• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

When players in your game are running out off shit to do, adding more shit seems like the thing to do.

True, yet the new stuff is eerily similar to the old stuff, i.e. more grind as mentioned above.

It's probably quick and easy to add compared to something new so maybe it's supposed to tide over the player base until the newer/different stuff comes but honestly I doubt that.

I haven't heard of anything game changing that is coming down the pipeline (maybe achievements would fit that, maybe).

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
achievements arent changing anything, you still going to be farming kurse etc. they just have a safety net so you will get your gem sometime.

im not gonna bother with story achievements until the story revamp later this year. which hopefully comes with chapter 10.

im not sure on the ultron game mode yet, all we have been told is there will be a cosmic version on release and theirs 4 stages to this mode. we also know ultron is the boss due to the achievement for killing him x times.

danger room still not sure on

Indignate

Everything is going to be about killing things and farming things because everything will always have rare and better drops.

I'm not even sure it's possible to add content to an arpg that isn't this so I'm not sure what people mean when they say they want new things.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Everything is going to be about killing things and farming things because everything will always have rare and better drops.

I'm not even sure it's possible to add content to an arpg that isn't this so I'm not sure what people mean when they say they want new things.

just different things, there hasnt been story content in over a year. which is terrible with the amount of shit they could do. by the time chapter 10 comes we would of had 3 raids if they didnt change the ultron one.

ya know alot of people actually learnt more about the marvel universe and the heroes by playing story etc theres always posts about this on the official forums. it sucks how slow they are at giving us story content.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Diablo 3 solved this problem with Adventure mode a while ago. Adding more and more stuff to do once a day or week isn't only bloated design, it also isn't very efficient. They could have solves the content issue a long time ago if they'd worked on something like Rifts/Grifts, which it sounds like the Danger Room sort of is? We'll see.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Nah the random quests are just what people do until they get a Ring of Royal Grandeur. It's all about Rifts/Greater Rifts, which is just a random collection of floors with random tilesets and enemies until you kill enough enemies and the boss spawns.

Indignate

Nah the random quests are just what people do until they get a Ring of Royal Grandeur. It's all about Rifts/Greater Rifts, which is just a random collection of floors with random tilesets and enemies until you kill enough enemies and the boss spawns.

As someone who has never played it, it just sounds like you're doing the same thing but now you have to deal with random dungeons.

From what I remember hearing though, it seemed to breathe a lot of life back into the game for people. If it is actually something that feels different and Danger Room is able to capture that, I'm all for it.

Hopefully achievements hold me over for a bit if it helps to make me feel like I'm actually getting something done while I'm killing all the random nonsense.

Add me on Smite. It's the same name as here.

Sblargh

Banned
Random dungeons do work wonderful on this genre, tho. I think it was my favorite part of endgame PoE: getting a map, maybe craft it further to make it harder, but with more interesting reward.

What brings us to another problem with the current state with the game that is the loot is generally so boring. Artifacts are the only interesting loot, but they are tied to specific bosses which ties the only interesting loot with the grind of exactly the same content over and over.

They need to do some of that "rise from the ashes of a shitty game" magic and really think about the items in this game.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
They need to do something thst changes our skills some what, most heroes are feeling to samey their only so much u can do with so many.

People quickly shit on Diablo 3 but they turned thst game around with the legendarys n how they change a class n build once u get one.

Theirs so much they could with gear that changes ur skills on this but instead they just take the route of crit n adding +1 to skills

I feel David brevik is trying to hard create a marvel Diablo 2 and playing safe with using features from that

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
They need to do some of that "rise from the ashes of a shitty game" magic and really think about the items in this game.

Totally. A Rift-like system where the boss is random would let them get away from the grindy feeling the game has now. If Rifts (Danger Room or w/e) offer good loot and a decent chance for any type of boss-specific loot, that'd be a step in the right direction.

For a long time, the monthly new hero was enough to keep me going but I'm finally starting to see the end of the road, I think. There's only so many times you can re-shuffle the same powers with a new resource mechanic behind it and keep it fun.

They really need to put their all into the Danger Room. That'll be the mode that either elevates this game to a new level that it desperately needs, or fails and forces the game to continue stagnating. The potential here is just so high.

