• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

I think they have an equal chance around the board; meaning heroes like Iron Man get tons of costume and Psylocke not so much.

I want to think that but once I got on the high end of owning all the heroes, the RND God seems to be pushing me towards heroes I don't own. Maybe with a few heroes, its equally tilted to giving you something you do own? I don't know how it works. Just been my weird experience.

inky

I want to think that but once I got on the high end of owning all the heroes, the RND God seems to be pushing me towards heroes I don't own. Maybe with a few heroes, its equally tilted to giving you something you do own? I don't know how it works. Just been my weird experience.

I just think you remember those instances more, although at some point I did get: 1 for Black Panther, 2 for Emma and 1 for Luke when they were the very last heroes I didn't own.

I posted this on the official formers but maybe I might get a better response there:

Why is playing a pre-level 60 character more fun than playing a level 60 character in new areas? With new areas I'm referring to Vibranium Mines one shot and newer.

This is something I've only noticed last week or so but I think its been in my subconscious for a bit longer. In the old areas, Midtown, terminals, story, level 60 just rules. In the new areas, something is odd. I had assume that the areas were designed to be more challenging for long time players. I've been here since the beta but I'm not an elite player. Just don't have mad skillz at 45 years of age. So I was taking my time, maxing out my Dr. Strange items. Taking them to level 66 and so on but the new areas are such a pain.

Over the last week, I've started leveling up my under played characters. Taking experience potions and hitting LQs as soon as they are available. When the daily quest came up for Man-ape, I would normally switch over to Dr Strange to do Vibranium Mines then on a lark, I didn't and it was a cake walk. Then I started investigating.

Vibranium Mines: Dr Strange- level 60 with proper gear: have to go slow and pick my battles. When I have to defend the vibranium, I am unable to protect the Dora. They group up into one spot and let the Slayer Spiders kill them. I have to get lucky and lure one or more Dora girls away from the zone or the mission fails. Then when I get to Man-Ape, it takes several minutes, some times over 10, to kill him. Multiple deaths. My other level 60 heros aren't able to make it to Man Ape. most get killed by the tribesmen.

Captain America, Dare Devil, Deadpool - Levels 30-50 with sloppily picked epic gear: Easily defend the Dora on all three vibranium events. Dora never group up in one spot. Take on Man Ape, kill in seconds.

Bronx Zoo: Dr Strange- level 60 with proper gear: Animals in small groups can easily take out the Dr. Especially the cobra giraffes. Virtually every boss takes several minutes to kill.

Captain America, Dare Devil, Deadpool - Levels 30-50 with sloppily picked epic gear: They are death. Nothing threatens them. Bosses are all down in seconds.

Inner City Patrol: Dr Strange- level 60 with proper gear: Risks death from mobs, boss events, while not lethal, tend to be long drawn out battles as the bosses are damage sponges. Even ultimates seem useless on them compared to just holding down the attack button with finger on the medkit button.

Captain America, Dare Devil - Levels 30-50 with sloppily picked epic gear: Once again, they are death. Nothing threatens them. Bosses are all down in seconds.

Now I got Captain America to level 60. I go back to Vibranium Mines, Bronx Zoo, and Inner City Patrol. I am now unable to make much progress in these areas. Inner City Patrol went from easy to drawn out slug feast by just going from level 59 to level 60.

That said, all the other older areas (not counting raid, never done them): Dr Strange- level 60 with proper gear: Nothing is a threat, kills everything.

Levels 30-50 characters with sloppily picked epic gear: challenging to an unfun struggle depending on the character. Bosses, especially Dr Doom are very difficult.

Ok, so what is going on here? Am I the only one noticing this? If not, how do you deal with it?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
If yr level 60 heroes can't make it to ManApe, I have no words. I can only suggest that maybe you are very bad at the game? I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think I've ever died on my way to Manape (though I've died to his abilities plenty, yes).

Sblargh

Banned
When you get to 60, gear matters more. I think they said the difficulty of one shots is aimed at being harder than red terms, but easier than cosmic terms.

You do need good gear to clear cosmics with comfort; so I guess you also can't just take a new lvl 60 with bad gear to one-shots and expect it to be easy.

That said, I don't think Vibranium Mines are hard at all; if Dr. Strange is your geared character and you're having that much trouble, maybe you gotta think of a new build or something.

I posted this on the official formers but maybe I might get a better response there:

I believe they tuned Vibranium Mines and the newer content so it's on the level of a green terminal while leveling, and then in between red and cosmic at max level. I tried to find the official forum posts on that, but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can.

