other options. As for how Ms Marvel’s show ended, they could have had another explanation for the swap, have it be a one time swap that didn’t occur again afterwards so Fury ends up being the one to find Kamala in space, and they could have Kamala meet Carol in the movie‘s epilogue when the former returns to Earth.

Also felt like the directing was off in the action, even the weaker MCU films had some level of tension in some fights or conflicts. In The Marvels, all the fights felt weightless. Like people criticize Ant-man 3 a lot, but I would still say Scott vs. Kang had more intensity to it than any of the fights in The Marvels. I‘m not saying the film needed to be dark or super intense, but the fights should have even some level of suspense.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Interesting, I wonder why Black Panther 2 was immune to that since it was over 2.5 hours IIRC. Guardians 3 doesn’t surprise me being immune, they probably gave James Gunn plenty of freedom given how successful the prior two GOTGs were.

Honestly, I still really enjoyed Strange 2 and Thor 4, though the former could have spent more time with Strange and Chavez going through different universes before they reach the ones we did get in the film to help build their bond more so yeah that extra time might have helped, and Thor 4 could have used a bit more Gorr action (though, hmm, 20-30 more minutes might mean more scenes of those goddamn goats…..okay, Bob might have made the right call on that one).

Marvels couldn’t be saved IMHO with how they had it set up. Drop Carol as the lead (Brie can be a good actress, but she seemed done trying in this film. Bring her back in an Avengers film if she feels like trying again) and Monica (good actress, but the character has been set up so poorly, half the time we knew her as a little kid, then we suddenly have an adult version and barely got time with her dealing with what happened to her mother before she gets sucked into Wanda’s story).

Have it just be Kamala and Fury out in a space adventure and they meet one Guardian, ideally Drax or Mantis, and that‘s a much better trio to play off each other (honestly, it’s a shame we never had a film with Fury interacting with all the Guardians together, his reactions to some of their behavior would have been priceless). Also actually acknowledge Fury dealing with the emotional fallout over Secret Invasion (yes, it’s shit, but it did happen) and Kamala is the perfect sort of idealistic character for helping lift his spirits and get him back into the swing of things and he can be sort of a mentor for her. Also different villain (that actress might be good in other films, but oof she was weak here), I barely know Marvel’s cosmic side in the comics but surely they must have some other options. As for how Ms Marvel’s show ended, they could have had another explanation for the swap, have it be a one time swap that didn’t occur again afterwards so Fury ends up being the one to find Kamala in space, and they could have Kamala meet Carol in the movie‘s epilogue when the former returns to Earth.

Also felt like the directing was off in the action, even the weaker MCU films had some level of tension in some fights or conflicts. In The Marvels, all the fights felt weightless. Like people criticize Ant-man 3 a lot, but I would still say Scott vs. Kang had more intensity to it than any of the fights in The Marvels. I‘m not saying the film needed to be dark or super intense, but the fights should have even some level of suspense.

For Strange 2 they cut out a whole lot of Wanda fighting the Wizards. Raimi said the original cut was 2 hours and 40 minutes and then Disney mandated the 2 hours so they did reshoots so it didn't feel like much was cut out.

About 20 min in the Marvels was cut from the musical planet.

Doom85

For Strange 2 they cut out a whole lot of Wanda fighting the Wizards. Raimi said the original cut was 2 hours and 40 minutes and then Disney mandated the 2 hours so they did reshoots so it didn't feel like much was cut out.

About 20 min in the Marvels was cut from the musical planet.

Hmm, the Wanda attacking the Wizards to get to Chavez felt like a reasonable length, I don’t think it needed to be that much longer.

The musical planet? The screentime wasn’t the issue, because as Pitch Meeting pointed out, if their culture is set up this way, why didn’t singing factor in at all when the fighting started? It’s like we have one vibe on this planet, and then suddenly it’s a generic sci-fi battle you could have on any planet. Dr. Strange 2 had more of a legit musical battle over this film funny enough.

DelireMan7

Multiverse of Madness, Thor, and Marvels were victims of Bob Cheapek mandating two hour runtimes to fit more theater showtimes. All three movies had about 20-30 minutes at least cut out.
I enjoyed Multiverse of Madness still. Haven't seen Marvels.

But I think they should have cut 2 hours more from Thor 4. They turned Thor into a shitty comedy. There is joke every 5 seconds, nothing can be taken seriously : the villains, Thor, the God of Olympus. Each time they try to introduce something serious, they immediately destroy it by turning it into a joke just after.
Then children are fighting the big bad at the end ?
The only redeeming stuff I can see and some interesting idea on fight scenes.

Sorry I realize I really hate the movie and should stop speaking about it xD You got the idea.

mckmas8808

But I think they should have cut 2 hours more from Thor 4. They turned Thor into a shitty comedy. There is joke every 5 seconds, nothing can be taken seriously : the villains, Thor, the God of Olympus. Each time they try to introduce something serious, they immediately destroy it by turning it into a joke just after.

Sorry I realize I really hate the movie and should stop speaking about it xD You got the idea.

My wife and I used to go to the movies to see every Marvel movie. Now after Thor 4, she is so hesitate to go with me. She hated Thor 4 for the same reasons you did. Stupid comedy where 50% wasn't funny. She lost trust. And then she couldn't keep up with the TV shows, so she was really done!

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I watched the first one, twice, and I loved it.

But Thor 4 really made me lose any faith I had in the future of MCU, so I stop watching any content from them.

Thor 4 was horrible, I'm a huge fan of that storyline in the comics and they completely butchered it (No pun intended)

As a huge MCU fan, I had a ton of issues with Phase 4 and Phase 5 but Multiverse of Madness is still my favorite Phase 4 movie. As for Phase 5, the only thing I loved was Loki Season 2. I'm waiting on Deadpool And Wolverine to come to Streaming. I hope I enjoy that movie too

What they should have done with Thor 4 is get a director who is not Taika, increase the length to 2 hour 30 mins to 2 hours 50 mins, make it much darker with less jokes and delayed it by an year or two so that the special effects companies had more time to work on making the CGI look great. As I said still salty about this movie

Notice Feige's hat. He's there for D23 Expo.

I just see it as a Deadpool And Wolverine hat? I don't notice anything special about it?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Same for me. It didn't help neither.

The God butcher story in the comics is so good. I was so excited to see it in the movie.

They butchered it, no other word

I'm still on Jason Aaron Thor Run and I'm on the last story arc (War of the Realms)

If MCU ever decide to adapt this story, I hope they don't screw it up like they did with Gorr The God Butcher

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
That's not until 7pm PST tonight and it's two hours. Marvel is always at the end of the second hour. So it won't be until very late tonight.

That's good to know^^

One of the problem is that they putted too much story arc in one movie : God butcher, Mighty thor, the Gods etc...

I wish they do more focused movie on juste 1 or 2 story

That was another issue I had with Thor 4. They should have taken the whole subplot with Jane getting cancer and also becoming female Thor and put that as the main plot of a Thor 5. Where she goes against Mangog in the that film and than she goes to Vahalla after she dies.

Another issue that I had with Thor 4 is the fact that Gorr was hardly in the movie. He should have been in at least 40 to 50 minutes of the movie

Them going to that place of the Gods was necessary though due to Gorr The God Butcher

Top Bottom