• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
55 official characters / classes, of which we know 53. crazy

not even counting heroes they pretty much confirmed but arent official like Beast, Magik or Elektra.

really curious what they do with the less obvious heroes like Black Cat, Winter Soldier or She Hulk. If this was vanilla MH I would be worried, but in a post-reviews world not so much, they are clearly at the very least trying to make each character unique these days, so I have faith they will make Black Cat interesting, or War Machine / She Hulk feel different from Iron Man / Hulk

GManDH

each hero will be different. the style might be similar but the rotation or other parts will make it unique. as someone who likes variety this game is perfect for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
each hero will be different. the style might be similar but the rotation or other parts will make it unique. as someone who likes variety this game is perfect for me.

like I said, if this was vanilla I would be worried, but not these days. Im just glad this is finally official, soon enough when venom is out we can start worrying about when Iceman is on TC for january :)

also, I need my Age of Apocalypse mouthless Iceman so bad

97175-97475-iceman.jpg

Sure, just tell me how to do that and we can trade.

Who are you in-game? I'm headed to bed for now, but basically you just slap a Hela on any crappy, unbound artifact you have. I'll trade you the Hand of Nimrod for that. Tomorrow night, maybe? I have to go to bed since I have an early day at work.

Rhaknar

They talked about Electro and Pyro almost making the list, so again I ask (like with MODOK) when were they any sort of heroes?

Lord Phol

Just for the record, here's the characters that are (apparently) very high on the list:
Ant-Man (is like almost a lock for the AP2, but they're still figuring out tech)
Nick Fury
Havok
Dazzler
Mystique
Black Bolt
(Arch)Angel
MODOK
Elektra
Jubilee
Wasp

It's very likely that the remaining 2 heroes are going to be one out of those, with Ant-Man being almost certain to take one spot.

Magik, Beast and Domino weren't considered because they might end up being 200ES tier heroes instead.

There's also some additional heroes that are ranked fairly highly, such as Captain Britain, Gladiator, Pyro, Electro, Falcon, and Spider-Woman.

The two remaining pack heroes will probably be Ant-Man and Black-Bolt, or Ant-Man and Nick Fury. As much as I would want Havok I don't see them picking him before most others in that list. Black-Bolt I could get behind though so that would at least make the secret heroes better than the last pack. Rogue and Reed were the two rumored heroes I wanted the least, and they both ended up being the secret ones :p.

They talked about Electro and Pyro almost making the list, so again I ask (like with MODOK) when were they any sort of heroes?

Pyro was a member of the Freedom Force, and he had reformed by the end of his arc with the Legacy Virus, saving good ol' Senator Kelly (remember him?) before he died of said Legacy Virus. He's never been outright evil, either - despite their original name, the Brotherhood never was specifically evil, fighting for receiving basic human rights.

Electro never was really good, though. Dunno what the idea behind considering him is. Maybe they just think a goon like him would be more likely to join, and thought a different approach to electricity powers aside from Storm would be interesting?

Volimar

At this point they're just grasping at "remember that one time that one villain worked with that one hero to stop that other villain?" Well, that means he's a hero.

Also, multiverse.

But all of the villain choices so far have been good for either an extended period of time and/or multiple times.

Black Cat has been (usually) good for like, decades now. Dr. Doom has been a member of the Future Foundation and often worked with the good guys if it served his purpose. Loki has been a hero for a while now. Taskmaster has worked for SHIELD on multiple occasions. Magneto and Mystique have had more memberships to X-teams than most outright X-Men heroes. Juggernaut has been a hero in the UK. And Brock Venom has been an anti-hero. Elektra is like a bouncy ball between good and evil. Sandman (who was also mentioned in the Q&A thread as being talked about as potential hero) was an Avenger. And I already explained MODOK and Pyro.
And honestly, a buttload of villains who've appeared somewhat regularly, especially those that are older than 90s and beyond, have been a hero at some point, but Electro was not one of them (at least as far as my knowledge goes).

I guess they just are considering him because he's a well-known Spider-Man baddie and has an interesting powerset.

