• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
On the Marvel side that's pretty true. It's right below Marvel vs. Capcom, some pinball games, Ultimate Alliance and Lego Marvel.

arent all the marvel fighting games (the capcom ones at least) rated in the 90s? Unless you only looked for the word "Marvel"

The best Spider-Man game, which was a crazy hit, is only an 87. So I don't think it's hyperbole to say Marvel Heroes is ONE of the best super hero video games.

I'll get back to you next week with the full report, Rhaknar. ;)

VUb8TiN.png

edit: can't forget DC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_based_on_DC_Comics

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
xmen children of the aton
xmen vs sf
marvel heroes
marvel heroes vs sf
marvel vs capcom
marvel vs capcom 2
marvel vs capcom 3
ultimate mvc3
spiderman 2
xmen legends
xmen legends 2
marvel ultimate alliance
marvel ultimate alliance 2
lego marvel

thats just off the top of my head, I remember all of those being in the mid 80s / 90s in most sites. And im not going into the 16bit era with games like x-Men 2 (man that was awesome). granted, most of the marvel games were movie tie ins which 99% of the time are shit (that wolverine game was cool tho)

Im not shitting on MH. just thought it was a funny statement

All those 1990s games are lower than 90 metacritic for sure. X-Men Legends is the only X-Men game rated higher than MH, and I listed most of the others you said. I mean if you count every individual game in each series, sure Marvel Heroes isn't even in the top 10 of all super hero games, but if you look purely at IP i.e. Marvel vs. Capcom series, Ultimate Alliance series, MH is solidly there.

Spiderman 2 for PS2 has an 80 metacritic.

The sad fact is that licensed superhero games are not very good in general.

Wallach

xmen children of the aton
xmen vs sf
marvel heroes
marvel heroes vs sf
marvel vs capcom
marvel vs capcom 2
marvel vs capcom 3
ultimate mvc3
spiderman 2
xmen legends
xmen legends 2
marvel ultimate alliance
marvel ultimate alliance 2
lego marvel

thats just off the top of my head, I remember all of those being in the mid 80s / 90s in most sites. And im not going into the 16bit era with games like x-Men 2 (man that was awesome). granted, most of the marvel games were movie tie ins which 99% of the time are shit (that wolverine game was cool tho)

Remember that Metacritic is an aggregate for a wide net nowadays. UMVC3 for example only has an 80.

You also have to take metacritic scores for things from years past with a pretty big grain of salt.

Oh for sure, but even factoring that in doesn't take away from the statement that MH is in fact one of the most "highly rated superhero experiences of all time," which, as discussed, is rather toothless since almost all superhero games have been mediocre or bad.

Also I don't know if anyone ever played Spider-Man and X-Men in Arcade's Revenge, but I had it for Game Gear, and I think I'm developing PTSD from just thinking about it again. Also another game I remember really liking but got pretty bad reviews after looking it up is X2: Wolverine's Revenge, which I played on GC. I remember really enjoying that. Then again, I also really liked Deadpool.

Anyway, we got way off track with that, but I have no problem with someone making the statement that Marvel Heroes is one of the best superhero games of all time. It's objectively true.

Oh for sure, but even factoring that in doesn't take away from the statement that MH is in fact one of the most "highly rated superhero experiences of all time," which, as discussed, is rather toothless since almost all superhero games have been mediocre or bad.

It think it's an even sillier claim considering it's a second review of the same game, even if it has been drastically revised over time. Rebranding the game with an added year on the end was a great marketing ploy to circumvent early negative reviews, but the game wasn't magically better under that moniker. It's been a slow and steady set of improvements to reach this point. I'm fine with reviewers choosing to revisit their earlier scores, but you have to be pretty stupid not to see through the name change as a consumer.

I do agree that the current game is awesome, but I enjoyed it even in its darkest days.

