• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I probably won't.

But I'll think about doing it.

So like everyone of us trying to play it, we can think about it, but the game won't let you. Carbine are making Gaz look like From Software

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
the power of the waifu is unstoppable

Volimar

So will we get cool angel powers?

Boy they really messed with her origin once she came to Marvel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_(comics)

During the Age of Ultron storyline, Angela is revealed to be alive and has been pulled from Heaven as a result of Wolverine's damage to the Omniverse.[3] In a combination of rage and confusion, she charges towards Earth from outer space, only to be intercepted by the Guardians of the Galaxy, causing her to join the team.[4]

During the Original Sin storyline, it is revealed that she is Aldrif, the daughter of Odin and Frigga, making her sister to Thor and Loki. She was "killed" as an infant during Asgard's war with the Angels of the Tenth Realm, called "Heven." This crime resulted in Odin severing the Tenth Realm from the other nine as punishment for their attack. Thor learns of his sister's existence when he is exposed to the secrets of Uatu, the Watcher's eye, by the Orb. He returns to Asgard to confront his mother about his sister's existence, and subsequently travels to the Tenth Realm with Loki to learn more about his sister.[5]

The Guardians of the Galaxy and Angela are attacked in warp space by a band of pirates, called Warpjackers. During the battle, Angela abandons the Guardians when the adult Loki telepathically tells her that the portal to Heven is open and that she can return home. As Thor battles Heven's guards, Angela appears having been guided to the doorway to Heven by Loki, and prepares to battle Thor.[6] Angela defeats Thor, and is then told by the Queen of Angels to bring Thor to her. The now-female Loki has aligned with the Angels, telling Thor that "being on the winning side seems just perfect."[7]

While Loki leads an Angel fleet to Asgard, under the false pretense to help them destroy it, Thor escapes captivity and engages Angela in combat once again.[8] The fight between Thor and Angela is interrupted when Odin (who Loki freed from his self-exile) arrives and recognizes Angela as his daughter, revealing Angela's true lineage as the long thought dead Aldrif. A long time ago, the Angel tasked to dispose of Aldrif's body found out the baby was alive and raised her as one of the Angels under the name of Angela. In light of this revelation, the Queen of Angels grants Angela her life, pardoning her for her service to the Angels, but exiles her from Heven due to her lineage.

After leaving Heven, Odin tells Thor, Loki, and Angela that he still loves his children. Angela then decides to leave in order to explore the other realms

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
lol, apparently the patch reset everyone's G's to zero. I'm sure that will be fixed, but it's quite a fuckup.

I fucking hate this game. And comic books. And everything else.

Fucking Spawn.

I'd rather have her than fucking Miles or even Kamala (I have nothing against her, but she's just gonna be a Mr. Fantastic clone). But how did she take it over Wasp or Green Goblin? C'mon.

Also where's my Captain Britain and Hercules, gaz.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I fucking hate this game. And comic books. And everything else.

Fucking Spawn.

Forget Spawn and read the book, there is ZERO chance you wont like it since youre a Aaron Thor fanboy. Its just a bunch of Asgard goodness and it nails de fish out of water theme. In fact I bet the majority of people bitching about her never read anything shes been in Marvel.

Drayco21

Forget Spawn and read the book, there is ZERO chance you wont like it since youre a Aaron Thor fanboy. Its just a bunch of Asgard goodness and it nails de fish out of water theme. In fact I bet the majority of people bitching about her never read anything shes been in Marvel.

I hated her in Bendis' Space Skrulls, I hated her Original Sin mini, and I read the Secret Wars books and didn't like any of that either, so I imagine the Gillen ongoing is more of that and not for me.

This dislike is probably 100% genuine and not at all a side-effect of my self-destructive hatred of Bendis' batshit Marvel Cosmic trainwreck rubbing off on everything else she shows up in because that's what got her here to begin with.

Anoregon

By the way guys I downloaded marvel future fight last night and it seems pretty fun. KEPOW told me to get it!

Rhaknar

I hated her in Bendis' Space Skrulls, I hated her Original Sin mini, and I read the Secret Wars books and didn't like any of that either, so I imagine the Gillen ongoing is more of that and not for me.

This dislike is probably 100% genuine and not at all a side-effect of my self-destructive hatred of Bendis' batshit Marvel Cosmic trainwreck rubbing off on everything else she shows up in because that's what got her here to begin with.

youre turning into such a DC fanboy, it breaks my heart

are there clones on DC?

edit: wait, are the Guardians 3000 going to be on the GotG book?

