• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Cool thanks for the advice. I tried out Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Rocket, and Punisher, albiet all breifly, and the Punisher seemed like the one I would have the most fun with. Dumpin on fools is fun. Although hearing that Iron Man is expensive makes me consider starting with him. He was fun and of course he's awesome, I just get sick of playing as him in every Marvel game.

Frank is one of the best characters in the game right now. His damage is insanely good and he is one of the toughest ranged characters in the game. I also really dig his reload mechanic, though some people don't. With dual specs, you can set up an Old Painless build and a Flame thrower build and swap back and forth when you get bored of one.

His mechanics are a bit more complicated than the run of the mill character in the game, but by no means overly difficult. My only concern is you might get bored of the simpler characters after trying out the Punisher.

TL;DR - Based on your avatar, get the Punisher.

----

Regarding PS4 release, I dunno man. I might even bite if they gave us a one-time option to transfer our account over. I never tried Diablo 3 on a console, but I'm not sure how the game play would transfer over. I can't imagine it being as easy to control as KB/M. The positive is I get the opportunity to log more time on my PS4 than my PC based on my setup at home.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Noone answered me in the Comics OT so I'll ask here: what should I read before jumping into Secret Wars? New Avengers/Avengers only?

you can get away with reading (at least I am) Avengers #35+ and New Avengers #24+. I believe ~3 issues of each are available on Marvel Unlimited (which I think has a free month right now with ULTRON promo code). It's a total of 8 books of each leading up to Secret Wars. So if you were good with buying comics.. read the first 3 of each on MU, then buy the next 5 from the marvel app, then you're set with Secret Wars...

Speaking of.. when the shit do we get current maskless Captain Marvel with short hair???

for those talking about PS4... you have to understand that Diablo 3 plays significantly different on the consoles than the PC. Yeah Gaz could release this on PS4 with mouse and keyboard support... but I am certain Sony would require controller support.. and without changing the game a bit (like Blizz did for Diablo) I'm not convinced a standard ARPG would natively translate to a console controller in any decent way. I mean they'd have to overhaul the game quite a bit.

edit - Frankly I'd just be happy for a modern release of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance/X-Men Legends series. Get on it Gaz!!!

edit 2 - am super psyched.. I decided to pop for some fortune cards. I wanted the AvX Storm costume and Symbiote Spider-Ham from Mk4. I already had 24 chips from Advance Pack 1 from last year.. So 5500g, and only TWO 36 packs later.. I got Symbi Spider-Ham and Wolvie Enemy of the State out of the two bundles.. and the 73 chips gave me enough for Storm AvX from Clea. And enough boosts to give me over 500% xp bonus this weekend for at least like 4-8 hours.

Lanrutcon

Playing this game with a controller would suck. It was not designed from day 1 with controllers in mind, like D3, so don't expect the same experience. And if you think they'll redesign every character's skills, several dozen general mechanics, the UI and character movement for a console release...well, I have a bridge to sell you.

borghe

I really don't think D3 was designed Day 1 with controllers in mind.. console D3 plays considerably different than PC D3. Console D3 is a great game, but doesn't really feel at all like a PC ARPG.

I'm not even worried about the number of skills, since that is easily overcome with a "hold the trigger" modifier.

The real issue with the controller is aiming AOE abilities or directional stuff in general. Very difficult to replicate the accuracy and speed of a mouse for that.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Brevik said on his stream with wife recently it's no secret of a console port he said the main barrier stopping them which they are working on is the aoe targeting once thats sorted it'll pretty much be ready

Dec

In D3 the targetting is less accurate to the point that they have reduced the amount of enemies on screen significantly compared to the PC version.

It's also plagued with hacked items isn't it?

