• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

How is Strange to use? Easy or hard to learn?

Been a while since I've used him, but he is one of those that requires a little bit more management than most. Additionally, for full benefit builds you need to be utilising two toolbars (or extra key bindings) which personally, I find really hard to keep up for max benefit (and usually end up mashing after a while lol).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Been a while since I've used him, but he is one of those that requires a little bit more management than most. Additionally, for full benefit builds you need to be utilising two toolbars (or extra key bindings) which personally, I find really hard to keep up for max benefit (and usually end up mashing after a while lol).

I'd probably mash too haha

I'm torn between buying Hulk or Venom to take advantage of the BOGO offer

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Zachary-Quinto-Confused-Look.gif

Aren't you the guy who likes flashy characters?

I know right :/

I'd probably mash too haha

I'm torn between buying Hulk or Venom to take advantage of the BOGO offer

I'm currently maining Hulk and Venom (after previously maining Psylocke).

Can't even begin to recommend one over the other. Both ridiculously awesome for different reasons.

Do we know when the BOGO offer ends in store?

EDIT: Damn. I want both those and Spidey.

Buy both and save up for Spidey with splinters. Right now there's no real need to rush to play Spidey (or Deadpool). They'll both have to be buffed in the coming months to catch up to the upper tier of heroes, so in the meantime take advantage of the strong guys and let the splinters pile up.

How is Strange to use? Easy or hard to learn?

Quite hard to learn, in my opinion. He's got a LOT of options, and he's one of the few characters whose build can easily make or break him. He's also pretty rotation-dependent with his incantation system, so you have to have a sense for knowing which ability to use when etc.

But he looks extremely flashy, is super fun to play regardless of the learning curve, and easily one of the best characters in the game, and one of the few who have proper support abilities.

Dec

eh I'll be an odd one out apparently and say a huge amount of the depth Strange is credited with is superficial.

In a game full of uninteresting rotations he has one slightly more involved but none of his abilities are fun to use, unless you just clap your hands when big particle effects appear.

I find his abilities fun to use and don't clap over particles. Fun is, you know, pretty subjective, so you don't have to be so condescending.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I find his abilities fun to use and don't clap over particles. Fun is, you know, pretty subjective, so you don't have to be so condescending.

He's Canadian, he can't not be condescending

Also, I know that clap at effects jab was at me, so fuck you Dec :p

Dec

What ability is fun to use?

His ult... do more damage on your normal abilities!

His sig... an eyeball appears and plinks away at things randomly with the player having no control!

That leaves his core kit in terms of being interesting and I don't see it. Which of his incantations are fun in a mechanical way?

Edit: I'm also not saying that finding Dr. Strange fun is incorrect. There are abilities in this game that you use and feel great, they are responsive and impactful when you use them and you look forward to it. All I said is that his depth is overstated, not that he isn't fun even if I don't personally play him.

What ability is fun to use?

His ult... do more damage on your normal abilities!

His sig... an eyeball appears and plinks away at things randomly with the player having no control!

That leaves his core kit in terms of being interesting and I don't see it. Which of his incantations are fun in a mechanical way?

Edit: I'm also not saying that finding Dr. Strange fun is incorrect. There are abilities in this game that you use and feel great, they are responsive and impactful when you use them and you look forward to it. All I said is that his depth is overstated, not that he isn't fun even if I don't personally play him.

Depth is the wrong word to be using regarding Strange (or any character in this game to be honest, as everyone is purely rotational). I don't think anyone specifically stated that. Involved is the best word to describe him. He's on the complete opposite side of the spectrum from characters like Spidey, Deadpool, or Hawkeye where you find yourself just holding a single attack button down for extended periods of time. And they have lackluster visuals to boot on top of that.

As far as fun, I think that comes in with Strange in that you can so quickly litter the screen with spells. He has much more moment to moment gameplay than anyone else in the cast, keeping you active. So it's more as a whole that his kit makes him fun as opposed to any single super cool power. And I think the Eye has some pretty satisfying powerful blast attacks.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quite hard to learn, in my opinion. He's got a LOT of options, and he's one of the few characters whose build can easily make or break him. He's also pretty rotation-dependent with his incantation system, so you have to have a sense for knowing which ability to use when etc.