Lord Phol

Yesterday I was kind of unexcited about the Advance Pack but the more I look at it in the store the more it grows on me. Was the same thing with the last pack, but in the end I caved in and bought it (though to be fair it was a way better deal). Just wished there were some better extras in this particular pack, I'm torn.:x.

inky

The two remaining pack heroes will probably be Ant-Man and Black-Bolt, or Ant-Man and Nick Fury. As much as I would want Havok I don't see them picking him before most others in that list. Black-Bolt I could get behind though so that would at least make the secret heroes better than the last pack. Rogue and Reed were the two rumored heroes I wanted the least, and they both ended up being the secret ones :p.

Ugh, don't even say that. Ant Man and Black Bolt I legit want.

Well, got Cyclops to 60. Curious who else is considered worse to play after Cyclops and Hawkeye since I have them both at 60 now. Guess I could always do Punisher if I want to really hate myself?

I started Human Torch and have him around 15 but I might hop around a little to check out a few heroes before setting in. Definitely need someone more interesting and fun after Cyclops. Human Torch seems fairly decent but still not fully settled.

Oh, and I got another dupe with the random box. So now I can level Hulk's ultimate up to 2. Yay.

FeD.nL

Yesterday I was kind of unexcited about the Advance Pack but the more I look at it in the store the more it grows on me. Was the same thing with the last pack, but in the end I caved in and bought it (though to be fair it was a way better deal). Just wished there were some better extras in this particular pack, I'm torn.:x.

I'm also still on the fence. Currently i'm gravitating more to the option to just pre-order Winter Soldier and Iceman since they are coming early next year and than when Age of Ultron comes out Gaz will probably put up a 'bring on the bad guys'-esque pack. By that time We'll probably know the unannounced heroes and there is more information available as to how the heroes will play.

Lord Phol

Ugh, don't even say that. Ant Man and Black Bolt I legit want.

Well you could just get their pre-order packs or buy them with splinters whenever they are released, so at least you can forget all about the advance pack unlike me :p.

I'm also still on the fence. Currently i'm gravitating more to the option to just pre-order Winter Soldier and Iceman since they are coming early next year and than when Age of Ultron comes out Gaz will probably put up a 'bring on the bad guys'-esque pack. By that time We'll probably know the unannounced heroes and there is more information available as to how the heroes will play.

Yeah getting the invidual pack or just using splinters/Gs for the heroes you want is probably the better option if you are only getting a few of them :x. It's just really nice to have it all paid and ready for deliver, knowing you're not missing out on anything :p. I'm also a sucker for "sales" and this is a potential money-saver but it's hard to tell not knowing which heroes I will enjoy..

Lord Phol

I have no problem with playable villains, Marvel Heroes isn't really an immersive experience for me so it doesn't bother me seeing carnage or whatever fighting with spiderman against doom.

Indignate

Personally, I dont like the idea of fighting one villain whilst having his doppelganger fighting beside me.

But then wouldn't you have similar issues with fighting a villain while two more of you are fighting beside you?

This game has never been about not breaking immersion.

Geez.

Just put some time into this tonight. Can't believe how confusing Rogue is; Seems to be incredibly slow, no damage and ridiculously squishy. Guess it's all about absorbing the right powers, but it's a hell of a lot of trial and error.

How can you use those Friends powers? Do you have to find another player wandering around with the character/power you want and absorb it from them? Or can you do it easily in the hub or with your own roster? Do I need someone to just stand there and switch characters so I can absorb?

So many questions.. Feel like they could have done a Tutorial for her or something.

But then wouldn't you have similar issues with fighting a villain while two more of you are fighting beside you?

This game has never been about not breaking immersion.

Yeah, thats Im saying. Watching one character fighting himself does bother me a bit.
I also get annoyed when Im fighting a boss in Midtown and I see another player wearing the same (non-default) outfit as me. It does pull me out of the game somewhat.
I admit I am pickier than most people when it comes to visual stuff though :)

Volimar

^MULTIVERSE!

Geez.

Just put some time into this tonight. Can't believe how confusing Rogue is; Seems to be incredibly slow, no damage and ridiculously squishy. Guess it's all about absorbing the right powers, but it's a hell of a lot of trial and error.

