• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
We're going to be livestreaming this tomorrow, Tuesday, February 3rd, at 2pm PST on our Twitch channel. www.twitch.tv/marvelheroes

@Ryolnir will be joining me for this fiasco and we'll be showing off Winter Soldier, amongst other things. We may have some special guests drop in as well to say goodbye to me before I die of hot dog poisoning.

For every dog I manage to get down, we'll be donating money to the Second Harvest Food Bank in San Mateo, CA. $10 buys roughly 20 meals and Second Harvest is a great organization all around. They accept donations on their website if you'd like to contribute. http://www.shfb.org/

We'll also be raising the server-side RIF/SIF by 5% for every hot dog I manage to get down, so it's in your best interest if I don't die too quickly. We'll be giving away the Fred Dawson's Hot Dog Cart unique to random viewers of the stream as well, so definitely stop by if you can!
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/dis...e-2015-live-stream-tomorrow-at-2pm-pst#latest

35 is how many he has in total :p
awesome will watch

Ploid 3.0

There actually is some controversy on that guy's post on the official forums about "wiggling" to get more hits in, but that's without the ultimate.

Cyclopse's ability shown is wiggled all the time by most I assumed. It's like the old wiggle abilities a lot of characters used, but Gazillion fixed those to not hit twice when wiggling, I suppose this ability is bugged allowing for the wiggle.

Cyclopse's ability shown is wiggled all the time by most I assumed. It's like the old wiggle abilities a lot of characters used, but Gazillion fixed those to not hit twice when wiggling, I suppose this ability is bugged allowing for the wiggle.

Oh yeah? I had no idea about that bug. I had just looked up Cyclops after the discussion about basics and that guy's build was the top post. One of the comments was very angry about the bug.

I think I've mathematically proven that Silver Surfer is "most owed" a new costume based on popularity and current number of costumes. However, Gambit is pretty deserving based on this metric, so I've sunk my own ship. Of course this system breaks down for newer heroes, but it looks pretty good otherwise.

edit:

First: Popularity based on forum posts - like I said, this breaks down for newer characters since the forums will explode with posts in a relatively short amount of time when a hero is originally announced, but will eventually come to an equilibrium at some point in the future. I did not add Venom, Rogue, Juggs, WS, Magneto, X-23 for these reasons. They have extremely high popularity indexes.

0Yxm3aR.png

Second: Costume Owe Index - this I just took the current number of costumes divided by approximately how many days the hero has been available, multiplied by the popularity index. This shows Silver Surfer at the top, then GR, Gambit, etc. A few of these top guys do have costumes announced or in the works, so I think this system partially works. I'm sure Gaz looks at real numbers based on play-time in-game, time spent browsing and content being browsed in the in-game store, in addition to what films are coming out, when reviews are scheduled, etc. to pick their next costumes. But based on this, I'd say Psylocke or Loki are getting 'stumes announced pretty soon. There are always outliers. Wiccan is a crazy one, for instance. Even before his release, Scarlet Witch would have only been at Punisher's "costume owe index." Wiccan's release pushes her off this list entirely.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Maybe you are supposed to wiggle it, but he's doing it too much. Optimum DPS comes from a moderate amount of wiggling.

You should wiggle it. Just a little bit.

KePoW

Banned
wtf wiggle?

Why don't gaz make it so it doesn't require wiggling to do more damage??? that just seems like a silly unnecessary mechanic

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
maybe no winter this week ?

Heya!

We just got out of a long meeting about Winter Soldier (myself, @MichaelMayhem, @TheArtofRawr, @PsiLocke) with a long list of action items and changes to get him to a place where we all want him.

@MichaelMayhem is also going to be posting something soon regarding the changes and clearing up some of the confusion surrounding Winter Soldier, his changes to come, and our intentions.

Today we didn't push a build due to us wanting to meet today & iterate on the feedback. Thanks for all of it!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
His current state is silly. I'm glad there was a "long meeting", 'cause if he went live anything like he is now, he'd be one of the least liked heroes.

Whats the problem exactly? Besides his own nature of just being another guy with guns really. His arm doesn't even do anything, it's just a metal arm

Whats the problem exactly? Besides his own nature of just being another guy with guns really. His arm doesn't even do anything, it's just a metal arm

Unremarkable animations for his ranged tree, simple playstyle, useless stealth, and weak defense and offense. His knife throw misses a lot, and both of his trees require a skill from the opposite one for the stance buff, yet the powers don't gel well with the other spec. Cool sig though, I guess. He's the kind of hero that you'll have fun with for a short window of time then drop after leveling because there's nothing to him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He's the kind of hero that you'll have fun with for a short window of time then drop after leveling because there's nothing to him.

You just described every "gun hero" in the game (for me at least)

Rhaknar

Might buy this if it comes out good in the game.I hate all the current Cap costumes

1508533_1054810954535476_3875285810200071998_n.jpg

KePoW

Banned
Looks like they're going to retool WS's kit to properly make his hybrid builds actually mesh well together and fix all the janky powers/improve QoL. Should be nice to see the outcome, especially now that all the ranged and melee powers aren't shoved together forcing generic builds.

Lengthy write-up about the goal for WS's design for those interested.

I'll have to give Gaz credit if they do delay the release.

That's what I've always said they should do for every new hero (unless it really is good already)

Dec

The problem with cap costumes is rigging, just like Moon Knight's cape. They will all be at least a little deformed.

Rhaknar

Bucky isn't physical only, am I reading this right?

Rhaknar

When they call him hybrid, it is to say he is both melee and ranged.

I know that, I saw people on the forums saying he was physical/energy. Must have been a older build

Lord Phol

I could use some Odin Event! Popped like a million buffs at the start of the cow event and still got them ticking, don't wanna waste them on nothing.

Fucking Gambit, feels like he's constantly getting new costumes. It makes me irrationally angry every time I have to acknowledge they even put him in this game. I'll probably get this one out of the blender half a dozen times like his other costumes too.

I hate Gambit as well but I got him as a random hero so I'll have to play him at some point. At least all these costumes, eventually I will see one that will make him tolerable.

Sweet. Finally got my 200 day team up tonight!

X-factor Wolverine is nice looking.

Wonder if I can use method 2 in combination with macros in my razer mouse? I'm going to have to try it.

What is it with people's dislike of Gambit in here is it comic based because he's pretty good in-game and a lot of fun?

I think it has more to do with how often he is getting new costumes. Gambit as Death in November, (exclusive for some before that) and the shirtless one a month or two ago. Now he's getting a new one announced already, when other heroes still have 2 or 3.

He's very popular and I'm sure his costumes make Gaz a ton of money. Especially the shirtless one since it was tied to fortune cards and you could see the forum posters salivating over that one.

Maybe we're all just jealous of those pecs.

I think it has more to do with how often he is getting new costumes. Gambit as Death in November, (exclusive for some before that) and the shirtless one a month or two ago. Now he's getting a new one announced already, when other heroes still have 2 or 3.

He's very popular and I'm sure his costumes make Gaz a ton of money. Especially the shirtless one since it was tied to fortune cards and you could see the forum posters salivating over that one.

Maybe we're all just jealous of those pecs.

If it's just the costumes then I can understand it, there are definitely other heroes that need another costume or two before him.

That said I'd love for Spidey to get some more costumes even though he has a lot already but that's mainly because the two I really want haven't happened yet. I am a bit biased though.

KePoW

Banned
If it's just the costumes then I can understand it, there are definitely other heroes that need another costume or two before him.

That said I'd love for Spidey to get some more costumes even though he has a lot already but that's mainly because the two I really want haven't happened yet. I am a bit biased though.

ugh don't tell me ur a spiderman fanatic?!?

Agreed, as Spidey is my favorite hero (and let's be honest, he has the highest number of iconic looks in all of Marvel). He does get a lot of costume love overall though. We just had Mayday released and now Spider-Gwen is around the corner. Not even IM gets this much love (he still has no enhanced costumes, while Spidey is about to be at four).

There was a trend for a while where after a new hero was released they'd get their third costume after about a month, but it was bucked with IW. Then Mr. F and Surfer got the same treatment too. Heroes released after them have since gone back to this trend. You can get a third costume already for Rogue, Juggs, Mags, Venom, and Star-Lord.

Not even IM gets this much love

Love in terms of costumes but not in terms of a mini QoL.

I really want Spider-Man 2099 or Armoured Mark 1 Spidey costumes but I'm fine with seeing heroes like the ones you mentioned get their third costume before the Spidey one.

From a fan perspective they should try and spread the costumes releases around but from a business perspective there almost certainly a few heroes they intend to target to bring in the most money.

What is it with people's dislike of Gambit in here is it comic based because he's pretty good in-game and a lot of fun?

i am da tief, i trow da cardz

Something to do with him being popular because of a 90's cartoon and also Rogue is shit too I guess.

Gambit is plainly just a bad character (not in-game speaking). He's flat and uninteresting, but looks flashy, which made him popular with the kids back then, who are now in their 20s. The sentence I made above your quote is the entire summary of Gambit and his character development over the past 25 or so years of his existence.

Rogue's "badness" is based on an entirely different reason - it's the inconsistency of her powers and, to a lesser extent, her personality, that more than anything else, is super subjectively decided by the writer in charge of the character. Example: In some cases, Rogue's powers also take the memories from the person she is absorbing something from... in others they don't. In some cases, Rogue takes the entirety of a superpowered person's powerset... in others she doesn't. In some cases the person fully recovers from her attack, in others they don't. etc etc.
I think if all of that was more consistent, the people in here who don't like her would be more open. Personally, I'm indifferent to her.

Sblargh

Banned

Gambit is plainly just a bad character (not in-game speaking). He's flat and uninteresting, but looks flashy, which made him popular with the kids back then, who are now in their 20s. The sentence I made above your quote is the entire summary of Gambit and his character development over the past 25 or so years of his existence.

Rogue's "badness" is based on an entirely different reason - it's the inconsistency of her powers and, to a lesser extent, her personality, that more than anything else, is super subjectively decided by the writer in charge of the character. Example: In some cases, Rogue's powers also take the memories from the person she is absorbing something from... in others they don't. In some cases, Rogue takes the entirety of a superpowered person's powerset... in others she doesn't. In some cases the person fully recovers from her attack, in others they don't. etc etc.
I think if all of that was more consistent, the people in here who don't like her would be more open. Personally, I'm indifferent to her.

Gambit has a whole thing where he is one of the people responsible for the mutant massacre. And in some ways, he is not really an x-men, as in, he's not really a part of any team, sometimes he helps, sometimes he disappears; as far as lore goes, he is probably more famous for a being a thief than for being a hero.

The funny thing is, I read an interview with Chris Claremont about Gambit, and the character would've been so much more interesting if Claremont would've stayed at Marvel. The writers who took over after him completely ruined the concept Claremont had in mind.

Originally, Gambit, together with Mr. Sinister, was supposed to be a sort of avatar for an entirely different character. The person behind Gambit and Sinister would've been a guy who was stuck in a child's body, and partially also stuck with a child's mind, so he would project Sinister as his avatar because he looks scary to a kid, and he would project Gambit and use him to get closer to the X-Men, and experience friendship and love and whatnot. It was fascinating. I could try to find that interview if anybody is interested, it's in one of the companion magazines of the Marvel figurines I'm collecting.

Gambit has a whole thing where he is one of the people responsible for the mutant massacre.

Which... didn't really change anything about him.

And in some ways, he is not really an x-men, as in, he's not really a part of any team, sometimes he helps, sometimes he disappears; as far as lore goes, he is probably more famous for a being a thief than for being a hero.

Had it covered. :)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That sounds like one sinister gambit

That sounds like one sinister gambit

Yup. That's also why Gambit and Sinister both have those red/black eyes. The kid who was using those avatars was always going to be a villain, though I believe Claremont had left it open whether or not he had eventually come around.
But that's neither here nor there, I guess.

But Wolverine just growls and has claws?

When did I ever say Wolverine was an interesting character? :p

Despite the lot of hate he gets, I find Superman to be one of the most intriguing DC characters, since he's gone through a lot of development.

Anyway, in regards to your complaint about Cyclops - he's a more interesting character than Gambit mostly because he is indeed the leader of the X-Men. He has often struggled with this position, with the difficulty of being in charge and making a decision, as well as dealing with the consequences of that. He also got this love triangle thing going on with Jean and Emma, which I found to be uniquely interesting. He's had many arcs that had influence on his personality.
The only one of the founding members of the X-Men who stayed virtually the same over time was Iceman. He's still a joke-cracking smartass who can't keep it in his pants.

Generally speaking, though, most of the X-Men are super boring characters and one trick ponies, which is why I personally am not a big fan of that sub-universe.

Top Bottom