• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I got another jean grey token, so I now have 2 sitting in my stash. I should probably level her to 52.

So I've been debating which character I should target to get to 60 after I'm done with Venom (who is at 50 atm).
My 60s currently are Cyclops for the XP synergy, Punisher (as of today yay), Loki, Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman.
I started a few characters and got them to 40 (Panther, Cable, Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Magneto, Juggernaut, Nightcrawler, Rocket, Nova, Star-Lord and Surfer), everybody else is at 30.

I'm leaning towards doing Juggernaut next since he seems just straight out great, but maybe I'm missing a good synergy or something.

Indignate

Why are we talking about bot games?

Just get in there and play against real people alongside real people so you can all yell at each other and Dec can call someone a fuck.

*Warning. Marvel Heroes related post.*

Ryolnir has mentioned both Widow and Hawkeye are getting updates in time for AoU's release. Hoping for some really solid changes for Hawkeye. Dude is in desperate need of them.

KePoW

Banned
So I've been debating which character I should target to get to 60 after I'm done with Venom (who is at 50 atm).
My 60s currently are Cyclops for the XP synergy, Punisher (as of today yay), Loki, Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman.
I started a few characters and got them to 40 (Panther, Cable, Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Magneto, Juggernaut, Nightcrawler, Rocket, Nova, Star-Lord and Surfer), everybody else is at 30.

I'm leaning towards doing Juggernaut next since he seems just straight out great, but maybe I'm missing a good synergy or something.

Silver Surfer

Made a video with some glitches present in today's Marvel Heroes. At the beginning you can see the slight tearing going on with Brood Wolverine's highlight on the floor. Nothing bad just noticeable.

Next, the biggest problem: health orbs no longer give health. Some times they will but 90% of the time, nothing. I show several examples of it.

Then the Punisher's fire glitch. Really annoying since it completely blocks my view of my character and most of the other enemies. I didn't manage to capture it but several times I was killed because I didn't see a villain charging up a power or a run because the black boxes hid it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4bpLVyXUJw

Aww yiss

pUYdtA8.png

Some gameplay shots:

oaaUpAD.png

IzEqgYJ.png

41G5C7W.png

I love it, it seems they took a lot of cues from MvC3.

dare I say stole capcom's concept completely.. but I luvvv it. <3

What bug?

V

Made a video with some glitches present in today's Marvel Heroes. At the beginning you can see the slight tearing going on with Brood Wolverine's highlight on the floor. Nothing bad just noticeable.

Next, the biggest problem: health orbs no longer give health. Some times they will but 90% of the time, nothing. I show several examples of it.

Then the Punisher's fire glitch. Really annoying since it completely blocks my view of my character and most of the other enemies. I didn't manage to capture it but several times I was killed because I didn't see a villain charging up a power or a run because the black boxes hid it.

I'm always surprised at how these things suddenly appear. Like, what change did they make to orbs that suddenly made health orbs do nothing? And why no testing if said change affected them?

Ok. Of all the issues MH has every patch this seems like one that should've been caught and addressed before going live.

I'm always surprised at how these things suddenly appear. Like, what change did they make to orbs that suddenly made health orbs do nothing? And why no testing if said change affected them?

The thing is, they create a build for Test Center which is a combination of various builds they have internally. When the TC build goes up, they quickly look for any bugs that'll make the game unplayable. If there are no emergencies, and they need to release the patch the next day, it gets OK'd as-is. This then leaves any outstanding bugs we report to then fall into the next patch or two to be fixed.

The big problem with all of this is that Gaz is really inefficient at putting together builds. I don't know if it's their weekly patch schedule, bad managing of the build branches, or that they just don't have enough staff to work on these things. Whatever it is, don't expect it to ever change.

Dec

Impossible for us to know exactly where the problem lies but they seem incapable of releasing fast patches.

When a Dota patch comes out it is followed by like 5+ within 4 hours that might be only 30kb, just to fix some tiny thing.

Marvel Heroes you just know you're going to have to wait a full 7 days, maybe 4 days if it's something a lot of people are having problems with.

Obviously there are many for-money tournaments going on in Dota so it needs to be bug free, but the fact that they have the ability to patch 50+ times in a 24 hour period is just amazing compared to MH.

Wallach

I'm a little confused by the first minute or so of this video. None of the things you are picking up are health orbs. I'm not 100% certain what they are; I'd need to see what your Omega allocation and equipment looks like, but they are definitely one of the proc orb spawns that grant some form of buff instead of health. If you go to 0:52, you can see a health orb near the bottom of the screen, which is different visually from the orbs you are collecting.

KePoW

Banned
Impossible for us to know exactly where the problem lies but they seem incapable of releasing fast patches.

When a Dota patch comes out it is followed by like 5+ within 4 hours that might be only 30kb, just to fix some tiny thing.

Marvel Heroes you just know you're going to have to wait a full 7 days, maybe 4 days if it's something a lot of people are having problems with.

Obviously there are many for-money tournaments going on in Dota so it needs to be bug free, but the fact that they have the ability to patch 50+ times in a 24 hour period is just amazing compared to MH.

