• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Drayco21

I'd never play Gambit, Luke Cage, She-Hulk

nod-of-approval.gif

or Squirrel Girl.

9mzKZY8.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is Gambit awful? I have him but haven't touched him yet.

Also, does Strange still require two hotbars to use?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is Gambit awful? I have him but haven't touched him yet.

Also, does Strange still require two hotbars to use?

I leveled him to 60 and enjoyed it, but I haven't really gone back.

Indignate

Squirrel Girl

I ignored everything you said after this.

I'm also into this game to see how these characters get represented, but I don't hold that to only characters I like. It's just interesting to me in general to sewhat they can do with any character they choose to include and if it turns out they did something really interesting with someones kit, I can play that character without caring who that character is (so far, Emma is the only one I don't care about that I've heavily geared out because I enjoyed playing her).

Even though I wouldn't play this game without the marvel license because I honestly think it's just above mediocre, stuff like the little references in item descriptions do nothing for me. Again, I'm not heavily invested into comic books, so half of the references I probably wouldn't even get to begin with. It's probably also the primary reason why I can enjoy a character I don't like as I don't have any major past relevance with them or see them pop up as often as one would when reading comics (due to crossover events or whatever) and build up a strong sense of dislike.

I guess I can see why one would want to entirely avoid specific characters, I'm just coming from a place of "hey you might be missing out" and of wanting to experience everything the game has to offer (I've always been a person who has wanted to do everything in a game making RPGs an absolute chore) but if you're a person who wouldn't care about missing something or have a previous so to say negative relationship with these characters, I can see how you'd be fine completely disregarding them.

I on the other hand will play Deadpool even though I entirely despise him with my soul entirely and forever entirely.

Calcium

Banned
I'll never understand the love for Squirrel Girl.

IEven though I wouldn't play this game without the marvel license because I honestly think it's just above mediocre, stuff like the little references in item descriptions do nothing for me. Again, I'm not heavily invested into comic books, so half of the references I probably wouldn't even get to begin with.

So you aren't into comics, but you wouldn't play it without the Marvel license? So are you a fan of the MCU or something? Just curious why you'd play this in favor of other ARPGs if you aren't a comic fan.

Gambit's great and Strange (Incantation spec) will always require double bars. It's just his thing.

Damn, really? That sucks. I can comfortably play with around 8 keys, not sure if I can handle 2 full bars.

Indignate

So you aren't into comics, but you wouldn't play it without the Marvel license? So are you a fan of the MCU or something? Just curious why you'd play this in favor of other ARPGs if you aren't a comic fan.

I've always been a fan of the two companies, from being a kid in the 90's and getting into the shows, continuing into current stuff as well (EMH and Young Justice were both excellent and I do for the most part tend to enjoy the films). I also just generally like superheroes as a concept. As for comics, I'll read some runs as trades here and there, but for the most part I can't straight up get into comics due to how they're structured as a whole.

So yeah, wouldn't play this if it didn't have Marvel plastered all over it. Half of my enjoyment is due to that. I even gave Infinite Crises a try, but even the DC license couldn't save that game.

Calcium

Banned
I've always been a fan of the two companies, from being a kid in the 90's and getting into the shows, continuing into current stuff as well (EMH and Young Justice were both excellent and I do for the most part tend to enjoy the films). I also just generally like superheroes as a concept.

Ah, that makes sense.

As for comics, I'll read some runs as trades here and there, but for the most part I can't straight up get into comics due to how they're structured as a whole.

I understand that completely. That was one of the factors in my not reading comics for a long, long time. I've only recently (the last 3 years or so) gotten back into reading them.

So yeah, wouldn't play this if it didn't have Marvel plastered all over it. Half of my enjoyment is due to that. I even gave Infinite Crises a try, but even the DC license couldn't save that game.

Haha, I didn't even know this game is existed. Outside of the Arkham series I think I've only played DC Universe Online and that only lasted a couple weeks.

Good.

And damn about Strange :( Only thing stopping me playing him

Damn, really? That sucks. I can comfortably play with around 8 keys, not sure if I can handle 2 full bars.

You guys don't have to use both bars to play Strange. You can give up several skills and still have a solid kit to use. It won't be ideal if you want to do the most difficult content, but it'll still allow you to get through everything else.

Lashley

You guys don't have to use both bars to play Strange. You can give up several skills and still have a solid kit to use. It won't be ideal if you want to do the most difficult content, but it'll still allow you to get through everything else.

I wouldn't be able to enjoy him. I'd feel like I was missing out and doing shit dps.

Indignate

I understand that completely. That was one of the factors in my not reading comics for a long, long time. I've only recently (the last 3 years or so) gotten back into reading them.

I made a strong attempt with The New 52, but it just isn't for me. With the wait between issues, my compulsive need to want to experience everything so I don't feel like I'm missing anything, the financial investment, it's all too much. I maybe made it four months until I stopped.

Ultimate was a bit easier for me as there was only 3 ongoing titles at that time, so I lasted a tad bit longer with those.

I still have a nice fat stack of comics in my closet that I don't know what to do with. That was another problem that could only grow.

Haha, I didn't even know this game is existed. Outside of the Arkham series I think I've only played DC Universe Online and that only lasted a couple weeks.

I played DCUO for a bit when it came to the PS3. It's where I came up with my super clever name that I use for Marvel Heroes.

I did try that Strange Incantation spec once, no idea why I did as I knew right from the get-go that I'd never be able to do it properly. And I wasn't able to do it.

He's a fun, flashy character, but yeah, I'm just running some half-assed one-bar spec now so he's not up there with my Scarlet/Hulk for ease of use/doing quick dailies etc.

I did try that Strange Incantation spec once, no idea why I did as I knew right from the get-go that I'd never be able to do it properly. And I wasn't able to do it.

He's a fun, flashy character, but yeah, I'm just running some half-assed one-bar spec now so he's not up there with my Scarlet/Hulk for ease of use/doing quick dailies etc.

Yeah but hardly anyone else is either. Once you get a taste of those select few...

I can't stand the Fantastic Four, never have. Even as a kid I thought they were incredibly lame. So I just wouldn't want to play as one of them, even if the character played well.

How can you hate the Fantastic Four? They're the superhero family! At the very least Invisible Woman is absolutely crazy cool. She could just crush enemies into a little cube or asphyxiate em by blocking off their lungs, but she chooses not to and instead utilize her force fields for defensive measures and blunt force to knock people out. She literally holds back. She's also a cool mum and gets along really well with Doom. Let that sink in for a minute - Doom actually likes Sue. She even allowed him to name her and Reed's daughter. That's how cool she is.
It just makes no sense to me to think Invisible Woman is lame. I can even understand Reed cause his super power is goofy, and Torch because he's a prick, and Thing because he's just a slightly less strong Hulk, but Sue? C'mon Migrant.

I even gave Infinite Crises a try, but even the DC license couldn't save that game.

I really wanted to like that game, especially since some of the characters were kinda fun to play, but I hate top-down MOBAs, and that game was a really bad top-down MOBA.
Doesn't help that they had like 500 different versions of Batman, Wonder Woman and Joker instead of having more cool and unique characters such as Zatanna or Starro.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I like how you say you hate top down mobas as if those are the outlier and not the norm :p

I like how you say you hate top down mobas as if those are the outlier and not the norm :p

I know they're the norm, but that doesn't change that I don't like playing them (and believe me, I tried most of the more common ones ever since Dota 1 lol). On the other hand, I really enjoy playing Smite or Awesomenauts.

Lashley

Also guys, how do I apply affixes to costumes etc?

Is it through the cores? And is it random or do I choose?

I'm such a noob

Lashley

Awesome, I'll probably prestige SW so I can add a decent core to her costume. Added some shit one because I thought I could change it.

Indignate

I really wanted to like that game, especially since some of the characters were kinda fun to play, but I hate top-down MOBAs,

You're both wrong.

It's isometric.

And that game sucked hard.

Doesn't help that they had like 500 different versions of Batman, Wonder Woman and Joker instead of having more cool and unique characters such as Zatanna or Starro.

They did add Zatana.

Bikkun

Neo Member
How can you hate the Fantastic Four? They're the superhero family! At the very least Invisible Woman is absolutely crazy cool. She could just crush enemies into a little cube or asphyxiate em by blocking off their lungs, but she chooses not to and instead utilize her force fields for defensive measures and blunt force to knock people out. She literally holds back. She's also a cool mum and gets along really well with Doom. Let that sink in for a minute - Doom actually likes Sue. She even allowed him to name her and Reed's daughter. That's how cool she is.
It just makes no sense to me to think Invisible Woman is lame. I can even understand Reed cause his super power is goofy, and Torch because he's a prick, and Thing because he's just a slightly less strong Hulk, but Sue? C'mon Migrant.

Adding to that, this is the quote on the comic page of "Took A Level In Badass" on TV Tropes.

"I'm sick of adventure — and peril!! I just want to live a normal life! I want to set up housekeeping as Mrs. Reed Richards — I want to be involved with super-markets — instead of super-villains!"
— Sue Richards, Invisible Girl in the 1960s, Fantastic Four

"You're pathetic. One of the best minds on the planet and you waste it for years, doing magic tricks — then trying to best a man who'd never really harm you, despite your endless provocation. But that's the difference between my husband and me. He doesn't understand revenge. Me? I can't decide which of the many ways I can hurt you I'm going to use."
— Sue Richards, Invisible Woman in the 2000s, Fantastic Four

Volimar

Really? It wasn't letting me before.

Good to know though! Can you farm cores or are they just random drops?

Mostly random, but keep in mind only certain cores work for certain heroes. For example, most mutants like Rogue and Squirrel Girl can only use the Activated X-Gene core.

Indignate

One day this game is actually going to be good.

Is the plan to get rid of the tiers of elements?

Yes, that's part of the plan as well, but there are many small details to work out around that and a fair chunk of work to redo recipes, loot tables, etc.

One day this game is actually going to be good.

All they need to do is make it so, provided the elements are in your inventory (or the ingredients stash for that matter), simply right-clicking on the recipe will automatically use the elements required if you have them available.

Manbig

I've always been a fan of the two companies, from being a kid in the 90's and getting into the shows, continuing into current stuff as well (EMH and Young Justice were both excellent and I do for the most part tend to enjoy the films). I also just generally like superheroes as a concept. As for comics, I'll read some runs as trades here and there, but for the most part I can't straight up get into comics due to how they're structured as a whole.

I'm with ya on this boat. Though I did read a few things like Runaways.

Drayco21

I still want Nico to make the cut for playable in this game.

I've liked pretty much everything out of Secret Wars so far except Runaways. Just hasn't grabbed me at all.

At least Runaways is coherent; that's more than we can say about the trainwreck that Ultimate End is.

Calcium

Banned
How can you hate the Fantastic Four? It just makes no sense to me to think Invisible Woman is lame. I can even understand Reed cause his super power is goofy, and Torch because he's a prick, and Thing because he's just a slightly less strong Hulk, but Sue? C'mon Migrant.

She very well could be as cool as you say, but I'll never know.

Those early Fantastic Four issues were pretty boring, but that's probably more to do with the time they were written in. However, all the major comic characters seem to be introduced in FF. Still... if you're a female in the Marvel Universe during the 60s you're often told to stay behind and look after the car or raise the troop's morale!

Top Bottom