Maybe share your build on Dr. Strange if he's your best geared Lvl 60? Perhaps you've been building him in a way that is subpar in terms of performance.

If yr level 60 heroes can't make it to ManApe, I have no words. I can only suggest that maybe you are very bad at the game? I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think I've ever died on my way to Manape (though I've died to his abilities plenty, yes).

I've died before while going through the areas. Sometimes you just get overwhelmed by a swarm of enemies and basically one-shot. The White Gorilla dudes are no joke damage-wise. Never died to the Dora waves though, I think. Dr. Strange is super squishy, despite heals and shields and whatnot, so he goes down very easily if you can't immediately get up your heals.

Also, some characters are just plain ass (looking at you, Punisher).

So uh, is there any reason one shouldn't actually buy heroes with money? I see so few posts about anyone doing it and the way the store is handled just bothers me.

You have the in game store and its currency and sales. You can get plain heroes there for a discounted price. Then you have hero packs with random additions (costumes, consumables) to justify a higher price point... why? Then you have the F2P grind to get heroes either through boxes or buying them outright.

Also why do certain heroes cost more than others? I can't find a justification for tht anywhere. Are they rarer in boxes? More popular?

This game has such an odd freemium structure.

Long story short. I bought Nova because I wanted to play him from the start. I just bought Doctor Strange as well. Both times I bought the packs and not the standalone heroes. Mostly for the bank stash and costume.

Am I wasting money? lol Disregard the fact that I probably should've waited until Black Friday to buy anything, shhh.

inky

Also why do certain heroes cost more than others? I can't find a justification for tht anywhere. Are they rarer in boxes? More popular?

In the beginning it was mostly popularity based pricing: Iron Man, Spiderman, etc. were the "premium heroes", while the starters or very basic heroes like Thing were the cheapest. All heroes have an equal chance to appear in random boxes.

As the game has improved, some of the pricing reflects the work behind the development for the hero and less the popularity, for instance, Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange have more elaborate GFX so consequently, they are priced higher. Then, heroes that didn't require that much dev work (Taskmaster is a good example, Beast and X-23 in the future) are priced lowest. Packs are another odd thing, as not all heroes have packs available in the in-game store, or on Steam, or not every sale includes them, etc. You really have to keep an eye out for what you want specifically and do some math as to what might be the best possible way of acquiring it.

You are not really "wasting money" as there are some value packs out there when you take into account what they include, but generally speaking, the "best value" approach is to buy heroes strictly with Eternity Splinters (random boxes if you have a small roster) and buy general stash tabs with money. Then, if you want to pay for specific costumes (or heroes) usually wait for a sale or a BOGO sale (buy one, get one) for maximum value. Of course, BOGO is a risk, as you can get repeats, or in the case of costumes, ugly ones or for heroes you don't yet own.

Sorry if I'm not clear. My geared level 60 Dr Strange isn't dying on the way to Man-Ape. I have other level 60s that aren't geared or even spec out properly that die on the way to Man-Ape. My problem with Dr Strange are the three Dora events. I can't defend them from the spiders. My character isn't dying, the Doras are. They even behave differently from the earlier levels. They all just group up on one spot and let the Spiders kill them. Unless I can lead them away, the mission fails and I get extracted.

I generally use my taunt to lead the white ape tribesmen away, the doras follow the tribesmen. That doesn't always work.

Sblargh

Banned
It seems like you're doing the optimal thing; if you really want a specific hero you buy him; otherwise just increase your collection through random boxes

Sblargh

Banned
Sorry if I'm not clear. My geared level 60 Dr Strange isn't dying on the way to Man-Ape. I have other level 60s that aren't geared or even spec out properly that die on the way to Man-Ape. My problem with Dr Strange are the three Dora events. I can't defend them from the spiders. My character isn't dying, the Doras are. They even behave differently from the earlier levels. They all just group up on one spot and let the Spiders kill them. Unless I can lead them away, the mission fails and I get extracted.

I generally use my taunt to lead the white ape tribesmen away, the doras follow the tribesmen. That doesn't always work.

That looks overcomplicated to me, I just AoE blast everything to hell, but I don't even use the taunt on my build, which I believe is different from a lot of builds.

Edit: Goddamn, double post; sorry.

Okay cool. I didn't take into account the development process actually. That actually makes me happy I bought a couple of the more expensive heroes, as the work put into both Nova and Strange's animations is pretty damn good.

I'll probably be more conservative with money spending here on out though, but my thought process was... At the early stage of the game, having a couple of heroes you are dying to play should just be bought so you can actually enjoy grinding out splinters (I mean playing, ;) ).

Dec

I did not realize that you can switch between specs inside of terminals and such. I actually have two builds for Thor, one for single target boss killing and one for aoe (holosim, bounties). You can actually clear the bounty on the aoe spec, get to the boss door and switch to the boss spec.

KePoW

Banned
Maybe share your build on Dr. Strange if he's your best geared Lvl 60? Perhaps you've been building him in a way that is subpar in terms of performance.

I've died before while going through the areas. Sometimes you just get overwhelmed by a swarm of enemies and basically one-shot. The White Gorilla dudes are no joke damage-wise. Never died to the Dora waves though, I think. Dr. Strange is super squishy, despite heals and shields and whatnot, so he goes down very easily if you can't immediately get up your heals.

Baron -- I agree with what Red says here. Dr Strange in particular is very squishy in my experiences.

Last time I played him a couple months ago, I had full uniques and full artifacts. Even with that, I literally had only 9000 HPs unbuffed, and died all the time on hard content. He does a ton of damage, but I was annoyed by how fast he died compared to my main characters.

Granted, I did not have any of the boss-specific uniques or artifacts. Also all four of my artifacts were strictly DPS-based. I didn't try any defensive items yet.

Do you Dr Strange experts have to equip some defensive gear??

KePoW

Banned

Can you not just DPS the enemies fast enough??

KePoW

Banned
Okay cool. I didn't take into account the development process actually. That actually makes me happy I bought a couple of the more expensive heroes, as the work put into both Nova and Strange's animations is pretty damn good.

I'll probably be more conservative with money spending here on out though, but my thought process was... At the early stage of the game, having a couple of heroes you are dying to play should just be bought so you can actually enjoy grinding out splinters (I mean playing, ;) ).

I totally agree with you, but I have noticed there are some serious cheapskates on GAF over the years.

I don't know why some people are so vehemently opposed to spending 60 dollars on a game they enjoy, and have played for let's say 40+ hours

Not sure if it's some weird principle with some people. (Or actually, another thing I've noticed about GAF demographics... it seems like a noticeable percentage of posters are not even out of university/college years yet and worked in the corporate world.)

Dec

Still super crash prone though, right?

Played for 20 minutes with it and had no problems, memory usage was up to 2.4gb, up from around 1.60-1.8 on the normal client.

Seems smoother, and that was also with MSAA enabled somehow, probably through CCC since I've disable RadeonPro's 64bit API, without RadeonPro stepping in, CCC probably loaded the profile.

Played for 20 minutes with it and had no problems, memory usage was up to 2.4gb, up from around 1.60-1.8 on the normal client.

Seems smoother, and that was also with MSAA enabled somehow, probably through CCC since I've disable RadeonPro's 64bit API, without RadeonPro stepping in, CCC probably loaded the profile.
Hmmm, sounds promising. I just need to replace the 32 bit exe with the 64 bit one, right?

Dec

Hmmm, sounds promising. I just need to replace the 32 bit exe with the 64 bit one, right?

Make a shortcut somewhere and in the location line put

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\Binaries\Win64\MarvelHeroes2015.exe" -nosteam -nobitraider -solidstate

Change the location to wherever yours is, if it's different.

You then run the shortcut, launching this way will not have the steam overlay etc.

Dec

where is it, how do you activate it??

Post above you.

I think I'll stick with the 32bit client a while longer. The memory leaks seem worse on the 64bit client, we'll see.

Sweet FX also doesn't work with 64 bit games so that's a bummer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shouldnt there be Mag teases by now btw, wasnt he scheduled for begining of December?

KePoW

Banned
Post above you.

I think I'll stick with the 32bit client a while longer. The memory leaks seem worse on the 64bit client, we'll see.

Sweet FX also doesn't work with 64 bit games so that's a bummer.

Oh shit forgot about that, I'll always have to use 32-bit then with MH

I use SweetFX with MH because SMAA looks much better than FXAA

Woohoo 60 Nova! Strange is at about 25 and I got Loki from a box, one of the heroes I was contemplating. Today's been a good day.

EDIT: Just tried the 64 bit client and the game runs 200x better. I can run everything fully maxed, particles, physics, all post processing shit on and cranked.

Doubt I'll keep all the particles on though because it's hard as fuck to see anything when everyone's spamming shit.

Hereafter

@Baron my Strange doesn't have the same issue as yours. Would you mind showing us your gear and build?

Or you can contact me online later tonight, IGN is same as GAF's.

Hereafter

Sure but is there any way I can do this without taking 2 dozen screenshots or typing everything out?

You only need to take 2. Your gear and your point distribution. We can get to the nitty gritty later. The problem might be your rotation too. Strange have lots of ways to max damage via rotation.

I just finished my green Prestige with Rogue and she is tons of fun to play. I played her as a melee character the first time and as a ranged character the second.There is so much choice with her powers and cool looking animations. I love the belly flop the most. The Living Laser teleport makes a really cool noise too. I was disappointed that there are no jiggle physics accompanying her Savage Land outfit. It seems like a strange oversight when Emma and Jean have in in some of their outfits. Still Im pretty happy with the costume overall- even if her body type isnt consistent with what was shown in the comics.
I got my first Enhanced costume from the blender tonight too. It was Rockets GotG. Im pretty happy about that.
I still havent seen the movie or ever used Rocket in this game though.

Gothos

The 64 bit client is available only in Steam version of the game? :( I got only Win32 folder in the Marvel Heroes Game\Unrealengine3\Binaries *sigh*

KePoW

Banned
EDIT: Just tried the 64 bit client and the game runs 200x better. I can run everything fully maxed, particles, physics, all post processing shit on and cranked.

Doubt I'll keep all the particles on though because it's hard as fuck to see anything when everyone's spamming shit.

There's a specific setting that eliminates Power effects from other players. Makes a huge difference.

I'm at work right now, but I believe the setting is called "Power Particles"

Hereafter

There's a specific setting that eliminates Power effects from other players. Makes a huge difference.

I'm at work right now, but I believe the setting is called "Power Particles"

Just keep in mind in raids this will make the green and red meteor marker from the twins disappear.

Edit: 3 post today! Kepow are you proud of me!!

KePoW

Banned
Just keep in mind in raids this will make the green and red meteor marker from the twins disappear.

Edit: 3 post today! Kepow are you proud of me!!

they fixed the raid circle thing long time ago. circles show up even if you have Power Particles off

and yes you should post constantly on GAF more! it's fun to stir up trouble here

Wow, I think I really love Kepow when he posts seriously. :D Much different.

I don't know why some people are so vehemently opposed to spending 60 dollars on a game they enjoy, and have played for let's say 40+ hours

I know right? Lotsa people spend lots of money on stupid shit all the time, like super expensive restaurant visits, or brand clothing, or going to the theater (I mean that's like 10 bucks for 1-2 hours of entertainment. If you sold a 1-2h long game at that price, people would flip their shit).

But when it comes to games, so many people are just outright misers. I've spent a shitload of money on this game and I don't regret spending a single penny - except for the Advance Pack 1. I would've preferred the Mac Pack instead if I would've known earlier that I would get a lot more out of that.

KePoW

Banned
Wow, I think I really love Kepow when he posts seriously. :D Much different.

I know right? Lotsa people spend lots of money on stupid shit all the time, like super expensive restaurant visits, or brand clothing, or going to the theater (I mean that's like 10 bucks for 1-2 hours of entertainment. If you sold a 1-2h long game at that price, people would flip their shit).

But when it comes to games, so many people are just outright misers. I've spent a shitload of money on this game and I don't regret spending a single penny - except for the Advance Pack 1. I would've preferred the Mac Pack instead if I would've known earlier that I would get a lot more out of that.

Thanks buddie!

And you're exactly right with your comment about people flipping their shit.

As for MH, well just recently I passed the 4-figure mark and I don't regret any of it either.

Well... I take that back a little bit. I do regret the Fortune Card 1 packs I bought. I kept trying to get the black Captain America costume which I really want, but still have never gotten. Very bitter about that.

But I don't regret buying any Hero or Costume or Team-Up. I've probably bought 30 costumes or more. I love MH except for the Fortune Card crap.

Good post on the offical forum btw. I feel yah.

Thanks. Here are my Dr. Strange

uZhb.jpg

vZhb.jpg

I don't :) I switched to normal client out of curiosity and just don't want to redownload the whole thing :)
I am not 100%, but I recall hearing the files are the same, so this should work: I think you can set it to download via Steam, logout, move the game to the folder Steam setup, restart Steam and it will grab whatever files are missing. This way you can have the Steam version without a 100% redownload.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
all range and aoe powers getting damage chnages coming with magneto. thor is getting some tuning this week tho

We have a handful of Thor bug fixes and tuning changes going in this week as a precursor to an upcoming damage pass that will affect all AOE & Ranged powers for all heroes (as well as some other powers). What this means is that Thor's damage will be going up with this week's patch, and it will be going up in the Magneto release as well.

sounds like a buff all round for range/aoe when magneto comes and this week thor will be getting his own tuning

Top Bottom