But he looks extremely flashy, is super fun to play regardless of the learning curve, and easily one of the best characters in the game, and one of the few who have proper support abilities.

Love Strange, he is my main, but he is hard to use.

Might use him when I'm more experienced with the game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I like Strange a lot, but I've found that I generally prefer to play sturdier characters that can be in melee range without dying quickly.

Gothos

My hate for Omega levels in steadly increasing. Farming them is so god damn boring and at the same time they are ridiculously overpowered so you basically have to farm them *sigh*

Depth is the wrong word to be using regarding Strange (or any character in this game to be honest, as everyone is purely rotational). I don't think anyone specifically stated that. Involved is the best word to describe him. He's on the complete opposite side of the spectrum from characters like Spidey, Deadpool, or Hawkeye where you find yourself just holding a single attack button down for extended periods of time. And they have lackluster visuals to boot on top of that.

As far as fun, I think that comes in with Strange in that you can so quickly litter the screen with spells. He has much more moment to moment gameplay than anyone else in the cast, keeping you active. So it's more as a whole that his kit makes him fun as opposed to any single super cool power. And I think the Eye has some pretty satisfying powerful blast attacks.

This, in essence.
Plus, some of his spells work really well together, e.g. Flames of the Faltine -> Crimson Bands. To me it's incredibly fun to pull in a pile of trash mobs with Flames and then hold them there with Bands, it's very satisfying. :V

inky

This, in essence.
Plus, some of his spells work really well together, e.g. Flames of the Faltine -> Crimson Bands. To me it's incredibly fun to pull in a pile of trash mobs with Flames and then hold them there with Bands, it's very satisfying. :V

And when you are done pulling that stuff, you can reset his cooldowns and do it all again. Fun never stops!

Dec

I don't understand why people hold him above other characters, though.

I absolutely understand why people find him fun.

Lets say there are 5 tiers of abilities in terms of being fun to use.

Passives - Needed and useful but unless they have an active component, not engaging to the player

Spenders - Three Round Burst, as you pointed out. This is when a characters rotation is 75% punching a guy in the face harder than usual.

Layers - Aoes you lay down under your other abilities to layer damage, bringing your sustain up. You put a damage over time down and forget about it.

4+ second cooldown powers - some satisfaction in using them, big numbers if properly geared. Spinning Strike, Assassinate, many executes etc.

Signatures and ultimates - long cooldown but powerful on many heroes, in many cases fun to use.

Coupe De Grace

Strange, to me is a character that has nothing but Layer powers. They are boring DOTs that he reapplies endlessly. His fun comes from being unique in that he doesn't stand there using a spender for 4 seconds at a time, there is a more active gameplay component.

Him being different like that, I get the appeal. My point is that his abilities themselves are just boring as fuck. You put down a huge devastating blue tornado and... it's another damage over time.

I hope people can understand why he isn't an objectively better made character than others, when some of us want a play style with powers from all of the tiers I listed.

I hope people can understand why he isn't an objectively better made character than others, when some of us want a play style with powers from all of the tiers I listed.

Oh yeah, for sure. Different people are going to like different things and they will put their emphasis on those traits. But the nature of Strange's playstyle is something that, once it clicks with people, has very wide appeal. And most of the time when people say "best", they actually just mean "what I like(d) most".

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Patch probably tomorrow, right?
-

Yeah, but I am skeptical Winter Soldier will be in it. They are still iterating pretty heavily based on feedback and he still isn't in a totally cohesive place. Stealth still doesn't really feel mechanically strong/deep enough in MH for it be a significant kit aspect.

That being said, I did mess around with a stealth-less melee build last night (as well as skorpion from firarms tree) and it was fun.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think Strange isn't that well-designed because there is no way you can make a good build for him without at least 3 extra buttons. This is a complaint about the game in general. They only have 8 spaces on the powers bar but very few heroes are actually designed around this limitation. I know there are hotkeys and workarounds but it's clumsy. I like a hero that uses 8 spots, and maybe I put a CC break and something else behind hotkeys, and that's that.

That said I did play him for a while and enjoy him, but I haven't played him in ages.

I'd be surprised if they released Winter Soldier tomorrow. His design wasn't strong to begin with, and all the feedback regarding him has sent Gaz all over the place with changes. Cap can definitely be in a good place by today, but I still wouldn't be surprised if the forum outcry for major changes to him kept his release delayed along with Bucky.

Don't get your hopes up for these two to be released tomorrow.

Sblargh

Banned
Well, you know, I always thought people played captain america wrong (ignoring his signature, using his basics on endgame instead of vibranium bash, not putting even one point in two of the shouts even if the power aura is one of the most common to have in a group, using airborne assault as a single target damage spike instead of just an AoE) and reading the feedback, it looks to me people are still playing him wrong. Still using airborne assault in every situation (even when both his sig and his execute now have an AoE component); using cooldown and AoE heavy rotations without spamming vibranium bash or shield strike to keep the damage up.

I mean, I don't have the TC, so I could be speaking out of my ass, but I played enough Captain America that I can kind of see what people are trying to do when they say this or that sucks, or that his rotation doesn't have a smooth flow and I keep thinking the problem are the builds, not the rotation.

I think a lot of cap's powers are either/or; both torque shield and airborne assault are unecessary, choose one or the other; also, choose one of the shield throws, trying to use both is just spending a lot of points on something you can't never use in a rotation that makes sense (since the problem isn't the cooldown, but the time it takes for the shield to travel back to you). I mean, I could go on, and in my head I will, forever and ever, but I think that the disconect between Gaz and the captain america fanbase is that they want to play him as a shield throwing AoE machine and he's more of a brawler.

Dec

Well, you know, I always thought people played captain america wrong (ignoring his signature, using his basics on endgame instead of vibranium bash, not putting even one point in two of the shouts even if the power aura is one of the most common to have in a group, using airborne assault as a single target damage spike instead of just an AoE) and reading the feedback, it looks to me people are still playing him wrong. Still using airborne assault in every situation (even when both his sig and his execute now have an AoE component); using cooldown and AoE heavy rotations without spamming vibranium bash or shield strike to keep the damage up.

I mean, I don't have the TC, so I could be speaking out of my ass, but I played enough Captain America that I can kind of see what people are trying to do when they say this or that sucks, or that his rotation doesn't have a smooth flow and I keep thinking the problem are the builds, not the rotation.

I think a lot of cap's powers are either/or; torque shield and airborne assault are unecessary, choose one or the other; also, choose one of the shield throws, trying to use both is just spending a lot of points on something you can't never use in a rotation that makes sense (since the problem isn't the cooldown, but the time it takes for the shield to travel back to you). I mean, I could go on, and in my head I will, forever and ever, but I think that the disconect between Gaz and the captain america fanbase is that they want to play him as a shield throwing AoE machine and he's more of a brawler.

My build is literally the exact same as the one you posted a few days ago, just because I chose the powers I wanted to use and I guess ended up in the same place as you.

He's still very bad on live. Though I do find him fun to play and don't agree with the claims that he plays badly. His damage is just awful.

Sblargh

Banned
My build is literally the exact same as the one you posted a few days ago, just because I chose the powers I wanted to use and I guess ended up in the same place as you.

He's still very bad on live. Though I do find him fun to play and don't agree with the claims that he plays badly. His damage is just awful.

Yeah, I got him to 60 today and tried to do a cosmic terminal and found out that, yep, his damage is really lower than what I am used to these days, but still, dang, I love so much to play as him. I don't know, he has a kind of weight and flow that just keeps me hooked.

Dec

Yeah, I got him to 60 today and tried to do a cosmic terminal and found out that, yep, his damage is really lower than what I am used to these days, but still, dang, I love so much to play as him. I don't know, he has a kind of weight and flow that just keeps me hooked.

This patch should be pretty great.

Very excited for WS and Cap, plus we're getting very close to the big stuff we've all been waiting for.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. He has that "visceral" feel that people always talk about when describing Diablo as the king of ARPGs. The weight of the shield hits have a nice sensation to them in-game.

Sblargh

Banned
What's the logic in this? Without having dots or ground aoes to layer, having multiple hard hitting cooldowns makes all the more sense.

Because those powers aren't hard hitting cooldowns, they are ground aoes. People use them as if they were damage spikes, but they really aren't. The core of his damage is vibranium bash (and now shield strike could be used, I guess); the shield throws (now with an option of bleeding) are the layers.

Top Bottom