• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Phase V Revelead

Jaybe

im fucking lost in phase 4, just finished loki...i havnt watched eternals ( whoever they are ) and some ten rings thing??...phase 5 looks like even more of a cluster fuck...really regretting carrying on after endgame, all the most likeable characters are gone and im just struggling to watch this shite lol
Just drop it man, you don’t owe them anything and they haven’t earned your time. The multiverse is such a boring concept to be made the foundation of these phases. Try other TV series, and books that are higher quality, and maybe older movies if there are some classics you haven’t seen.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No, it's like if Justin Bieber released 8 albums a year that all sold more than anything else and dominated the charts., blocking out all the other music, making producers stop making new interesting music.

That's what's going on with Disney and the movie industry.

Except Marvel doesn't release 8 movies a year... And not every movie makes a billion... Even BEFORE COVID.

Plenty of other movies make bank at the box office... Your perception is a bit skewed.

Interfectum

im fucking lost in phase 4, just finished loki...i havnt watched eternals ( whoever they are ) and some ten rings thing??...phase 5 looks like even more of a cluster fuck...really regretting carrying on after endgame, all the most likeable characters are gone and im just struggling to watch this shite lol
It's definitely a struggle. Most of these new heroes pale in comparison to the OG Avengers. Shang Chi and The Eternals were both painful to get through. Haven't even bothered with Ms Marvel yet. Spider-Man has been the only bright spot and that's only because I watched the older Spider-Man movies as a kid. Even the plot in that movie was dumb and made Dr. Strange out to be an idiot. Someone take his powers away please.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Yeah, we all have different taste. The fact that a lot of people think Snyder is a very good director should make you think that maybe, MAYBE you don't like a lot his movies but we do. Just different opinion.
And it is seriously infuriating to read "he is so shit, he don't know how to make a movie etc..." Like their opinion is everything. Man I've never seen a director getting that amount of shit from random people.
I think Army of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, MoS, BvS and ZSJL were all freakin amazing.

Critically acclaimed won't happen because "oh dear Lord he didn't make Superman a boy scout from the start, he knows nothing and is an insult for DC" and "OMG Batman is killing!! Because I don't want character development and I don't like different ideas this is shit, booooh Snyder"
And when I see ManaByte ManaByte who doesn't miss a single opportunity to write shit about his fans or his movies, even if it means reporting fake news, I just don't get it.
For example The Batman was long, quite boring, Pattinson is ABSOUTELY not convincing as Bruce/Batman and the story uses great scriptwriting facilities (seriously, Alfred is not dead? And Batman too when that bomb explose right in his face?) that nobody's talk about for some reason. Am I gonna go to every Batman thread to shit on the film or on Matt Reeves? Nah, I let people who enjoy it talk about it and don't care for the rest.

There is TONS of fans explaining why BvS (for example) talked to them, why they liked it and why it was so powerful. Just watch a video (agree or not is another thing of course):

Btw, BvS who is apparently a failure, made more money than The Batman... In fact with inflation, BvS would go over the billion mark. But, I don't see people reporting on that, or criticizing the box office of The Batman. Why?

Anyway I've seen DC with Snyder, and without him.
Well, please come back Snyder.

I disagree with your position, but I admire your conviction.

It's definitely a struggle. Most of these new heroes pale in comparison to the OG Avengers. Shang Chi and The Eternals were both painful to get through. Haven't even bothered with Ms Marvel yet. Spider-Man has been the only bright spot and that's only because I watched the older Spider-Man movies as a kid. Even the plot in that movie was dumb and made Dr. Strange out to be an idiot. Someone take his powers away please.
its gonna be a real slog then.

Bragr

Banned
Except Marvel doesn't release 8 movies a year... And not every movie makes a billion... Even BEFORE COVID.

Plenty of other movies make bank at the box office... Your perception is a bit skewed.
The fact that you had to take my words literally and explain that Marvel doesn't release 8 movies a year shows how absurd it is.