I'm the biggest critic of MH's coders, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of video games do not patch as often as above

that seems unheard of typically

I'm a little confused by the first minute or so of this video. None of the things you are picking up are health orbs. I'm not 100% certain what they are; I'd need to see what your Omega allocation and equipment looks like, but they are definitely one of the proc orb spawns that grant some form of buff instead of health. If you go to 0:52, you can see a health orb near the bottom of the screen, which is different visually from the orbs you are collecting.

Pretty sure that's the invuln orb from the Circlet artifact.

Dec

I'm the biggest critic of MH's coders, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of video games do not patch as often as above

that seems unheard of typically

Because few developers are as efficient as Valve. Marvel Heroes being on the other end of the spectrum. I was pointing out what is possible vs. what Gazillion puts out in terms of build releases.

If that is the circlet orb, it has been broken for a really long time. The orb proc isn't reliable at all, I don't even bother picking it up anymore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
We all will care when they are released. For now it's easier to forget about them. I haven't even read any of the *more recently* spoiled achievements.

no we wont all care, because there are those of us that think achievements are a ridiculous idea in the first place (in any game)

no we wont all care, because there are those of us that think achievements are a ridiculous idea in the first place (in any game)

Says the guy who does dailies to get gold to unlock heroes in HOTS :p

In the end, all games are just achieving bits of 1's and 0's.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Says the guy who does dailies to get gold to unlock heroes in HOTS :p

In the end, all games are just achieving bits of 1's and 0's.

what the fuck does that have to do with achievements? I also have all the heroes in Marvel. Thats completely different than "Do this terminal 5 times for a message to pop up saying "you did it!"

I never understood the appeal of achievements and I never will. Ive heard people actually say "ugh I hate doing X thing, but its a achievement so ill do it" lolwhut o_O

But thats me of course

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know a dude who pretty much won't play a game if it doesn't have achievements. They are his primary motivator in any game he is playing.

Like I said, achievement collecting and item/hero collecting seem very similar to me (but that's just me). It's just weird that you'd begrudge others for playing the way they might want to play. I apologize for saying "we all" previously.

Rhaknar

Like I said, achievement collecting and item/hero collecting seem very similar to me (but that's just me). It's just weird that you'd begrudge others for playing the way they might want to play. I apologize for saying "we all" previously.

where was I begrudging anyone? I said I dont understand it. I didnt say they were wrong or shouldnt like it. wtf?

Sblargh

Banned
I like achievements as landmarks of cool stuff that happened in the game. Won't mind the omega points, either.

My favorite achievement is still Civilization V's:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles

Because basically it is next to impossible to farm it; maybe with 3 players playing a game just so one of them can get this exact scenario, but I don't know if you can get achievements like this on civ.

Anyway, according to Steam, 0,2% of the players have it and I like that it is there just as a notification in case it happens. "Hey, look, you kind of recreated Indiana Jones completely by accident".

I like achievements as landmarks of cool stuff that happened in the game. Won't mind the omega points, either.

My favorite achievement is still Civilization V's:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles

Because basically it is next to impossible to farm it; maybe with 3 players playing a game just so one of them can get this exact scenario, but I don't know if you can get achievements like this on civ.

Anyway, according to Steam, 0,2% of the players have it and I like that it is there just as a notification in case it happens. "Hey, look, you kind of recreated Indiana Jones completely by accident".

Yeah I really like the Civ ones.

where was I begrudging anyone? I said I dont understand it. I didnt say they were wrong or shouldnt like it. wtf?

You called them ridiculous.

Rhaknar

Your opinions often read like mandates imho.

I dont know what your problem with me is, but the ignore buton is right over there. Nowhere in my post did I mention anyone, I merely talked about a game system (a game system that isnt even specific to this, its a general thing). And my posts sounding like mandates, well... I dont even know how to reply to that. This is a mandate:

1. An authoritative command or instruction.
2. A command or authorization given by a political electorate to the winner of an election.
a. A commission from the League of Nations authorizing a member nation to administer a territory.
b. A region under such administration.
4. Law The specific directive issued by a reviewing court to a lower court, as in requiring the lower court to enter a new judgment or to conduct further proceedings consistent with the reviewing court's ruling.

anyway, I shall now go put food in my body, if thats not too mandate-y of course

Indignate

Achievements usually don't give you anything. Items and especially new characters add to the gameplay.

I don't know how you can equate unlocking a new hero or mode or whatever to getting an achievement or trophy.

Dec

I give no fucks about achievements, which really limited my enjoyment of Guild Wars 2 where the achievements are the entire fucking game.

Thankfully with achievements being added so long after the game was out, it is really unlikely they become a massive mechanic in the actual gameplay.

My main problem with achievements in Marvel Heroes is the work that has gone into creating them vs. how much they actually matter.

Achievements usually don't give you anything. Items and especially new characters add to the gameplay.

I don't know how you can equate unlocking a new hero or mode or whatever to getting an achievement or trophy.

It's merely a construct to chase. Some people want to have the best dps, some people want to raid, some only farm terminals. Some crazy people in this game even pvp. Achievements are just a different way people play games. If one plays action games is it more correct to just finish the game or go for high scores?

In the end people play games to get enjoyment out of them. Collecting an achievement or collecting enough splinters for a hero are means to the same end. I don't really see why playing for achievements is ridiculous vs. playing for some other goal.

But I do agree with Dec that their inclusion should never take away from the core gameplay.

Top Bottom