• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Im not too keen on limited edition costumes either. There should just be variants of existing costumes, that get sold the same as any other "regular" costume (price and availability).
I would love Emmas long sleeve P5 variant. I'd have to buy it.

2689019-phoenix_five_emma_frost_costume.jpg

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
hqdefault.jpg

but I probably will be if they ever do one of these I actually want (and I don't get it)

If they didnt anticipate the backlash this would cause then I would be surprised. Kind of reminds me of back when before the game launch they planned to make it so that the only way to get a hero you wanted was to pre-order it. Beyond that point you could only either buy a token that gave you a random hero or hope for drops (lol). This is not as extreme as that of course, but it too pissed alot of people off.

Personally though, the only thing that doesnt sit well with me is the limit theyre putting on these costumes.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm amused that many seem to believe the optimal solution is to make the costumes infinitely and indefinitely available. Do people dispute the concept that the value is proportional to the rarity?

Just seen this since I was asleep during the reveal (UK timezone) and overall I have no strong opinion of it either way. I'm not a big costume buyer so I don't care too much.

That said apart from the rarity, that is being artificially made by Gaz, there doesn't seem to be a big enough difference between these costumes that the freely available variants.

Ryolnir mentioned Spidey 2099, even though he seemed to suggest it will be a standard enhanced, the fact he mentioned it in this announcement has me a bit worried.

I'm amused that many seem to believe the optimal solution is to make the costumes infinitely and indefinitely available. Do people dispute the concept that the value is proportional to the rarity?

Correct! Here is another point to add to that. Gaz knows how many costumes they are likely to sell and it probably is significantly less that the number they are putting out. So just by saying its "rare" they are automatically going to sell more. The vast majority of people complaining probably wouldn't buy theses in the first place.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
So let's say that QA does find a major issue during a patch's final pass. The bug will be logged and then sent up the chain. What do you expect to happen? Unless it's a showstopper (consistent crash or technical requirement issue) the producers (the people with the real power) are going to let it through. Why? Because it's still going to make money which is the point of the game. Adding more content, even buggy content is preferable to no content from a business aspect.

If it was up to QA, games would never release. I've worked on games that have been called works of art by some reviewers and the best game ever made by others and I see them as buggy software that released with tens of thousands of open bugs. Clean releases, especially in the modern age of patch it later, is an idealist's dream that has no basis in reality.

and i can see you missed my point entirely.

gambit quest was disabled 2 hours after the server going live for everyone which they kept disabled for around a day. if they had found this bug during the server down time which at that time they use to upload to live server and test. they should have common sense tells you to test the things that got added or changed in patch to make sure they are all ok. they clearly never tested the gambit quest or they would have turned it off and posted a note in the patch notes saying xx is wrong with this quest we will do a small patch next day to fix.

and these special costumes are just another thing to fuck up the people buying advanced packs etc.

i put this changed down to the EA guy working there for just over a month

i like how star lord's costume is wrong at it should be a jacket not a trench coat but whatev's

Moondrop

Banned
the rarity, that is being artificially made by Gaz
Well this is just awful. Screw artificial scarcity.
Of course it's artificial; the costumes are zeroes and ones, not raw materials mined from the earth. Let me point out another source of artificial scarcity: RNG. Who will join my crusade to remove it from the game?

What's interesting to me about this system is there's no inherent lottery aspect. We can debate how hot the immediate demand will be, but if we assume you can get one if you're sitting by the computer with your credit card when the system goes live, this is a completely different system than RNG.

Of course it's artificial; the costumes are zeroes and ones, not raw materials mined from the earth. Let me point out another source of artificial scarcity: RNG. Who will join my crusade to remove it from the game?

What's interesting to me about this system is there's no inherent lottery aspect. We can debate how hot the immediate demand will be, but if we assume you can get one if you're sitting by the computer with your credit card when the system goes live, this is a completely different system than RNG.

It's still an awful, awful system. Seriously, why limit the amount of people that can buy your product, especially if it's digital?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
in other news there was a lunar log in gift this morning which was BUGGED it was giving people the holiday herbie pet from christmas or something like 50 fireworks to a random costume. so they have temp disabled the log in.

i think my post came at such a funny time lol

also

Mr. Garay joins Gazillion after 11 years at Electronic Arts, where he held roles as Chief Financial Officer for Maxis

thank for the the limited costumes Garay http://www.bloomberg.com/research/m...ey=600-201501120600PR_NEWS_USPRX____SF04565-1

i like how they left the announcement so late too. they are normally so excited to make announcements like dink wanting to show off the new storm costume. instead with this it hadnt even been mentioned what so ever till the announcement two days before they go up

dat back peddle is already coming heh

Ryolnir I'll have an update tomorrow.

Moondrop

Banned
It's still an awful, awful system. Seriously, why limit the amount of people that can buy your product?
I'm not the best at economics but one general theory would be that if

p = price of non-limited edition costume variants
n = number of people that would buy non-limited edition costume variants
P = price of limited edition costume variants
N = number of people that would buy limited edition costume variants

then Gaz must expect P*N > p*n.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
lol @ LE costumes. It's so ridiculously stupid that I can't even get mad at it. I'll just have a laugh and move on.(Unless they make a X-Force X-23 without the mask then I might get a bit worked up!)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
oh my fucking god this is fucking hilarious

even i wont be buying these costumes

do you remember when they said they couldnt do maskless movie costumes due to rights etc, i guess money prints :D

o9cFfuA.jpg

nYh6IH6.jpg

hahahaha this is clearly the work of that EA guy working there

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
That's photo shopped right? The visuals don't stick around like that? If so that's a huge mistake...

nope its a BUG because the effect doesnt have a cooldown

how much do you reckon that EA guy is affecting them considering hes probs one of there lead financial guys

nope its a BUG because the effect doesnt have a cooldown

how much do you reckon that EA guy is affecting them considering hes probs one of there lead financial guys

And these are supposed to go live Saturday? Right....

Guess we can add another thing to the pushed back list (not that too many people will be sad to see it pushed back) .

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
And these are supposed to go live Saturday? Right....

Guess we can add another thing to the pushed back list (not that too many people will be sad to see it pushed back) .

Or they will be oblivious too it like many bugs on tc dat money

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If Gaz is dead set on doing this, they should make them periodically available whenever chase costumes are after the initial launch, but without the LE numbering so that people who actually care about that shit can feel special.

Sblargh

Banned
This is the worst backlash I seen on this game. Granted I wasn't here when you needed keys or something to enter a terminal.

Also, this post:

I swear this is what happens when you get a closed office culture going. You're all looking at your little statues on your desks and thinking "these are so cool!" and then some bright bulb comes up with "We should inflict the incredible hassle of limited editions on our players so they can share in our self-congratulatory special snowflake collector BS!" This may come as a surprise, but most of your player base are NOT the alpha-predators of the geek world. They're here to enjoy a relatively level playing field instead of the hierarchies of real life advantage & privilege.

If you really want to mimic that model then these costumes need to NOT bind on equip so they can float from player to player via $100+ e-bay transactions and have that same stink on them where a few sharks buy them out for no other reason that to prey on others.

So much resentment for being poor and not being able to buy figurines.

I can relate 100%

inky

This is the worst backlash I seen on this game. Granted I wasn't here when you needed keys or something to enter a terminal.

The pre-release backlash for random boxes was way worse. It feels like every 4-5 months I have to make my usual post where I point out how much I love what Gaz has done with their game yet I don't trust them for shit.

It makes me sad that after 2 years, more than a thousand hours played and hundreds of dollars spent, I just can't go out and give these guys credit without feeling wrong about it, because a part of me knows they are just waiting for a chance to throw out any goodwill with terrible decisions like these, and the other part knows I've contributed to it, willingly, and genuinely enjoyed the game and the business model.

These are the same people who told me directly "we'll never have exclusive team ups in Fortune Cards", and had them 1 month later. It' isn't even that big of a deal that they exist. I don't care about Team Ups. But they told me no and did anyway. I just can't reconcile their thought process.

Moondrop

Banned
This may come as a surprise, but most of your player base are NOT the alpha-predators of the geek world. They're here to enjoy a relatively level playing field instead of the hierarchies of real life advantage & privilege.
This fallacious argument is build on the misguided assumption that Gaz's goal is to cater to the majority of the player base. It may come as a surprise to that poster, but the majority of players put little to no money into the game. Railing against content designed for the whales in a F2P game would be like railing against the high earners of society who supply virtually all of the taxation revenue
...oh wait people do that all the time

The over reaction for something thats really minor, at least to me, is amazing. It reminds me that the worst part about MMOs is the other people.

It may be minor to us, but to a lot of the collectors/whales it fundamentally changes the way they want to play the game. Some of them will never get these costumes or achievements and they're rightfully annoyed that the way they've been playing/paying for the game for a while now is changing in two days.

I think this would have also received a lot less blowback if it wasn't being released Saturday.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
These are the same people who told me directly "we'll never have exclusive team ups in Fortune Cards", and had them 1 month later. It' isn't even that big of a deal that they exist. I don't care about Team Ups. But they told me no and did anyway. I just can't reconcile their thought process.

I know what their thought process at leas was supposed to be on that, and it WAS "oh fortune card exclusives are just cosmetic, the base teamup will be available regularly" yet here we are still waiting for a non-fortune card green Doom.

Sblargh

Banned
The over reaction for something thats really minor, at least to me, is amazing. It reminds me that the worst part about MMOs is the other people.

I was thinking like that, but I guess Gaz pushed the wrong buttons on exactly the people they were aiming: those who really like the cosmetic items and that are willing to spend (and have spent) more than their fair share of Gs on them.

It won't change my life in this game, but then again, I'm usually a fan of default and/or classic costumes since I usually favor Kirby designs anyway (I almost feel like prestiging captain america again just so I can go back to the default costume), but for someone who is a huge fan of, say, the recent Hawkeye Fraction/Aja run and have already the Kate Bishop and the Hawkguy costumes; now Gaz creates this anxiety out of nowhere that there was this another variant that is just slightly different than the costume he already has, but it is expensive as fuck and comes with the chance of "running out" and him never being able to get it again.

I guess if costumes were important to me, I would be raging, too.

Edit: It just occurred to me this is part of a great plan.

1- Announce costumes that are almost identical to the ones already in the store (and so it wasted almost no resources to get done) as limited edition and wait for the backlash

2- Retract and go "we listened to your feedback! Those costumes will now be available at the store and it will only be more expensive, but not limited"

3 - People rejoice! "Gaz listens to us!" they say. "Best. Devs. Ever" they go. And so they end up buying the-costume-they-already-have-but-slightly-different for a higher price and newfound love of the devs who listen to their pleas.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
IEdit: It just occurred to me this is part of a great plan.

1- Announce costumes that are almost identical to the ones already in the store (and so it wasted almost no resources to get done) as limited edition and wait for the backlash

2- Retract and go "we listened to your feedback! Those costumes will now be available at the store and it will only be more expensive, but not limited"

3 - People rejoice! "Gaz listens to us!" they say. "Best. Devs. Ever" they go. And so they end up buying the-costume-they-already-have-but-slightly-different for a higher price and newfound love of the devs who listen to their pleas.

I'd actually be really impressed if they were this thought out about it.

Hereafter

Pretty much this. Gamers have the worst short term memory of ever. Except maybe hentai cosplay LARPers.

Anoregon

do you remember when they said they couldnt do maskless movie costumes due to rights etc, i guess money prints :D

There's actually some misunderstanding about that. They don't have the rights to the actual actor likenesses, but can do maskless movie costumes that don't look like the actors. Loki default, for example. Both the maskless WS and Starlord also don't look like their film actors.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Gaz has done few problems recently like the ipack with the costumes etc that screwed over advance pack buyers etc, they have u turned on few things recently,

They knew backlash was coming this time thats why it was announced this late n close to release. They normally over hype announcementa n blew the announcement early cos they can't wait, this announcement they only started building hype like 6 hours before

I spend loads of money on this game thats a fact n I happily show that I enjoy the money I spend but even this made me think like yea people hated you for fortune card lockdowns n foils n the wolverine Halloween costume. They knew what was coming with this

A limited edition that loses it's inherent value the second you purchase it. Lol. They are selling vanity tags, not something collectible because these things have no ability to be traded.

inky

A limited edition that loses it's inherent value the second you purchase it. Lol. They are selling vanity tags, not something collectible because these things have no ability to be traded.

Virtual "collectibles" are literally meaningless. Especially when they are tied to a game's server. Like, how can you collect something that won't exist the moment the game is done?

Virtual "collectibles" are literally meaningless. Especially when they are tied to a game's server. Like, how can you collect something that won't exist the moment the game is done?

I finally realize we're all living in that episode of Black Mirror.

The pre-release backlash for random boxes was way worse. It feels like every 4-5 months I have to make my usual post where I point out how much I love what Gaz has done with their game yet I don't trust them for shit.

It makes me sad that after 2 years, more than a thousand hours played and hundreds of dollars spent, I just can't go out and give these guys credit without feeling wrong about it, because a part of me knows they are just waiting for a chance to throw out any goodwill with terrible decisions like these, and the other part knows I've contributed to it, willingly, and genuinely enjoyed the game and the business model.

I'm in a similar boat. There's a good game in there, but Gaz does everything they can to bury it under a mountain of terrible practices. With every new release, I'm left wondering which Gaz I'm dealing with... Like, is this the Gaz that couldn't get crafting items to stack, or the Gaz that throws boosts at us like candy?

I'm sorta curious how far this game would have ever gotten without the Marvel license attached to it. I feel it would have been shut down some months after release, with no chance for a "2015" edition, simply due to their initial greedy designs completely hamstringing any chance it had at maintaining a stable playerbase.

Sblargh

Banned
I can't see this game without being a Marvel game. Like, I can see DCUO as a generic superhero MMO if you strip away all the DC things; but one of the greatest features of this game is how the comics really matter when deciding the character's gameplay.

I can't see this game without being a Marvel game. Like, I can see DCUO as a generic superhero MMO if you strip away all the DC things; but one of the greatest features of this game is how the comics really matter when deciding the character's gameplay.

Not to mention you get to actually play as the heroes. DCUO is mostly a create-a-hero affair except in certain modes.

Anoregon

I think for most people, MH was "come for the marvel, stay for the gameplay" but it is actually the opposite for me. I started because I heard it was a good game, and being interested in the game has increased my interest in Marvel stuff.

Sblargh

Banned
But I mean, without them being marvel characters, you wouldn't even have the skill tress being what they are. Is there any other ARPG that comes close to having more than 40 different classes?

Anoregon

But I mean, without them being marvel characters, you wouldn't even have the skill tress being what they are. Is there any other ARPG that comes close to having more than 40 different classes?

Path of the Exile nominally only has a handful of "classes", but the way that game's skills work means there are really like infinity classes.

And not to take anything away from Gaz, but for the most part every hero pretty much pulls from the same pool of essential mechanics. They are just arranged and flavored in different ways. Ground AoE Dot layers, offensive/defensive passives, high damage boss beater ability, etc.

Top Bottom