Also agree with Queen on taking a page out of D3's book with crazy legendaries. The Badoon basic attack any hero unique is a perfect one to use as an example. Change it to make basic attacks to do double damage, and give it several other nifty affixes to promote using a basic attack as your nuke and suddenly it creates interesting choices for people (instead of being utterly useless). Strange users could go with a Daggers of Daveroth build, for example.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
They could do many things like x new item for Cyclops makes z beam skill splatter off into smaller particles.

Make a skill change item for jean so phoenix skills cause burning

So many things instead they chose to do +1 to x skill

D3 only has six classes to balance those builds around, and even the varied play-styles that those legendary items provide break down at the highest level of content in that game, where everyone is running pretty much the same cookie-cutter build to get through areas as fast as possible.

D3 probably has a player base 100x the size of Marvel Heroes, who are constantly experimenting with those builds, and offering those insights to the community. The MH forums basically consist of one or two people theory-crafting the characters when they release and people agreeing.

I'd like to see some more interesting itemization too, but Gaz's team is so small*, and they have 40+ classes to balance/modify.

*I would assume that D3 and Gaz have similarly sized teams actually, since I've heard D3's team considered as a "skeleton crew."

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
We dont really need balance when there already isn't otherwise we wouldnt be needing these qol n reviews.

Problem is David seems to be sticking to his Diablo 2 formula not bringing much new this game would be dead like his hellgate London game if it didnt have the marvel universe connected.

The marvel universe reminds me of dragon ball universe. U cant balance everyone to an even level because they are all different

DrBo42

They could do many things like x new item for Cyclops makes z beam skill splatter off into smaller particles.

Make a skill change item for jean so phoenix skills cause burning

So many things instead they chose to do +1 to x skill

That's the Path of Exile support gem system if I've ever heard it.

We dont really need balance when there already isn't otherwise we wouldnt be needing these qol n reviews.

Problem is David seems to be sticking to his Diablo 2 formula not bringing much new this game would be dead like his hellgate London game if it didnt have the marvel universe connected.

The marvel universe reminds me of dragon ball universe. U cant balance everyone to an even level because they are all different

Of course balance matters. If you have three or four possible builds for a single character, the one that people will stick with will be the one with the highest dps. Which is the same issue Diablo has, even if they try to change things. People want to stick to what has the highest through-put.

They'll end up having to do QOL/reviews every week to make sure that beam-splitting Cyclops or fire Jean is up to snuff. It would take a lot of their man-power away from the myriad of other projects they want to get done.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Of course balance matters. If you have three or four possible builds for a single character, the one that people will stick with will be the one with the highest dps. Which is the same issue Diablo has, even if they try to change things. People want to stick to what has the highest through-put.

They'll end up having to do QOL/reviews every week to make sure that beam-splitting Cyclops or fire Jean is up to snuff. It would take a lot of their man-power away from the myriad of other projects they want to get done.

We have no balance right now cough hulk venom etc,

I'd rather have skill changes plus 1 to x skills or crit

We have no balance right now cough hulk venom etc,

I'd rather have skill changes plus 1 to x skills or crit

I'm talking about balance between the multiple builds you're suggesting for an individual character. The Cyclops you describe, regular Cyclops, Punchclops, whatever other ideas might occur from skill-changing itemization would all have to be somewhat balanced so that people would actually want to try those various versions of heroes. Otherwise everyone will just grab the uniques and artifacts they need for the highest dps cookie-cutter build and stick with it.

Now if they made unique and artifact drops more rare like Diablo, then it might make sense. People might start saying things like, "Oh I'm only playing Mental Jean until I get her slot 5 for Fire Jean."

Some people in Diablo just get carried through rifts until they have enough blood shards to gamble on items and hope they get the right set for their build. They barely even play the game. Making items more interesting and fun is important, but it's not a simple task.

D3 only has six classes to balance those builds around, and even the varied play-styles that those legendary items provide break down at the highest level of content in that game, where everyone is running pretty much the same cookie-cutter build to get through areas as fast as possible.

It would still give options to those of us who don't blindly follow cookie-cutter builds like 90% of the playerbase does. And not every character is for doing cutting edge content. If these proposed crazy uniques happen to break the game for certain characters/builds, they can always patch the few outliers anyway. Better that than what we're stuck with right now.

Itemization in this game has become extremely boring. Pretty much every recent upgrade added has been about +ranks.

It would still give options to those of us who don't blindly follow cookie-cutter builds like 90% of the playerbase does. And not every character is for doing cutting edge content. If these proposed crazy uniques happen to break the game for certain characters/builds, they can always patch the few outliers anyway. Better that than what we're stuck with right now.

