• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

I actually think think MH has gotten to the point where it would still be a solid game without the Marvel license. Some characters are just straight up fun to play independent of who they are. There are definitely still some important fundamental changes that need to be made to make the game properly great, but it's getting there. I think the game's greatest problem at this point lies in its items, funny/sadly enough. Gearing, building, and speccing your character(s) is linear and clear cut. Gaz needs to pump more resources into the items team, because the variety and quantity they get out is actually quite pitiful.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think think MH has gotten to the point where it would still be a solid game without the Marvel license. Some characters are just straight up fun to play independent of who they are. There are definitely still some important fundamental changes that need to be made to make the game properly great, but it's getting there. I think the game's greatest problem at this point lies in its items, funny/sadly enough. Gearing, building, and speccing your character(s) is linear and clear cut. Gaz needs to pump more resources into the items team, because the variety and quantity they get out is actually quite pitiful.

Yup slow incremental changes which have been overlooked. I actually dont like diablos loot its just get ting ur dmg to stupid high numbers. Marvel has same problem defence isnt viable but gaz has said they are changing the system s

I actually really enjoy the game and play it a heck lot more than diablo etc. I had poe since alpha release and it never has enticed me much.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hate when people say this game wouldnt be anything without marvel lore. What point you trying to make ? If they had captain america fighting rocky in game you would be like wtf this isnt marvel.

people dont mean if you stripped the license NOW or added non-license things. People mean if it was generic non licensed heroes from the start, say like City of Heroes / Champions online they wouldnt play it (probably like they dont play PoE, or Grim Dawn, or Torchlight etc). I for sure wouldnt play just on the strenghts of the game itself

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
people dont mean if you stripped the license NOW or added non-license things. People mean if it was generic non licensed heroes from the start, say like City of Heroes / Champions online they wouldnt play it (probably like they dont play PoE, or Grim Dawn, or Torchlight etc). I for sure wouldnt play just on the strenghts of the game itself

Still a pointless thing to say i can apply that to many things.

Hell people are saying that bout mgs now kojima is gone

Its a silly thing to say really i wont play x game if this was lifted from it ok well that wont get lifted from it so

Queen you have routinely ignored my point. Marvel Heroes used to be a game I played all the time, UNLIKE Diablo or PoE, which are merely in the same genre. In both of those games, I come back when they add new uniques/legendaries, or new currencies that are specifically of interest to me. That happens to coincide with seasons.

Marvel basically used to have a new season every month - you are right on that - but almost every new hero this year has been boring, the events have been boring, and the raids/story modes/one-shots have been pretty underwhelming and/or non-existent. I mean how many times did I see you complain about Cosmic Ultron not being added yet on this forum, or the constant joking about the last chapter of story mode (still un-implemented)?

I am hoping that the Danger Room is fun, that's all. I don't get why you're so angry that I mentioned that the one thing you're raving about - the lore - isn't actually inherent to the game. You like the stories from the comics, and that's enough to sustain your playstyle. It's not enough for me lately, and I used to think it was. I never even said Diablo was good for lore, or any ARPG. The actual narrative of all ARPG's is pretty abysmal, MH included.

And Frost, I totally agree that if the loot was better in this game, if it actually introduced variety for individual heroes' playstyles, it would totally stand on its own without the license.

edit: and the entire reason Diablo or PoE were brought up was to illustrate the fact that Marvel Heroes, for me, is now a game I play as infrequently as those two. No other comparison was being made except for the genre being the same.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I would agree that MH probably has the weakest loot situation of the current ARPG scene. Every hero only having like 1-3 reasonable gear options per slot lends itself to the inevitable cookie cutter specs for every hero. There is a ton of gear in MH, but most of it doesn't really do anything other than make you hit harder and die slower. Nothing really changes how you play a hero.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Queen you have routinely ignored my point. Marvel Heroes used to be a game I played all the time, UNLIKE Diablo or PoE, which are merely in the same genre. In both of those games, I come back when they add new uniques/legendaries, or new currencies that are specifically of interest to me. That happens to coincide with seasons.

