• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Quoting for new page so people don't miss it.

On a side note, so that people know for the next couple days, the 50% Avengers XP buff is multiplicative with the Omega one. If you've been leveling an Avenger, you've probably noticed that XP gain is crazy and this is the reason why.

Right now the server side XP buff for Omega is at 120% (220% XP gain). As an Avenger you get 50% of that as a bonus, so an extra 110% for a total of 330%. This makes the current server side bonus 230%, which is the second highest it has ever been. This means on Wednesday (possibly the last full day of this event), the server side buff for playing an Avenger character is 302%, which is absolutely ridiculous. For every XP boost you pop, you'll get triple the benefits.

This is, without question, the best time to level characters/prestige/Omega point farm. Get on it people!

MoonGred

Hey guys,

I got this game when it was still a paid beta, and have been wanting to get into it ever since, I've picked it up about 4 times now i just can't decide on a hero which is fun to play.
I purchased the paid beta and seem to have a crapload of in game currency which I spent on an array of heroes, but none of them seem to hold my interest

I've got the following:
Moon knight, nightcrawler, taskmaster, black panther, cpt America, spiderman, wolverine, punisher, thing, she-hulk, daredevil,rocket raccoon and a whole bunch others.the majority of which I dont even remember purchasing. All of these felt really similar especially moon Knight, captain and task master. Usually I get bored of a hero around level 15-20.
I was browsing forums but could only find old entries, but alot of people were recommending gambit, looked at some of his videos and he looks pretty fun. But would he actually be different from ones I have? I'm not looking for the most over powered hero either, just one that is fun to play and requires you to use more than 2 skills.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You think Moon knight, Captain America and Taskmaster feel really similar?

I'll give you Cap and Task for obvious reasons (even if my Cap and Task are specced completely different) but Moon Knight plays nothing like either of them, at all.

Edit: wait it's even more bizarre since you say they all feel similar... and you include Spider-Man and Punisher there...whut? o_O

MoonGred

You think Moon knight, Captain America and Taskmaster feel really similar?

I'll give you Cap and Task for obvious reasons (even if my Cap and Task are specced completely different) but Moon Knight plays nothing like either of them, at all.

Edit: wait it's even more bizarre since you say they all feel similar... and you include Spider-Man and Punisher there...whut? o_O

I didn't mean to include spider and punisher in the comparison. But yea i really feel like those 3 feel similar. At the moment all I need to do with all 3 of them is just throw shield/stick and everything dies without and issues.
Bear in mind I've got limited playtime with all of them, they just don't seem to hold my attention at all.
Maybe I lack an early game challenge, I don't know. I'm not knocking the game, if anything I really want to get into it, but just haven't found my hook yet.

I didn't mean to include spider and punisher in the comparison. But yea i really feel like those 3 feel similar. At the moment all I need to do with all 3 of them is just throw shield/stick and everything dies without and issues.
Bear in mind I've got limited playtime with all of them, they just don't seem to hold my attention at all.
Maybe I lack an early game challenge, I don't know. I'm not knocking the game, if anything I really want to get into it, but just haven't found my hook yet.

That's just kind of how the game plays, especially early on. It is mostly about the boss battles and even those are easy early on.

My friend had similar issues with the game, but it has never bothered me. I mean, I don't really want some random Hydra thug to get up after being hit by Cap's shield anyway. Mofos shouldn't be getting up until they wake up in a hospital bed 2 days later!

In my experience, most heroes don't start to settle into their unique roles until around level 50. Most leveling builds are just about clearing trash and that's pretty similar between heroes.

Hellers

Where's a good place to find leveling builds for the different heroes? I was looking for one in particular this morning for Scarlet Witch. I checked the forum and the first leveling build I found was for level 60. Which is when you're done leveling :)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Leveling guide for Scarlet Witch:

1) Max Bouncing Hex
2) ???
3) etc

really, leveling builds are about finding 1-2 skills that clear trash real fast, and maxing your passives, maybe a basic if spirit is an issue, as it often is at lower levels. People don't focus much on leveling builds because leveling is pretty easy, but you can always look at the builds on marvelheroes.info and see if there's any with the "leveling" keyword.