It's actually worse than the Bieber example, watching more than 2 Marvel movies a year is like eating McDonalds' every day, turning your body and head into mush. You lose all sense of what a good movie is, and start to enjoy things like ant man and black panther, completely living in your own bubble where you and all your friends watch the trailers together, crying while you do so. It's like living in the sewer, where all your friends are rats and homeless people, and there is nothing to watch but shit.

Lady Jane

Banned

I am getting tired of Dr. Strange's bonehead decision making driving the plot in the MCU.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The fact that you had to take my words literally and explain that Marvel doesn't release 8 movies a year shows how absurd it is.

It's actually worse than the Bieber example, watching more than 2 Marvel movies a year is like eating McDonalds' every day, turning your body and head into mush. You lose all sense of what a good movie is, and start to enjoy things like ant man and black panther, completely living in your own bubble where you and all your friends watch the trailers together, crying while you do so. It's like living in the sewer, where all your friends are rats and homeless people, and there is nothing to watch but shit.

Which Avenger punched your kid? Like dude... LMBO!

Bragr

Banned
Which Avenger punched your kid? Like dude... LMBO!
Some of the movies are great, some solid, some ok, and some terrible, but the way people gush over them is the same way girls gushed over boybands in the 90s, or the twilight movies, some of these movies are so cheap and silly yet people cry when they watch the trailers. It's overloading my cringe meter. It's like being around people who think ed sheeran is a sex symbol and taylor swift is badass.

I liked Thanos and the Infnity War, but now when the entire phase has been weak and you have people still claiming they are awesome and can't see the difference, you start to understand that these people will always like Marvel, no matter how weak it is. They have nothing in their body judging bad from good, everything is cool for them, so you will always have Marvel around making worse and worse content, and people will still watch, and it's annoying.

Doom85

I am getting tired of Dr. Strange's bonehead decision making driving the plot in the MCU.

They’re just staying consistent with how the character has behaved in all his prior movies in that he will be over confident in his ability to use magic and such without considering the consequences. If you don’t like that element of his character, fine, but this is who Strange is, at least for now.

Hari Seldon

Isn’t Marvel just additional to everything else?
What else? Between capeshit and china-pandering, hollywood has fallen from something that I used to care about to now it is like F tier entertainment, far below TV or video games. Yeah maybe they produce 1-2 movies a year I actually want to see, but that is far far far far below the amount of TV shows or video games that I want to experience.

What else? Between capeshit and china-pandering, hollywood has fallen from something that I used to care about to now it is like F tier entertainment, far below TV or video games. Yeah maybe they produce 1-2 movies a year I actually want to see, but that is far far far far below the amount of TV shows or video games that I want to experience.
TCM to the rescue.

I 100% agree with your post. I'm not exactly a movie snob but love watching what I consider good movies. And legitimately high quality cinema (driven by "auteur" directors, working with high quality scripts and with supremely talented actors) stopped being a mainstream thing at the end of the 70s.

Yes, there have been "auteurs" (e.g., early/mid career Tarantino) and supremely talented actors (e.g., Daniel Day-Lewis) but by and large modern Hollywood is full of pure shit.

Doom85

The fact that a company like A24 can make such crazy, batshit films (“a couple adopt a human-like lamb!” “Here’s some money!” “A middle aged woman getting audited is flung into the multiverse!” “You’re greenlit as well, have fun!” “A bunch of young people fuck and a sexually frustrated old lady decides to murder the shit out of them!” “I’m out of checks, is cash okay?”) and is doing just fine completely counters the naysayers who act like Marvel has total control over what films are made today. Like last year, was Dune like a MCU film? What about the horror films? No Time to Die? West Side Story? The Last Duel? The Green Knight?

It’s like anime fans who bitch about isekai, or moe back in the day. Yeah, 10-15 isekai anime come out a year these days….along with 200 other anime series in 2021, like holy fuck were we spoiled for choice, yet ignorant people be all, “there’s nothing to watch but isekai!” For fucks’ sake. And the movie industry is no different, tons of movies come out each month. If somebody honestly can’t find a decent amount to enjoy per year, I don’t think that’s the industry’s fault.

HNvW8rw.gif

(to be clear, I’m not calling anyone an asshole, but the cynical part is mostly on point to me)

Besides, in terms of big films, one or two genres usually “dominate” throughout the decade. Westerns back in the day. Gun-based action films. Disaster films in the mid to late 90’s (the most uninteresting IMHO). This shit isn’t new. And superhero movies tend to be more diverse than those genres, I mean how many westerns are going to be in space or fighting in WW 1 or 2, etc.?

bitbydeath

I don’t think Marvel is to blame here but rather the rise of quality TV has made a shift in entertainment.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The fact that a company like A24 can make such crazy, batshit films (“a couple adopt a human-like lamb!” “Here’s some money!” “A middle aged woman getting audited is flung into the multiverse!” “You’re greenlit as well, have fun!” “A bunch of young people fuck and a sexually frustrated old lady decides to murder the shit out of them!” “I’m out of checks, is cash okay?”) and is doing just fine completely counters the naysayers who act like Marvel has total control over what films are made today. Like last year, was Dune like a MCU film? What about the horror films? No Time to Die? West Side Story? The Last Duel? The Green Knight?

It’s like anime fans who bitch about isekai, or moe back in the day. Yeah, 10-15 isekai anime come out a year these days….along with 200 other anime series in 2021, like holy fuck were we spoiled for choice, yet ignorant people be all, “there’s nothing to watch but isekai!” For fucks’ sake. And the movie industry is no different, tons of movies come out each month. If somebody honestly can’t find a decent amount to enjoy per year, I don’t think that’s the industry’s fault.

HNvW8rw.gif

(to be clear, I’m not calling anyone an asshole, but the cynical part is mostly on point to me)

Besides, in terms of big films, one or two genres usually “dominate” throughout the decade. Westerns back in the day. Gun-based action films. Disaster films in the mid to late 90’s (the most uninteresting IMHO). This shit isn’t new. And superhero movies tend to be more diverse than those genres, I mean how many westerns are going to be in space or fighting in WW 1 or 2, etc.?

Exactly! There's so much to look forward to out there that if you think Marvel is dictating the tone of everything else, then you aren't actually looking NOR going to a theater!

sol_bad

No, it's like if Justin Bieber released 8 albums a year that all sold more than anything else and dominated the charts., blocking out all the other music, making producers stop making new interesting music.

That's what's going on with Disney and the movie industry.

Let's say the MCU was dead, if you expect movies like Death on the Nile, Dog, After Yang, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Lost City, Ambulance, Father Stu, The Northman, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Crimes of the Future, The Black Phone, Elvis, Nope and Bullet Train to magically make 150 million opening weekend box office you live in a dream world.

Have you even gone to the cinemas to support these films?

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Let's say the MCU was dead, if you expect movies like Death on the Nile, Dog, After Yang, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Lost City, Ambulance, Father Stu, The Northman, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Crimes of the Future, The Black Phone, Elvis, Nope and Bullet Train to magically make 150 million opening weekend box office you like in a dream world.

I have for every single movie you listed and more so the ones that you didn't list

Bragr

Banned
Let's say the MCU was dead, if you expect movies like Death on the Nile, Dog, After Yang, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Lost City, Ambulance, Father Stu, The Northman, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Crimes of the Future, The Black Phone, Elvis, Nope and Bullet Train to magically make 150 million opening weekend box office you live in a dream world.

Some of them. Why does it need to make 150 million?

Point is, that the money and effort big companies put into superhero movies would be used on something else, and the audience wouldn't get used to watching pure effect and spectacle movies, but get more interested in more varied stuff, creating a demand for different movies.

sol_bad

Some of them. Why does it need to make 150 million?

Point is, that the money and effort big companies put into superhero movies would be used on something else, and the audience wouldn't get used to watching pure effect and spectacle movies, but get more interested in more varied stuff, creating a demand for different movies.

The money would be used on other big budget action films based on known IP's, the only difference would be it wouldn't be super heroes.
Audiences have made it extremely clear that they generally aren't interested in new IP's. Which is why I mentioned the movies above, they are majority new ideas and don't make anywhere near as much money.