How can you use those Friends powers? Do you have to find another player wandering around with the character/power you want and absorb it from them? Or can you do it easily in the hub or with your own roster? Do I need someone to just stand there and switch characters so I can absorb?

So many questions.. Feel like they could have done a Tutorial for her or something.

Yeah, you can absorb powers in hubs. There are a couple of different builds out there. I like to use energy/mental powers. Once you get powers you're happy with, Rogue is a lot of fun.

FeD.nL

Well you could just get their pre-order packs or buy them with splinters whenever they are released, so at least you can forget all about the advance pack unlike me :p.

Yeah getting the invidual pack or just using splinters/Gs for the heroes you want is probably the better option if you are only getting a few of them :x. It's just really nice to have it all paid and ready for deliver, knowing you're not missing out on anything :p. I'm also a sucker for "sales" and this is a potential money-saver but it's hard to tell not knowing which heroes I will enjoy..

Bought the deluxe pack. I was in need of a break from Rogue so I thought to try and gear Wolverine and just immediately had fun. Most of the heroes just have such a great design and the new ones probably will too. And then again I was willing to shell out 120 euros for the Destiny limited edition (which I did not get) why not spend that money on a game I know I love.

Now bring on X-23 :D

I rather they stuck to heroes and only a handful of anti heroes at best, but they have pretty much already hit all the big hitters when it comes to Marvel characters the casual public knows, now they are stuck pumping out lesser popular heroes which are not going to be big of draws. So them focusing on popular playable villains is obviously to keep people buying in.

inky

I generally don't mind playable villains, but it sucks when characters like Juggs get a spot before ones like Iceman or Iron fist.

Heck, others like Magik or Wasp are still not even on the radar, just as lame team ups. MODOK might work as a joke and I might even enjoy it, but it sounds like a waste of time when the release pipeline is so tight and we only get about a dozen a year.

To be fair, Marvel is pushing certain characters, so with making playable villains, Gaz opened a whole different can of worms. That's why we got Loki and Taskmaster, after all - Loki was being heavily pushed everywhere due to the success of Hiddleston's portrayal in Thor. He was being simultaneously released in several on-going Marvel games as a playable character as well, and all of course in the movie duds lol. And Taskmaster has been pushed a lot by Marvel into games - he's been playable in every single multi-character Marvel game since 2011 (i.e. MvC3).
MODOK is another one of those characters Marvel loves to push.

Also, in regards to inky's statement about Juggernaut - he's quite possibly one of the top 10 or so popular villains in all of Marvel. He was definitely gonna be one of the first picks.

Lord Phol

Bought the deluxe pack. I was in need of a break from Rogue so I thought to try and gear Wolverine and just immediately had fun. Most of the heroes just have such a great design and the new ones probably will too. And then again I was willing to shell out 120 euros for the Destiny limited edition (which I did not get) why not spend that money on a game I know I love.

Now bring on X-23 :D

Ah grats! :D
Still undecided but I will most likely cave in soonish :p. You are definetly right that the newer heroes just keep getting better and better. Doomsaw also mentioend that guys like Winter Soldier and War Machine will have unique mehanics that sets them apart from similar heroes in the comics. So even heroes/villains you might not like in the comics could end up fun/interesting in the game.

Still undecided but I will most likely cave in soonish :p. You are definetly right that the newer heroes just keep getting better and better. Doomsaw also mentioend that guys like Winter Soldier and War Machine will have unique mehanics that sets them apart from similar heroes in the comics. So even heroes/villains you might not like in the comics could end up fun/interesting in the game.

I agree. I have 0 interest in Cable or Psylocke outside of the game, but in the game they're pretty damn fun. Gambit apparently too now, I only played him around release time, lol.

GManDH

i am probably going to buy the pack on the very last day, maybe even the very last hour. no point in buying it now.

LuuKyK

From those characters I think I am only interested in Iceman, Kitty Pride and Black Cat. lol

2015 is going to be looong year.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Anyone who isn't interested in Doom is wrong about everything forever and should be cast into the abyss until the end of days.

FeD.nL

Thank! :D

Yep, it's insane how many characters I love to play right now but don't really care for in the comics. One thing I just realized is my Rogue is probably going to be entirely different six months from now, god I love this game.

