• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Spoit

Which hero?

Strange. I really need to farm a MODOK chair for him,as the ock arms don't do anything for a fangs build.

Otherwise, I was testing with Adv meta/gotk/ESP/ (and then couldn't decide between adv agamotto, headband, or AI chip, there was too much variance that I couldn't tell the difference between them). Tried both gungir and Warlock's eye, and both doop and gom

Dec

Strange. I really need to farm a MODOK chair for him,as the ock arms don't do anything for a fangs build.

Otherwise, I was testing with Adv meta/gotk/ESP/ (and then couldn't decide between adv agamotto, headband, or AI chip, there was too much variance that I couldn't tell the difference between them). Tried both gungir and Warlock's eye, and both doop and gom

I know nothing about Strange :X

Lord Phol

I've been playing some Diablo 3 recently and have noticed that finding a legendary/set item is alot more fun than in MH for me. Not quite sure why but I think it is a combination of the following:

- Presentation: The Audio cue that plays when an item drops and seeing the light shoot up always makes me excited in D3. I know MH does a similar thing but it doesn't give me the same excitement.
- Visuals: Another thing that's different is that the items actually visually change your hero.
- Upgrading: I feel it's easier to find an upgrade or something "game changing" in D3. In MH it's pretty much just farming your hero specific uniques and then trying to find the same 5 uniques with better rolls.
- Identifying: A big part that adds to the excitement of a new drop is probably you having no idea what it is until you identify it (unless you've played too much and recognize the icons).

It could also just be fatigue and having an overabundance of uniques in MH. Whenever I find something in MH I just get annoyed because I got nowhere to put it and I most likely all ready have 2-3 of that unique. Honestly I think making the any hero uniques better and adding some more flavour to them would go along way in adding excitement to drops.

That being said, Iceman is shaping up nicely from what little I've seen and the Punisher rework looks good. Should bring me back for some MH-gaming at least.

You want Gungnir and GoM. From those artifacts, I would say a high rolled Headband.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing some Diablo 3 recently and have noticed that finding a legendary/set item is alot more fun than in MH for me. Not quite sure why but I think it is a combination of the following:

- Presentation: The Audio cue that plays when an item drops and seeing the light shoot up always makes me excited in D3. I know MH does a similar thing but it doesn't give me the same excitement.
- Visuals: Another thing that's different is that the items actually visually change your hero.
- Upgrading: I feel it's easier to find an upgrade or something "game changing" in D3. In MH it's pretty much just farming your hero specific uniques and then trying to find the same 5 uniques with better rolls.
- Identifying: A big part that adds to the excitement of a new drop is probably you having no idea what it is until you identify it (unless you've played too much and recognize the icons).

It could also just be fatigue and having an overabundance of uniques in MH. Whenever I find something in MH I just get annoyed because I got nowhere to put it and I most likely all ready have 2-3 of that unique. Honestly I think making the any hero uniques better and adding some more flavour to them would go along way in adding excitement to drops.

That being said, Iceman is shaping up nicely from what little I've seen and the Punisher rework looks good. Should bring me back for some MH-gaming at least.

yea your looking for either fighting or more + to your skills in marvel where as diablo has things like x skill gets all effect of runes or shoots more fireballs etc. ive said for ages they should add a different tier of items in marvel that do skill changes. i frankly dont think those items that appeared on tc that did like 6 ranks to your ultimate was worth it

styl3s

Pugging reds is probably a tiny bit harder than pugging greens back in the day. Honestly easy unless people are dumb fucks.

Gear cut off is usually measured in ttk, but gear wise I would say most require 2/3 out of 5 69 slots, full legendary, full blessings. Omegas over 2k are a large plus, as is an ultimate at least level 11 but not ever demanded.

I usually see a requested ttk of 1:25 or so but in my experience damage isn't the issue often, it's more running out of respawns in pugs. 1:25 is easily obtainable so not too steep.

As always I will explain the mechanics that are different from green extensively if we can put one together.
I don't think i have ever seen anyone ask ultimate level.

Hereafter

What is your rotation? Also you will need a cosmic Doom medal.

Anyone who doesn't have level 20 ult on all their chars is maximum scrub

Scrub status achieved!

I think my highest is level 7 on Psylocke. Depending on the Punisher review outcome, I'll likely start focusing on his as my "main." I'm reading mixed reviews on the official forums, but almost anything is bound to be a significant improvement over his current state.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Diablo 3 has item and build diversity. Marvel Heroes has character diversity. Doing both is unfeasible from a design perspective given the scope of this game. But yeah D3 is currently a pretty good foil for me having played so much MH.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My highest is spiderman at like 3-4 because when I really got into the game for the first time last year every random box I spent splinters on was spiderman and it infuriated me to an outrageous degree.