Look at all the original sci-fi films that have been released over the last 20 years, large majority of them haven't done well. And as much as I love the John Wick movies, martial arts films will never make anywhere near as much money as the Marvel movies, people just aren't that interested in martial arts stories. I'm not saying that John Wick films did poorly, they did very well compared to their budgets, I'm just saying it has no where near the same market.

I personally prefer more movies with quality like the MCU than films like the Resident Evil franchise, the Underworld franchise, Taken 3, Die Hard 5, Total Recall reboot, the new Hellboy, Sahara, Prince of Persia, Sahara, Transporter franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean 4/5, Battlefield Earth, Bloodrayne, Balistic: Echs vs Sever, Dragonball Evolution or The Scorpian King.
Killing the MCU does not automatically = higher quality cinema because the studios rarey know how to do good action films with good characters.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
The money would be used on other big budget action films based on known IP's, the only difference would be it wouldn't be super heroes.
Audiences have made it extremely clear that they generally aren't interested in new IP's. Which is why I mentioned the movies above, they are majority new ideas and don't make anywhere near as much money.

Look at all the original sci-fi films that have been released over the last 20 years, large majority of them haven't done well. And as much as I love the John Wick movies, martial arts films will never make anywhere near as much money as the Marvel movies, people just aren't that interested in martial arts stories. I'm not saying that John Wick films did poorly, they did very well compared to their budgets, I'm just saying it has no where near the same market.

I personally prefer more movies with quality like the MCU than films like the Resident Evil franchise, the Underworld franchise, Taken 3, Die Hard 5, Total Recall reboot, the new Hellboy, Sahara, Prince of Persia, Sahara, Transporter franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean 4/5, Battlefield Earth, Bloodrayne, Balistic: Echs vs Sever, Dragonball Evolution or The Scorpian King.
Killing the MCU does not automatically = higher quality cinema because the studios rarey know how to do good action films with good characters.

Man what I would kill for the 3rd Hellboy movie to be made. The Del Toro, Ron Perlman starring one

RPS37

I’m hyped but is there anything left for this year?
Thor just came out and Black a Panther 2 is November?

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

Listen, it's pointless to list a bunch of random movies. I don't have a comprehensive list of movies to compare to the Marvel era vs the pre-Marvel era, and neither do you. There is not much meaning in pursuing that angle.

It's not all about making money, it's also about the film. What does John Wick have to do with this? why mention Pirates 4 and 5 and not the first? or the old Hellboy and not the new?

And all those movies you did mention, have different ideas and premises, while the Marvel movies use the same ideas over and over, it's a conveyor belt, pre-planned years ahead. It's about trailers, hype, and effects. It matters little if the movie lacks a decent script, the effects cover up any shortcomings, those movies you mention get blasted and people don't like them, but the Marvel movies captivate with their spectacle and it means nothing how good the movie is, only the fanfare itself has meaning.

It's trained a new generation of filmgoers to enjoy noise and sound and nothing else, cheering in the theatre, and crying to the trailers, but no one questions the stories being told, because they mean nothing.

I swear half these movies are made with the trailer in mind. The teasers and trailers are more important than the films.

pramod

Banned
I disagree with your position, but I admire your conviction.
I feel like both DCEU and especially recent MCU movies have huge plotholes, but seems like the DCEU movies just get a lot more internet hate. It's almost like the console wars where the Sony army is just a lot more effective in building up anti-MS sentiment and defending their own camp.

For example I didn't realize I was supposed to hate the "Martha" line in BvS until after I watched the movie and found the meme on the internet. I mean, I know it's a dumb coincidence but there's stuff in the MCU that's even dumber, but MCU fanboys would ravenously defend any weakness in their movies.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I don’t think Marvel is to blame here but rather the rise of quality TV has made a shift in entertainment.
I mean Marvel is not solely to blame. China takes a big portion of the blame. The block busters need to be dumb enough that they can cross cultural boundaries. Comic book shit is definitely dumb enough. I'm sure if they could find a property even dumber than comic books (if such a thing even exists?) they would use that instead.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
"X-Men" is the sexiest title in comics. It'd be a shame to lose that.