Hellers

That makes sense I suppose. I've basically been focusing on a couple of skills (Normally AOE related) and a nice spamable basic. Lots of spirit problems though.

Tonight begins operation "Get Cyclops to level 60 for the XP boost" He's currently level 20.

Here's the plan. Ricochet beam. The one that blows up a circle, the focused one for bosses and Angel for lols. Plus whatever passive he uses.

And the motorbike because it's cool.

Partook in my first Midtown Monday yesterday. That was fun. I've been reading some leveling guides and one of them recommends getting a Magneto Medallion for the spirit cost reduction. The description on that says "Lose 1% of your current health when you hit a power." That sounds bad. Could someone explain the effect?

KKRT00

???

You: "When does the game become difficult?"
Others: "At 60."
You: "I don't want to get to 60."

Am I missing something? Things are kept "fairly" light and breezy at levels 1-59 because you are still getting powers up through level 52. If they made things difficult WHILE you were still learning you character.. I mean how frustrating would that be? This is pretty much standard ARPG. Keep things moving while you are learning/building your character.. Then once you have some experience under your belt make shit tough as nails.

It's not like it's a major effort to get a character to 60. Today through Wednesday you should be able to get any character there in one day, two days at worst. Stack up some boosts and I think I am half-assed power leveling the avengers in like 4ish hours each.

I fall asleep in ARPGs if game is too easy.
Oh and its not a standard for ARPG.

----
Level up by doing legendary quests in red terminals. That can be quite challenging unless you are prestiging.

More experience for more difficulty.

Thanks i'll try this and other suggestion, like using Nightcrawler class.

Indignate

Cyclop's sig is one of the best skills in the game because it's hard to not yell while you're doing it.

It's the only thing that's fun about leveling him. Just going to wait until the server boost stack more to get this over with faster.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Partook in my first Midtown Monday yesterday. That was fun. I've been reading some leveling guides and one of them recommends getting a Magneto Medallion for the spirit cost reduction. The description on that says "Lose 1% of your current health when you hit a power." That sounds bad. Could someone explain the effect?

I'd avoid it. There's a small internal cooldown on the HP loss, I think it's 1% per second basically. Better off going with a Lizard medallion or something. If you can get your hands on a Mark of the Odinborn or Scrolls of Pama artifact (spirit when you pick up an orb) it'll make leveling a lot smoother wrt spirit issues. If spirit is an issue while leveling (on any hero) I'd max whatever basic gives spirit back, if there is one like that. Look out for epic/cosmic slot 1 gear that gives spirit on kill, too.

FeD.nL

Yea, I'd say so, the bosses I've encountered haven't been very hard either though. Regardless I'll push through to 60 and see if it hooks me then.

If you really want different Dr. Strange might be an option. He is one of the more complex heroes, you have to use 2 bars with him but I really find him a ton of fun. Is also pretty powerful once you get the hang of him. But what kind of characters do you normally play in similar games?

inky

Costumes don't drop, don't believe his lies!

I got Lady Loki from a blender like 2 days after I bought it -.- It's pretty cool

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
In my experience, most heroes don't start to settle into their unique roles until around level 50. Most leveling builds are just about clearing trash and that's pretty similar between heroes.
Absolutely. Like I said in a previous post, I almost shelved Hawkeye. Worst <50 character I've leveled. Or whenever he gets screeching arrow and can equip Darkhold Scroll. Once those two things clicked. Holy shit Hawkeye is a beast.

It should almost be put in the OP. "Don't like your character? Do you think everyone plays the same? Do you feel there is no challenge in the game? Remember you have to get through the early part of the game (1-60) before the actual game kicks in!!"

I mean it's or for the course for ARPGs but I forget that for many this is probably their first one, coming in for the Marvel and not the Diablo. :p

I fall asleep in ARPGs if game is too easy.
Oh and its not a standard for ARPG..
I realize "opinions and all of that", but what ARPG aside from maybe the original Diablo was there challenge there right from the beginning?

Diablo 2? Had to level up to near max for Hell difficulty.
Diablo 3 original? Inferno. Diablo 3 now I'll grant you you can scale right away but that was added in like two years after it launched.
Path of Exile? Max level.
Titan Quest? Again harder difficulties which opened up when you leveled.

It's not rocket science. ARPGs mostly follow a formula. You level your character and as you're learning them and building their skill trees the game isn't too tough. Two reasons, the learning curve, and the dev expects you to do this early part MANY MANY times for various builds. Then at max level is usually where all of the challenge lies (hard modes, higher difficulty settings, etc)

KKRT00

I realize "opinions and all of that", but what ARPG aside from maybe the original Diablo was there challenge there right from the beginning?

Diablo 2? Had to level up to near max for Hell difficulty.
Diablo 3 original? Inferno. Diablo 3 now I'll grant you you can scale right away but that was added in like two years after it launched.
Path of Exile? Max level.
Titan Quest? Again harder difficulties which opened up when you leveled.

It's not rocket science. ARPGs mostly follow a formula. You level your character and as you're learning them and building their skill trees the game isn't too tough. Two reasons, the learning curve, and the dev expects you to do this early part MANY MANY times for various builds. Then at max level is usually where all of the challenge lies (hard modes, higher difficulty settings, etc)

I cant really speak about Marvel, because i've only done the beginning, but in all games You mentioned if You didnt overleveled and didnt know exactly what You were doing You could die very easily even in the first levels, let alone in nightmare difficulties which started after lvl 20-30.

The first 10 levels of Marvel though i basically press one or two buttons and kill everything on screen. I dont think i've ever gotten below 85% of my health, while taking as many mobs as i can to kill them with AOE. I was playing Thor btw.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Diablo 2 had legit difficulty way before hell difficulty, at least in the form of act bosses. Duriel was fucking brutal early on.

Hellers

I cant really speak about Marvel, because i've only done the beginning, but in all games You mentioned if You didnt overleveled and didnt know exactly what You were doing You could die very easily even in the first levels, let alone in nightmare difficulties which started after lvl 20-30.

The first 10 levels of Marvel though i basically press one or two buttons and kill everything on screen. I dont think i've ever gotten below 85% of my health, while taking as many mobs as i can to kill them with AOE. I was playing Thor btw.

I can't speak for the rest of the cast but Doreen Green isn't called "The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl" because some AIM science nerds provide a challenge. Tippy Toe knows the score. Amirite?

:)

It is possible to get a nice challenge before you hit 60. When you hit level 20 try some red terminal missions. Head into the busiest place in Midtown and stay alive. Once you've got 4 bosses, plus 30-40 elites and minions all filling the screen with death even my previously easymode feeling characters got a workout.You'll be kiting like a D3 player in no time :) The story on normal is not a challenge. It's just a timesink.

I'm just new to the game but I can certainly make it hard if I want to.

inky

The real answer is that Marvel Heroes is a more casual game, even if it has enough hooks for a more hardcore, play-10-hours-a-day audience.

The other thing is that they've added so much stuff and changed it so much mechanically that some content, like story mode, has been left behind. Do you guys remember how insane Magneto was at the beginning, even on story mode? Pyro would one shot you if you caught his flare, etc. Red terminals were genuinely hard content at launch. And most people didn't like that iirc. There were reasons for that tho, and that is because there were less things to do and they gated stuff. (remember terminal keys for $1? ;P).

The game has been "live" for 2 years now and there's a 40+ character roster so they pretty much want to make the 1-60 journey as easy as possible. Like I said before, lvl 60 is really not "endgame" as you can reach it in 1 or 2 days. You'll still be undergeared and underpowered for the real endgame portion. Heck, Omega leveling is what, 7500 levels on top? Most people don't bother with story content beyond the first time anymore because it is neither hard, nor efficient. I would say the only challenging thing in story mode would be doing Loki at like 26-27 and that was back when it was new. I haven't been since then.

As others have suggested, the way to make it hard for yourself is: Start in X-Defense (you will level fast, but the enemies will scale for you), then level in red terminals as soon as they are available (level 20ish I think), then move on to cosmic content once you hit 60. I can't guarantee that this will be enough tho.

Lanrutcon

One tip no-one gives to new players and it's super important:

Keep all your class artifacts. You can turn them in later for cool stuff at your crafter in batches of 4 or 5 (of the exact same ones of any level).

Sblargh

Banned
It's not a hard game. It is possibly one of the best time wasters in the entire gaming industry right now.
An industry dedicated to waste our time.

It's not a hard game. It is possibly one of the best time wasters in the entire gaming industry right now.
An industry dedicated to waste our time.

Their design vision changes a lot, and although that's not necessarily a bad thing, it changes what content is the most demanding at any one time. Red raids/the new Onslaught raid is what they wanted to be the most difficult for a time, and they focused a lot of effort on those. Obviously that's group content, so add whatever caveats / people hate raiding, etc.

Ultron mode should have been more than it was, or at least FUN and difficult, and on top of that they've already mentioned nerfing its difficulty. It would have been fine if it wasn't just a swath of killing trash over and over again.

For solo, small-group content, the Danger Room is coming, which with random affixes on enemies could hit an almost unfair level of difficulty.

That being said, their lack of interest or comment on making a more difficult terminal system is surprising. Cosmic terminals are easy to solo once you are geared (and on some heroes - when you're not) and they should look at upgrading to a higher difficulty terminal, or other pure solo content.

As for making leveling content more difficult, I don't know what to say. Run red terminals like everyone is saying. Most people can actually get from 1-60 in a few hours, especially today or tomorrow.

Costumes used to drop. I don't believe they are coded to drop any more, as in at all. Maaaaaybe from an event chest, but I highly doubt it. Someone more in the know can confirm this.

I did get two different costumes to drop for me way back during the beta and the month after release. They were trash default costumes for characters I already owned. What are you going to do?

-------------

Regarding Midtown Madness: holy crap, I forgot how much experience that gives you at 60, especially running the cosmic version. I went hog wild last night in there with Invisible Woman and Scarlet Witch and gained a ridiculous amount of omega points. I also fully leveled two 80 legendaries, because why not. Having the 200% character experience synergy doesn't hurt, but damn if that isn't the fastest experience I've seen in game.

I'm happy about the 800 Odin mark refund option. I purchased the level 80 version of the Eye and Axe, but I'm going to return the Eye and pick up something different. There are too few mental only characters that I care about playing (basically just Wanda) to have a dedicated item for her. The Axe will get a ton of use just by shifting it around to whatever physical character I'm playing at the time, since I tend to gravitate toward them. I'll likely pick up an energy-based item as my second option.

-------------

Also, I love the reminiscing of early Marvel Heroes. RIP Limbo, never forget!

Hellers

I bought a pet and slotted it in Storm. If I want to use the pet in a different character do I have to remove it from storm and move it? I was hoping it'd be like the teamup characters to be honest.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I bought a pet and slotted it in Storm. If I want to use the pet in a different character do I have to remove it from storm and move it? I was hoping it'd be like the teamup characters to be honest.

You do have to manually swap them, yeah.

Sblargh

Banned
Their design vision changes a lot, and although that's not necessarily a bad thing, it changes what content is the most demanding at any one time. Red raids/the new Onslaught raid is what they wanted to be the most difficult for a time, and they focused a lot of effort on those. Obviously that's group content, so add whatever caveats / people hate raiding, etc.

Ultron mode should have been more than it was, or at least FUN and difficult, and on top of that they've already mentioned nerfing its difficulty. It would have been fine if it wasn't just a swath of killing trash over and over again.

For solo, small-group content, the Danger Room is coming, which with random affixes on enemies could hit an almost unfair level of difficulty.

That being said, their lack of interest or comment on making a more difficult terminal system is surprising. Cosmic terminals are easy to solo once you are geared (and on some heroes - when you're not) and they should look at upgrading to a higher difficulty terminal, or other pure solo content.

As for making leveling content more difficult, I don't know what to say. Run red terminals like everyone is saying. Most people can actually get from 1-60 in a few hours, especially today or tomorrow.

