• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would have to go over Adam's house to play it.

Steam gives me two version of Marvel Heroes,

Marvel Heroes 2015 and 32-bit. is the first one 64-bit??

That's what I thought but if it is I don't see any difference

I haven't had time to try Hulk since his new change. It's no good??

It's great from a damage perspective, but he requires so many skills for his optimal rotation that nearly the entire community has chosen to ignore one or two powers in favor of something much more manageable. Gaz just decided to make a bunch of powers necessary for no other reason than to have a lot of buttons to press.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
WS needs to come out already so I can have mah Bobby spoilers

Ploid 3.0

It's great from a damage perspective, but he requires so many skills for his optimal rotation that nearly the entire community has chosen to ignore one or two powers in favor of something much more manageable. Gaz just decided to make a bunch of powers necessary for no other reason than to have a lot of buttons to press.

Hulk? I thought he was very awesome. The build I'm using doesn't really use too many extra abilities (one bar + 3). He never felt like he needed more abilities, everything works together and I didn't feel like I was starved for points. He doesn't seem anything like Dr. Strange.

I'll look up what people use and see what the build is that use the optimal rotation with more abilities. If the new Cap is better than the new Hulk, my goodness.

Hulk? I thought he was very awesome. The build I'm using doesn't really use too many extra abilities (one bar + 3). He never felt like he needed more abilities, everything works together and I didn't feel like I was starved for points. He doesn't seem anything like Dr. Strange.

I'll look up what people use and see what the build is that use the optimal rotation with more abilities. If the new Cap is better than the new Hulk, my goodness.

Not playing him like Dr. Strange is not playing him at his best. And him needing more than one bar is exactly the problem, and why I find the new Cap to be what I wanted out of Hulk. You're getting the same output (more or less), but with a concise set of powers.

WS needs to come out already so I can have mah Bobby spoilers

tumblr_m1nnayzvXG1rody9mo1_400.gif

Rhaknar

Hmm let's see

Avalanche leap, stomp, headbutt, roar, knuckledusters, sig, punches I forget the name as filler, meteor to reset sig/knuckles

It's not that much IMO, but I'm sure I'm doing it wrong.

Edit: WS is a weak start (for me) but the next 4 are probably the 4 I want the most from the pack (besides kitty) so I'm OK with WS to start off the year

That being said, I've been surprised before so maybe I end up liking him

KePoW

Banned

ah ok thx, I haven't read anything yet. yeah I definitely do not like classes that require too many active buttons, it's just no fun

For Hulk you only need like one extra move weaved into the rotation, and you could make it one of the long cooldowns. A lot of people put his roar on the second bar since you can just use it at the beginning of a fight to build up his anger.

I had his knuckledusters on the second bar originally since it's a 40 second cooldown. But I'd imagine Meteor Strike works well since it's a full minute CD. I also have Mr. Fantastic's CD-clearing move on the second bar, so mentally that would work well in my head.

Anyway, it's a FAR cry from being as involved as Doctor Strange, where the cooldowns are short and constantly refreshing. There's always that .ini edit that allows for the extra key presses as well.

Hulk's in a great place. Probably too great since Brevik intimated that he was seeing "too many" Hulks while playing Saturday.

Edit: If you're only farming cosmic terminals with Hulk and not raiding, you can remove the Headbutt since that's his better sustained dps ability and just destroy bosses with your cooldown abilities. Then you'd only have a single bar rotation. A well-geared Hulk needs 0 sustain in a terminal.

Sblargh

Banned
There really is a lot of hulks everywhere. I think the only other time I seen this was when Silver Surfer was released, but then, that died down after a few days. Seeing a lot of hulks has been constant.

I think they found a mix of very popular character, very fun gameplay, and OPness.

There really is a lot of hulks everywhere. I think the only other time I seen this was when Silver Surfer was released, but then, that died down after a few days. Seeing a lot of hulks has been constant.

I think they found a mix of very popular character, very fun gameplay, and OPness.

Lets wait and see what happens when Winter Soldier is released. I have a feeling Hulk will died down to Juggernaut / Venom levels when that happens. I love Hulk, he is the first character I've prestiged. However I'm reaching my fill of him as well. Lets not go nerfing something just because its popular at the moment.

Sblargh

Banned
I think Gaz strategy is to power surge everyone until who knows when. :p

5 years from now, people will solo the green raid with a naked thing.

What I mean is that I believe that their current philosophy regarding OP characters is to slowly buff everyone else in an endless cycle.

Lets wait and see what happens when Winter Soldier is released. I have a feeling Hulk will died down to Juggernaut / Venom levels when that happens. I love Hulk, he is the first character I've prestiged. However I'm reaching my fill of him as well. Lets not go nerfing something just because its popular at the moment.

It's been said that Hulk is the standard and that they have no intention of nerfing him. They could change ofc though.

Also, based on his current test centre build, Winter Soldier will not bwe Venom/Juggs levels of popular.