"X" has just always been a cool letter - everyone knows that. "Men" is a nice and short cap to that.

"The Mutants" sounds clunky.

Yeah, it seemed pretty clear Alonso was pushing for that. Pretty lame, honestly.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I feel like both DCEU and especially recent MCU movies have huge plotholes, but seems like the DCEU movies just get a lot more internet hate. It's almost like the console wars where the Sony army is just a lot more effective in building up anti-MS sentiment and defending their own camp.

For example I didn't realize I was supposed to hate the "Martha" line in BvS until after I watched the movie and found the meme on the internet. I mean, I know it's a dumb coincidence but there's stuff in the MCU that's even dumber, but MCU fanboys would ravenously defend any weakness in their movies.

Mate…. The Martha thing deserved every bit of hate it got. It was so incredibly dumb… especially when there are so many ways you can bring Superman and Batman together, that have been detailed the comics over the years. If anything underlined the fact that Snyder doesn’t understand those characters, it’s that he went with that decision to unite them, rather than something much more natural and logical.

I‘m a dyed in the wool DC guy, and I can see that Marvel’s output has been, by and large, majorly superior to DC’s in the last 10 years.

ManaByte

Ehh I liked Shang chi but this is a pretty big gamble for marvel. Then again, they’ve been taking gambles on directors since the beginning and it’s payed off for them.

He's also making the Shang-Chi sequel and the Disney+ spin-off series.

Wouldn't be shocking if the Shang-Chi sequel is one of those early Phase 6 movies and he does that and Avengers back-to-back.

Last edited:

ManaByte

As part of that, he is developing, with Andrew Guest, a writer-producer on comedies such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Community, a live-action series featuring Wonder Man that he will exec produce and possibly direct an episode or more. He also has a Shang-Chi sequel in the works.

Wait, what?

Choking Nathan Fillion GIF by HULU

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Loki was really good, so definitely looking forward to that, and also Guardians 3. The rest, meh (but I will watch all of it because I'm too invested at this point).

sol_bad

Listen, it's pointless to list a bunch of random movies. I don't have a comprehensive list of movies to compare to the Marvel era vs the pre-Marvel era, and neither do you. There is not much meaning in pursuing that angle.

It's not all about making money, it's also about the film. What does John Wick have to do with this? why mention Pirates 4 and 5 and not the first? or the old Hellboy and not the new?

And all those movies you did mention, have different ideas and premises, while the Marvel movies use the same ideas over and over, it's a conveyor belt, pre-planned years ahead. It's about trailers, hype, and effects. It matters little if the movie lacks a decent script, the effects cover up any shortcomings, those movies you mention get blasted and people don't like them, but the Marvel movies captivate with their spectacle and it means nothing how good the movie is, only the fanfare itself has meaning.

It's trained a new generation of filmgoers to enjoy noise and sound and nothing else, cheering in the theatre, and crying to the trailers, but no one questions the stories being told, because they mean nothing.

I swear half these movies are made with the trailer in mind. The teasers and trailers are more important than the films.

I mentioned the above movies because they are far worse films than what the MCU offers. Different premises don't mean anything when they are poorly executed. Have you not watched any of them?

Mentioning the new Hellboy and not the previous 2 Hellboys is obvious, Guilermo Del Toro knows how to direct films. Neil Marshall on the otherhand somehow lost all his talent and hasn't made a good film since The Descent.

Your point is Marvel Studios is dumbing down cinema. My point is this was and is still happening by other studios, not Marvel Studios. You can't realistically sit there with a straight face and say the Resident Evil and Underworld films are better than MCU films. Even the worst MCU film is better than them.

But then again, art and cinema are subjective so maybe you do like that trash better than the MCU.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I mentioned the above movies because they are far worse films than what the MCU offers. Different premises don't mean anything when they are poorly executed. Have you not watched any of them?