I think one big worry they have is that if they do something really hard, it will just flat out lock certain heroes out of it. Which happened a bit on the early days of the green raid. And that's a very very bad thing, imo. Game breaking even. More game breaking than all of the content being on the easy side.

It's a Marvel game first and foremost. If your favorite Marvel hero sucks too much to do the fun stuff, that's it.

It's a Marvel game first and foremost. If your favorite Marvel hero sucks too much to do the fun stuff, that's it.

My first four 60s were Punisher, Captain America, Daredevil, and Jean Grey. They are all really solid right now, but they were hot garbage upon release. I know that pain all too real.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Got Iron Man to 42. He's alright, I suppose. Only levelled him since the Avengers buff is active.

Dunno who I'll level after he's 60, maybe finish Nightcrawler.

My first four 60s were Punisher, Captain America, Daredevil, and Jean Grey. They are all really solid right now, but they were hot garbage upon release. I know that pain all too real.

They're really close to hero parity now, (30-45 second TTKs on the raid dummy) and their plan going forward of releasing a hero then tweaking live to get them up to par will probably work. It's just taking even longer than it should have since the one dev who was most closely working on the 52 reviews and QOL's left the company.

Colossus and Ghost Rider were my first characters back in Feb 2014, and they both got left in the dust. I've since come back to GR after his QOL, but Colossus could use some love / tweaks. Just checked and his best TTK on the sustained dps thread is 57 seconds, so even he isn't that far off.

They're really close to hero parity now, (30-45 second TTKs on the raid dummy) and their plan going forward of releasing a hero then tweaking live to get them up to par will probably work. It's just taking even longer than it should have since the one dev who was most closely working on the 52 reviews and QOL's left the company.

Colossus and Ghost Rider were my first characters back in Feb 2014, and they both got left in the dust. I've since come back to GR after his QOL, but Colossus could use some love / tweaks. Just checked and his best TTK on the sustained dps thread is 57 seconds, so even he isn't that far off.

I agree. I think defensive and dodge-based characters need some love. Not invincible level of tanking, but it's pretty absurd that gearing Colossus heavily with +defense does almost nothing for his survivability in a raid or cosmic patrol. And dodge is practically worthless now.

Anoregon

Loki is a lot of fun and has great potential, but he's fallen behind a bit and needs a bit of dev help.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. I think defensive and dodge-based characters need some love. Not invincible level of tanking, but it's pretty absurd that gearing Colossus heavily with +defense does almost nothing for his survivability in a raid or cosmic patrol. And dodge is practically worthless now.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/193018/defence-is-worthless-in-cosmics#latest

Gearing for defense is totally worthless. You want ~20k HP, and very little else matters. To be clear, it makes a difference in Terminals, but for bosses, especially in the Cosmic patrols, it hardly makes a difference. It matters even less for the red Raid, which is built entirely around one-shot mechanics, which is uhh... hmmm... not very interesting, let's say. I can facetank every attack Surtur does, or any other boss, except for the ones that one-shot you. It's boring. But I'm not sure how to solve it, it's difficult design problem.

Sblargh

Banned
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/193018/defence-is-worthless-in-cosmics#latest

Gearing for defense is totally worthless. You want ~20k HP, and very little else matters. To be clear, it makes a difference in Terminals, but for bosses, especially in the Cosmic patrols, it hardly makes a difference. It matters even less for the red Raid, which is built entirely around one-shot mechanics, which is uhh... hmmm... not very interesting, let's say. I can facetank every attack Surtur does, or any other boss, except for the ones that one-shot you. It's boring. But I'm not sure how to solve it, it's difficult design problem.

And with well-time invuln. medkit, you need to avoid exactly 0 attacks for all of the red raid.

I don't even have inuln. medkit and the only attack that goes through cap's shield is Surtur's sword. Even for sisters, it's easy as hell to time the indestructible shield. (would be for Surtur, too, except it flats out ignore it, which is just bullshit)

Edit: goddamn, double post. Smite me!

Top Bottom