Itemization in this game has become extremely boring. Pretty much every recent upgrade added has been about +ranks.

I totally agree. It would be great to see some item changes like that, but based on their pipeline with Danger Room, Ultron, random new things, Chapter 10, and achievements; (I'll still count them) I don't see how they can spend even more dev time on items beyond the already slowed-down QOL/Review system, without hiring a bunch of new designers.

Sblargh

Banned
I dreamed about a version of Gilmore Girls that had time travel and shadows attacking people and the main thing about the series was that the mom and the daughter had to visit different versions of the future to help their future versions to deal with every day problems like boyfriends and careers and cats and stuff like that. On one episode, after helping a version of herself that got rich and bored and unhappy to lighten up, her possible-future-mother-in-law would say sheepshly: "I don't know if you are good enough for my son now... but I at least I know you came from a good place" and she would answer "nah, I'm all right."

So it was a sci-fi mom-and-daughter independet women issues show with feel good endings and saving the world through the power of love.

In the dream, I was binge watching it on Netflix and not wanting to get to the series finale because I remember it making me cry too much because of too much feels. It was one of those series finales with flashbacks that took us back to the series best moments and made us remember why we love those characters so much. In this series finale they had to, of course, choose what future they version they would become at the expense of all the others. I don't remember it, but they probably found a loophole, as this kind of series would demand it.

...I don't know what other thread I could share this.

Vecks

Just as a heads up, there's a 50% off Heroes and costumes sale along with a 15% bonus G promotion going on. Get to spending!

Finally. Been waiting a long time for a 50% sale.

EDIT: Just noticed the new Sue costume. Don't care much for the actual design, but that hair looks really nice. I guess I'll wait for the next sale for that one.

Sblargh

Banned
Let's talk about other marvel stagnant things. Does Agent Carter gets better? I want to love it, but I feel it doesn't want to love me back. So boring.

Daredevil was amazing.*amazing*.

*Spoiler Of The Last Episode. Warning.*
When Fisk escapes and you just know the red uniform and the final confrontation has just been set up made me literally stand up and cheer at the screen fanboyishly.

After tomorrow's patch, all dailies will now reset three hours later.

Shared Quests, Weekly Mission, and any other mission that previously reset at 12:00AM PDT will now reset at 3:00AM PDT to create parity with raid loot cooldowns.

Moondrop

Banned
Let's talk about other marvel stagnant things. Does Agent Carter gets better? I want to love it, but I feel it doesn't want to love me back. So boring.
I too found Agent Carter pretty dull for the first half, but it finally picks up around episode 6 or so and I'm glad I stuck through.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Dr doom spoiler

cy743UV.png

Achievements are finished and going on tc Tuesday . Then week later is final testing for launch

Hawkeye and black widow have mini updates coming with scarlet and vision.

Should be a forum post bout story updates later in week

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oh snap, 50% sale on heroes and costumes AND 15% bonus G's.

wallet plz

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Daredevil was amazing.*amazing*.

*Spoiler Of The Last Episode. Warning.*
When Fisk escapes and you just know the red uniform and the final confrontation has just been set up made me literally stand up and cheer at the screen fanboyishly.

I literally mouthed
"take your shot"
at the same time Matt said it. That's good writing. I felt strangely underwhelmed by the big costume moment though, and it also instantly felt a little goofier to me. They lampshade the silliness at the end, but it can't help but feel a bit incongruous with the tone of most of the show. Overall though, really fucking great, I'm glad to have been wrong about it. I could sit and nitpick but it was mostly great, the writing, the direction/cinematography, the casting (except Foggy, sorry duder but you're just kinda bad), and omg the fight choreography/direction is some of the best in the genre. Wolcott (Karen) is really, really good in particular, standout for me. Watch this show.

How is that not canon?!

I think I'll start a picture log of sorts, documenting the most outlandish stuff I find. So far it's ridiculous costume changes (I think he's on his fifth iteration in eight issues, including a convenient cape where he could stash his lawyer suit) and blatant 1960s sexism.

Good stuff.

KePoW

Banned
I think I'll start a picture log of sorts, documenting the most outlandish stuff I find. So far it's ridiculous costume changes (I think he's on his fifth iteration in eight issues, including a convenient cape where he could stash his lawyer suit) and blatant 1960s sexism

I want to see the examples of sexism & racial stereotyping, those are the funniest things to me

Top Bottom