GuardiansOfInfinity_1_Marco_Rudy.jpg

Drayco21

By the way guys I downloaded marvel future fight last night and it seems pretty fun. KEPOW told me to get it!

Based Kepow, advocating the best Marvel game on the market.

youre turning into such a DC fanboy, it breaks my heart

are there clones on DC?

A whole team of them, even.

130907_notasdelmes_05.jpg

Written by Keith "I wrote Annihilation and it's the best book Marvel ever published" Giffen himself.

Edit: Dan Abnett is writing a new ongoing replacing Guardians 3000 in ANAD; it features the Skrull Guardians hanging out with the 3000 team, and another mystery TBA team. Bendis wouldn't use them because that would require Bendis to read a book he himself didn't write to know who they are, and we all know he'd never do that.

Anoregon

Sometimes I wish kepow knew better than to troll political threads so that he wasn't banned, but then he wouldn't be kepow.

inky

I used to play Marvel Avengers Alliance way back when, but then I realized these mobile collect them all games all have the same shell and the gameplay differences aren't enough to bother. First few times are fun, then they become a second job that make you feel every second you are not maximizing your playtime is wasted. Fuck that.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Future Fight is awful and so is every other Marvel f2p mobile game. Awful awful business models. Boring repetitive gameplay. I hate those games. I recognize I may hate them to an unreasonable degree. But only because they're so bad.

Kitty is fun tho. I've been enjoying leveling her. I'm just super tired so I'll probably play some more tomorrow.

Indignate

Kitty can only do like half of the emotes.

Why ship an unfinished character?

I'm at least glad that they gave her different breast physics then every other character in the game.

inky

Future Fight is awful and so is every other Marvel f2p mobile game. Awful awful business models. Boring repetitive gameplay. I hate those games. I recognize I may hate them to an unreasonable degree. But only because they're so bad.

Nothing unreasonable about that. They have always been storefronts first, games second last. The proper genre definition for something like FF is "currency manager collection screens with slight action elements". But like, they are not even good "management simulators" or stuff like that, they are just so segmented and bloated with the sole purpose to obscure the stupid ratios of time/money investment required to accomplish anything in them.

I admit that Avengers Alliance is my guilty pleasure and I enjoy it quite a bit, but even if I had a device that could run Future fight I wouldn't play it anyway cause it looks like rubbish. I really like the artstyle of it, though. Also playable Ultron, fuck yes.

inky

Some haters up in here. Have y'all even put an hour into the game to hate it this much? Inky's assessment makes me think not.

I have. And I played Avenger's Alliance much more than that. What makes you think not? It's almost the same "game". You pick missions where you take a team and go through small corridors and you tap your way against small groups of enemies. You turn a left or right, you go through a small load, you repeat till you get to a boss that you tap or use a few abilities to kill, or switch to a different hero for some variety's sake. That takes all of 2 to 3 minutes to do it. The more friends and money you put into the game the better it goes. Occasionally you get a new low star hero out of a roster of dozens and you do it all again with that one. Between missions you get dialogue scenes that are longer than the missions themselves and they usually revolve around some ISO-8 shit, Marvel's favorite mobile gameplay element. (read currency)

Then you enter the "main game" where you see your roster, go through menus and check all the currencies you have, then go into one of many character sub menus (skills, levels, equipment, ranks, etc.) and apply one of the currencies to slightly level up one of many of those elements. Or better yet, you go through the store menu and other submenus where you exchange your currencies around at pitiful rates just to add 15 crit to your left hand weapon in 1 hero. Don't worry I guess, there's plenty of daily gifts and achievements that gift logging in rewards to help you on your way! You repeat that process until you run out of time, energy (in game energy system that is) or you pay money to make it go faster. Like, for a while now "energy" hasn't even been the most bothersome thing with these games, it's barely a problem anymore, and even that is by design. Instead of locking you out every 20 minutes and make you wait or pay, they make you do all this little stuff that can fill 12 hours of each day easily for very small incremental gains, and they just let you have it. People designing this stuff are devious assholes ;P Before I rolled my eyes when energy systems were mentioned, now I do when someone goes: "I haven't even ran out of energy yet". Geez, thanks a lot for letting me play at my own pace. So wow, much generous.

What's there to get? It's not a unique snowflake of a game. It has been made a million times before. It's more busy work than game. I'm sure some smartass is thinking: well, but Marvel Heroes is exactly the same thing! And yea, you are not wrong in some way, but the execution is completely different, and the game part comes first, and even then, yea there's shit MMO and inane currency aspects to this game too, that's besides the point of if this game is any good. For me it's not. I agree with Red, the art is cool, and the hero collectible aspect has some merit to it. That's about it.

inky

I admit that Avengers Alliance is my guilty pleasure and I enjoy it quite a bit, but even if I had a device that could run Future fight I wouldn't play it anyway cause it looks like rubbish. I really like the artstyle of it, though. Also playable Ultron, fuck yes.

It's really about the same game, except it's babbys first brawler instead of turn based battles. Well, there's a lot more currencies to get and things to level up, although I'm not sure if alt costumes are treated as their own hero in FF too, but they surely are. That always bothered me considering how long it often took to unlock some of the cheaper ones and a lot of the alt ones being the better versions. The more expenisve ones I didn't even bother to look at. For me AA was all about the off shoot characters like Fantomex, Captain Britain or Black Knight that you won't find on other games, and the PvP rewards, and that was worth alt tabbing on my work computer a few times a day.

I managed to get adamantium rank in a few seasons which was cool, but way too time consuming: I got Angel and Fantomex from those which I was very proud of. Checking back, I remember I also got Daimon and Satana from the special missions and collection stuff they had going on when they first released, but soon after that I found it impossible to keep up with the higher PvP ranks.
Here's when I got Satana:

Then the following season it was Elektra and I couldn't get that last one so I missed out:

And that's when I said FUCK THIS SHIT!

Keeping your agent up to date with equipment was more expensive than unlocking new heroes, and there were like 100 of them already. A few times I didn't even have enough coins to level them up, and that's the currency they showered you with (after you sent a portion of your roster in 24 hour -real time- long missions that disabled them from the rest of the game, or clicked through the portraits of 100 of your "friends" to pick a few off the floor like a digital beggar) Amazing connectivity and community building features btw! Beg for scraps, send scraps in return. You just have to give up access to your personal information for the privilege. That every single step of progression is tied to a currency with widely varying exchange rates and methods to acquire them is asinine. The meat of the gameplay is as unchallenging as it can get. At best it's like I said above, an unenjoyable second job, at its worst it is a step beyond crappy pay to win. That's all these games are at their core. But hey, for whoever enjoys them, more power to you.

/rant :p

inky

Most agent equipment is rubbish. I barely buy anything for my agent in MAA. :p

When I played a few years ago some of it was essential, especially for high rank PvP. In fact a lot of stuff had to be re-bought every few levels and golden weapons were not easily acquired. White suit was some premium currency as well. The scroll of angolob (which was broken and pretty much required btw*) didn't even drop from the regular game.

Maybe that's changed.

The Scroll of Angolob does indeed drop normally in the game now. And I've achieved Adamantium very often (like, every season for the past 2 years, and Vibranium in all others that I didn't place Adamantium in prior to that). They've been heavily improving PVP since it started 3 years ago. Like, a lot. I've been playing this since like August 2012.

There's very few items for the agent that I bought with gold since then. They've given away some of the uniforms during their anniversaries, too. For free. Well, you had to do some super minor task to earn it but that took like 5 minutes. They also added reforging, which allows you to bring level-based gear up to your current level for slightly cheaper than full price of the gear.

They also made gold a lot easier to acquire now. If you're at max level, you still can "level up" - when you reach a full XP bar, you go to Level 300+ and get the full energy and 1 gold for the level ups without your stats changing. You can do this forever and ever. They added daily missions that you can farm rare gear from, and also get score stars (4 of which give you 1 gold). So there's reliable sources you can get gold from.
Obviously you'll still have to invest time (and/or money), and they still have to do something about the stupid lockbox villain shit for new players, but overall I think MAA has nothing but improved.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I have. And I played Avenger's Alliance much more than that. What makes you think not? It's almost the same "game". You pick missions where you take a team and go through small corridors and you tap your way against small groups of enemies. You turn a left or right, you go through a small load, you repeat till you get to a boss that you tap or use a few abilities to kill, or switch to a different hero for some variety's sake. That takes all of 2 to 3 minutes to do it. The more friends and money you put into the game the better it goes. Occasionally you get a new low star hero out of a roster of dozens and you do it all again with that one. Between missions you get dialogue scenes that are longer than the missions themselves and they usually revolve around some ISO-8 shit, Marvel's favorite mobile gameplay element. (read currency)