KePoW

Banned
It think it's an even sillier claim considering it's a second review of the same game, even if it has been drastically revised over time. Rebranding the game with an added year on the end was a great marketing ploy to circumvent early negative reviews, but the game wasn't magically better under that moniker. It's been a slow and steady set of improvements to reach this point. I'm fine with reviewers choosing to revisit their earlier scores, but you have to be pretty stupid not to see through the name change as a consumer.

I do agree that the current game is awesome, but I enjoyed it even in its darkest days.

ya buddie i kinda agree with some but don't really see ur point

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There should be a marvel dating sim where you roll around as wolverine trying (or succeeding) to bang like a third of the marvel universe.

Just now got around to retesting Iceman. He is a lot better.

His new sig animation isn't as good as the animation of some of his other powers but it makes much more sense as his sig than the old thing.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Life hack: don't give a fuck about metacritic ratings because it's entirely arbitrary and ultimately meaningless.

Life hack: don't give a fuck about metacritic ratings because it's entirely arbitrary and ultimately meaningless.

That is very solid advice. The game community writ large doesn't follow it, though. Developers, publishers, reviewers, and gamers alike all consider those scores super important.

inky

Can't wait till Marvel Heroes 2016 goes down in score again.

By Marvel Heroes 2017 we'll actually have to get an average of the averages from all 4 "versions" of the game to judge it by ;P

Popped a stack of boosts last night when I played, including an Odin Boost, Omega Potion and an iBoost lol.. Made about 300 Omegas last night which was awesome.

Got 4 Blessings of Odin while running Taskmaster! Ended up with TWO Ultimate Upgrade Tokens too, which was nice for Hulk.

Sblargh

Banned
Marvel Heroes is a great case study of how to turn things around for good, regardless of how you may be feeling about the game right now.

And I mean, c'mon, they released winter soldier, people voiced complains and two weeks later, now he is a good character to play. Gaz might not be saints and weekly patches create one of the biggest issues with the game right now, which are weekly weird bugs (apparently they had to turn off save the civilians SQ this week due to just not working), but still; almost every single week, the game improves a little bit.

I think people here are experiencing an overdose, actually, lol. It's like, you play the same game, every day, for some one or two hours a day, eventually the little things that annoy you overcome the fact that this is, indeed, a dream of a marvel game.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Marvel Heroes is a great case study of how to turn things around for good, regardless of how you may be feeling about the game right now.

And I mean, c'mon, they released winter soldier, people voiced complains and two weeks later, now he is a good character to play. Gaz might not be saints and weekly patches create one of the biggest issues with the game right now, which are weekly weird bugs (apparently they had to turn off save the civilians SQ this week due to just not working), but still; almost every single week, the game improves a little bit.

I think people here are experiencing an overdose, actually, lol. It's like, you play the same game, every day, for some one or two hours a day, eventually the little things that annoy you overcome the fact that this is, indeed, a dream of a marvel game.

that civillian bug has been reporting 2 weeks ago which they turned it off then and said a fix would be in next patch

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
in fact heres the post

We have live-tuned off the shared quest for today since the Save Civilians component cannot be completed due to a bug. A fix for the bug has been checked in, and our expectation is that everything will be functioning normally this time next week.

and this week its the same bug :D

in other news my location set at there forums is marvel bugs :D

im liking thse iceman chnages they actually did listen to feedback on him

CHANGES
Frozen Orb and Icy Arsenal attack speeds increased ~20%. This took a little longer than expected since the powers had to be re-arted, but both are now increased. this is a very sesual change

Absolute Zero now makes Iceman invulnerable during the entire duration of the power. The visuals are also complete!

Ice Wall now, when the player has chosen Construct Focus, explodes when struck with a Shatter power. This will give Shatter powers use and meaning to Construct builds by way of creating a unique 1-2 punch.

Snowblower is no longer a Basic power, and now moves Iceman while channeling, creating a mobile force of snowy death. Snowblower was noted as not having a position in the current iteration, so this will position it as a mobile alternative for easy clearing.

