• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

I honestly think I'll stick to the class red/purple costume. The Marvel NOW! ones are too edgy for me. :p

The Magneto NOW! series has been such a great book though. Mags is just super badass all over the place, so I've been lapping it up.

Also like the idea of my Magneto being different to the one I'll face in the Terminals and Midtown haha..

The Magneto NOW! series has been such a great book though. Mags is just super badass all over the place, so I've been lapping it up.

Also like the idea of my Magneto being different to the one I'll face in the Terminals and Midtown haha..

Well if the forum icons are anything to go by, white Mags is gonna be the default, and classic is gonna be the alt at release.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well if the forum icons are anything to go by, white Mags is gonna be the default, and classic is gonna be the alt at release.

forum icons? the presale pack confirmed white was the default

forum icons? the presale pack confirmed white was the default

I didn't look at what the presale pack said cause I own the Advance Pack. :p
And yeah, his character subforum icon on the official forums. It's got white Magneto on there, which means it'd be his default (since that only features default alts).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't look at what the presale pack said cause I own the Advance Pack. :p
And yeah, his character subforum icon on the official forums. It's got white Magneto on there, which means it'd be his default (since that only features default alts).

I know what forum icons are, I meant that we dont need forum icon speculation anymore when the presale confirmed it. Which you didnt know

I know what forum icons are, I meant that we dont need forum icon speculation anymore when the presale confirmed it. Which you didnt know

Well there's no speculation if, so far out of what, 40 people the default costume was the one being used for the sub forum icons. :p

Lord Phol

The face on Savage Land Rogue is creepy as hell D:. The green could also be toned downed/darkened a bit IMO, other than that it's looking pretty awesome.

Also Black Magneto = Best Magneto.

Earth X Thor in-game:

rE6t769.png

And Savage Land Rogue (still a decent amount of skin on display):

R0DSZLz.png

NPAYRnD.png

Bonus:

7jpAhjZ.png

Both look pretty solid.
Giving Rogue those abs was a bad decision though. It detracts from her femininity. I want to see how she moves in game before commenting on her face, ass and hair.
Earth X Thor looks really nice in that pic. I saw someone on the official forums said she had a bit of the "crazy eyes" problem that the earlier Emma costumes have. I hope thats not the case.
The detail in both costumes is great.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Giving Rogue those abs was a bad decision though. It detracts from her femininity. I want to see how she moves in game before commenting on her face, ass and hair.

That is some hot bullshit. I'm sorry but I just can't not. There isn't one type of woman that's "most feminine". That is a fucked up way to look at it.

Moondrop

Banned
Phoenix is canon.
Marvel Girl is more canon.

That is some hot bullshit. I'm sorry but I just can't not. There isn't one type of woman that's "most feminine". That is a fucked up way to look at it.
Lemme jump in and try and defuse this BS before it derails the thread: women can of course be feminine and have large muscles, but large muscles are associated with masculinity for physiological reasons. This isn't a social construct; ignoring superhuman physiology, a woman would have to work out/diet much harder than a man to achieve abs like that.

Sblargh

Banned
Marvel Girl is more canon.

Lemme jump in and try and defuse this BS before it derails the thread: women can of course be feminine and have large muscles, but large muscles are associated with masculinity for physiological reasons. This isn't a social construct; ignoring superhuman physiology, a woman would have to work out/diet much harder than a man to achieve abs like that.

Your attempt to avoid a derail is to firmly position yourself in one side of a debate where there is no consensus at all?

"Let me defuse this healthcare debate; there should be no state-sponsored hospitals because the free market can take care of all. I'm sure we can all agree with that"

I really should have said "it detracts from her femininity, IMO".
This is a subjective thing and I appreciate everyone will have their own opinions on what makes someone more or less feminine and/or masculine.
I see muscles as a more masculine trait and I dont think thats an unreasonable, or uncommon opinion to hold.
Anyway, back to leveling Deadpool...

Moondrop

Banned
Your attempt to avoid a derail is to firmly position yourself in one side of a debate where there is no consensus at all?

"Let me defuse this healthcare debate; there should be no state-sponsored hospitals because the free market can take care of all. I'm sure we can all agree with that"
Ok, done with this thread for a while until it's not GAF Off-Topic any more.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

^^

This notion that *I* am the one being political here because I'm calling out statements like "women with muscle tone are less feminine" is so ridiculous I can't even. Just because your view is closer to the status quo that the media pushes on people doesn't make it less political than mine. If you don't want to have that kind of discussion, maybe don't weigh in on it, especially if you present your opinion as the final, objective word, when it isn't.

KePoW

Banned
I really should have said "it detracts from her femininity, IMO".
This is a subjective thing and I appreciate everyone will have their own opinions on what makes someone more or less feminine and/or masculine.
I see muscles as a more masculine trait and I dont think thats an unreasonable, or uncommon opinion to hold.

lol your opinion is not strange whatsoever, don't let noray convince you otherwise

Just because your view is closer to the status quo that the media pushes on people

HAHA jeez... I wasn't going to bother commenting on the muscle tone issue, cause that's personal. But people who say this are silly. I had a feeling you might be part of this group based on the previous discussion in this thread.

So let me guess -- You're one of those who think females only dress in revealing clothing because they're subconsciously forced to by the media... not because some females truly just feel like doing it themselves. Right??

Definitely correct me if I'm wrong, since this is an assumption based on the tone of your previous posts. I'd love to be mistaken, because otherwise I'm just gonna ignore your opinions on females & sexuality in the future lol

Sblargh

Banned
The debate in this thread.

Hoya: A!
Noray: I disagree, I think it's B!
Moondrop: Ok ok, guys, chill out, let me solve this. A is right. Woof. There. Glad y'all got the truth here.
Sblargh: lol @ Moondrop
Noray: ^^ B!
Kepow: Oh, so you're one of *those* people who belive in "writes fanfic about Noray"

If you are playing Marvel Heroes that zoomed in to noticed those details enough to be bothered by them, you are probably playing the game wrong.

Not during play; but it's a nice habit to zoom in totally when you're just standing still doing nothing in particular.

Vecks

If you are playing Marvel Heroes that zoomed in to noticed those details enough to be bothered by them, you are probably playing the game wrong.

I always zoom in for a few seconds before and after I enter a new location. Or when I'm stuck in a channeling move, like Scarlet Witch's spin.

KePoW

Banned

I don't have it zoomed in to literally the closest view. But I normally have it around halfway

(Halfway on the zoom scale *before* they added the new camera option to pull it way back. I don't use that option because what's the point of not being able to see your characters/costumes. I don't power-game anyway so I don't care about having a wider field of view.)

For the female characters that I really like, Ms Marvel for example, I zoom in even a little closer than halfway to play. I love her costumes

KePoW

Banned
Kepow: Oh, so you're one of *those* people who belive in "writes fanfic about Noray"

heh hee hue well I did tell him to definitely correct me if my assumption is wrong =P

(I genuinely hope I'm wrong in this case, because I'd love to talk about sexy females with people!)

Xevren

heh hee hue well I did tell him to definitely correct me if my assumption is wrong =P

(I genuinely hope I'm wrong in this case, because I'd love to talk about sexy females with people!)

Coming in here and seeing that last line....alllllll right then.

KePoW

Banned
Coming in here and seeing that last line....alllllll right then.

well u know what i mean... like for example comix fans or comix forums, they talk about costumes/fashion of female characters all the time

and comix fans are just normal people, probably even more normal than hardcore video-game people like all of us on GAF forumz

Hereafter

For the female characters that I really like, Ms Marvel for example, I zoom in even a little closer than halfway to play. I love her costumes

So does that mean when I play Psylocke you zoom in on me?

Also, I know why you die to charges so many times now...

ITT: People who don't realize the 19th Amendment passed in 1920.

Women come in all shapes and sizes. Your personal predilection doesn't define what constitutes femininity versus masculinity. Are slimmer men less masculine than muscle heads? Are muscular girls less feminine than skinny/chubby ones?

No.

I think that costume sucks for a million different reasons (starting with the fact that it's on Rogue, who is the worst!), but none of them involve her abs.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
So let me guess -- You're one of those who think females only dress in revealing clothing because they're subconsciously forced to by the media... not because some females truly just feel like doing it themselves. Right??l

I've said this before, but there's a Grand Canyon-sized difference between a woman choosing to wear whatever she damn well pleases, and pandering outfits designed for female characters by men. I even linked the damn Hawkeye Initiative before, which is a pretty good illustration of that. That's all I meant by my earlier comment about representation in media - it's just super one-sided. I like looking at pin-ups too, but I also like a bit of diversity and it gets my goat a bit when someone's like "this doesn't look like 100% my ideal version of a woman 2/10 would not bang, sharp elbows".

To be extra super duper clear, like what you like, idgaf, but letting your opinion of comics book women shape your ideas about real women in any way, shape or form is messed up, because it's 100% removed from reality. All I'm asking for is a little bit o' honesty and self-awareness - you like looking at hyper-sexualized women who exist to serve your tastes. That's comics, and that's fine, no one's taking your toys away. Just don't act like the sky is falling when someone dares to say "hey maybe this is a little sexist idk". It's not a personal attack, at all.

Lord Phol

ITT: People who don't realize the 19th Amendment passed in 1920.

Women come in all shapes and sizes. Your personal predilection doesn't define what constitutes femininity versus masculinity. Are slimmer men less masculine than muscle heads? Are muscular girls less feminine than skinny/chubby ones?

No.

I think that costume sucks for a million different reasons (starting with the fact that it's on Rogue, who is the worst!), but none of them involve her abs.

Yes? Just like having a penis makes you more masculine or a beard. It has nothing to do with opinions or media or whatver but with actual physiology. Some people just can't accept that men and women in general are different. I've always been slim and got not problems with not being "masculine". I think people these days are a bit too oversensitive, everyone is a minority and everyone feels targeted and discriminated by random products/comments/commercials/statements/words etc. It's ridicoulous. If people could just turn the other cheek and not care so much about every little thing I think the world would be alot better for it.

LuuKyK

Jesus, whats even going on in here? Thought I'd clicked in the wrong thread for a moment.

So weird seeing KePoW using such a serious tone in his posts. Never imagined this day would exist.

KePoW

Banned
Yes? I've always been slim and got not problems with not being "masculine",. I think people in general these days are just oversensitive, everyone is a minority and everyone feels targeted and discriminated by random products/comments/commercials/statements/words etc. It's ridicoulous. If people could just turn the other cheek and not care so much about every little thing I think the world would be alot better for it.

actually I totally agree with you Phol, with the same example

I'm 6'1" but 155 pounds. My brother is 6'3" but 215 pounds and goes to the gym 5-days a week religiously.

There is absolutely NO DOUBT he looks much more masculine/ripped than me, that's what any normal person can see.

I'm the type of person who has no problem with generalizations, I think they're perfectly valid in a case like this. But obviously there are other people out there who hate to make generalizations and are very sensitive about doing so. I just can't relate to those people, I love to generalize

KePoW

Banned
I've said this before, but there's a Grand Canyon-sized difference between a woman choosing to wear whatever she damn well pleases, and pandering outfits designed for female characters by men. I even linked the damn Hawkeye Initiative before, which is a pretty good illustration of that. That's all I meant by my earlier comment about representation in media - it's just super one-sided. I like looking at pin-ups too, but I also like a bit of diversity and it gets my goat a bit when someone's like "this doesn't look like 100% my ideal version of a woman 2/10 would not bang, sharp elbows".

To be extra super duper clear, like what you like, idgaf, but letting your opinion of comics book women shape your ideas about real women in any way, shape or form is messed up, because it's 100% removed from reality. All I'm asking for is a little bit o' honesty and self-awareness - you like looking at hyper-sexualized women who exist to serve your tastes. That's comics, and that's fine, no one's taking your toys away. Just don't act like the sky is falling when someone dares to say "hey maybe this is a little sexist idk". It's not a personal attack, at all.

Ok, no problem then. I certainly don't want to force all guys to like females in thongs and string bikinis, even though that's what I prefer.

I just have a problem with those people who want to completely eliminate all females from wearing things like that. (whether in real life or fantasy-media)

Yes? Just like having a penis makes you more masculine or a beard. It has nothing to do with opinions or media or whatver but with actual physiology. Some people just can't accept that men and women in general are different. I've always been slim and got not problems with not being "masculine". I think people in general these days are just oversensitive, everyone is a minority and everyone feels targeted and discriminated by random products/comments/commercials/statements/words etc. It's ridicoulous. If people could just turn the other cheek and not care so much about every little thing I think the world would be alot better for it.

This post is so full of strawmen it's like you're writing the script to a Wizard of Oz sequel.

Genitalia ≠ muscular body composition. Nobody is debating the genital differences between men and women.

Facial hair ≠ muscular body composition. There may be some tangential links between testosterone levels and increases in facial hair + ease of growing muscle mass, but they aren't what is being discussed here.

Nobody is debating that men and women aren't fundamentally different. I think anyone with a middle school education understands that. Nobody is arguing otherwise, but it sure is easy to win an argument against a made up opponent.

Nobody is being overly sensitive about anything here, nor are they acting like a targeted minority. That was brought up by exactly zero people in this thread. Strawman.

The only thing ridiculous here is the belief/opinion that a woman with visible ab muscles is somehow less feminine than one without. It has zero to do with physiological differences, the ease of growing muscles in men versus women, or anything. It's merely a poorly formed opinion that you are confusing with fact.

Is it harder for women to gain muscle than men? Sure. Natural testosterone levels dictate that. But you are acting like it's difficult for women to have a visible six-pack. It isn't appreciatively more difficult than it is for a guy. A six-pack is 95% being skinny from diet, and 5% working out your abs. I should know, I've had one off and on my entire life. I've worked with women with visible abs, and it all comes down to having a very low bodyfat level.

Here is the latest Crossfit women's champion. She has a six pack and is every bit as muscular as Rogue is in that costume. She is no more or less feminine than any other woman. Don't confuse your taste with facts.

wats da 19th amendment? i have no idea which one that is lol

I only know the 1st amendment, which means i can say wat i want!

You can definitely say whatever you want, bro. You're always free to be wrong. :)

Lord Phol

This post is so full of strawmen it's like you're writing the script to a Wizard of Oz sequel.

Genitalia ≠ muscular body composition. Nobody is debating the genital differences between men and women.

Facial hair ≠ muscular body composition. There may be some tangential links between testosterone levels and increases in facial hair + ease of growing muscle mass, but they aren't what is being discussed here.

Nobody is debating that men and women aren't fundamentally different. I think anyone with a middle school education understands that. Nobody is arguing otherwise, but it sure is easy to win an argument against a made up opponent.

Nobody is being overly sensitive about anything here, nor are they acting like a targeted minority. That was brought up by exactly zero people in this thread. Strawman.

The only thing ridiculous here is the belief/opinion that a woman with visible ab muscles is somehow less feminine than one without. It has zero to do with physiological differences, the ease of growing muscles in men versus women, or anything. It's merely a poorly formed opinion that you are confusing with fact.

Is it harder for women to gain muscle than men? Sure. Natural testosterone levels dictate that. But you are acting like it's difficult for women to have a visible six-pack. It isn't appreciatively more difficult than it is for a guy. A six-pack is 95% being skinny from diet, and 5% working out your abs. I should know, I've had one off and on my entire life. I've worked with women with visible abs, and it all comes down to having a very low bodyfat level.

Here is the latest Crossfit women's champion. She has a six pack and is every bit as muscular as Rogue is in that costume. She is no more or less feminine than any other woman. Don't confuse your taste with facts.

You can definitely say whatever you want, bro. You're always free to be wrong. :)

I still don't see how having mucles doesn't make you more masculine. Just like you said it's a scientifc fact that men in general have an easier time growing muscles. Men in general are stronger and bigger. Sure there are strong and masculine women as well but it's not as common because they aren't born with those traits.

If it's not defined by physiology then what exactly defines masculinity and feminity? I'm curious, what in your eyes makes someone feminime or masculine? You say I'm confusing taste with facts (never did I mention my preference either), so what are the facts?

And before anyone else starts puttings words into my mouth I absolutely think girls with abs can be attractive/sexy but I would still consider them more masculine than girls without them (just like I consider myself that way).

I can yell "FIRE" in a theater if I want! I know everyone always brings up that example when talking about 1st amendment, but I can do it. I say wat i want

According to Schenck v. United States and Brandenburg v. Ohio, that isn't exactly true. Read up on the imminent lawless action clause. If the state is able to prove that you intend to incite a violation of the law, you will certainly be held legally accountable for your "free speech."

TL;DR - Don't yell "FIRE!" in a theater. Seventy-three men, women, and children died in Michigan in 1913 when someone did exactly that.

If it's not defined by physiology then what exactly defines masculinity and feminity? I'm curious, what in your eyes makes someone feminime or masculine? You say I'm confusing taste with facts (never did I mention my preference either), so what are the facts.

The very definition of what we consider masculinity and femininity are social constructs. There are biologically-driven factors, but the concepts are 100% socially-defined. What constitutes masculinity in 2014 America differs from what constitutes masculinity in 2014 Japan, or 18th century Europe, or early dynastic period Egypt. Research back through the ages and you'll see how malleable the terms really are. Someone choosing to promote a westernized stereotypical view of a muscled warrior male and a delicate tender female is their prerogative.

The top listed definition of the word "feminine" when used as an adjective is: "pertaining to a woman or girl." Source: Dictionary.com
The top listed definition of the word "feminine" when used as a noun is: "the feminine gender." Source: Dictionary.com

I see nothing in there about muscle mass, body types, or anything else we're discussing here.

KePoW

Banned
According to Schenck v. United States and Brandenburg v. Ohio, that isn't exactly true. Read up on the imminent lawless action clause. If the state is able to prove that you intend to incite a violation of the law, you will certainly be held legally accountable for your "free speech."

well i dunno about lawz and stuff, but I just meant i do wat i want

well i dunno about lawz and stuff, but I just meant i do wat i want

Imminent lawless action is almost never tested in court because people don't yell "Fire!" in crowded theaters. So our society needs people like you to help us determine boundaries on what constitutes free speech.

You are not the hero America deserves, but the one we need right now. So we'll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you're not our hero. You're a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Fixed that for you.

I didn't realize that I stepped into a men's rights movement convention instead of the Marvel Heroes thread. Carry on with the stereotypes and objectifications, good sirs!

I believe Adawg was poking fun at KePow's documented history of racial preference on this thread, not at the prior argument re: gender stereotypes.

Lord Phol

The very definition of what we consider masculinity and femininity are social constructs. There are biologically-driven factors, but the concepts are 100% socially-defined. What constitutes masculinity in 2014 America differs from what constitutes masculinity in 2014 Japan, or 18th century Europe, or early dynastic period Egypt. Research back through the ages and you'll see how malleable the terms really are. Someone choosing to promote a westernized stereotypical view of a muscled warrior male and a delicate tender female is their prerogative.

The top listed definition of the word "feminine" when used as an adjective is: "pertaining to a woman or girl." Source: Dictionary.com
The top listed definition of the word "feminine" when used as a noun is: "the feminine gender." Source: Dictionary.com

I see nothing in there about muscle mass, body types, or anything else we're discussing here.

Fair enough, but if it's just subjective (like most things man-made) then would it be okey for me to personally think something or someone is more or less feminime/masculine according to my views on gender and looks? It feels like there's a big negative stigma surrounding all this in todays society, whenever someones enjoys a pair of boobs or a half-naked woman you are considered sexist and should be treated like crap even if you yourself never meant it in a harmful manner at all but quite the opposite. Personally I love all the things that I consider feminime and there are women in this world I would rank even more beautiful than a perfect sunset or the stars themselves.

I might be overgeneralizing but I sometimes feel like the whole world just want to erase genders so we can evolve into something like the borgs or neutral gendered balls of energy linked together like a hive mind or something. That just doesn't sit right with me, the world would loose so much beauty (no to mention the sex would be really boring).

Whenever I use the word feminime or masculine to describe someone or something most people understand exactly what I mean, what's the harm in that?

Fixed that for you.

I didn't realize that I stepped into a men's rights movement convention instead of the Marvel Heroes thread. Carry on with the stereotypes and objectifications, good sirs!

Men's right movement? Now who's the one generalizing, you dissapoint me.

Indignate

I don't even use the words feminine and masculine when describing people so that's about where I fall off in all this.

X-23 though, am I right?

So soon.

X-23 though, am I right?

So soon.

When is she due? I am getting close to 400 splinters again, and I'm thinking about saving them for Magneto or for Iceman or Blade. Those are basically the next three heroes I would really like to grab, and now that my time with this game is falling off, I feel like each splinter is even more precious.

X-23 might throw a wrinkle in the plan.

Top Bottom