• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
heres a post i made at the offcial forums getting plenty of disagrees but its true

Yeah I'm with you and I don't understand how it's in any way controversial to say that Gaz has a habit of messing things up with patches because it happens literally every single week. fanboys gonna fanboy i guess

edit: i keep totp'ing, halp

Sblargh

Banned
I'm commited to an internet forum discussion now. If it all ends horribly, I'm blaming y'all for inflamming my sensible emotions.

Hereafter

Counterpoint: Captain America is awesome. *easily bribeable*

I figured, all you Brazilians are the same

as in you are all from Brazil

I'm commited to an internet forum discussion now. If it all ends horribly, I'm blaming y'all for inflamming my sensible emotions.

Why even bother? Most of the people only care about the new shiny. Any issues can be saved/glosses over with a server side boost.

I want Headphones Starlord and/or Sweatpants Hawkeye. :( I'm working when they go on sale though.

Edit: I hope "Maskless" Captain Marvel isn't released as a "limited edition".

Tonight I was running terminals, fisk tower specifically, when instead of a cube shard falling when I bet kingpin, it was a MK1 forune card. I about fell out of my seat. I haven't seen one of those drop in almost a year. It was weird that it was inplace of a cube shard.

This is the kinda stuff they're working on when their game runs like absolute shit? GTFO.

I know that it wouldn't be the same people working on those two, but come on.

I think it'd be more reasonable if the variant costumes were also available without the achievement, title and emote. Those that wanted the extras could purchase the numbered "limited edition" versions, retaining their collectible status, while those who just want the variant costume could do so as well.

my point im trying to make is this gambit appearance was new right. so when the patch first went live not only was he taking the required event items for the quest. he was taking every single one you had (requires 3 and you have 10 he would take the 10). thats why they disabled the feature.

my point is, surely if your releasing something new and your doing downtime which is not only used to upload the patch to live. your qa etc also test the patch then to check everything is ok thats why the downtime is so long. so why wouldnt that issue been caught before hand cos surely thats one thing you would test is something you added in the patch.

So let's say that QA does find a major issue during a patch's final pass. The bug will be logged and then sent up the chain. What do you expect to happen? Unless it's a showstopper (consistent crash or technical requirement issue) the producers (the people with the real power) are going to let it through. Why? Because it's still going to make money which is the point of the game. Adding more content, even buggy content is preferable to no content from a business aspect.

If it was up to QA, games would never release. I've worked on games that have been called works of art by some reviewers and the best game ever made by others and I see them as buggy software that released with tens of thousands of open bugs. Clean releases, especially in the modern age of patch it later, is an idealist's dream that has no basis in reality.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lol at the ridiculous cash crab. Yes yes you don't "have" to buy them, but making it "limited" (a limited digital item lol) is just a shameful way of pressuring people to buy them. Good lord at Gaz lately haha.

So let's say that QA does find a major issue during a patch's final pass. The bug will be logged and then sent up the chain. What do you expect to happen? Unless it's a showstopper (consistent crash or technical requirement issue) the producers (the people with the real power) are going to let it through. Why? Because it's still going to make money which is the point of the game. Adding more content, even buggy content is preferable to no content from a business aspect.

If it was up to QA, games would never release. I've worked on games that have been called works of art by some reviewers and the best game ever made by others and I see them as buggy software that released with tens of thousands of open bugs. Clean releases, especially in the modern age of patch it later, is an idealist's dream that has no basis in reality.

There's a pretty large gulf between the shippable bugs you're talking about and how every single thing ends up broken whenever they try to do anything more complicated than patting their head and rubbing their belly.

They had to know what kind of reaction they were going to get. I feel like they know their fanbase well enough by now. Ryolnir's intro paragraph reads entirely like it's self aware bullshit.

Indignate

I'm not upset that this F2P game is doing F2P things.

I would love to see their stats on costume sales to find out how they came up with those unit numbers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not to pile up on Gaz (I still love the game even if I'm on hiatus until iceman) but something thats been bothering me, well not even bothering, just something I noticed, is that by using "spacebucks" in the store instead of real money, you don't "feel" it as much. In fact I'm sure that's in some "how to F2P for maximum returns" shady guide in every company these days. I remember reading the same.thing about Microsoft points back in the day.

I mainly notice it now because when I look at HotS skins and see like 7,50€ or something I'm like "hehe...no" but on Marvel, it's like its only 800g, that might aswell be fairy dust, you probably won't do the math, especially if you bought those Gs some time ago and it's sitting in your account. Again, not trying to pile up, especially since this is something that most F2P games do.

I'm not upset that this F2P game is doing F2P things.

I would love to see their stats on costume sales to find out how they came up with those unit numbers.

Pretty much. Like I said it's not so much bother, just a general "huh...so that's a thing these games do"

Sblargh

Banned
If the red version of the Conquest Star-Lord costume is one of these fucking things, I'm going to blow a gasket.

Confirmed as achievement reward, I think.

