• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2015 |OT2| I have, like, a Gazillion heroes

KePoW

Banned
I would probably skip him until/if gaz decides to show him some love. They pretty much rushed him out of the door and couldn't forget him any sooner. The only thing they commented on through the whole test process was the addition of some new visuals for his melee moves, which have yet to come and hasn't been mentioend ever since. He's pretty much left in the dark right now.

this is Exactly how I would describe it

good thing I don't really care about the Nova character

Summon damage is becoming an enchant

JY8SaMK.jpg

Ive got 9 pieces of bark saved now. I m confident I'll get another artifact box before Friday. Fingers crossed for that Lizards Formula.
I found a Raptor Stone tonight and wanted to trade it for a Mental Focus Headband, but i couldnt find any takers. Someone said last night that a MFH is only worth one blessing unless its a high roll. Im not so sure about that.

Amthua just posted the list of prices that will be hitting TC tomorrow for challenge bonuses / raid unique crafting:

ALL Recipes: 25 Eyes each
Random Challenge Token: 25 Eyes or 10 Hearts
Specific Challenge Token: 100 Eyes or 40 Hearts
Asgardian Forged Ingot: 625 Eyes or 250 Hearts

- On the TC right now, there are the following recipes:
Add Random Challenge Bonus to Any Unique or Cosmic
Add Durability Challenge Bonus to Any Unique or Cosmic
Add Strength Challenge Bonus to Any Unique or Cosmic
Add Fighting Challenge Bonus to Any Unique or Cosmic
Add Speed Challenge Bonus to Any Unique or Cosmic
Add Energy Challenge Bonus to Any Unique or Cosmic
Add Intelligence Challenge Bonus to Any Unique or Cosmic
Craft Overseer's Mace
Craft Claws of the Sisters
Craft Fire Giant's Sword
Craft Lady Hellfire's Talon
Craft Lord Brimstone's Hide
Craft Bow of the Einherjar

- The Bonuses require any grade 63 or higher unique + the proper token (Random or Specific), while the Raid Uniques require 1 Asgardian Forged Ingot and 100k Credits.
- The uniques are created at grade 63.
- The materials (Random Token, Specific Token, Ingot) stack, but I'm unsure how high they go. I used some to test the process and then stacked 19 of each before I ran out of rerolls.

Dec

Don't see them posted, here are the prices of the new raid vendor items.

ALL Recipes: 25 Eyes each
Random Challenge Token: 25 Eyes or 10 Hearts
Specific Challenge Token: 100 Eyes or 40 Hearts
Asgardian Forged Ingot: 625 Eyes or 250 Hearts

Buy recipe (only once) -> buy material (token/ingot) -> material + credits = item

So crafting slag's mace would be 650 eyes and 100k credits, then 625 every time after the first. Plus 25 or 100 to add a challenge bonus.

Edit beat^

Lord Phol

Ah, so that's why people have been raiding like crazy these last weeks. Just can't bring myself to raid much since I'm not finding it any fun. I'm actually not bothering getting the best gear anymore, which I have to admit is kind of a relief.

Dec

Ah, so that's why people have been raiding like crazy these last weeks. Just can't bring myself to raid much since I'm not finding it any fun. I'm actually not bothering getting the best gear anymore, which I have to admit is kind of a relief.

I think it's more that there hasn't been a weekly gaf raid in a while since TC was the one that put them together and hasn't been playing.

I assume a lot of us have been pugging weekly.

On the topic of raids though...

Maybe we can start doing Wed. and Sat. raids?

8:30pm EST Wednesday and 3:00pm EST Saturday?

The wednesday time should be late, but maybe do-able for some EU players, while the Saturday time should be good for a lot of people because it's the weekend and earlier for EU.

The Epic Team-Up Gear box is really the worst log-in reward.

It's actually really good if you have a lot of team-ups to choose from. I have some of them still equipped with greens, and most of them have blues.
And I'm not even really capable of equipping stuff that benefits the specific TU either, that's how scarce blue (let alone purple) TU gear is. :/

inky

Costume blender though!

I've blended like 20 costumes, could blend 20 more and still have UM left.

Guys, guys, They drop in terminals. Cosmic ones. Often.

I think overall, they might be more needed for re-rolling items, but that's for hardcore ppl who care enough about perfect TTKs and all that stuff.

Unstable molecules have been dropping a ton for me lately, not running any added SIF other than base. It might have been doing Midtown Madness Monday while doing LQ's.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I've blended like 20 costumes, could blend 20 more and still have UM left.

Guys, guys, They drop in terminals. Cosmic ones. Often.

I think overall, they might be more needed for re-rolling items, but that's for hardcore ppl who care enough about perfect TTKs and all that stuff.