Gothos

Yea, I was slighlty hyped for WS and then I tried him out on the Test Center, hehe. He's not fully ranged, he's not fully melee - he just feels... weird. Plus, I don't like his signature :)

Dec

I think Gaz strategy is to power surge everyone until who knows when. :p

5 years from now, people will solo the green raid with a naked thing.

What I mean is that I believe that their current philosophy regarding OP characters is to slowly buff everyone else in an endless cycle.

Referred to as power creep.

I think they always planned for something like that to happen. They said they weren't planning on increasing the level cap, instead increasing the omega cap to get the same effect without players having to re-gear.

As long as there is content added that will always challenge players, it's fine.

Something like Danger Room where the higher floor = higher loot brings purpose to minmaxing and higher difficulty resulting in more strategic gameplay more than what the game has currently if it is implemented properly.

Edit: by implemented properly I mean not like xdef where the rewards drop off completely after wave 21 or something which isn't hard to reach at all.

Glad to hear Cap is fixed. Any specific details, Frost? I'd like to avoid downloading the TC again or visiting the forums.

His shouts have been condensed into his passives.

His sig is improved, has a dmg portion plus reduced cooldown.

Has a cd reduction mechanic.

Damage and health/health regen have been bumped up a bit.

Also now has a travel power, basically a sprint.

Dec

Interesting; sounds basic initially but is consistent with Cap's powers.

It's pretty shallow. They basically put all of his cooldown powers at 8s and a pip of his cooldown reduction secondary resource reduces the cooldowns by 4 seconds. This is effectively a nerf for his execute because it had a 4 second cooldown that was reduced by 1 second every time you blocked, but it should have higher damage to make up for it.

You gain pips by blocking, and using certain abilities.

You never run out of pips even without trying to specifically generate them though, so the resource never needs to be managed or ever considered and may as well not exist.

He also got a 20% damage reduction passive.

A full rework of uniques is coming.

His old Airborne Assault animation before they moved to the current one has been repurposed and added to his signature along with a much reduced cooldown. It is essentially Airborne Assault latched onto his old sig with a reduced cooldown.

Interesting; sounds basic initially but is consistent with Cap's powers.

We've had good times, Juggernaut, but there's only one Steve Rogers.

Thanks for posting these; I'm hyped. I hope his bar isn't overly full though- I don't like to do too much hotbar swapping, and this was a problem with his 52 review.

You can easily spec him to only fill one hotbar. Since he no longer has any shouts or auras my personal build for him only used 1 hotbar.

His travel power, I believe, needs spirit to use unlike Juggs. A lot of people are unhappy about this and are trying to petition Gaz to remove all costs related to travel powers (like flight, web swing etc).

Moondrop

Banned
This is effectively a nerf for his execute because it had a 4 second cooldown that was reduced by 1 second every time you blocked, but it should have higher damage to make up for it.
Yeah, but my biggest problem with the 52 review was the overly complicated rotation- in particular around Execute- so shallow could work for me.

You never run out of pips even without trying to specifically generate them though, so the resource never needs to be managed or ever considered and may as well not exist.
Hopefully this is just a TC issue; Magneto's secondary resource was completely unbalanced in the first TC iteration but then corrected.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

That's pretty much the way a lot of secondary resources in this game work. They always try to make them meaningful, and everyone hates it, and Gaz just throw their hands up and go "FINE". Look at Odinforce, lol. Totally meaningless. Anger on Hulk matters for about 2 seconds at the start of every fight.

Momentum is kind of the only secondary resource I can think of off-hand that works well that isn't basically just a slightly different version of Spirit (like Suit Power or Fury).

Dec

That's pretty much the way a lot of secondary resources in this game work. They always try to make them meaningful, and everyone hates it, and Gaz just throw their hands up and go "FINE". Look at Odinforce, lol. Totally meaningless. Anger on Hulk matters for about 2 seconds at the start of every fight.

Momentum is kind of the only secondary resource I can think of off-hand that works well that isn't basically just a slightly different version of Spirit (like Suit Power or Fury).

True but in this case they didn't attempt anything unique, just went to the boring version immediately.

We knew Cap's update wasn't a review, so it isn't super surprising but they absolutely have cut corners updating him. Most of his animations are old ones they scrapped brought back.

That doesn't mean he wont be good, and fun to play because I think he is fun already, but he is absolutely being given much less priority compared to everything else in the patch and I do think he should have had more work done.

Moondrop

Banned
You can easily spec him to only fill one hotbar. Since he no longer has any shouts or auras my personal build for him only used 1 hotbar.

His travel power, I believe, needs spirit to use unlike Juggs. A lot of people are unhappy about this and are trying to petition Gaz to remove all costs related to travel powers (like flight, web swing etc).
Cheers for single hotbar, jeers for spirit travel costs. Perhaps there should be some kind of penalty, but Cap shouldn't merely drain his spirit pool from running. I mean...

The-Winter-Soldier-jogging-scene.jpg

Cheers for single hotbar, jeers for spirit travel costs. Perhaps there should be some kind of penalty, but Cap shouldn't merely drain his spirit pool from running. I mean...