Then you enter the "main game" where you see your roster, go through menus and check all the currencies you have, then go into one of many character sub menus (skills, levels, equipment, ranks, etc.) and apply one of the currencies to slightly level up one of many of those elements. Or better yet, you go through the store menu and other submenus where you exchange your currencies around at pitiful rates just to add 15 crit to your left hand weapon in 1 hero. Don't worry I guess, there's plenty of daily gifts and achievements that gift logging in rewards to help you on your way! You repeat that process until you run out of time, energy (in game energy system that is) or you pay money to make it go faster. Like, for a while now "energy" hasn't even been the most bothersome thing with these games, it's barely a problem anymore, and even that is by design. Instead of locking you out every 20 minutes and make you wait or pay, they make you do all this little stuff that can fill 12 hours of each day easily for very small incremental gains, and they just let you have it. People designing this stuff are devious assholes ;P Before I rolled my eyes when energy systems were mentioned, now I do when someone goes: "I haven't even ran out of energy yet". Geez, thanks a lot for letting me play at my own pace. So wow, much generous.

What's there to get? It's not a unique snowflake of a game. It has been made a million times before. It's more busy work than game. I'm sure some smartass is thinking: well, but Marvel Heroes is exactly the same thing! And yea, you are not wrong in some way, but the execution is completely different, and the game part comes first, and even then, yea there's shit MMO and inane currency aspects to this game too, that's besides the point of if this game is any good. For me it's not. I agree with Red, the art is cool, and the hero collectible aspect has some merit to it. That's about it.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Yup, that's about the size of it. The most devious shit about these games that I can't stand is the real-time parts, how they make you log in as often as possible. It's designed to actually make you anxious when you're away from the game. That really grinds my gears and it's why I had to step away from WoW, due to the garrisons using that exact real-time mechanic. When games start to make me feel anxious when I'm not playing them because I'm not maximizing my efficiency or whatever, I know it's time to uninstall. And this psychologically manipulative bullshit has been a staple of mobile (and f2p in general) design for years. It should actually be illegal to incentivize logging in more than once per day.

Jonathan Blow did a talk about this a few years ago that's maybe a bit long in the tooth now but it's still fascinating https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqFu5O-oPmU

Ironically in the talk he talks about skinner box design first and how it's manipulative but at least it's NOT like f2p games with "wait mechanics", which as we now know it would complete that transformation with Warlords of Draenor.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Feel like ive stepped into the wrong thread.

Most mobile games are absolute shit n soon ur fav triple a games will be too. Just look at mgs 5 using free to play Facebook style shit on motherbase.

Or assassins creed with its chests (pay to open chest )or do some stupid fluff to open.

Syndicate is getting more shit than last years ass creed.

Halo 5 has some stuff added alebit not as serious but still its there.

List goes on.

Future fight is what i should call a poor man's marvel heroes. Everything is covered around u needing to be there all time doing shit. The gains arent worth it but they wrap u into the world they are.

Marvel heroes is on a simpler scale plus for many we love leveling the heroes etc the money sink of real cash is simpler and could easily be ripped out if they could afford it as company n no one would know.

Marvel heroes doesn't need ur full attention ive barely touched it in 2 weeks 1 week i was away but this week i could have but point is i dont need. I didn't need to when i first started. What have i missed ? Yea not much unless u have the elitist hah im let ive got more commendations than you haha.

Marvel heroes doesn't need u 247 to manage ur heroes. The daily quests etc on marvel give u everything other things give u so it doesnt matter if u miss them

Rhaknar

we knew Frost was a dev on a marvel game, we just had the wrong Marvel game it seems

Anoregon

Marvel heroes is a chill low maintenance girlfriend, mobile games are insane needy chicks that freak the fuck out when you don't respond to a text within 3 minutes.

tumblr_nfw3ua9p9d1qiox8vo2_500.gif

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Marvel heroes is a chill low maintenance girlfriend, mobile games are insane needy chicks that freak the fuck out when you don't respond to a text within 3 minutes.

tumblr_nfw3ua9p9d1qiox8vo2_500.gif

At the end of the day both practices reach same ending

warriorfunnyhulkhogan.gif

Top Bottom