Sheesh not me. I have really poor luck finding these things. Think I got about 8 in the bank atm.

The007JiM

Ive got 9 pieces of bark saved now. I m confident I'll get another artifact box before Friday. Fingers crossed for that Lizards Formula.
I found a Raptor Stone tonight and wanted to trade it for a Mental Focus Headband, but i couldnt find any takers. Someone said last night that a MFH is only worth one blessing unless its a high roll. Im not so sure about that.

I can trade you a Mental Focus Headband for a Raptor Stone if you want.

I'll be online starting 4pm pst ..maybe before. My username is MisterJiM.

Greetings.

KePoW

Banned
Don't shoot me, but this is my honest opinion... I think the Eyes cost for that stuff is too low.

It should be hard to get the best gear in a Raid MMORPG

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Don't shoot me, but this is my honest opinion... I think the Eyes cost for that stuff is too low.

Not really. It's going to take a casual player awhile to get 650 eyes.

You still can't buy the upgrade to item level 69 with eyes, right? So you still need to get into red raids to realistically buy the "best" gear, or farm hearts from the one-shots for about 5 months to get those recipes.

Even to craft a raid item (which isn't even necessarily best-in-slot) costs 650 eyes, or a little over a month of green raiding, a little less than a month if you're adding the dailies and one-shots to it. That's a lot of farming for a single character.

Not to mention the fact that the game promotes "alts." The main income for this game is probably hero and costume purchases, so I don't think they want to make it extremely difficult to gear up all of your favorite Marvel characters. I think the price is about right. A truly casual player (not any of us here on GAF =p) would take a month or two to farm an item. I think that's fair. Then upgrading that item to level 69 is another matter entirely.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
well if someone only starts right now, but raids have been out for a very long time already

Yeah assuming they haven't been buying those recipes to upgrade unique item levels. I've only bought one of those so far and only got about 100 eyes atm. Also I'm speaking more about people who don't raid. It will take them a long time.

KePoW

Banned
You still can't buy the upgrade to item level 69 with eyes, right? So you still need to get into red raids to realistically buy the "best" gear, or farm hearts from the one-shots for about 5 months to get those recipes.

Even to craft a raid item (which isn't even necessarily best-in-slot) costs 650 eyes, or a little over a month of green raiding, a little less than a month if you're adding the dailies and one-shots to it. That's a lot of farming for a single character.

Not to mention the fact that the game promotes "alts." The main income for this game is probably hero and costume purchases, so I don't think they want to make it extremely difficult to gear up all of your favorite Marvel characters. I think the price is about right. A truly casual player (not any of us here on GAF =p) would take a month or two to farm an item. I think that's fair. Then upgrading that item to level 69 is another matter entirely.

Yeah assuming they haven't been buying those recipes to upgrade unique item levels. I've only bought one of those so far and only got about 100 eyes atm. Also I'm speaking more about people who don't raid. It will take them a long time.

Understood, just a difference of personal perspective. I come from raiding in EQ1 / WoW, and I just like it when it takes at least several months to gear up one main character

As for alts, I don't think Gaz should design the game to account for someone fully gearing up 40 heroes. I don't think that's realistic and I think it's unnecessary

In my personal example, I just logged on and see I have 2377 Eyes. That's with already buying all five of the 66 recipes. And that's also with me missing at least 4 to 6 weeks of raiding, if not more.

Understood, just a difference of personal perspective. I come from raiding in EQ1 / WoW, and I just like it when it takes at least several months to gear up one main character

As for alts, I don't think Gaz should design the game to account for someone fully gearing up 40 heroes. I don't think that's realistic and I think it's unnecessary

In my personal example, I just logged on and see I have 2377 Eyes. That's with already buying all five of the 66 recipes. And that's also with me missing at least 4 to 6 weeks of raiding, if not more.

Gearing up 40 heroes? No. But realistically you can expect those who play this game regularly will want around 10 or so characters geared up and will rotate between them. And that's only in this current stage of the game. In two years when the characters count goes above 60 you can expect people to want to gear up and regularly play another five to ten characters. Furthermore it's less about having a stable of fully geared characters and more about keeping the door open for people to switch to alts for their new main. Lets say, with your proposal, someone puts in hundreds of hours gearing out Thor right now, but when Doom comes out next year they want to drop Thor altogether and switch to Doom full time. Now they would have to spend hundreds of hours again just to get back to where they were. This is not an exciting prospect. And unlike WoW for example, you can't switch characters at the beginning of a new expansion when there's a gear reset alongside the new level cap. Heck even mid-expansion they usually add many ways to catch up on gear. MH is just structurally much different from your typical MMO to want an exact replication of the long term gearing process.

How many hearts do you have? Do you have all of the 69 item level recipes? Those are the top tier. And they are hard to get.

Dec

well if someone only starts right now, but raids have been out for a very long time already

Why would they set the prices assuming everyone using the recipes has been raiding for months?

Don't you want the game to grow? New players would have a massive wall of unavoidable grind in front of them.

Crafting one raid unique is currently like two months of consistent dailies.

Not even counting that this shit should have been released along with the raid, not months later. It isn't the players fault they took so long to implement the full features of the raid vendor that by the time they finished a lot of people had amassed thousand of worthless eyes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've still never done a raid, or even the zoo one shot. I am such a marvel heroes casual.

KePoW

Banned
Gearing up 40 heroes? No. But realistically you can expect those who play this game regularly will want around 10 or so characters geared up and will rotate between them. And that's only in this current stage of the game. In two years when the characters count goes above 60 you can expect people to want to gear up and regularly play another five to ten characters. Furthermore it's less about having a stable of fully geared characters and more about keeping the door open for people to switch to alts for their new main. Lets say, with your proposal, someone puts in hundreds of hours gearing out Thor right now, but when Doom comes out next year they want to drop Thor altogether and switch to Doom full time. Now they would have to spend hundreds of hours again just to get back to where they were. This is not an exciting prospect. And unlike WoW for example, you can't switch characters at the beginning of a new expansion when there's a gear reset alongside the new level cap. Heck even mid-expansion they usually add many ways to catch up on gear. MH is just structurally much different from your typical MMO to want an exact replication of the long term gearing process.

Why would they set the prices assuming everyone using the recipes has been raiding for months?

Don't you want the game to grow? New players would have a massive wall of unavoidable grind in front of them.

Some valid points

However one point that some people forget sometimes -- not all MMO players care about having top gear all the time. If I had to guess, probably more than half of the mass casual subscriber base don't really care. So a MMO dev does not need to design a game toward 100% of players having top gear constantly

No player is required/obligated to always have top gear. I'm sure we've all played WoW... I would definitely say less than half of the entire sub base regularly raid and diligently do the gear grind. But that hasn't prevented it from being the most successful MMO of all time.

So I think it's ok to make a MMO where everyone doesn't have top gear, because just by human nature not everyone cares

KePoW

Banned
Awesome. Enough time for another crimson box.

Also... since there's no "real" event going on, anyone want to do bovineheim later?

I'll be on around 11 EST if anyone is interested.

11am or 11pm?

also which level is the Bovineheim one?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

I played both for many years so I get what you're saying. But I think were we differ is I don't really feel this game has much in common with MMORPGS like WoW or EQ(definitely not like EQ) just because it has raids.

To get all of the item level 69 recipes, one needs 1,350 hearts of demonfire.

This can be accomplished by running the red raid fully nine (9) times. It's the most difficult content in the game. Hardcore.

If one doesn't want to run the red raid, he needs to do Bronx Zoo, Man-ape, and histhree shared quests every day, to earn 9 Hearts of Demonfire. I'm not exactly sure when these rewards started being given, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and say they coincided with the release of the Red Raid, September 24, 2014.

So that's somewhere under 76 days that a Marvel Heroes player could be earning Hearts of Demonfire outside of the red raid. It would take 1,350/9 = 150 days, playing every day, to have earned all of the hearts necessary.

So today if someone had worked really hard, they'd be about halfway to have earning all of the highest item level recipes. Three more months to have them all. That's hardcore to me. And six months of playing a game every day to have the best gear (or being good enough to do the hardest content multiple times) is probably not just hardcore to me.

edit: also they are doing an official live stream from 5-6pm PST today. Hopefully they show Venom!

KePoW

Banned
I played both for many years so I get what you're saying. But I think were we differ is I don't really feel this game has much in common with MMORPGS like WoW or EQ(definitely not like EQ) just because it has raids.

If I had my choice, it would be like the Rallos Zek server from EQ1 heheh. =P

KePoW

Banned
To get all of the item level 69 recipes, one needs 1,350 hearts of demonfire.

This can be accomplished by running the red raid fully nine (9) times. It's the most difficult content in the game. Hardcore.

If one doesn't want to run the red raid, he needs to do Bronx Zoo, Man-ape, and histhree shared quests every day, to earn 9 Hearts of Demonfire. I'm not exactly sure when these rewards started being given, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and say they coincided with the release of the Red Raid, September 24, 2014.

So that's somewhere under 76 days that a Marvel Heroes player could be earning Hearts of Demonfire outside of the red raid. It would take 1,350/9 = 150 days, playing every day, to have earned all of the hearts necessary.

So today if someone had worked really hard, they'd be about halfway to have earning all of the highest item level recipes. Three more months to have them all. That's hardcore to me. And six months of playing a game every day to have the best gear (or being good enough to do the hardest content multiple times) is probably not just hardcore to me.

true, but to be clear I was excluding red raid 69 items from our discussion. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. reds are still being tuned and messed around with by Gaz, and heart drops only came out recently (compared to Eyez) so people have not had much time to accumulate them. so I wasn't Considering them right now

I'm talking about the Eyes currency

true, but to be clear I was excluding red raid 69 items from our discussion...

That's basically like saying gear is too easy to get in WoW, but only talking about Looking For Raid. Or 10 man normal, or whatever was the more trivial raid equivalent back last time you played. Gear recipes earned from hearts of demonfire are the top-end items in Marvel Heroes right now, regardless of how well-tuned the raid is.

KePoW

Banned
You're a braver man than I. I played there for just a bit but didn't take very long before I went crawling back to Fennin Ro lol.

Yeah, it could be torture sometimes on Rallos Zek, don't get me wrong. Was definitely krazy!

That's basically like saying gear is too easy to get in WoW, but only talking about Looking For Raid. Or 10 man normal, or whatever was the more trivial raid equivalent back last time you played. Gear recipes earned from hearts of demonfire are the top-end items in Marvel Heroes right now, regardless of how well-tuned the raid is.

If you see my very first statement that you quoted, I specifically mentioned Eyes costs. Besides, before the Hearts currency recently came out, people on official forums were still complaining about Eyes

Awesome. Enough time for another crimson box.

Also... since there's no "real" event going on, anyone want to do bovineheim later?

I'll be on around 11 EST if anyone is interested.

Wouldn't it be best to hold on to the portal for the next A.R.M.O.R. event, since All-Father Brevik drops the highest amount of A.R.M.O.R. Drives?

CyDashNine, Lead Client / Server Engineer, posted the following on the forum, regarding the 64-bit client.
CyDashNine said:
This is a long thread, I didn't read every comment but I skimmed thoroughly =) so I apologize in advance if I cover something already covered.

@sacredaardvark yes MH is LAA and it attempts to detect how much RAM is available to the program in userspace (including detecting if the machine is running the /3gb userspace switch). We have had out of memory issues on OS configurations that limit the process user space to 2gb (even with LAA) which is why we try to keep the cache sizes smaller if it detects it is nearing the end of the available memory. There are also issues with certain d3d9 drivers that get their video memory shadowed into our process memory space so even 3gb falls short if they happen to have a video card with large onboard ram. It is less trivial than I'd like.

If you look in the Unreal log you'll find a line similar to: UnrealAssetCache: PhysicalMB=? VirtualMB=? ... The asset cache adjusts cache sizes based on the min of those two values (PhysicalMB and VirtualMB) and the size of the process' memory's "current working set". If one of those values is detected wrong then the cache will be erroneously shrunk and I'd love to hear about it so we can fix it.

If the cache sizes are being adjusted during play you'll find log lines that look like: UnrealAssetCache: AdjustCacheSizes ... and these provide more information about what the caches sizes are changing to and how much ram it detected etc.

The 64bit client alleviates many of these headaches and we've actually been trying to roll it out for quite some time but a few deployment/install snags have delayed it. The most difficult thing about PC development is all of the OS and machine configurations that must be tested and supported but it is coming.

Edit: Also, the Mac version is already 64-bit
CyDashNine said:
@StrangerSin said: is the Mac version already 64bit?
Yes, it is the only supported config on Mac.

KePoW

Banned
CyDashNine, Lead Client / Server Engineer, posted the following on the forum, regarding the 64-bit client.

cool thx for this post, I'll wait for the official version because I'm required to log my Steam hours played for the game

It's gotta be a pain in the ass to do PC development. I read the Dragon Age PC Performance thread and see so many complaints, but that game has run great for me and never crashed in 60 hours of play

Vecks

Wouldn't it be best to hold on to the portal for the next A.R.M.O.R. event, since All-Father Brevik drops the highest amount of A.R.M.O.R. Drives?

Hmm. Didn't know that. But still wouldn't make much difference to me, since I'm trying to just use them up to clear up inventory space.

Dec

true, but to be clear I was excluding red raid 69 items from our discussion. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. reds are still being tuned and messed around with by Gaz, and heart drops only came out recently (compared to Eyez) so people have not had much time to accumulate them. so I wasn't Considering them right now

So what you're saying is that if this exact vendor and currency system released at the same time as the green raid, the values would be good?

It's only because the vendor's features were delayed, and people have had time to get a headstart on eyes that the costs are too low?

Time spent is time spent.

Also I'm going to bow out of this discussion. As much as I like you, Kepow, you have very strange notions about a lot of things and refuse to see reason.

Top Bottom