Rhaknar

Why are playable villains such a big problem again?

they are not, its great. I was just wondering because they said they had a "they had to have been heroes at one point" to make it, and I was wondering when some of the had been heroes.

And Red, you mention Juggs being a hero in UK... err what about when he was, you know, an X-Man? :p

234290-3092-112326-2-the-uncanny-x-men.jpg

That cover made me think - they should work on putting in a speedster, Northstar or Quicksilver. Northstar's possibly more interesting in terms of power trees because he also had light powers.

It would presumably need some alternative tech.

Drayco21

I really just don't like playable villains. I'd rather have C and D list heroes over A list villains. I'm cool with it if they had a notable stint as a hero, but guys like Electro and Carnage are too far for me personally. We'll never get to Kaine if they start giving his roster spot away to the bad guys.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really just don't like playable villains. I'd rather have C and D list heroes over A list villains. I'm cool with it if they had a notable stint as a hero, but guys like Electro and Carnage are too far for me personally. We'll never get to Kaine if they start giving his roster spot away to the bad guys.

They are only doing playable villains that have had at least anti-hero stints. Dudes like Carnage will never be playable.

Rhaknar

Kaine has no roster spot. Thats like wishing for...Skin from Generation X. It will never happen, playable villains wont change that

Unless, of course, Kaine all of a sudden has a major comic push or something (like Black Cat is getting)

And Red, you mention Juggs being a hero in UK... err what about when he was, you know, an X-Man? :p

It's impossible to keep up with those 100000000000000000000000000 X-related characters and the 100000000000000000000 teams they've been part of.

That cover made me think - they should work on putting in a speedster, Northstar or Quicksilver. Northstar's possibly more interesting in terms of power trees because he also had light powers.

It would presumably need some alternative tech.

Actually, Doomsaw mentioned in the Advance Pack Q&A that it's not that they can't make tech for a speedster, but that in order to portray him properly, they'd have to have the character run so fast that the asset loading can't keep up. He mentioned that "once internet connections and GPU can handle it", they would do Quicksilver.

I am Aphiel in-game. I am from Europe so I do hope we can get a right time for both of us.

I'll be on later this evening my time, but I'm seven hours behind the UK. This game needs a mailbox option to send stuff to people! I'll check and see if you are online.

Raids tonight? Kepow isn't available, so I'm predicted the smoothest run to date. I'm ~10 eyes away from my fourth level 66 upgrade, so I need to get my grind on.

-----

Regarding the Punisher: Frank was my first level 60 in game and is tied as my favorite Marvel character. Ennis Punisher Max is my catnip. But I'm not blinded by my love for the character. Frank is not in a great place in game. He is quite survivable and very easy to level, but his mechanics are insanely boring (pick one basic, one grenade, one AOE, and passives). His damage is Invisible Woman tier, aka garbage. His skills are janky. Gaz took all of his abilities and gave Star-Lord an improved version of them, right down to his Deadly Barrage. I can't recommend him in his current state. Sorry, Frank!

He's so unpopular in game, that Gaz has little incentive to push his review. He'll be dead last in the review realm, I'm positive. He's so unpopular that in my dozens of raids, I've seen him one time. It didn't help that the person playing him was a complete douchebag who was yelling at everyone in the raid, bitching the whole time, and screaming that we should wipe on two consecutive bosses that we one-shot. If the character you choose to play in game is pure shit and contributing little to nothing to the team's success, don't come with a garbage attitude and scream at people. If we weren't in mid-fight on Surtur when he went on his spree, I would've kicked his ass to the curb.

On that note: life is too short to put up with people's attitudes in game, especially when we're pugging in 2-3 people per run. Nobody's in game performance warrants them to cope a diva attitude. Yes, I'm glad that you've chosen to main Overpowered Hero A. Yes, you pull more than your fair share of weight in a raid. No, we won't put up with your attitude. Last week, a Deadpool player started getting wordy with me in whisper about why we were taking so long to start. We had one of our members pop on and ask for a spot. I kicked Deadpool to the curb without so much as a response. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Luckily, we're mostly easy going folks in our group. I even like Kepow!

Top Bottom