• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

I recently learned the Hickman y'all are always raving about isn't Tracy, so there's that.

I have an enormous amount of Hickman fatigue so I'm glad he's going out with a bang (apparently...as I'm six months behind on releases). To be fair though, Tracy Hickman is still an author of nerd fiction.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Hickman, I tried reading his Avengers run from the start but it kinda just does nothing for me. It's a bunch of high-concept sci-fi stuff but sorely lacking the human element, for me. I am reading the entire Infinity event on Marvel Unlimited though, seems like what he's been building towards, and it has its moments. New Avengers is okay as well. But what an off-the-wall choice for Marvel to hand him the reins for years.

Those snippets you guys are posting of Dr Doom are amazing.

He's got style.

Heh I always liked his parts in Avenging Spider-man.

AvengingSM_8_008a.jpg

Also, I am pretty sure I have posted this exact pic a couple of times here but it is worth reposting!

New%2BAvengers%2B(2013-)%2B023-014.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Uncle Doom is the best Doom.

Speaking of Hickman, I tried reading his Avengers run from the start but it kinda just does nothing for me. It's a bunch of high-concept sci-fi stuff but sorely lacking the human element, for me. I am reading the entire Infinity event on Marvel Unlimited though, seems like what he's been building towards, and it has its moments. New Avengers is okay as well. But what an off-the-wall choice for Marvel to hand him the reins for years.

should have read his FF/F4 instead

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's about time for the internet to turn on Hickman

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The only value of comics as a medium is for the 2% of decent stuff in them to be brought to tv/movies/video games anyway

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The only value of comics as a medium is for the 2% of decent stuff in them to be brought to tv/movies/video games anyway

there's TONS of decent stuff not brought over from comics.. not even close. I mean fox is on the verge of failing with Fantastic Four THREE TIMES IN A ROW, and FF has had tons of amazing stories JUST over the last 15 years alone (Waid, Hickman), not even counting everything by Lee/Kirby, Byrne, etc.

I mean I won't argue the signal to noise ratio being somewhat low.. but that's true of any medium. Still, in any given month there are at least a dozen books truly worth reading. Likewise, there are enough GREAT books on Marvel Unlimited to easily justify a $9.99/month subscription in any given month.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The best part of the shitty new FF movie is that Fox only even bothered to make it because they had to in order to keep the rights.

jon bones

i hope there's a costume sale on the Anniversary. need me some Starboost & TWS Stealth Suit.

there's TONS of decent stuff not brought over from comics.. not even close. I mean fox is on the verge of failing with Fantastic Four THREE TIMES IN A ROW, and FF has had tons of amazing stories JUST over the last 15 years alone (Waid, Hickman), not even counting everything by Lee/Kirby, Byrne, etc.

I mean I won't argue the signal to noise ratio being somewhat low.. but that's true of any medium. Still, in any given month there are at least a dozen books truly worth reading. Likewise, there are enough GREAT books on Marvel Unlimited to easily justify a $9.99/month subscription in any given month.

i have to imagine that post was what internet kids call "trolling"

Anoregon

i hope there's a costume sale on the Anniversary. need me some Starboost & TWS Stealth Suit.

i have to imagine that post was what internet kids call "trolling"

It was trolling, but it was just to upend noray and rhaknar's shameless flirting.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can someone help me with relics? Every build recommends Relic of Atlantis (Mainly), sometimes Gibborim, so what the hell do I do with the others?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It was trolling, but it was just to upend noray and rhaknar's shameless flirting.

man why you gotta throw me off my game

I'm not enjoying Infinity very much. I'm like halfway through it, should I skip the rest or is it like, Important?

Anoregon

Can someone help me with relics? Every build recommends Relic of Atlantis (Mainly), sometimes Gibborim, so what the hell do I do with the others?

Be upset that they are bad

Vecks

just put the others on characters you don't play as much. it takes forever to max them out anyway.

The movies are the best and worst part of Marvel. You have Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America 2, and Iron Man. So good. Then you have Thor 2. So bad.

Comics will remain a declining niche market with an equal mix of good and bad. Luckily, the $9.99 Marvel Unlimited subscription is a total steal so I'll stick with it.

borghe

see... this is the problem with "builds" on .info...

crit is a DPS gain in almost all scenarios with the way marvel heroes does DPS. The more/bigger you crit, the more DPS.

the thing is.... we are not talking night and day here. We're just not. Stacking 1000x Atlantis vs. 1000xAsgard is not going to get you from 1:20 TTK to :35 TTK. To be precise, stacking 1000 atlantis over 1000 Xandar gives you roughly a .2% DPS increase in real life numbers.

So.... if you are main-ing one guy... yeah, except in some cases (Iron Man, Juggernaut, summoners, etc), give them Atlantis. If you are just trying to build out a stable... give them whatever you want that makes sense..

on the note of relics.. I've gotten to the point that I am doing the 4xUniques for a stack of 50. Cash can be farmed... relics can't be (in any sane way). About the only way I will ever do one more chest is if/when I get my gear dealer to level 11.. as a chest will take a vendor from 11 to 19. Sadly I do now have like 200xChthon.... sigh...

The movies are the best and worst part of Marvel. You have Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America 2, and Iron Man. So good. Then you have Thor 2. So bad.

Comics will remain a declining niche market with an equal mix of good and bad. Luckily, the $9.99 Marvel Unlimited subscription is a total steal so I'll stick with it.

actually comics are overall stronger than they've been over the past 20 years right now. The direct market comic market has only "Shrunk" from its recent peak by about $55M ($395M->$345M), but those numbers have been significantly offset by digital and trade paperbacks.

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

While monthly floppy sales have dropped ~20% over the past ~18 years, TPB sales have grown almost 600%. And all of this is based on Diamond (direct market) and bookstores (traditional TPB), not including anything digital (comixology, Marvel Unlimited, etc). So not only is dollar revenue way up.. but actual readership is the highest its been since the early 90s.

Lashley

Yeah, I have Atlantis on Cap and thinking of sticking Asgard on SW

How do I unbound relics if they're bound to another character? Use the crafter?

Lashley

100k, just done it

asgard on cap and atlantis on sw

EDIT: Is cosmic dr doom medallion hard to get? Just dropped for mine and its the first time its ever dropped for me

borghe

"cosmic" I believe is just basically a "+1(or 2) Rank(s) to All Powers" affix for non-gear. Not sure on the overall rarity of it, but I mean we are not talking about a boss-specific artifact or unique or anything.. not even close. Just like a rare-er affix.

actually comics are overall stronger than they've been over the past 20 years right now. The direct market comic market has only "Shrunk" from its recent peak by about $55M ($395M->$345M), but those numbers have been significantly offset by digital and trade paperbacks.

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

While monthly floppy sales have dropped ~20% over the past ~18 years, TPB sales have grown almost 600%. And all of this is based on Diamond (direct market) and bookstores (traditional TPB), not including anything digital (comixology, Marvel Unlimited, etc). So not only is dollar revenue way up.. but actual readership is the highest its been since the early 90s.

I knew TPBs were blowing up. Image is killing it on trades. I didn't realize they were that strong, though. That's impressive.

I guess I mean comics are dead from the perspective of people showing up Wednesdays to their local shop and buying floppies. Aside from some crazy anomalies like Star Wars, top selling series max out at 100Kish. That's...not a lot of issues moving in a country of 350 million.

borghe

I knew TPBs were blowing up. Image is killing it on trades. I didn't realize they were that strong, though. That's impressive.

I guess I mean comics are dead from the perspective of people showing up Wednesdays to their local shop and buying floppies. Aside from some crazy anomalies like Star Wars, top selling series max out at 100Kish. That's...not a lot of issues moving in a country of 350 million.

sort of, sort of not. like you said, the growth IS there. On that link I posted, specifically look at the trade volume/dollars by Diamond Comics to see that the direct market (comic shops) is still VERY much alive but has the majority of its growth come from the trade market, not the floppy market. I mean (being cynical about it) it's so well know, that that's essentially how comics are written these days (the per-comic value of story has dropped considerably over the last 15 years.. let alone compared to the 50s and 60s).

It's just a changed market. But still very healthy. And comic shops are still (for the most part) very healthy every Wednesday. I'd imagine to marvel. DC, et al the explosive growth in the book stores AND in digital these past 15 (and ~4) years has just been icing on the cake.

