• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
X-Defense will be removed from the shared quests next week. Short Term: Holo-Sim will be the only thing in this shared quest slot. Long term: We will iterate on that slot (and likely others) to keep adding as much fun factor as possible while removing frustration factor. (BTW, that is the entire equation of game design, so now you can build your own game).

Age of Ultron's impact will be smaller(compared to Thor 2:Dark World) (no new hub, no story chapter), but we will have a game mode with a new boss and new enemies, new costumes, some character updates.
:D

After two hours with Bloodborne, I can safely recommend you skip it, Kepow. It's crazy hard with high frustration factor. The frame rate is rough and there's half a minute of load time every time you sure, which is often.

The world is amazing and the enemies rule, but I'm like you in the sense that I hate super hard games in my old age. I would have loved it ten years ago.

I'll give it another shot over the next few days to see if it clicks. If not, I'll unload out for cheap to someone on GAF.

Sblargh

Banned
So, either no one ever will do x-def or only those 2 or 3 people who randomly complains that they want to do more than 16 waves!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
After two hours with Bloodborne, I can safely recommend you skip it, Kepow. It's crazy hard with high frustration factor. The frame rate is rough and there's half a minute of load time every time you sure, which is often.

The world is amazing and the enemies rule, but I'm like you in the sense that I hate super hard games in my old age. I would have loved it ten years ago.

I'll give it another shot over the next few days to see if it clicks. If not, I'll unload out for cheap to someone on GAF.

Sounds like someone's first souls game. Grow a pair Tragic I'm older than you and I made those games my bitch

Well I didn't, I'm pretty average at them but I did finish them all multiple times

So, either no one ever will do x-def or only those 2 or 3 people who randomly complains that they want to do more than 16 waves!

I pugged to 32 last night on a whim. It's pointless.

Sounds like someone's first souls game. Grow a pair Tragic I'm older than you and I made those games my bitch

Well I didn't, I'm pretty average at them but I did finish them all multiple times

V3lipls.jpg

I'm all about that fun escapism in gaming. I'll give it another try, but I'm not about that hardcore gaming life. Enough stress in the real world.

KePoW

Banned

Yeah I was reading in the OT, that's exactly what it sounds like from people

Apparently using a bunch of boosts with the server boost was too much for my computer. Had a pretty wicked crash and I couldn't get it to react except for hearing a fan inside start and stop. I unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and it started the boot sequence and then went to no video signal. A minute or two later it randomly pops up exactly how it was when it crashed. Game still on in the same state and other stuff in the background. That was super weird. But then the game itself crashed, Steam crashed, and a bunch of errors came up. Possibly had my hard drive die since my secondary drive where I store games and such no longer showed up. I'm restarting again but I don't have great hope.

Let that be a lesson to anyone that goes into the boosting day with 1,000%+ experience boost. It will destroy hard drives.

Thanks, Gaz.

Edit: Everything appears to work after this latest reset. Thanks, Gaz!

Apparently using a bunch of boosts with the server boost was too much for my computer. Had a pretty wicked crash and I couldn't get it to react except for hearing a fan inside start and stop. I unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and it started the boot sequence and then went to no video signal. A minute or two later it randomly pops up exactly how it was when it crashed. Game still on in the same state and other stuff in the background. That was super weird. But then the game itself crashed, Steam crashed, and a bunch of errors came up. Possibly had my hard drive die since my secondary drive where I store games and such no longer showed up. I'm restarting again but I don't have great hope.

Let that be a lesson to anyone that goes into the boosting day with 1,000%+ experience boost. It will destroy hard drives.

Thanks, Gaz.

Edit: Everything appears to work after this latest reset. Thanks, Gaz!

Hard drives can generally be a bitch, and if they run too hot or decide to not work, even for just a few moments, your system freezes up pretty bad - even if it's a secondary hard drive. My main system's on a faulty drive, been that way for years, and I haven't been able to replace the drive yet due to $ (would not only need a new drive but also a new OS key cuz this one's linked to the system it's on).

I doubt that the XP boosts were any issue here, just generally the memory overload from using Marvel Heroes, Steam and whatever else you had running in the background. The game doesn't load the XP onto your system, that's all processed serverside. The only thing that would be loaded onto your drive in relation to that would be XP orbs, and they're very minor (especially since the XP orb graphic has to be loaded in only once, and just duplicated).
Essentially, visual and audio assets are stored and loaded from your hard drive, everything else is stored server-side, and just displayed onto your system.

I would like to see Psylockes character model get scrapped and re-built from scratch. She is so ugly in this game.
What is it about her default costume you dislike? The sword?
I really dislike the monochromatic color scheme. Everything's an ugly shade of purple. The fact that she's wearing purple lipstick is just too much.

I prefer the blue coloring of her classic outfit with dark hair that's purple in certain lighting (with highlights or whatever). Either way the outfit she has in game is too bright.

1023099-psylocke_by_ross_a_campbell.jpg

Hard drives can generally be a bitch, and if they run too hot or decide to not work, even for just a few moments, your system freezes up pretty bad - even if it's a secondary hard drive. My main system's on a faulty drive, been that way for years, and I haven't been able to replace the drive yet due to $ (would not only need a new drive but also a new OS key cuz this one's linked to the system it's on).

I doubt that the XP boosts were any issue here, just generally the memory overload from using Marvel Heroes, Steam and whatever else you had running in the background. The game doesn't load the XP onto your system, that's all processed serverside. The only thing that would be loaded onto your drive in relation to that would be XP orbs, and they're very minor (especially since the XP orb graphic has to be loaded in only once, and just duplicated).
Essentially, visual and audio assets are stored and loaded from your hard drive, everything else is stored server-side, and just displayed onto your system.

Oh, I was entirely kidding. The game doesn't tax my system all that much though if there's a ton of enemies gathered and exploding in Midtown it can chug a bit then. But it died right when I got back into Avenger's Tower so I didn't really figure it was the real issue. My computer was just being dumb.

Got Storm from 44 to 60 and Human Torch from 14 to 51 tonight. I'll hop on after work and finish Human Torch and probably work on another towards level 60. Not really sure who to do. Suppose with all the boosts and such I should just aim to do a hero that's not considered all that good to get them to 60 without much effort.

Yeah I was reading in the OT, that's exactly what it sounds like from people

I just wanted to give you a fair warning since it sounded like you were going to buy a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne. My opinion is only based on ~2 hours of play, so it may change a ton over the next couple of days.

With the exception that I respect all people regardless of race, creed, or color, you and I have some things in common. Specifically, I don't think we derive a lot of pleasure from dying a million times in a game and waiting 30-40 seconds each time for the game to reload.

My only "accomplishment" so far in the game is I managed to purchase the first set of upgraded armor for my character. After clearing the first couple of areas, I doubled back and spent my blood currency on the gear since I figured I would lose it anyway upon dying. I didn't know that going back to the main hub would respawn all 30 or so enemies I had already killed. Damn. You really have to work your way through the areas cautiously and try to draw out a few enemies at a time to stay alive. I'm going to aim for reaching the first boss tonight so I can unlock the "level up" option and see if that sways things in my favor.

My mini review:
+ Great atmospherics and ambience
+ Enemy design is creepy and cool
+ Combat is responsive
- It ain't easy, bro
- The load times are ridiculous
- Jaggy graphics with plenty of stutter

Xevren

Hey if you're gonna sell it for cheap lemme know!

I'm gonna play through the original Dark Souls before I decide to buy a PS4. Too many games, and Marvel Heroes events don't help with the clearing of the backlog.

KePoW

Banned
I just wanted to give you a fair warning since it sounded like you were going to buy a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne. My opinion is only based on ~2 hours of play, so it may change a ton over the next couple of days.

With the exception that I respect all people regardless of race, creed, or color, you and I have some things in common. Specifically, I don't think we derive a lot of pleasure from dying a million times in a game and waiting 30-40 seconds each time for the game to reload.

thx

Yeah, I already ordered a PS4 from amazon and it should be arriving today. I was eventually going to get one anyway, so I'll still give BB a try. hopefully they patch the load times sometime soon, they said they're looking into it

Hey if you're gonna sell it for cheap lemme know!

Will do. Give me another day or so with the game to see if it clicks. If not, you have first dibs.

Yeah, I already ordered a PS4 from amazon and it should be arriving today. I was eventually going to get one anyway, so I'll still give BB a try. hopefully they patch the load times sometime soon, they said they're looking into it

I'm interested to hear your opinion on the game. I don't have a fully formed one yet, since the game appears to be a very slow burner that punishes you like crazy early on until you learn the mechanics. Everything is so obtuse and left unexplained for you to figure out on your own.

If you haven't already played The Last of Us, that recently took over the spot as my favorite game ever. We can also be FIFA bros when the new version releases later this year. PSN: Tragicomedy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm half convinced the load times are an intentional feature to punish you for getting smoked frequently. That's what it feels like, at least.

KePoW

Banned
Will do. Give me another day or so with the game to see if it clicks. If not, you have first dibs.

---

I'm interested to hear your opinion on the game. I don't have a fully formed one yet, since the game appears to be a very slow burner that punishes you like crazy early on until you learn the mechanics. Everything is so obtuse and left unexplained for you to figure out on your own.

If you haven't already played The Last of Us, that recently took over the spot as my favorite game ever. We can also be FIFA bros when the new version releases later this year. PSN: Tragicomedy.

I think it's a game you gotta give at least a week. I don't mean force yourself to play it... still take a break when it gets frustrating, but at least for a few days

Drayco21

After this week's New Avengers, I think I actually want to see Starbrand and Hyperion playable in this game. I didn't even like these characters before Time Runs Out.

Yeah, I already ordered a PS4 from amazon and it should be arriving today.