Shatter powers now have no cooldown by default, and gain a 3 second cooldown with their respective passive. This will help smoothen the rotation for builds in regards to when to use a Shatter. They should no longer consume stacks of Chill unless 5 have been applied.

Flash Freeze now has a 4 second cooldown and no spirit cost, and scales the damage bonus with power ranks. Fixed a bug causing Flash Freeze's damage bonus to not apply. This positions Flash Freeze as a strong utility power and alternative layer.

Ice Block now will automatically activate if Ice Man is defeated, resurrecting him back to full health and spirit.

Icicles tooltip should now display properly, and has a Spirit cost.

Glacial Slam should now bypass all terrain elevation and pathing blockers. Cooldown reduced to 6 seconds. Weaken added, which has been removed from Icy Arsenal.

Work of Art no longer has timing issues when the player has bonus power duration. It is no longer considered a Ranged power, and now gains bonus damage based on your Summoned Ally Bonus Damage.

Frozen Blades is now a Basic attack.

Frost Nova's passive effect converted to give bonus to Chilled instead of Slowed.

Ice Beam is now an Area power.

Ice Slide's animation has been updated to include more dips and rises instead of travelling at the same elevation

Chill visuals have been updated.

STASH icon corrected from Hawkeye to Iceman.

Age of Icemen now creates the same ice clone, which can fire one of two powers, rather than creating two different types of ice clones.

Indignate

Weekly weird bugs? Emma's minion power is still broken and Tippy Toe took months to fix.

The biggest drawback that this game takes in the F2P area is that the problems that don't beset income get put on the lowest of low priorities list.

Sblargh

Banned
Well, I didn't played any version of Winter Soldier, but a bunch of people said that he is a good character, now. Which means declarius is wrong.

Look, they need a way better way to do QA; that's a given and we've spoken about it before, my point is: this *is* a damn good Marvel game, by a team that listened to feedback to turn crap into a game that has been a very and enjoyable ride for me for many months now and that continues to do so.

It is a good game, one that well deserved all the accolades for how the product was handled since a bad release and, I believe, still deserves accolade for how it is handled each time new hero or content is released.

I saw in the chat last night that lots of people were having trouble completing the Save Civilians quest thing.

Guess I didn't get affected, I started a group in MM for the Daily SQ and within 10 minutes it was all done.

Dec

His melee build is great, and better than range from what I understand. It's just buggy and unreliable because of bugs.

His melee build is great, and better than range from what I understand. It's just buggy and unreliable because of bugs.

I'd like to try it, but like you say, the whiffing on attacks would get old fast. Ranged feels more reliable (even if damage is a bit less or whatever).

Training Room was added to the hub list on the waypoint.

By the way, anyone tried Punisher on the TC? Impressions, plox.

Flamethrower spec is Cap review levels of good (Yup, I'm going there). Going to try the recently reworked Ol' Painless spec now, will post more after.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Marvel-Heroes-Datamine-04.03.x2.png

movie groot team up

and next event is a week of midtown madness so
ok for iceman i guess

The next event is a week of Midtown Madness while we gear up for next week's event.

Nice. Week of Midtown Madness will be great. I'm not often around Monday night's lately to make the most/anything of MM, so this will be great (especially, as you mention, for gearing/leveling Bobby).

Now we're talking, Iceman has finally come together. Aside from some pretty big spirit issues (which they'll hopefully fix before release), he feels thorough and complete. Biggest hero turnaround within a single pre-release testing period, I'm impressed.

You try him yet Queen? I can't imagine this build not washing all that salt away.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Now we're talking, Iceman has finally come together. Aside from some pretty big spirit issues (which they'll hopefully fix before release), he feels thorough and complete. Biggest hero turnaround within a single pre-release testing period, I'm impressed.

You try him yet Queen? I can't imagine this build not washing all that salt away.

yup was just on tc. like others have said his spirit is huge big deal which hopefully gets some change there but overall he needed thse changes and its good gaz listened and dealt with them quikcly and effectively unlike with winter soldier.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom