• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

A mobile game developer showing up all others on how to do proper animations that make characters feel good to play. A damn shame.

To be fair, Marvel Heroes has a lot more animations to do than Future Fight, so it's not really a fair comparison. A what, 4-move kit against 3 trees of various abilities? Yeah no. :p

Drayco21

Except that the film side basically got divorced from the side that still runs tv and never cared about tv to begin with.

Someone should probably tell that to the guy who wrote the SHIELD stuff in Age of Ultron, then.

And cross-media wise- the whole Agents of SHIELD team exist in the comics now, Daisy is suddenly an Inhuman and calling herself Skye because muh MCU synergy, and Stick has been retconned into looking like his Netflix show self. MCU Synergy is the name of the game at Marvel now- whether that's in the comics, or the games. You can bet pretty safely that the Inhumans are going to have an increased presence in the Marvel Heroes 2016 (and 2017 too, really), as the MCU continues to push them in both of its media formats. Black Bolt, Medusa and Kamala first, sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to Lash as a boss battle of some kind right behind them.

Except that the film side basically got divorced from the side that still runs tv and never cared about tv to begin with.

They've never outright referenced the TV shows (so far), but they've made subtle connections that only people that watch the shows will get.
Best example, one of Age of Ultron's criticisms was about how the Avengers found out about von Strucker's secret base. That is never really explained in the movie, but it is in Agents of SHIELD.

To be fair, Marvel Heroes has a lot more animations to do than Future Fight, so it's not really a fair comparison. A what, 4-move kit against 3 trees of various abilities? Yeah no. :p

I can only buy this reasoning up to a certain point. A lot of it comes down to direction for how the attacks should look. It's more about having good ideas than being super fancy. Some of the animations in MH look like a college freshman's first project, like Kitty's starting basic punch animation loop for example. Or look at how lifeless War Machine looks in the animation for his chainsaw basic. Why isn't he putting any force behind those swings? Why do most melee attacks in the game not have a trail effect added to them for some extra visual flair, or have the character reel back/lean in (in an exaggerated fashion for effect)? Outside of maybe an attack here or there, no melee character has felt as strong as Lash looks like in that gif.

Lash coming to Marvel
Future Fight

ybN4xFU.gif
WTF? I played that game for a while and none of the characters had animations that flashy.

EDIT: Watched videos of other characters. I guess I just played some really lame heroes.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Oh for fuck sake guys not the future fight disscussion again.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Best example, one of Age of Ultron's criticisms was about how the Avengers found out about von Strucker's secret base. That is never really explained in the movie, but it is in Agents of SHIELD.

I'm calling bullshit on this. Who was out there going "you know I liked Age of Ultron, but it REALLY bothered me how they didn't start off with some exposition about how they found Strucker's base." There's lots to criticize about AoU that isn't banal plot details.

The movies do their damnedest to avoid having anything to do with the show it seems. From the outside looking in it looks like the show writers at some point get the script for the films and just have to work around it, which always makes the show seem really desperate in its attempts to be Relevant to what's going on in the movies. Just think about that ridiculous Secret SHIELD business. You expect me to believe there was ANOTHER SHIELD after Winter Soldier that neither Fury nor anyone else knew about? And it wasn't referenced ever? bitch please. No one on the film side gives a fuck about what Agents of Shield does, and rightly so, because that show is awful.

Now Daredevil, that's a good-ass show. You know why? Because they don't desperately try to SYNERGIZE at every turn. They reference the Avengers like, once, off-handedly, and focused instead on making a good show with a good story, not story that has as many hooks in the movies as possible so people will watch to get "the full picture" which is nonsense anyway because of that one-sided relationship.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ryolnir stuff

Hey all, happy Monday. (Not the band.)

Wanted to give an update on this week and the rest of the year in general!

Blade

Blade had a good weekend of testing and feedback and we have lots to address today. There are some small changes that'll go to Test Center later today that were done over the weekend. Thanks again for all the feedback!

Danger Room

Danger Room's had a lot of great feedback and we're working on some pretty big changes. The difficulty is pretty far off where it should be and we're working on that, and this weekend had more bug reports to work through. This is mid-November at the earliest due to bugs and some upcoming changes that will need testing. We're dedicated to making Danger Room awesome and we know the delay will help us achieve that.

Defense Changes

This is still underway. We're shooting for mid-November, but it's a big task that'll need a solid amount of testing from you guys as well as QA. I'd like to ship this separately from Danger Room, as they may muddy the waters of each others' testing. We're very happy with how it's shaping out though, and it's allowing us to make some nice changes to systems that have been needed for a while.

Halloween Event

The Halloween Event is returning this week, along with the spoopy Avengers Tower decorations and a brand new Halloween costume and Team-Up that'll be in the store (Frankencastle). Frankencastle was actually finished last year, but we chose Brood Wolverine over him, so he gets his time to shine this year.

Deadpool 52

I've answered it a few times, but a nice central post is needed. Deadpool's 52 is currently scheduled to go live in December with Marvel Heroes 2016. It's very important to us to get him done by the release of MH2016 as he's the last review, but if players at that point feel he needs more work, he'll hang out on TC for a bit longer. As to why he's been delayed- he has a lot of new animations and powers, and we felt that getting the Defense Review done sooner rather than later was very important.

Upcoming Heroes

Magik is up next after Blade. Iron Fist is after her, with Black Cat on the thread between December and January.

Upcoming Team-Up Heroes

Agent Venom is the next Team-Up Hero to be released. He is planned to ship sometime in December.

Marvel Heroes 2016

Planned to ship in December. Just reiterating.

Costume Sale for Halloween?

Yes. <3

So, yet another confirmation that the first hero poll was a farce as Magik was already pretty far along in development.

Iron Fist just maybe making it by the end of the year, rejoicing all around.

inky

So, yet another confirmation that the first hero poll was a farce as Magik was already pretty far along in development.

Iron Fist just maybe making it by the end of the year, rejoicing all around.

We knew that since the last poll, i.e. Blade vs Rogue vs Mr F vs War Machine.

They gave no fucks about the result and released them in the order they always intended to release them.

Dec

They had to have a paper design for every hero on the poll. Magik has been designed since the poll even began, as had every other choice.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
They had to have a paper design for every hero on the poll. Magik has been designed since the poll even began, as had every other choice.

Yup this is why that poll took so long to appear. Marvel demanded from gaz paper an basic designs of each hero in poll. Doomsaw saud this on 3 different occasions

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't appreciate everyone ignoring my mini-rant about how mediocre Agents of Shield is. I'll just assume everyone agrees.

I won't argue with you because your opinion is so set in stone and fixated on hating the show that it doesn't even matter if I agree or disagree with it. :p

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't hate the show but this is the internet so I'm not surprised anything more nuanced than hate or love doesn't register

Doctor Who and SHIELD are the only two shows I follow. Shield has been good to great for a while now and tonight's episode is being hyped by a lot of reviewers. I also liked flash but got tired of the cw-ness. I wish I cared about super girl at all.

SHIELD is okay. It's gotten better with each season (though I think S2 was overhyped, especially on GAF). S3 has been pretty good so far though.

There are way better shows on TV though. The Good Wife is still my #1 show airing right now. Nothing beats its pacing, twists, and character development.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Oh it's very real. The effects and make up work on that show has been.... something. Dethlok lol

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah the show is bad because of a dumb character that was literally in 2 episodes

Drayco21

Yeah the show is bad because of a dumb character that was literally in 2 episodes

No, but the part where every other character on the show is awful does. I still can't believe how badly they fucked up Kraken. And Blizzard. And Deathlok. And Graviton. And how boring all of the Inhumans ended up last season.

Anoregon

That's what you get for reading comics. I don't even know who Kraken is/was on the show.

Drayco21

You're not wrong there. I'd be a lot happier about superhero stuff if I didn't care about the comics.

Secret Warriors was a great book, and had a really cool twist using Kraken that would have been really cool to see play out. Instead, he kind of doesn't do anything for half a season, and then is dropped entirely.

Indignate

I liked the second half of the first season, but not enough to go back to it especially when I heard that Ward was still a major part of the show.

As much as you all are shitting all over SHIELD. At least it's not Heroes Reborn. That show is even WORSE than the original right now, lol.

I liked the second half of the first season, but not enough to go back to it especially when I heard that Ward was still a major part of the show.
<3 Easily the worst part of S3 for me.

Anoregon

Ward is kind of a shame, because they did a great job actually making him a worthwhile character at the end of S1 and into S2, but it quickly got to the point where they pretty clearly just don't know what to do with him.

Dec

There's a live stream for Blade in an hour. Should show off all his powers.

He is really shaping up. These are the things that wont be implemented during the livestream and will be improved when he comes out.

Animation Times - We're in process of a full pass on more animation times and cancel windows to see where we can shave off times without sacrificing artistic quality.

Glaives - We're removing the cooldowns from the Glaive powers entirely. As DoT applicators, they will be used in layer rotations just fine without cooldowns, and this allows them to be used in harmony in any number of builds. Additionally, since there was so much positive feedback regarding wanting to use the glaives, we're adding a special mechanic to the In Control specialiation that removes the bleed effect from the Glaive powers, allowing them to be used without stacking Thirst.

Bloodlust - We are considering the suggestions regarding changing Bloodlust's negative aspects from health loss to a self-vulnerability, making him take more damage from incoming attacks rather than always taking damage. For this build, we've drastically reduced the health loss percentages, and would like your feedback as to how they feel before we make such a change.

Spirit - We're aware he's a bit of a spirit hog still in today's build and will be analyzing costs & mechanics, though itemization should always be necessary to some degree.

I really hope they don't go through with that Bloodlust change though...

squadr0n

X-23 Wolverine looks sick, is her costume available yet? Also any word on when Archangel will be available. I already have Angel, but they were also going to release Archangel separately.

I really hope they don't go through with that Bloodlust change though...

Why not? It's extra incentive to not get hit, and doesn't become a nuisance during downtime when there are no enemies around.

X-23 Wolverine looks sick, is her costume available yet? Also any word on when Archangel will be available. I already have Angel, but they were also going to release Archangel separately.

X-23 Wolvy costume is out already, and Archangel probably won't be out for another couple months (January at the earliest).

Dec

Why not? It's extra incentive to not get hit, and doesn't become a nuisance during downtime when there are no enemies around.

I don't think it's a nuisance when enemies aren't around, I think it's good thematic gameplay. He isn't fighting, he has no need of his rabid bloodlust so he takes the serum to equalize.

1 glaive bleed gets you to like 2 ticks from Bloodlust. You can extremely easily become bloodlusted when you want to in no time at all.

From 0 bloodlust > Glaive > like 85% of the way to bloodlust > Glaive again at any time during the Glaive bleed to reapply and go into bloodlust, if you don't need bloodlust keep Seruming. If a boss is coming up you can leave bloodlust at 85% and be Bloodlusted within 1 second as required.

The mistake people are making about the mechanic is assuming that it was ever designed for you to have it on all the time. The change proposed changes the design to that; never turn it off. It is player feedback changing the base vision of the mechanic because they don't realize how it was envisioned to work. I think that's why they didn't just change it and are making sure it is what people want. Unfortunately people will double down and force the change through, like a trashing of an interesting mechanic similar to Thor's rework.

I don't think it's a nuisance when enemies aren't around, I think it's good thematic gameplay. He isn't fighting, he has no need of his rabid bloodlust so he takes the serum to equalize.

1 glaive bleed gets you to like 2 ticks from Bloodlust. You can extremely easily become bloodlusted when you want to in no time at all.

From 0 bloodlust > Glaive > like 85% of the way to bloodlust > Glaive again at any time during the Glaive bleed to reapply and go into bloodlust, if you don't need bloodlust keep Seruming. If a boss is coming up you can leave bloodlust at 85% and be Bloodlusted within 1 second as required.

The mistake people are making about the mechanic is assuming that it was ever designed for you to have it on all the time. The change proposed changes the design to that; never turn it off. It is player feedback changing the base vision of the mechanic because they don't realize how it was envisioned to work. I think that's why they didn't just change it and are making sure it is what people want. Unfortunately people will double down and force the change through, like a trashing of an interesting mechanic similar to Thor's rework.

I think the generation rate is fine, like you're saying. I'm talking about health loss vs. self-vulnerability when it's up.

Dec

I think the generation rate is fine, like you're saying. I'm talking about health loss vs. self-vulnerability when it's up.

I think if it was just self-vulnerability you would have it activated at times that don't make sense, or modes that don't have much incoming damage. It would become about turning it off in the rare times when you need to rather than turning it on only when you want to hunker down and blow somebody up.

It just makes much more sense to lose health constantly and want to turn it off when you don't need it and I think it's a much cooler mechanic.

I think if it was just self-vulnerability you would have it activated at times that don't make sense, or modes that don't have much incoming damage. It would becoming about turning it off in the rare times when you need to rather than turning it only when you want to hunker down and blow somebody up.

It just makes much more sense to lose health constantly and want to turn it off when you don't need it and I think it's a much cooler mechanic.

I can dig that play style too. My only reservation about that though is that you wouldn't (need to) use it too often, just against the stronger enemies.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but when I tried it I was seeing different environments within the same simulation.

You use one chip and it's one tileset, so they did bamboo forest map a couple times in a row. I think the actual layout was different but it was the same tileset.

Maybe I just hate it because most tilesets in the game are incredibly generic and could've come from like, the Unity asset store. And I've already spent hundreds of hours looking at them. They're just so dull and devoid of personality.

Looks like they're changing Thirst completely for now.

Thirst will increase over time (regardless of bleeds, by default) so it is more of a natural timer. When Thirst is at Maximum, Blade will still lose health, but won't gain any offensive stats. Being starved is not healthy or desirable. However, when The Serum is activated, Blade will re-gain his vampiric super strength and speed, gaining something very similar to the current buff effects of Bloodlust for a duration. The overall gameplay won't be changing much, but the specializations may be altered further to shift the Thirst mechanics more. Serum will be more potent as an activation, and Bloodlust will be more of an indication on when you should be using the Serum.

Dec

I mean... that seems fine but the character itself isn't very unique. The thirst mechanic was the thing that set him apart from the rest of the cast. From the new description it just seems to be make sure to use Serum when you can and he'll play like a normal hero.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. I mean, what they're doing makes sense thematically, but what it'll boil down to is making his health another spirit pool. Using Serum is going to become like using Overload on Iron Man, just with a short term buff attached to it.

Indignate

You use one chip and it's one tileset, so they did bamboo forest map a couple times in a row. I think the actual layout was different but it was the same tileset.

Maybe I just hate it because most tilesets in the game are incredibly generic and could've come from like, the Unity asset store. And I've already spent hundreds of hours looking at them. They're just so dull and devoid of personality.

Again, I recall seeing a different tileset within one chip.

Maybe it changed? Maybe it was bug (one of those bugs that should probably be a thing)?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

In TC, part of the Halloween event should be on. In addition to Pumpkin and Candy credit items dropping, Jack O' Lantern powerup buffs are dropping, but they're a little different this time!

They'll drop much more frequently, but they won't tell you to defeat a boss. Instead, once you collect a stack of 5, you'll get a Halloween loot explosion that will pop off your avatar.
These powerups can drop anywhere, so you can play however and wherever you like!

could be better or worse

Top Bottom