Yeah, buddie! Welcome to the true console master race!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe all the scrub talk in this thread. All these peasants who aren't pro MLG. I've played BB for about 3 hours and killed 2 bosses already. my advice: git gud.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Can't believe all the scrub talk in this thread. All these peasants who aren't pro MLG. I've played BB for about 3 hours and killed 2 bosses already. my advice: git gud.

plz teach me ur ways senpai

Why would I want to do that? I'm good at everything else. Video games are my break from being better than everyone else at everything that I do.

KePoW

Banned
Yeah, buddie! Welcome to the true console master race!

haha cool

I don't have any company loyalty to either MS or Sony, but I have preferred the 360 and XB1 only because of the controller design. I absolutely hate symmetrical analog sticks, so the Xbox asymmetrical design feels much more natural & comfortable

If the PS4 went with asymmetrical sticks (which they seriously considered), then I would have bought that first

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I think I might need a break from this game but I'm not sure how. In a very short time (3 weeks approx) I've taken 7 characters from level 1 to level 60. I'm really burned out. Also I can now tell how useless most everything in the game is. I'm sure if I did raids or ran cosmic, gear would matter. I took Starlord to 60 and never equipt anything on him and with just two powers would beat every daily mission and red terminals. Even soloed Bronx Zoo.

Right now I keep logging in the the daily log in reward and once I do that, I feel the need to atleast do the bare minimum for the event. Then something leads to another and I end up playing another 3 hours and I didn't really mean too. In the back of my head, I feel if I don't do them, I will become hopelessly behind.

There is nothing wrong with Marvel Heroes that needs to change. Its just after 1000+ hours, I see all the strings and limits and I'm not having fun. At least as much fun as I once did.

I do want to return and play new heroes and prestige a few heroes with new costumes. I did get a Thor Destroyer costume drop from MK1 card the other day. I have like 4 Thor costumes I want to run through. I just can't wrap my head around quitting and coming back.

I stopped playing for about 2-3 weeks and jumped back on yesterday. I had a good time, attempting to grind Punisher to 60. I got from 43-53 and had to stop. Even with the boosts, that 50-60 grind is a chore and half. I think that part of my issue is that when I play with AOE characters, I have a blast. When I play melee or characters with guns, I end up hating life. I loved Storm. I loved Thor too. I think that with so many characters coming out, there is a push to play with as many as possible, as soon as they are released. I think that may lead to more bad times than good.

Someone months ago told me in this thread to pick a handful of characters that I like and just play with them. I am finally going to take that advice.

If the PS4 went with asymmetrical sticks (which they seriously considered), then I would have bought that first

I hated past Dualshock controllers, so let me tell you how surprised I was to find the Dualshock 4 is the best console controller on the market. It's almost perfect. The built in headset connection is just icing on the cake.

The only downside is the battery life is laughably bad. I picked up a second controller just so I can keep one charging all the time when I'm playing with the other. I'm not saying you need two controllers, but if you plan on spending any significant amount of time playing the system you should look into it.

Either that or get yourself a 10 foot USB cable.

I stopped playing for about 2-3 weeks and jumped back on yesterday. I had a good time, attempting to grind Punisher to 60. I got from 43-53 and had to stop. Even with the boosts, that 50-60 grind is a chore and half. I think that part of my issue is that when I play with AOE characters, I have a blast. When I play melee or characters with guns, I end up hating life. I loved Storm. I loved Thor too. I think that with so many characters coming out, there is a push to play with as many as possible, as soon as they are released. I think that may lead to more bad times than good.

Yeah I really need a break after this event but She-Hulk comes out Thursday or Friday, and potentially more "can't miss" events will come the weeks following, and I just keep getting sucked back in. It'll happen eventually.

Xevren

I hated past Dualshock controllers, so let me tell you how surprised I was to find the Dualshock 4 is the best console controller on the market. It's almost perfect. The built in headset connection is just icing on the cake.

The only downside is the battery life is laughably bad. I picked up a second controller just so I can keep one charging all the time when I'm playing with the other. I'm not saying you need two controllers, but if you plan on spending any significant amount of time playing the system you should look into it.

Either that or get yourself a 10 foot USB cable.

I have the worst luck with DS4 pads, either the triggers get messed up fast or the sticks are defective. I have one good controller but pretty much gave up on a 2nd after getting 3 duds, annoying!

Anoregon

I'm pretty much taking a break atm, I've got bluburns and Pillars to mess with for a bit. Should be just the perfect amount of time to want to play again in time for Vision and Doom.

Anoregon

It's not really a reference to anything, other than maybe playing the game will get you so mad you will bite part of your tongue off resulting in a speech impediment.

Drayco21

Best team-up character for Psylocke/Venom and Spiderman? Was thinking about going with Draxx.

Since Team-Ups are going to be radically altered soon and we still don't know exactly what they're doing with all of them, just get whatever character you happen to like best.

Top Bottom