Marvel basically used to have a new season every month - you are right on that - but almost every new hero this year has been boring, the events have been boring, and the raids/story modes/one-shots have been pretty underwhelming and/or non-existent. I mean how many times did I see you complain about Cosmic Ultron not being added yet on this forum, or the constant joking about the last chapter of story mode (still un-implemented)?

I am hoping that the Danger Room is fun, that's all. I don't get why you're so angry that I mentioned that the one thing you're raving about - the lore - isn't actually inherent to the game. You like the stories from the comics, and that's enough to sustain your playstyle. It's not enough for me lately, and I used to think it was. I never even said Diablo was good for lore, or any ARPG. The actual narrative of all ARPG's is pretty abysmal, MH included.

And Frost, I totally agree that if the loot was better in this game, if it actually introduced variety for individual heroes' playstyles, it would totally stand on its own without the license.

edit: and the entire reason Diablo or PoE were brought up was to illustrate the fact that Marvel Heroes, for me, is now a game I play as infrequently as those two. No other comparison was being made except for the genre being the same.

Wanna know something interesting ive not read one marvel comic ever. And i know lots about many heroes because of this game. This is something even David has gone on to mention many of the players are actually new to the story etc.

Cosmic ultron still isnt in the game something that annoys ywa content is getting bare. Doomsaw mentioned something a while ago about why chaptet 10 was delayed which was due to some technical issues. I think this issue links up to when doomsaw told david he wants to step down soon. So they had to start training people thus delayed content in the mean time i think the ultronnzone and places like wakanda were doomsaw and co getting the new people use to making things thus in effect delayed chapter 10 etc

I think danger room will be good because it will be fun for end game heroes but i can see it also tying into lore of comics like a danger room sequence to vs magneto etc.

Going by doomsaws leaving post it links up to why chapter 10 is taking so long. Considering bentle is the one making it and his first zone was wakanda which came out last year which happen to be when chapter 10 was delayed. Have bentle flack earlier cos he made wakanda but ill give him benefit of doubt. Most of the devs have done good n bad things.

Like frost mentioned before to me artofrawr made the heroes at start which were poor then up till when he left he turned them around this also applies to other devs there doing similar things.

I actually cannot pin point exactly what it is that holds me to the game but something does and i like it. And its a similar thing to guild wars 1 i played that game over 15000 hours accross 4 years and i dont know what held me but it was something and i liked it.

Wanna know something interesting ive not read one marvel comic ever. And i know lots about many heroes because of this game. This is something even David has gone on to mention many of the players are actually new to the story etc.

Cosmic ultron still isnt in the game something that annoys ywa content is getting bare. Doomsaw mentioned something a while ago about why chaptet 10 was delayed which was due to some technical issues. I think this issue links up to when doomsaw told david he wants to step down soon. So they had to start training people thus delayed content in the mean time i think the ultronnzone and places like wakanda were doomsaw and co getting the new people use to making things thus in effect delayed chapter 10 etc

I think danger room will be good because it will be fun for end game heroes but i can see it also tying into lore of comics like a danger room sequence to vs magneto etc.

Going by doomsaws leaving post it links up to why chapter 10 is taking so long. Considering bentle is the one making it and his first zone was wakanda which came out last year which happen to be when chapter 10 was delayed. Have bentle flack earlier cos he made wakanda but ill give him benefit of doubt. Most of the devs have done good n bad things.

Like frost mentioned before to me artofrawr made the heroes at start which were poor then up till when he left he turned them around this also applies to other devs there doing similar things.

I actually cannot pin point exactly what it is that holds me to the game but something does and i like it. And its a similar thing to guild wars 1 i played that game over 15000 hours accross 4 years and i dont know what held me but it was something and i liked it.

Yeah I totally get that. I am surprised myself because I never liked ARPG's at all until this one, and now it's been a slippery slope to others.

I am gonna try to play a bit more over the next few weeks and prep some characters for Danger Room. Like Gothos said, Iron Fist sounds really awesome and I hope they do him justice. Then there's probably some surprise stuff with MH2016 when that officially releases. So there are reasons to play, I just am a little burned out personally :)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with Queen when she says that it's weird and reductive to argue the game wouldn't be as good without the license - I mean, okay? But so what? Aesthetics are important to any game, why should this be different? I mean, how can you really separate the aesthetics from the way it plays? Iceman wouldn't be Iceman. If aesthetics didn't matter, you could strip all aesthetic layers (and by "aesthetic" i mean all aspects related to audiovisual presentation) from any game and it would be the same, right? I mean, mechanically you'd be correct. But imagine playing any game totally abstracted - characters replaced by dots, everything being wireframe, whatever - of course it would be less fun. Would Marvel Heroes be less fun without the license? Of course, because that's part of the whole game experience. You're playing as the hero, and with that comes all the baggage you're bringing into that - you've seen the movies, read the comics (or not) etc. The same way one might enjoy God of War 3 more if they've played 1 and 2, because that changes what we bring into the experience.

Diablo 3 might not be building on much - speaking for myself, I have no knowledge of Diablo lore beyond the basics, so I have no preconceived notions of who the playable characters are or should be, but because of the aesthetics, I have an image in my head of who my Barbarian is, and because of how his moves look and sound, there are still feelings associated with that. If the Barbarian would be a stick figure, I would enjoy playing him significantly less.

So yeah, no, Marvel Heroes wouldn't be as good without the license - so what? Without the license it literally wouldn't be Marvel Heroes. What is even the point of trying to separate the two. Aesthetics matter to all games, MH is no different. If you're saying "MH wouldn't be as good without the license" you're saying "MH wouldn't be as good if it didn't look, sound and feel the same". Which is pretty self-evident, when you think about it, and it goes for all games.

/endrant

I agree with Queen when she says that it's weird and reductive to argue the game wouldn't be as good without the license - I mean, okay? But so what? Aesthetics are important to any game, why should this be different? I mean, how can you really separate the aesthetics from the way it plays? Iceman wouldn't be Iceman. If aesthetics didn't matter, you could strip all aesthetic layers (and by "aesthetic" i mean all aspects related to audiovisual presentation) from any game and it would be the same, right? I mean, mechanically you'd be correct. But imagine playing any game totally abstracted - characters replaced by dots, everything being wireframe, whatever - of course it would be less fun. Would Marvel Heroes be less fun without the license? Of course, because that's part of the whole game experience. You're playing as the hero, and with that comes all the baggage you're bringing into that - you've seen the movies, read the comics (or not) etc. The same way one might enjoy God of War 3 more if they've played 1 and 2, because that changes what we bring into the experience.

Diablo 3 might not be building on much - speaking for myself, I have no knowledge of Diablo lore beyond the basics, so I have no preconceived notions of who the playable characters are or should be, but because of the aesthetics, I have an image in my head of who my Barbarian is, and because of how his moves look and sound, there are still feelings associated with that. If the Barbarian would be a stick figure, I would enjoy playing him significantly less.

So yeah, no, Marvel Heroes wouldn't be as good without the license - so what? Without the license it literally wouldn't be Marvel Heroes. What is even the point of trying to separate the two. Aesthetics matter to all games, MH is no different. If you're saying "MH wouldn't be as good without the license" you're saying "MH wouldn't be as good if it didn't look, sound and feel the same". Which is pretty self-evident, when you think about it, and it goes for all games.

/endrant

The point though is that the ONLY reason I'm still playing the game is the license. There's nothing else to it that interests me. I might as well be playing Marvel Puzzle Quest, I get the same enjoyment out of both at this point.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The point though is that the ONLY reason I'm still playing the game is the license. There's nothing else to it that interests me. I might as well be playing Marvel Puzzle Quest, I get the same enjoyment out of both at this point.

Sounds like u just dont really like the game lol and i mean that with no offense.

Look at when nintendo changed the aesthic of zelda with wind waker the game didnt feel zelda much at all to be frank.

Sounds like u just dont really like the game lol and i mean that with no offense.

Well like I said before, I'm definitely burned out, but they've offered nothing this year that's really been an improvement from before 2015.

You can read through this thread. I was the game's biggest apologist. Even when you shit on it at times as you mentioned your takedowns of certain devs, or "sky is falling" sentiment that frequently occurs on boards, I defended it.

Other than Iceman, Doctor Doom, and maybe the returns of the Big 10, I can't think of anything they've added since January that has been really exciting.

...and I'm done giving my "hot takes" on this game. I'm more frustrated that the devs haven't delivered on a lot of stuff, and I've spent a lot of money (to me) on this game, with not that much return in the last few months.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Limbo was good i thought actually. Armor event isnt that bad. I think people just dont know what they want but that's mmos in a nutshell they get what they want but move on to another complaint

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
someone asked ryolnir in the 5 things you want changed thing what he wants changed his reply

things they are working on

I don't think I could narrow it to a top 5, but here are things I'm working on designing with the team right now/thinking about and they include changes as well as new stuff.

In no particular order:

1) Crafting Changes. Changing how the elements are handled, making crafting smarter with how it deals with elements. There's a lot of solutions that seem obvious but won't work, so this is on our minds a lot lately.

2) Danger Room Loot - should be rewarding enough that playing ONLY Danger Room is a viable option due to the amount of variety. Items team has an awesome system figured out for this.

3) Relics. Relic balance. Relic binding. Thinking about this a lot.

4) Rerolling costume affixes. Definitely not great as is.

5) Dodge/Defense System. Hard to balance content to be hard if gearing defensively is not viable + balanced.

Bonus: Improving Any Hero Uniques such as adding a new type of Stark Tech slots to them so you can customize them as you see fit. Could really open up itemization for all heroes. There should be more options here and I don't mean raid uniques versus OP hero specific items.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The double Cosmic Loot has been enabled for a few weeks due to perceived changes in Cosmic Midtown. (Ninja Edit: The OP is actually about terminals!)

I'll give an update on that next week.

lol

Limbo would've been a lot better if the actual Limbo would've dropped a bit more loot and maybe at least 1 Mayhem box, and if the takedown quests would both not have varying box rewards (some of them only gave 2, some gave 4), and also not include randomly spawning bosses like Spider-Clone or Gorgon.

J-Tier

Apparently Gwenpool is going to be a thing.

The Gweniverse is coming.

Gwendevil, Iron Gwen, Gwen Machine, Ice Gwen, Gwenbit, Gwenverine, Gwenom, The Gwen Goblin, Ant-Gwen, Gwen Rider, Gwen-Hulk, Howard the Gwen, Gwen Cage, Gwencrawler, Gwenisher, Star-Gwen...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
new winter soldier unique
slot 1 melee
yBwps35.jpg

slot 3 range
1mL7xXb.jpg

Drayco21

Apparently Gwenpool is going to be a thing.

The Gweniverse is coming.

Gwendevil, Iron Gwen, Gwen Machine, Ice Gwen, Gwenbit, Gwenverine, Gwenom, The Gwen Goblin, Ant-Gwen, Gwen Rider, Gwen-Hulk, Howard the Gwen, Gwen Cage, Gwencrawler, Gwenisher, Star-Gwen...

Man, I want to leave this shitty alternate universe where fucking Gwen Stacey is the only spider-family member that gets pushed, Bendis and Humphries are in charge of Marvel Cosmic, and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl exists, and go to one where comic books don't suck.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
16 hour work shift sucks. Still got half hour pleaseee hallllp

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Yea but its like a restraunt customer walks in right before close wanna call them a cunt but know they will spend money so u dont close

GManDH

very interesting arts. now lets see if they become essential to any builds. doesnt look like it but im sure they will be fun for some heroes.

Volimar

I like the +3 energy on the flamethrower. The +2 Strength and Durability on the bodysuit might help some of the squishy characters. Not everything can be BiS.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Why are procs on items still completely like garbage? a 5k damage proc with 30s cooldown? why

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that items arent just account bound instead of hero bound, again, in a game with over 50 heroes, is baffling

You know what the best part about that gameinformer poll was?
In the thread about it on the forums, a shitload of people complained it had no mutants.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Volimar

I still want a Captain Hammer team up voiced by Nathan Fillion. Whedon made Avengers, that makes Dr. Horrible characters practically canon!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
asros (item dev taking over from amthua ) posted this

Slot 1 hero specifics should not be better than fragment of twilight.

he best start nerfing hulks slot 1 then

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I went to a big renaissance faire yesterday and there was a deadpool, because why not.

Top Bottom