I think it will inevitably be a worse version of the game. Even if some people consider D3 on consoles to be better than D3 on PC it's because of the input method, but the game itself is still worse.

borghe

The hacked items were the result of a concession Blizzard felt needed to be made. Basically Blizz knew they could never charge $60 for an online only console game. I mean look at the PC backlash, and that ecosystem has tons of online only titles. Blizz had to release an offline playable version which meant hacked saves. In theory Marvel Heroes is fine, especially as the standard for PS4 f2p has already been set at online-only. Really the only issue is the controller and targeting. And to date no one has solved it... I wouldn't even say Blizz solved it as D3 console is considerably different than PC.

Lord Phol

In D3 the targetting is less accurate to the point that they have reduced the amount of enemies on screen significantly compared to the PC version.

It's also plagued with hacked items isn't it?

I think it will inevitably be a worse version of the game. Even if some people consider D3 on consoles to be better than D3 on PC it's because of the input method, but the game itself is still worse.

Couch co-op would be awesome though. It's the main reason I've had so much fun with the Dark Alliance and Champion of Norrath games on the PS2. Love playing these games with a controller and a friend/gf/relative, though sadly the days of couch gaming with friends are long since gone in my case.

I actually think MH atm has too much trash, it looks ridiculous sometimes, ever since they changed it some patches ago

Yeah I can agree with this, MM in particular is way overpopulated IMO.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I actually think MH atm has too much trash, it looks ridiculous sometimes, ever since they changed it some patches ago

Durden77

Check your inventory for a picture of magneto, if you see one right click it.

If your inventory was full when you bought him then he may be in your bank, check there.

There will also be an over flow inventory, look for an orange box on the right hand side of the screen, he may be there.

Found him thanks! Must've just been real tired last night. WOOHOO MAGNETO! Really wish I could use Doom, but Mags is my second favorite so I'm super psyched he's playable.

Frank is one of the best characters in the game right now. His damage is insanely good and he is one of the toughest ranged characters in the game. I also really dig his reload mechanic, though some people don't. With dual specs, you can set up an Old Painless build and a Flame thrower build and swap back and forth when you get bored of one.

His mechanics are a bit more complicated than the run of the mill character in the game, but by no means overly difficult. My only concern is you might get bored of the simpler characters after trying out the Punisher.

TL;DR - Based on your avatar, get the Punisher.

----

Regarding PS4 release, I dunno man. I might even bite if they gave us a one-time option to transfer our account over. I never tried Diablo 3 on a console, but I'm not sure how the game play would transfer over. I can't imagine it being as easy to control as KB/M. The positive is I get the opportunity to log more time on my PS4 than my PC based on my setup at home.

I did end up going with the Punisher, and after playing him for I while I could see how you'd be concerned that I'd think other characters are boring. He's just really fun, I love the ammo stuff myself. And even though I'm very early in, his damage is indeed nuts. One shot from my pistols kills most enemies right now, and full auto just mows them down. Only thing that seems lackluster so far is his shotgun. Really glad I picked him, I'll give Mags a shot today.

Also I would kill for a PS4 release. My friends are really into DCU on there, but they'd rather play this they just don't have gaming PC's. I don't know how similar the two games are, but I would love to be able to play this with them and more comfortably.

Found him thanks! Must've just been real tired last night. WOOHOO MAGNETO! Really wish I could use Doom, but Mags is my second favorite so I'm super psyched he's playable.

Doom is the next playable being released so it shouldn't be too long until we start getting teasers for him being shown.

Dec

Hoping to do a red and AXIS raid sometime this week.

It seems like everyone is available at different times so maybe people could say yes or no to some times?

Today 6pm-midnight EST

Saturday 2pm-midnight EST

Whichever has less "no can't make its" I guess we can try to do?

I did end up going with the Punisher, and after playing him for I while I could see how you'd be concerned that I'd think other characters are boring. He's just really fun, I love the ammo stuff myself. And even though I'm very early in, his damage is indeed nuts. One shot from my pistols kills most enemies right now, and full auto just mows them down. Only thing that seems lackluster so far is his shotgun. Really glad I picked him, I'll give Mags a shot today.

Wait, which shotgun? Because Buckshot Blast is insanely good. So powerful and so damn cool.

Today 6pm-midnight EST

I'm good at the latter end of both those posted times. I'm in Mountain Time, so 11PM on works best for me. That's probably too late for most people, though.

Drayco21

It seems like everyone is available at different times so maybe people could say yes or no to some times?

Today 6pm-midnight EST

Both times work pretty great for me, but I'm also undergeared and the last person you want on a red raid, so that's probably not helping.

Dec

Both times work pretty great for me, but I'm also undergeared and the last person you want on a red raid, so that's probably not helping.

For the red the gear req. isn't much. For axis though we might need good gear and decent omega counts.

We have never tried axis, so it will be a little bit of a test

Today 6pm-midnight EST

I can do tonight from 9pm EST and on. Cannot do tomorrow at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For the red the gear req. isn't much. For axis though we might need good gear and decent omega counts.

We have never tried axis, so it will be a little bit of a test

Green Axis > Red Surtur? was hoping they wouldnt go this route :/

you should be able to progress from green to green without needing "red gear"

Durden77

Doom is the next playable being released so it shouldn't be too long until we start getting teasers for him being shown.

What YESSSSS! Seems I started playing at a good time.

Wait, which shotgun? Because Buckshot Blast is insanely good. So powerful and so damn cool.

FLechette blast I think it's called. I might just not be using it right. Been using Magneto today so I haven't had a lot of time with him. Mags is real fun though!

Durden77

Flechette Blast SUCKS! You've been warned.

It's all about that Buckshot.

Damn I just put a few points into it hoping it would help, oh well. Got respec things if I need them.

There's no way to have all your powers available to you at once is there? I always hate switching between power bars.

Damn I just put a few points into it hoping it would help, oh well. Got respec things if I need them.

There's no way to have all your powers available to you at once is there? I always hate switching between power bars.

Most people change the .ini so they can access the second bar with a modifier. I use shift, for instance. I think it's a must for lots of characters, and convenient for every character.
http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/66933/how-to-add-more-hotkeys/p1

Dec

Green Axis > Red Surtur? was hoping they wouldnt go this route :/

you should be able to progress from green to green without needing "red gear"

It was supposed to be green musp < green axis < red musp < red axis but for some reason axis is quite a bit more difficult than red musp.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There's no Red Axis yet right? I imagine Green will get nerfed a bit when that is introduced.

Rhaknar

It was supposed to be green musp < green axis < red musp < red axis but for some reason axis is quite a bit more difficult than red musp.

That would make more sense for people / guilds that arent very hardcore

Sblargh

Banned
That would make more sense for people / guilds that arent very hardcore

Going by the social-pt chat, there are so many new players. Cathering to the hardcore now makes even less sense than the usual in this not-at-all-hardcore game.

It's a direct result of what happened in Secret Wars #1. It will run concurrently.

Ah, neat. I was afraid they would somehow spend 8 issues setting it up. lol.

Here are some sample Danger Room chips:

X86QiKH.jpg

qHqSxvW.jpg

UsaQa9a.jpg

lwLSzWL.jpg

93AVumD.jpg

Also a post regarding general game tuning and the possible future of it.

Explains why Venom is so strong.

Venom&#8217;s Writhing Tendrils currently has a fairly significant bug that went undiscovered for awhile. As with all DoT effects, this power should apply the DOT debuff to an enemy and that&#8217;s that. However, in certain cases, you can currently apply multiple stacks to the same enemy, making this power deal exponentially higher damage than it should. This is a case of a bug, this time causing increased DPS that isn&#8217;t factored into the tuning of the power (and will eventually be addressed).

However, it&#8217;s not always a bug that causes a hero to be above or below the target power curve.

There are times when we have an oversight on a new mechanic, especially when we do something wacky or something that has no precedent in game thus far - that something gets released that is unbalanced compared to other heroes.

One such example of this would be Venom&#8217;s Infect passive. Venom has a mechanic in that he can regenerate percentages of missing health. This mechanic was designed to be placed on his basic attacks - the opportunity cost of lost DPS (using basics instead of spenders) would be enough to offset the infinitely-scaling health restoration effect. However, this was also placed onto Infect&#8217;s passive, essentially always giving him a health regeneration effect that scales infinitely with his Maximum Health, a mechanic that is obviously impossible to balance the game around. All other sources of regeneration in Venom&#8217;s kit, such as We Are Indestructible or Maw From Above restore a flat amount of health, except in the case of Infect.

Edit: And to the surprise of absolutely nobody, Ant-Man has been confirmed. Coming after Doom (so just before the movie is released).

INcRGan.png

Rizzi

I played Marvel Heroes when it first came out, bought Jean Grey and got super bored. I started playing again yesterday, tore through the story and got her to level 38. She's a blast to play, but I unlocked Nightcrawler and Nova. Nightcrawler is super squishy.
Who's a good melee hero to play?

I played Marvel Heroes when it first came out, bought Jean Grey and got super bored. I started playing again yesterday, tore through the story and got her to level 38. She's a blast to play, but I unlocked Nightcrawler and Nova. Nightcrawler is super squishy.
Who's a good melee hero to play?

Widow, Cap, Daredevil, Gambit, Ghost Rider, Hulk, Juggernaut, Moon Knight, Psylocke, Thor, Venom, Vision, Wolverine, and X-23. Take your pick. Bolded are super good.

Hellers

I bought Hulk last night and he feels amazing to play. Currently only level 10 or so though so still early days with him. I also read good things about Scarlet Witch as a ranged so I bought her. They can both certainly shift around the map quickly can't they?

Love the different Hulk jumps you can have. I think they've really nailed him there. I got the Punisher as one of my BOGOF heroes so I might give him a try once I take my car for its MOT.

I tried Captain America and Thor up to level 10. I found Thor better but neither of them grabbed me like Hulk did.

*Edit* Does anyone think they'd sell more heroes if they let you try all of them up to level 10?

Lord Phol

Ooo those Danger room chipsets sound very interesting, I wonder if they will have different location as well. Finally something new to do with some randomness/variety to it!

Rhaknar

Kitty that soon? War Machine would make more sense with the Avengers connection, but cool

also either Doom being a "anniversary" hero in june and Ant Man in july means there is no May hero, so they either put 2 heroes in some upcoming month or they wont make 12 this year

Psylocke is also really fun to play in my opinion.

Ah yes, my mistake. Didn't mean to exclude her.

Kitty that soon? War Machine would make more sense with the Avengers connection, but cool

also either Doom being a "anniversary" hero in june and Ant Man in july means there is no May hero, so they either put 2 heroes in some upcoming month or they wont make 12 this year

Doom is the "May hero". He just might be delayed a week to specifically hit the June 4th anniversary date (it falls on a Thursday/patch day). So Ant-Man could still be on track for a late June release.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Ant Man is either gonna suck or be super fun, no middle ground. The character, not the movie, which is the first Marvel movie that just looks really lame to me in a long time

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The only things in the trailer that spoke to me were Pete Russo from House of Cards as Yellowjacket and the Thomas the tank engine bit at the end, which was funny. I don't like Paul Rudd at allllll.

Also red raid/Axis tonight??

inky

I think it looks like the most by the numbers movie yet. Gives me Iron Man 1 vibes in terms of structure, but not in a positive way (IM1 is my fav).

I like the parts, but as we've seen with TWS and GotG, I think movies need a different edge to stand out. I like Rudd and I think the tone of the trailers is misleading. I'm expecting almost a full out comedy, more than IM3 for example. I hope the miniature action scenes carry it.

Top Bottom