• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

As someone who basically did that list on my own when I got back into comics a few years back, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Event chasing is the most unsatisfying way to read comics ever. The best thing about events is being exposed to lots of characters so you can decide to look into their solo or team stuff.

Well, that's the whole point. Get exposed to a massive cast of characters then dive into the ones you like. The guide also covers individuals characters with their best storylines.

Nordicus

Tried out Hawkeye, Black Panther, Rocket Raccoon and Luke Cage. Hawkeye felt like he had too many redundant abilities too early, Black Panther's stealth gameplay is interesting, Rocket Raccoon was actually a moderatly fun summoner, and while Cage's first proper Aoe skill is hilariously powerful, the weak animation and strength of his Dempsey Roll broke my heart.

Ended up going with Black Panther and the random hero unlock boxes gave me She-Hulk and Jean Grey. At least it looks my initial heroes will have some variety.

My friend accidentally uncapped Captain America when he meant to uncap Iron Man. The salt flows. Dunno if he'll just make another account :p

Tried out Hawkeye, Black Cat, Rocket Raccoon and Luke Cage. Hawkeye felt like he had too many redundant abilities too early, Black Cat's stealth gameplay is interesting, Rocket Raccoon was actually a moderatly fun summoner, and while Cage's first proper Aoe skill is hilariously powerful, the weak animation and strength of his Dempsey Roll broke my heart.

Ended up going with Black Cat and the random hero unlock boxes gave me She-Hulk and Jean Grey. At least it looks my initial heroes will have some variety.

My friend accidentally uncapped Captain America when he meant to uncap Iron Man. The salt flows. Dunno if he'll just make another account :p

Black Cat isn't released until later this year. Do you mean Black Widow?

Indignate

What breaks my heart is that I'm pretty sure I defeated surtur 50 times already and pretty sure I won't be doing it again.

Yeah, same. It's disheartening to see all this stuff that you've already done or would be pretty close to finishing, even if everyone is on the same page of starting fresh.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who basically did that list on my own when I got back into comics a few years back, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Event chasing is the most unsatisfying way to read comics ever. The best thing about events is being exposed to lots of characters so you can decide to look into their solo or team stuff.

I'm inclined to agree, though I do think a lot of the stuff from Disassembled all the way up through Siege is really good, or at least has a tangible effect on characters in the universe, and they flow into one another in a way that makes sense. Unlike, say, Fear Itself, which is just, HEY LET'S HAVE AN EVENT!~ What can we cook up? Ancient Asgardian fear god comes out of nowhere or something? Sure why not!

Good looking out though Tragi, I'll check out Uncanny X-Force and some of the other stuff. Currently catching up to the last issues of God of Thunder, I read the awesome God Butcher arc a few years ago, and though it hasn't been as good, it's a fun book.

BTW, an obscure one you may not have read, and the good thing to come out of Fear Itself: Gillen's Journey Into Mystery starring Kid Loki. I really, really loved that book, for the most part. Recommended to everyone.

I'm inclined to agree, though I do think a lot of the stuff from Disassembled all the way up through Siege is really good, or at least has a tangible effect on characters in the universe, and they flow into one another in a way that makes sense. Unlike, say, Fear Itself, which is just, HEY LET'S HAVE AN EVENT!~ What can we cook up? Ancient Asgardian fear god comes out of nowhere or something? Sure why not!

Good looking out though Tragi, I'll check out Uncanny X-Force and some of the other stuff. Currently catching up to the last issues of God of Thunder, I read the awesome God Butcher arc a few years ago, and though it hasn't been as good, it's a fun book.

BTW, an obscure one you may not have read, and the good thing to come out of Fear Itself: Gillen's Journey Into Mystery starring Kid Loki. I really, really loved that book, for the most part. Recommended to everyone.

Obscure? It's the best thing Marvel's done since Incredible Hercules.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
went in for a bit of ICP before work hoping to get a signet, got a signet

keikaku.jpg

Comics GAF raves about that. Then again, they also vote Harley Quinn as book of the month, soooooo...

This is the joke right?

I don't like you any more if you don't like Incredible Hercules.

Comics GAF raves about that. Then again, they also vote Harley Quinn as book of the month, soooooo...

Comics GAF is right about a lot of things, but they also seem to have a weird clown fetish. I hope you can see that Journey into Mystery falls into the first category. Gillen is a very underrated writer for Marvel.

Kid Loki should absolutely be in Marvel Heroes. (and so should Hercules with his buddy Amadeus Cho).

Sblargh

Banned
This is the joke right?

Hercules_Thumbs_Up.jpg

The Incredible Hercules which should be named The Incredible Amadeus Cho is the finest moment of the two characters, imo. Excellent read.

Herc-and-Cho-300x286.png

It's the classic heartwarming tale of a drunk bissexual demigod of strenght; the teenager supergenius and his pet fox.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Incredible Hercules is the book that replaced Hulk during world war hulk? If so just added it

Sblargh

Banned
Incredible Hercules is the book that replaced Hulk during world war hulk? If so just added it

It is. The backstory is that Amadeus Cho became a fugitive from SHIELD (which was being controlled by Norman Osborn at the moment, I think) after being on the Hulk's side during World War Hulk and Hercules took his side for reasons I don't really remember.

Rhaknar

Yup it starts with the fallout from World War Hulk b/c Cho is the kid who sticks up for Hulk.

And this Cho is the kid from Hickman's recent stuff? I liked him and never seen the character before

Sblargh

Banned
And this Cho is the kid from Hickman's recent stuff? I liked him and never seen the character before

Also yes. He is the 7th most intelligent person on the Marvel U according to himself. His actual "superpower" is to make calculations super fast, like, comic book super fast. He is also something like a supreme hacker.

Comics GAF is right about a lot of things, but they also seem to have a weird clown fetish. I hope you can see that Journey into Mystery falls into the first category. Gillen is a very underrated writer for Marvel.

Kid Loki should absolutely be in Marvel Heroes. (and so should Hercules with his buddy Amadeus Cho).

Yeah, Journey looks really good.

Kid Loki, maaaaybe as a costume? I mean, aren't their powers the same?

Started this game on Monday:

kJpTTon.png

It's a slippery slope. For most, with no return.. Haha

jxcLy6S.jpg

Hoping to do a red and AXIS raid sometime this week.

It seems like everyone is available at different times so maybe people could say yes or no to some times?

Today 6pm-midnight EST

Saturday 2pm-midnight EST

Whichever has less "no can't make its" I guess we can try to do?

I really can't promise to be around at any time now we've had baby, but if you see me online, I'm keen. Should be easier now I'm in the GAF SG and can be part of the SG discussion.

As with yesterday, I was around for that our or so, so could easily do a Raid with the SG in that time.

If only all terminal maps were this straightforward, lol.

I love those ones! That's really great with Mandy though, don't think I've ever seen his map that straightforward before, it's usually a convoluted, back-tracking mess.

It is nice when you get those back-track maps that have his arena right next to one of the early walls. Can just TP through the whole thing sometimes with SW/NC lol

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

As someone with Good and Right opinions on things, I can say with definitive authority that JiM is a good book that is very much worth reading. I might look into Incredible Hercules it actually sounds fun!

Bought my 5th and final 69 recipe last night. Feels good.

Went from thinking it would likely never happen with Raid exclusivity, to it maybe happening in 12-18 months, to cleaning up the last three 69 recipes I needed in a month or so.

Crazy how much those Daily/Weekly missions have helped.

Now to start beefing up my mains with Challenge bonuses (and eventually buy those Raid uniques!).

Yeah, Journey looks really good.

Kid Loki, maaaaybe as a costume? I mean, aren't their powers the same?

Yes he should be an enhanced costume.
Technically the powersets are pretty different in that Kid Loki is mostly just casting run of the mill spells. He gets other people to fight for him (as a good Loki should). Though, frankly it wouldn't matter at all for the purposes of Marvel Heroes.

Rhaknar

Will buy both kid loki and agent of asgard costumes tbh.

Also comic related, 2006's X-Factor is amazing. That is all

rotar2

Neo Member
Started this game again over the weekend after playing only a small amount during its original release. Leveled up my Cap. America to 60 a lot quicker than I thought due to all of the legendary quests and exp. boost pots. Is there still room in the GAF Supergroup? If so, can I get an invite? IGN: Tenex.

Now, I'm pretty lost on what to do. I know about the raids and etc., but I have no idea where to go to get gears in preparation for the harder content. I ran several red terminal missions, but the drops have been more of the same things I've been receiving for the last several levels. Do I just continue doing these terminal missions in hopes of RNG working in my favor, or is there a better way to get some of the higher end gears?

Also, received Thor and Iceman from random hero boxes with the 2 day login bonus splinters! Hurray!

Rhaknar

Started this game again over the weekend after playing only a small amount during its original release. Leveled up my Cap. America to 60 a lot quicker than I thought due to all of the legendary quests and exp. boost pots. Is there still room in the GAF Supergroup? If so, can I get an invite? IGN: Tenex.

Now, I'm pretty lost on what to do. I know about the raids and etc., but I have no idea where to go to get gears in preparation for the harder content. I ran several red terminal missions, but the drops have been more of the same things I've been receiving for the last several levels. Do I just continue doing these terminal missions in hopes of RNG working in my favor, or is there a better way to get some of the higher end gears?

Also, received Thor and Iceman from random hero boxes with the 2 day login bonus splinters! Hurray!

Just farm ICP because those boxes that each phase gives are great to get unique, same goes for midtown but only on Mondays

Sblargh

Banned
Will buy both kid loki and agent of asgard costumes tbh.

Also comic related, 2006's X-Factor is amazing. That is all

Peter David, right? He is amazing all around. I'd chase after his Captain Marvel run from a while back, too.

Well, Peter David has been writing comics for decades now and he has always been very competent at it, but I think it was with Captain Marvel and this X-Force run that he has really found his voice.

Rhaknar

Peter David, right? He is amazing all around. I'd chase after his Captain Marvel run from a while back, too.

Well, Peter David has been writing comics for decades now and he has always been very competent at it, but I think it was with Captain Marvel and this X-Force run that he has really found his voice.

Yes David's long ass run, im still on #15 (of 113!). If the Cap run is when she is in New York eventually living on the statue of liberty I've read it and enjoyed it, but thought it wasn't anything special (I'm just a big Carol fanboy). This x-factor run is amazing tho.

Sblargh

Banned
Yes David's long ass run, im still on #15 (of 113!). If the Cap run is when she is in New York eventually living on the statue of liberty I've read it and enjoyed it, but thought it wasn't anything special (I'm just a big Carol fanboy). This x-factor run is amazing tho.

Oh no, different Captain Marvel. It's Geni-Vell sharing the quantum bands with Rick Jones (meaning that while one is "active" the other must stay in a quantum dimension or something waiting in the sidelines creating the kind of sci-fi buddy cop hijinks you'd expect out of it)

convo.jpg

Oh man, actually, i'm being very unfair to Peter David, he actually done so much good stuff on the 80s and early 90s.

A very large portion of what we know about the Hulk today is due to him:

He is the one that created the Joe Fixit character, for example.

I knew he was known for something; then blank, then what I read years ago, lol. I forgot it was the Hulk.

Entirely off-topic, but I have to remind myself to stop using the word "actually"

Rhaknar

Wait is that blue face captain marvel? I LOVED that many moons ago when I was still reading / collecting actual comics

I need to check that on MU

Sblargh

Banned
Right,that's where I remember it from, too. lol. From that period 15 years ago that I was buying comic books on the newstand and was like "what the hell, this is funny!"

Hellers

I am having so much fun with this game. I have no idea why I didn't get into it much sooner.

Some initial thoughts on my first 28 hours or so.

It starts off quite restrained and slow paced. In the raft for example some characters feel much slower to progress. Then later when you start hitting the open zones it feels like utter bedlam. You have no idea what's going on. But eventually you become able to see through the chaos and it becomes very, very controllable. Some of the most fun has been in Midtown when *everything* seems to be exploding and attacking at once. Sentinels, moloids, Ultrons, lava monsters and bosses all in exactly the same place. AOE going off on every square cm of the screen and yet you can still manage it. It's surprising how well it works. It a bit of a weird learning curve though. As I said initially on the raft it's slow and measured and then as the story progresses you pass through chaos into this zone where you feel so powerful. (Then I tried some red terminals and didn't feel powerful anymore :) )

The story was decent. I'm pleased I only have to play it once to get the waypoints open but I enjoyed it. Possibly enough to do it again on Heroic. Some of the open areas are a bit large though. It made finding some places a bit of a chore.

I love the amount of characters there are available. I've spent quite a bit of cash grabbing some faves. I currently have Storm at level 40 and Squirrel Girl at level 25. I've got Scarlet Witch, Cyclops, Hulk and Punisher waiting to go too. I like the terminals and legendary quests at level 20 too. It just doesn't feel much like a grind.

I'm at work and want to go home. Scarlet Witch isn't going to get herself to 20. I wish costumes were a bit cheaper though

Nordicus

Juggernaut's damage even during lowest levels Midtown Manhattan events caught me off-guard. So often his rush with the long charge time is a straight up 1-hit kill.

Mainly an issue when there's massive chaos and you're not keeping an eye on him

KKRT00

You unlock cosmic terminals and patrols at level 60, as well as raids.

Thats not a good answer to my question then, its basically end-game :p
When is first difficulty spike and by difficulty spike i mean a moment when You have to stay awake when You fight.

Lanrutcon

Thats not a good answer to my question then, its basically end-game :p
When is first difficulty spike and by difficulty spike i mean a moment when You have to stay awake when You fight.

That's pretty much it: endgame. Up till then it's all cake and flowers, unless you play a weak hero (and there are only a handful that are that weak).

Top Bottom