Not to pile up on Gaz (I still love the game even if I'm on hiatus until iceman) but something thats been bothering me, well not even bothering, just something I noticed, is that by using "spacebucks" in the store instead of real money, you don't "feel" it as much. In fact I'm sure that's in some "how to F2P for maximum returns" shady guide in every company these days. I remember reading the same.thing about Microsoft points back in the day.

I mainly notice it now because when I look at HotS skins and see like 7,50€ or something I'm like "hehe...no" but on Marvel, it's like its only 800g, that might aswell be fairy dust, you probably won't do the math, especially if you bought those Gs some time ago and it's sitting in your account. Again, not trying to pile up, especially since this is something that most F2P games do.

Pretty much. Like I said it's not so much bother, just a general "huh...so that's a thing these games do"

I get the sting when buying the Gs themselves because I only buy Gs when I want to buy something specific; so if the smaller G bundle is 10 bucks, everything costs *at least* 10 bucks because that's how much money is going to buy that thing I want, even if I end up using the remaining Gs to pick up something else (which usually happens)

inky

So they're adding in Limited Edition costumes. Those are the variants we've been seeing. They will get you a Feat of Strength and a title, but they are expensive.

More info.

This is idiotic.

I blame all of you who bought fortune cards for the costumes. Pretty much telling them you are willing to spend hundreds of $$ on them. Thank you.

Drayco21

which costume is that, do u have a link?

It's the Star-Lord costume, and really should have been his default to begin with, as much as l love the Conquest version:

Marvel-Heroes-Datamine-04.02.15.x4.png

Edit: Ryolnir claims they're already looking at the feedback and looking into changing limited costumes. There's no way they didn't expect this kind of volatile reaction.

Edit: Ryolnir claims they're already looking at the feedback and looking into changing limited costumes. There's no way they didn't expect this kind of volatile reaction.

They've made some other boneheaded moves like removing default costumes from prestiging and only reversed those decisions after hearing negative feedback. I think some of the staff genuinely thought this was a cool idea. Glad to see this thread (and most of the official thread) ain't drinking the kool-aid.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm not upset, in fact I think it's kind of cool in concept. Frankly I feel sorry for the whales; Gaz sure knows how to sink the hooks in deep.

inky

I think it's silly, but not worth the rage really. Maybe with the money of those, they can get stuff out on time.

The only thing it would guarantee to make it out on time is more of them.

Gaz is doing extremely well financially already, and that doesn't guarantee anything. They don't need to pull this crap, but god if they haven't been trying forever.

Drayco21

They've made some other boneheaded moves like removing default costumes from prestiging and only reversed those decisions after hearing negative feedback. I think some of the staff genuinely thought this was a cool idea. Glad to see this thread (and most of the official thread) ain't drinking the kool-aid.

I completely forgot about this. I don't think I've ever had such a love/hate relationship with a dev before this point- I guess that's just what happens when you invest in a F2P game.

Vecks

I find G's all right, since they give bonus G sale, in-store discounts and they usually give you extra G's to enhance the value of bundles/packs. So even though it's originally like 1 to 100g, you can stretch that value out quite a bit.

styl3s

So they're adding in Limited Edition costumes. Those are the variants we've been seeing. They will get you a Feat of Strength and a title, but they are expensive.

More info.
Son of a bitch this game just wont stop taking my money.

It's the Star-Lord costume, and really should have been his default to begin with, as much as l love the Conquest version:

I absolutely refuse to believe that at any point they thought a large majority of people were going to be ok with limited edition digital content, limited edition digital content is an oxymoron and like a moron i will buy them.

Son of a bitch this game just wont stop taking my money.

I absolutely refuse to believe that at any point they thought a large majority of people were going to be ok with limited edition digital content, limited edition digital content is an oxymoron and like a moron i will
try to
buy them.

FTFY. I have no doubt these will sell out immediately :(

Limited edition variant costumes seem like such a desperate cash grab. It's a very good way to justify selling non-enhanced costumes at a premium price, and for minimum effort to boot! (Because, from what I understand, they're minor modifications to existing costumes.)

MH Launch Gaz is showing its face again and I don't like it at all.

Limited edition pets or fortune card drops will be the next step.

As for the whole LE cash grab:
I think it'd be more reasonable if the variant costumes were also available without the achievement, title and emote. Those that wanted the extras could purchase the numbered "limited edition" versions, retaining their collectible status, while those who just want the variant costume could do so as well.
I'd have no problem with it if this was the case. Release the variants as something anyone can get, but make a special LE version that is released early + has the extras to make collectors all giddy.

Lord Phol

I personally have no problems with some items being limited in stock/really hard to get in these kind of games as long as they keep the count low and it's only visual stuff. There's still pleeeenty of costumes available for each hero to buy that should suit everyone except perhaps the super nerd. And those people usually have no problem cashing in on limited merchandise and expensive stuff in general from my understanding.

However I do think the better solution to keeping something rare is to just make it really hard to get instead of first come first serve. Like legendaries in WoW.

Top Bottom