The last thing to consider in this tangent is digital.. specifically that all of the companies through comixology see continued revenue on individual issues, beyond just collections. For Marvel to continue to see revenue from Amazing Spider-Man 150-160 (just random non-core issues), they'd need to keep a trade with those issues in print through never ending print runs. Not feasible. With digital, those issues can forever generate revenue with no expense from marvel outside of hosting.

tl'dr - comics are probably almost as healthy as they were by the early 90s.. the difference is that that "healthiness" looks different than it did during the Thursday nights at the comic shop (going back to Capital City before it was bought out by Marvel, who actually had real market share split with Diamond..)

Dec

Just unbind your relics back and forth unless you constantly change who you're playing.

My mains are MK and Thor who are both hybrid damage type dealers where second best would be asgard relics but they don't improve like 30% of my overall damage.

Atlantis is more of an improvement over asgard or xandar on heroes like that.

I'll be really happy when I finish my second stack of them :(

borghe

Asgard is actually fine over Atlantis.. Because of the "melee subsidy" of the game, even if 50% of your damage is coming from non-melee damage, going with Atlantis is only a ~1% DPS gain over Asgard. In your case it's like a ~0.6% DPS gain.

FWIW, at 100% DPS coming from melee, Asgard and Atlantis are theoretically on even footing. The only thing that would make or break Atlantis compared to Asgard is luck. Get super lucky and Atlantis could pull ahead of Asgard.. Get super unlucky and Atlantis could fall behind.

edit - I called it a melee subsidy... but I guess you could instead call it a ranged tax if you want. I get the theory.. they know melee has to stand in the fire, but don't want it where all they have to worry about is pressing 'M' every 10 seconds. Still, the end result is that because of the scale of the ranged/area/DOT relics, they are lower DPS than crit, period. Whereas Asgard you can actually choose on your playstyle (going more for bursty or sustained)

Just unbind your relics back and forth unless you constantly change who you're playing.

My mains are MK and Thor who are both hybrid damage type dealers where second best would be asgard relics but they don't improve like 30% of my overall damage.

Atlantis is more of an improvement over asgard or xandar on heroes like that.

I'll be really happy when I finish my second stack of them :(

This is me. I swap Atlantis around between whoever I'm playing the most at the moment, as I only have 560+ of them. There are cases where other options are equally viable, so I'll use those relics on a case by case basis. Generally speaking, Atlantis is king.

Dec

0.6% damage increase is cool with me. Though I think it is more than that in practice and there is a case by case element to picking a relic.

Moon Knight is the definition of a bursty hero, you don't want to gear for sustain.

Anoregon

40% off all X-men related stuff right right now. Given that an overall BOGO or hero/costume 50% sale is very likely next week, this sort of seems like an odd choice.

Azzurri

Quick newb question.

What do I do with purple, blue and green gear? I've been donating it to up my crafting and enchanting levels. Is that a good idea?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
40% off all X-men related stuff right right now. Given that an overall BOGO or hero/costume 50% sale is very likely next week, this sort of seems like an odd choice.

I wonder if those 50% on costume sales are really as common now as we are assuming they are. We had 2 very close together, but before that first one, wasnt it the first time ever costumes were that low? I remember we making a big deal out of it

jon bones

I wonder if those 50% on costume sales are really as common now as we are assuming they are. We had 2 very close together, but before that first one, wasnt it the first time ever costumes were that low? I remember we making a big deal out of it

Curious. I might have to bite on that Storm Mohawk costume, despite the incoming anniversary.

I'm still 30 or so ES away from unlocking her - I shouldn't have a problem buying the costume before I unlock her, right?

Rhaknar

Yo Frost can we have a Darla enhanced costume for Thing with the review?

4179ebaa951622b2c421396448b7756c.jpg

Did a bit of Cheevo hunting last night.

I was surprised by how few of the "Own all of 'x' heroe's uniques" I had.

Burned through a few stash tabs of spare uniques and ticked about half the roster's Uniques off. Didn't even know some of them existed!

Rhaknar

Aparently the Doom / Thing patch is also the team up 2.0 patch

Top Bottom