Even after randoming a free back in black costume I couldn't really get into him, and now that Venom is ostensibly my "main" I have even less desire to do so.

Diablo 3 has item and build diversity. Marvel Heroes has character diversity. Doing both is unfeasible from a design perspective given the scope of this game. But yeah D3 is currently a pretty good foil for me having played so much MH.

The combat in Diablo 3 is massively better than that of Marvel Heroes, and I love the endless rift/greater rift gameplay.

The character diversity and licensing of Marvel Heroes is massively better than that of Diablo 3, since I vastly prefer playing as a Marvel hero than generic crusader #2995.

Diablo 3 has a much larger player base. Marvel Heroes has more play modes and stuff to do.

Diablo 3 has way better itemization. Just seeing visual changes on your character makes a world of difference.

Both are great games, especially with all the work and updates they've received.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Imagine if there was a game that combined the best aspects of Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Marvel Heroes, and Path of the Exile

I would be done with life

I also sometimes think about how awesome it would be if there was a Star Wars version of MH. Like, same exact mechanics but just in that universe. I don't know how you could get 40+ distinct characters out of it though, since lightsaber combat and blasters don't have all that many variations.

Imagine if there was a game that combined the best aspects of Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Marvel Heroes, and Path of the Exile

It would be so complicated that there would need to be A.I. simulations running every possible permutation of build/item/character to maximize efficiency, and you'd end up with the same cookie cutter/samey builds that happen with all three games.

I understand that each game offers different things, and I like all three, (though I've spent the least amount of time with POE) but to play at the highest level in each of these games, you really are shoe-horned into whatever the best build(s) is/are at the moment.

Ferny

I think what MH does, it does well for itself. D3 is a different game. Like someone already said here, MH caters to it's characters and with that, it does well. Can it improve? Sure. But I feel like they have been doing well with each subsequent update they've done.

Anoregon

No elements from PoE please. I can't stand that game, mostly because of the things xra listed

I actually don't really like playing PoE at all, but it has lots of good ideas and design choices that I'd like to see in other games
that are actually fun

Anoregon

Also, this punisher review is really bringing the gun/military fans out of the woodwork. It is clearly very important to make sure every firearm and explosive looks and is used in the exact way it does in the real world, in a comic book game with magic and alien talking raccoons.

Gothos

I tried coming back to D3 now that the new season started. I lasted 25 levels. The game still feels so shallow and empty....

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I think what MH does, it does well for itself. D3 is a different game. Like someone already said here, MH caters to it's characters and with that, it does well. Can it improve? Sure. But I feel like they have been doing well with each subsequent update they've done.

Agreed. I might need to take a break from MH for awhile. What it does currently just isn't enough for me at the moment. I actually think I am just not hardcore enough to put in the time required to get anywhere in the game. I am not about to start farming bosses hoping the drop gods will help me out. I get my character to 60, play MM and IC to get some uniques and move on to the next one. While that is how I get my enjoyment out of the game, I realize that my lack of commitment to the farming grind will limit exactly how far I can go with any one particular character.

I understand that each game offers different things, and I like all three, (though I've spent the least amount of time with POE) but to play at the highest level in each of these games, you really are shoe-horned into whatever the best build(s) is/are at the moment.

That's always the case for these kind of games if you're looking for optimal builds for cutting edge content. We raided greens in the past with Punishers or Cyclops (pre-review), and you know you're intentionally gimping the group taking those players on. Similar to how you know you're gimping the raid group when you invite Kepow.

One massive distinction between Marvel Heroes and Diablo 3 is the former actual aims to be an MMO, with all the pros and cons associated with that. You have raids which is something we've never really seen for this kind of game. You have large hubs where you can inspect/interact/trade with other players. You have general game content that is definitely instanced, but you randomly pop in and out with other characters. Kepow is free to enrage the entire community at once in chat with his "observations" about minority groups.

Diablo 3 is a four player (max) grouping game. You aren't going to get anything beyond that, no matter what you want to do. Yes, it's super easy to jump in and out of games. Yes, the clan system is fun for chatting with others and seeing what uniques and set pieces they've acquired. But that's all there is to it. It's like having Kepow promise to throw you a massive party with all his friends, but when he opens the door all you see his 70 year old neighbor on the couch, and a 340 pound trucker named Billy Ray hovering over the punch bowl. Nobody else is coming to that party.