Mentioning the new Hellboy and not the previous 2 Hellboys is obvious, Guilermo Del Toro knows how to direct films. Neil Marshall on the otherhand somehow lost all his talent and hasn't made a good film since The Descent.

Your point is Marvel Studios is dumbing down cinema. My point is this was and is still happening by other studios, not Marvel Studios. You can't realistically sit there with a straight face and say the Resident Evil and Underworld films are better than MCU films. Even the worst MCU film is better than them.

But then again, art and cinema are subjective so maybe you do like that trash better than the MCU.
Again, why pick some random bad movie, and say it's worse than the MCU? Why are you talking about Underworld? I don't see the point, are you saying that these movies wouldn't be made today? that Marvel cockblock them?

A better question to ask, is would we have Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator, or Hellboy in today's climate at all?

Look at what's happening, trash movies in the past were trashed, trash movies of today, like Doctor Strange and Eternals, are making hundreds of millions, and people want more. The dumbing down of cinema comes from how Disney hypes people with teasers, events, and flashy marketing, and is able to create terrible movies and force them to become popular by overwhelming the audiences with cheap tricks.

It's like if they made 6 Underworld movies a year, for 10 years straight, with different phases to trick people to feel like it's "new", with special effects and constant cross-over characters, to the point where don't even know what you are watching.

sol_bad

Again, why pick some random bad movie, and say it's worse than the MCU? Why are you talking about Underworld? I don't see the point, are you saying that these movies wouldn't be made today? that Marvel cockblock them?

A better question to ask, is would we have Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator, or Hellboy in today's climate at all?

Look at what's happening, trash movies in the past were trashed, trash movies of today, like Doctor Strange and Eternals, are making hundreds of millions, and people want more. The dumbing down of cinema comes from how Disney hypes people with teasers, events, and flashy marketing, and is able to create terrible movies and force them to become popular by overwhelming the audiences with cheap tricks.

It's like if they made 6 Underworld movies a year, for 10 years straight, with different phases to trick people to feel like it's "new", with special effects and constant cross-over characters, to the point where don't even know what you are watching.

We had a new Hellboy 3 years ago in 2019, the same year where the biggest comic book movie of all time was released Endgame.
Jungle Cruise was released last year and despite it struggling through the pandemic a sequel was greenlit.
The Last Duel was released last year, 20th Century took a risk on a new medieval epic and due to it failing miserably other studios probably won't take a risk on another. Not the fault of the MCU but the fault of attendees (or none attendees in this case).

If the Resident Evil and Underworld movies were well made and made bank at the box office, of course the studios would pump out more movies and try and create universes around them. They did well enough though based on their budgets, which is why multiple sequels were greenlit.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The only Phase V shit I care about is Blade and Guardians of the Galaxy volume 3.

But is Blade going to be a movie or a streaming series?

I really hope it's going to be a movie so it'll have the quality of such but it more or less looks like it's going to be a series.

Did they ever say?

Where's our resident Marvel fanboys like sol_bad sol_bad and ManaByte ManaByte to answer those questions?

Edit: Agatha might actually be good. I like all the magic using stuff and I imagine cameos from Doctor Strange will show up plus I love the name Coven of Chaos. Plus, maybe Mephisto hint or two?

Last edited:

sol_bad

The only Phase V shit I care about is Blade and Guardians of the Galaxy volume 3.

But is Blade going to be a movie or a streaming series?

I really hope it's going to be a movie so it'll have the quality of such but it more or less looks like it's going to be a series.

Did they ever say?

Where's our resident Marvel fanboys like sol_bad sol_bad and ManaByte ManaByte to answer those questions?

Edit: Agatha might actually be good. I like all the magic using stuff and I imagine cameos from Doctor Strange will show up plus I love the name Coven of Chaos. Plus, maybe Mephisto hint or two?

It's definitely a movie, just keep in mind it might be very different to the older Blade films, who even knows if he'll be a martial arts expert in this. I'm expecting it to be a team up film with Black Knight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom