• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

one timed in /social I said "who even uses basics" in response to something, idk, and to my surprise some people seemed straight-up offended by this.

but for real, who even uses basics? Excepting Fangs and maybe one or two others, almost no hero needs a basic.

Well unless you have a couple slots filled with spirit sustain, you'll definitely need to switch to a basic attack at some point on nearly all characters. Players who place heavy emphasis on cool looking moves may also prefer to use basics on certain characters over the optimal ST spender. I would assume this is the crowd that was responding to you. Also, Fangs isn't a basic attack.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh they changed fangs? This interests me

Dec

Having spirit sustain in a couple slots to be able to use a spender beats resorting to basics excluding some very specific examples.

I only use a basic on one hero I think

Moon Knight should try to stay at 20% or less spirit at all times, alternating between spiked gauntlets basic and cestus gauntlet punch spender to stay at the sweet spot.

That is one rare example of a basic attack being a dps gain because cestus has slightly more initial damage, a drastically lower attack speed but applies a bleed. If you use only cestus you do less damage, if you use only spiked gauntlets you do less damage.

If you alternate to stay low spirit, spiked gauntlets has a much faster attack speed so you can squeeze a few before cestus' bleed expires.

Cestus to 10% spirit -> spiked gauntlets until bleed expires -> repeat.

Despite that exception Moon Knight still gears for spirit sustain, without it he is worthless.

Gothos

I hate heroes with skills that depend on tracking debuffs like dots.

It's finally time they add debuffs icons abiove the hotbar (like in D3), so we can easly track this stuff. It's a really simple solution and it's bewildering they sill haven't implemented it...

Sblargh

Banned
Two things I avoid are charge moves and basics.

Charge moves because I don't how they stop you from doing everything else while you charge them and basics because using a power without consuming spirit always feels like a waste of an attack where I could be spending spirit.

Basics are for leveling only on most cases, afaik.

Yeah I can't think of anyone who uses a basic power in an optimal build other than Cable, or as Dec mentioned, Moon Knight. There are probably some others, but maybe just people pre-52 review, like Punisher.

I actually like Cable's rotation. If they keep that basic power in his rotation after the review, I won't cry. But they'll probably give him some kind of single-target spirit spender (they keep hyping Hyper Viper Beam). If they do it right and he gets two distinct builds - a straight gunner/soldier and his current Mental DOTs rotation - maybe the latter can keep the basic as its spam move.

Spider-Man kind of needs a basic.

He has terrible spirit management. If you're one on one with a boss then you can get by with a Pym's shrinking serum. In groups however, if you're not being targeted, then spamming Spider-brawl can quickly deplete your spirit.

Throwing in a spider-strike, which restores spirit, is often necessary.

KePoW

Banned
uhh yall don't use Basic powers for Luke Cage or Daredevil ?? I'm not sure how that's possible unless it's a really wacky taffy build?

there's a few more heroes too

Gothos

I remember when one of Spidey's basics was his main dps skill. He was such a god damn fun hero then, ehhhhhhhhh.......

Interesting. Never played as him.

You could also argue it's good for IW as well. Her basic is basically the same as Cyclops' only not as powerful I believe.

That said you can easily build her to not need a basic since she has a move with a small cd that gives her a decent amount of spirit. Also most people probably wouldn't waste relics on her since she isn't in a great spot atm (I kinda like her though).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Biggest problem with basic attacks are clicking on the enemy and my character just runs around like a fool

Yeah I can't think of anyone who uses a basic power in an optimal build other than Cable, or as Dec mentioned, Moon Knight.

Off the top of my head: Cage, Daredevil, Cable, Squirrel Girl, Wolverine, and X-23.

It would be interesting if they had a couple heroes built specifically to use a basic attack as their main DPS component. Would at least make the relic and possibly the Badoon unique worth using.

Sblargh

Banned
Daredevil uses his basic for simple lack of spammable spirit spender; Wolverine (and maybe X-23) were built around mechanics for the basic.

Off the top of my head: Cage, Daredevil, Cable, Squirrel Girl, Wolverine, and X-23.

It would be interesting if they had a couple heroes built specifically to use a basic attack as their main DPS component. Would at least make the relic and possibly the Badoon unique worth using.

Yeah I guess I was more meaning its use as the single-target spammer. Which is what Cable's is for. However, his DOTs do more of the damage, so he's better served by other relics anyway.

Drayco21

one timed in /social I said "who even uses basics" in response to something, idk, and to my surprise some people seemed straight-up offended by this.

but for real, who even uses basics? Excepting Fangs and maybe one or two others, almost no hero needs a basic.

I use pretty much every hero's basics. I don't think I could play this game relying only on Spirit-consuming powers.

This weekend's work:

I took X-23 from 1 to 60. I was very disappointed in her. Gameplay wise she is fine but nothing that exciting. I did not like her voice work. She sounded completely flat and unemotional. Nothing like I imagined from the comics. Also she really didn't have much to say to any x-men other than Night crawler. I got her Xforce costume out of the blender and teamed her up with the Xforce Wolverine for most of my play. She's going to be put of the shelf and kinda doubt I will try her again.

I took Hawkeye / Kate Bishop from 1 to almost 50. I like the variety of attacks quite a bit but I think the build isn't good. I'm struggling with terminals and running out of spirit.

Played The Hulk for a few hours to run daily Man Ape and Zoo runs. God, he is just so much fun now. He is just perfect for the Hulk.

I still have about 8 heroes, give or take, I still need to get to 60. but after Hawkeye, I'm probably going to prestige either Invisible Woman or Spiderman. I got Future Foundation costumes from the blender for both of them.

KePoW

Banned
I took X-23 from 1 to 60. I was very disappointed in her. Gameplay wise she is fine but nothing that exciting. I did not like her voice work. She sounded completely flat and unemotional. Nothing like I imagined from the comics.

that's exactly what she's like from comix, lol

At least from several years ago and her origin series. I don't know about currently

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have the kaanrkarnarakrnarth relic on cyclops because I just spam ricochet. YOLO.

Ploid 3.0

Wow Cyclops looks very strong.

I did a random costume mix and got X-23 Target X Costume.

I want to play as so many different characters but I kinda have to pick 2-3, swapping around the artifacts are getting expensive. Need more gem of the kurse, white gorilla necklace, and so on. Also I need to find a way to farm Loki runes. I wish I could take GOM off of Rogue and swap the one I put on Hulk from time to time. Couldn't Gazillion just do bind to account rather than character? This stuff is annoying in every game it's in.

New Gambit costume:

7XDZyLa.jpg

There actually is some controversy on that guy's post on the official forums about "wiggling" to get more hits in, but that's without the ultimate.

Drayco21

New Gambit costume:

Fucking Gambit, feels like he's constantly getting new costumes. It makes me irrationally angry every time I have to acknowledge they even put him in this game. I'll probably get this one out of the blender half a dozen times like his other costumes too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fucking Gambit, feels like he's constantly getting new costumes. It makes me irrationally angry every time I have to acknowledge they even put him in this game. I'll probably get this one out of the blender half a dozen times like his other costumes too.

xmenuncanny2-14d+xmen+clones+dumb+gambit.jpg

inky

I've got all his costumes a few times as well. And it's sad because pretty much all I needed was his 90s costume and I got that with the pack.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I use the 90's costume cuz I got it from the blender, but I haven't played Gambit much since I first got him and leveld to 60. I would definitely do a prestige if I ever get the Death costume.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
im finding it annoying how certain heroes are getting costumes alot then others arent. gambit and wolverine are like regular names that appear for costumes. what about nightcrawler squirriel girl ms marvel and numerous others like black widow.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Gambit As Death is an awesome costume, and also makes his personality more tolerable.

inky

I didn't like Gambit as dead too much. Never use it myself. Voice is better, that is true.

I fear Ms Marvel will be left behind a bit due to how many costumes she got already. I'll never get my Unmasked Captain Marvel will I? =( Been asking for that shit since before the game came out.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
BELIEVE. I hope they redo the entire Captain Marvel costume, sans mask, like they did for Spiderman's traditional duds.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
costume dev spacezero said this to me other day in pm

QueenOfHunting
January 31
hey space is it possible you could put word in for a ms marvel costume :)

spaceZeroX
spaceZeroX
January 31
I believe something is coming up for her, but not sure what it is.

Top Bottom