Oh you're right. As I said people on the main forums are asking that all non-damaging travel powers cost zero spirit.

Due to the high amount of these requests I can certainly see Gaz making some statement on this if not just out right removing the costs.

Btw Winter Soldier has a similar sprint/travel power that also costs spirit to use.

Ploid 3.0

Referred to as power creep.

I think they always planned for something like that to happen. They said they weren't planning on increasing the level cap, instead increasing the omega cap to get the same effect without players having to re-gear.

As long as there is content added that will always challenge players, it's fine.

Something like Danger Room where the higher floor = higher loot brings purpose to minmaxing and higher difficulty resulting in more strategic gameplay more than what the game has currently if it is implemented properly.

Edit: by implemented properly I mean not like xdef where the rewards drop off completely after wave 21 or something which isn't hard to reach at all.

On Brevick's Wife stream recently he talked about power creep with MH quite extensively. He said there's no way anyone can really avoid power creep in a constantly updated game, there are no perfect balances. I wonder if TheJungleQueen archives videos.

Ploid 3.0

Ooh nice thanks.

The power creep is the next question after this time stamp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RAYyl7Ht_0#t=8310

If time stamp link didn't work it's at 2:18:30

Would it not be better to address your power creep in the game and create some kind of lasting balance rather than to do QOL's for every character on a constant loop?

Brevik: Power creep doesn't have to do just with, uh, new heroes. Has to do with Omega, has to do with new items, upgrading items, raids, new content, and some of the allure of going to these new places and doing new things, is the excitement of getting new stuff. And it's really exciting when the new stuff is better than the old stuff...

There is no such thing as perfect balance...

Everybody feels smart when they feel like they have the broken build that they are getting away with. It's fun to feel overpowered.

(it continues, a long talk)

Mr.B is going to regret his wife's stream.

davidtwerk.gif

Yeah, Cap's new secondary resource is pretty pointless. No management needed, no choices provided. That being said, his play style is ultimately what I'm looking at and I find it much more fun than his current setup. Best of all, you don't even need a DoT on him! You can brutal farm for quick TTKs though so expect the same level of Hulk TTK power creep complaints.

His sprint and heavy AoE damage make him an excellent terminal runner. You'll constantly be saying "on your left" to the boss you're farming.

Ploid 3.0

Every time I start the game on steam it install VC...something-something. It only lasts 2 seconds, but kinda annoying.

I visit the reddit of this game a lot and I'm not sure if it's ok to link reddit on gaf but this question was asked there and fixed by deleting a file.

http://www.reddit.com/r/marvelheroe...rosoft_vc_redist_performing_first_time_setup/

A Gazillion guy also pops in but he had no immediate fix, he just said he will talk to devs.

The file to delete was here. I did this and it no longer pops up anymore.

I had the exact same issue - remove/rename the file below:
<your steam dir>\SteamApps\common\Marvel Heroes\226320_install_windows.vdf

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
dont mind him, his love for X-23 extends to his schtick on the forum, he pretends he's a emo wolverine clone here too

lmao. REKT.

That youtube talk about power creep was good. First time I've really watched Brevik and his wife, what a cool couple.

Sblargh

Banned
I won't delete my install file. Next thing you people will say is that I have to delete system32.

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, well, you can't fool me twice.
-

Brevik's talk about power creep is really good and completely reasonable, too. But even if we can understand that devs aren't omnipotent, it sill sucks when a character you like start to fall and fall down the ladder.

First time I did the green raid it was with captain america and people would ask me to change to a better character and I would go "Captain America is my better character" and so we would win and they would say they carried me, but totes not, Captain America rulz.

Now everyone will play Captain America and I will go into hipster mode and say I used to love to play Captain America before all of you poseur fuckers.

Gothos

Now everyone will play Captain America and I will go into hipster mode and say I used to love to play Captain America before all of you poseur fuckers.

:D

In other news, I was almost at 1000 splinters and with no new interesting heroes in sight I bought mysefl a Silver Surfer. Level 16 so far and he's really fun - reminds me a bit of Juggernaut because of the movement style gameplay. Having really good time with him.

Dec

In his current form Cap is a waste of my items. If I start playing him next patch I will have no shame at all, I don't even like the character, just as I don't like Thor.

Here's my cap:

iYYU3z0zaqf8a.png

Result: still bad

The only rewards that matter are skill points.

I'd argue the additional spirit is also worth investing time in.

Awesome, after I've finished it once with a character, is there any point in doing it with new ones?

Do I still get rewards?

You get the story rewards once per difficulty for every character, so thrice per hero.
Gazillion has said they're going to look into optimizing that though, so there's that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'd argue the additional spirit is also worth investing time in.

You get the story rewards once per difficulty for every character, so thrice per hero.
Gazillion has said they're going to look into optimizing that though, so there's that.

What are the story rewards? Is there a list for each difficulty?

Top Bottom