------

There are a few areas where I think Diablo 3 is much better than Marvel Heroes, and those are where I most want to see MH grow:

1) Itemization - really no comparison. D3 wins in a landslide. Items can change your build completely. They make your character look way cooler. I get a better reward feeling when a shiny orange lands in D3 than I do in MH. It's like showing up to raid night and finding out that Kepow was called into work and can't make it...your endorphins spike.

2) Endless dungeon challenge mode - a total must for this sort of game. It's obviously coming, but probably not until summer time. And this being Gaz, it will be broken beyond belief. Expecting the mode to launch in a functional state is like expecting Kepow not to make racist remarks while he causes our raid group to wipe...it ain't happening.

3) General polish - MH being a "new" franchise while D3 has years of past game development cycles and debugging explains this, but come on! It is a 100% guarantee that any major content push or patch will completely break parts of MH. Guaranteed. You can set your watch to it. It's as predictable as inviting Kepow home to meet your parents for the first time and knowing they will be offended enough to disown you and cut you out of the will altogether. He's going to knock over that urn on the mantlepiece and he's going to tell your dad that you can milk anything with nipples. You might as well skip dating him in the first place, just like you might as well skip playing MH the day after a patch drops. Nothing good can come from this.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
from what im reading iceman is pretty shit range wise which is a dissapointment. also his signature fucking sucks.

hahaha omg this is great

punhunchesreview_zpsvafbkd0x.jpg

dat neck

from what im reading iceman is pretty shit range wise which is a dissapointment. also his signature fucking sucks.

1045.gif

KePoW's party sounds fun.

D3's itemization is cool, and I like that if I get all 6 pieces of a set (5 with a RoRG) and a great weapon/shield I can totally change my abilities around a certain set of powers or damage types. The problem is I can't even bring myself to play long enough, or on a high enough difficulty to get those items. MH has a much better drop-rate, so it would be cool to see more itemization, but there are just so many heroes I can't see them doing more than the occasional 2 per character that exist now.

Danger Room/Endless Dungeon is going to be great, I hope it's a little bit like Rifts/Greater Rifts in Diablo.

The polish I don't think we'll ever get. Gaz just doesn't have enough personnel to assure a smooth release every patch. Maybe if we let them release those limited edition costumes like free market capitalism should allow, they'd be able to hire some more QA people. It's very striking to play both D3 and MH in one night, and immediately feel the difference in smoothness of frames and movement. I'm alternating nights I play just so I don't go insane.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
his spirit issues are insane. his summon golem looks nothing like the pic they had posted his summon tree is a waste no summon attack skills. the range skills are pretty much copy paste cyclops skills. they are basically all ice beams he doesnt have like a snow flurry /icecle flurry. only decent range ice skill is the ice orb but its too slow.

so he has one summon skill but has a summon build lol (passive)

Iceman's Signature involves him showing off his awesome talent, creating an unstable statue of himself that enemies can't resist looking at in awe, which then explodes in icy shards.

sorry but LOL

they have really dropped the ball with winter soldier and now iceman. following the trend of last year where nightcrawler came out pretty shit and changed for better after moonknight. dissapointing really

oh and x men insignias cannot be equipped on him

It's his summons that are really bad and mostly pointless.

His range is fine, I guess, but it's basically just Cyclops with an ice skin.

His melee is where you currently want to go, great animations for them too.

His sig does pretty good damage but he just makes a giant ice sculpture of himself, it shakes for a few seconds then explodes. I can understand what they were going for but it hasn't come off.

He has little to no health regen (apart from one power with a cd) so although he can take a hit unless you're devouring medkits his health never gets back up to full during a fight so you can die pretty easily.

Overall I'm honestly not sure what to think about him.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I'm finding X-23 a lot more fun than Wolverine.
At level 25, at least.

Hopefully it remains this way 'til 60.

On Iceman? Isn't he a core X-person at this point?!

Crazy Gaz.

he uses an alloy core too lmao

KePoW

Banned
they have really dropped the ball with winter soldier and now iceman. following the trend of last year where nightcrawler came out pretty shit and changed for better after moonknight. dissapointing really

to be fair, Venom turned out good and played very fun

But you're certainly right there have been several other duds with new characters when first released

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
to be fair, Venom turned out good and played very fun

But you're certainly right there have been several other duds with new characters when first released

my point was early last year heroes started out shit and got better seems this year is following the trend. i think ill just wait for vision.

also rogues stolen iceman power is his golem power.

Anoregon

Tragicomedy's Kepow salt is so strong it just raised my blood pressure.

hahhaha I always laugh like krazy when you throw jabs & haymakers at me. I hate to admit u r funny as heck

You are my best friend forever. Remember that night I joined your voice server and we talked about music and comic nerds? It changed me forever. But for real, the Rolling Stones > Led Zeppelin. It's not even really a debate, bro.

Tragicomedy's Kepow salt is so strong it just raised my blood pressure.

More like soy sauce than salt. Duck sauce? Am I doing it right, Kepow?

Anoregon

Zeppelin is absolutely, objectively a better band than the stones. Kepow is right to troll you until the end of time.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
really cant get into iceman he feels more blatant rip off than anything gaz has done so far (copy/paste)

6nWSiEa.png

even looks like silver surfer lol looks far to same

someone made this mashup and it makes sense

2vsKghM.png

uncanny-x-men-47-iceman-forming-ice-slides-1-100k.jpg

Iceman_SpideyAF_h4.jpg

Anoregon

I'd probably just play him melee anyway though, and that spec is apparently is pretty good atm.

his spirit issues are insane. his summon golem looks nothing like the pic they had posted his summon tree is a waste no summon attack skills. the range skills are pretty much copy paste cyclops skills. they are basically all ice beams he doesnt have like a snow flurry /icecle flurry. only decent range ice skill is the ice orb but its too slow.

so he has one summon skill but has a summon build lol (passive)

sorry but LOL

oh and x men insignias cannot be equipped on him

Have you played him yourself or are you just quoting the complainers on the TC forums?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Have you played him yourself or are you just quoting the complainers on the TC forums?

played tc last night i was farming for few weeks getting items ready hes by far my fav xmen hero and so far hes turned out pretty dam shit

and ffs two of his skills are physical damge so again power fucking cosmic

Anoregon

They specifically confirmed he would be 100% energy not too long ago, so I would be very surprised if those two abilities don't get changed by the time he goes live.

Also, I forgot that Thing i line for the next review after Punisher is done. Kepow must be so excited!

I wonder what they are going to do with him. Hopefully something fun and interesting.

It's too bad I've had shit random costume RNG lately. I'd totally force myself to get Thing to orange if I ended up with a Fear Itself costume.

played tc last night i was farming for few weeks getting items ready hes by far my fav xmen hero and so far hes turned out pretty dam shit

and ffs two of his skills are physical damge so again power fucking cosmic

I can't agree that he's shit. Yeah his damage isn't Cap/Hulk levels but it's still decent.

I don't think we should expect every new hero to exceed Hulk's level or to even match it.

Iceman has great animations, his melee build is nice, his ranged is good even if it's nothing special or inventive. It's only his summon build that is pointless imo.

Also aren't the the physical tags a mistake? I haven't read a dev commentating on them so that's what I'd assume. If they are meant to be physical then I can agree with that point, that would be stupid.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I can't agree that he's shit. Yeah his damage isn't Cap/Hulk levels but it's still decent.

I don't think we should expect every new hero to exceed Hulk's level or to even match it.

Iceman has great animations, his melee build is nice, his ranged is good even if it's nothing special or inventive. It's only his summon build that is pointless imo.

Also aren't the the physical tags a mistake? I haven't read a dev commentating on them so that's what I'd assume. If they are meant to be physical then I can agree with that point, that would be stupid.

my problem is hes to beamy not enough icey, most of his skills are complete rip offs from others i know other heroes are samey but christ they look similar and feel simlar. that iceslide looks practically the same as silver surfer

Zeppelin is absolutely, objectively a better band than the stones. Kepow is right to troll you until the end of time.

Negative, Ghost Rider.

Gimme Shelter alone is better than the entire Led Zep catalogue. Don't get me started on Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Angie, Wild Horses, Beast of Burden, Sympathy for the Devil, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, and You Can’t Always Get What You Want. I told Kepow this last night, but the Rolling Stones are in a very weird situation where they are universally loved and yet still somehow vastly underrated. They have so many incredible albums and songs.

What does it say that the garbage song Stairway to Heaven is the most famous Led Zep song? What does it say that they are fighting a losing lawsuit to the band that actually wrote the song and will have to settle for umpteen million dollars? They should probably have spent less time ripping off and mining all the popular blues riffs of their era literally note for note and instead write songs that were actually good. But they didn't. They stole shit. Fuck em.

I'll still listen to Tangerine. Everything else is totally forgettable.

Top Bottom