• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Ploid 3.0

So there are level 60 costumes? The ones you put affixes on. I've been trying to hit numbers that other people have on their costumes but I just noticed one was a level 60 costume. This would explain a lot, and I had no idea the costumes had a level, or maybe they added something that increased it's level.

Wallach

So there are level 60 costumes? The ones you put affixes on. I've been trying to hit numbers that other people have on their costumes but I just noticed one was a level 60 costume. This would explain a lot, and I had no idea the costumes had a level, or maybe they added something that increased it's level.

Around level 30 you'll start finding costume cores that you can add to your costume, which grant a few bonuses. These have a level requirement, and when you attach one to your costume, your costume will gain that level requirement and any affixes you have on your costume will scale up to that level.

I got this literally 5 minutes after hitting 60 on SW. I would say it's a damn lucky drop.
F672145B15E5C2D221B150369774891677FDF2A7

So you can place affixes into your costume as soon as level 1 if you have the right crafting levels/materials and enough credits. The values look pretty small at the beginning. Once you're able to put a core into your costume (level 10 crafter I believe) the affixes all increase relative to the core level. So a level 60 core will give the highest benefits for affixes.

Ploid 3.0

Ah, thanks guys. I blew away so much currency. Just hit 40, I almost thought about putting temporary cores in my costume but I remember how much money they cost my first character to socket.

Very awesome luck Whisky Diver. That thing looks great.

SirKhalid

I also just came back after 5 months and I really enjoy the changes. I have been playing so much this last week. I had enough for 3 random heroes and I just got a costume drop for Squirrel Girl. So sad that my Holiday boost is going to run out soon, I don't have any boosts to stack it anymore... The game was just ok back then and I got a dupe as my first random hero from the splinter system and I just gave up playing after.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Hit 31 on scarlet witch. I've ended up with a bunch of other characters but I can't drag myself away from SW to try them. I bought the Advance Pack Deluxe for the free Ghost Rider bundle, grabbed the Avenger bundle on steam for 25% off, and then already had the free Thor from Black Friday and Storm from beating Green Goblin at launch. Then I used my 230ish splinters after beating Doom (130ish splinters from Chapter 3 to the end of Doom plus 100 for beating him) on a random and got Deadpool. So I went from 2 chars at launch to 9 chars currently.

KePoW

Banned
Hit 31 on scarlet witch. I've ended up with a bunch of other characters but I can't drag myself away from SW to try them. I bought the Advance Pack Deluxe for the free Ghost Rider bundle, grabbed the Avenger bundle on steam for 25% off, and then already had the free Thor from Black Friday and Storm from beating Green Goblin at launch. Then I used my 230ish splinters after beating Doom (130ish splinters from Chapter 3 to the end of Doom plus 100 for beating him) on a random and got Deadpool. So I went from 2 chars at launch to 9 chars currently.

holy smokez batman!

Yeah I'm considering getting the Advance Pack as well, the cheaper one. It's basically 10 bucks a month for a year and you 12 get heroes (could be more, I forget) + all that other stuff. Not a bad deal really and the game seems pretty healthy...active, populated, and they do monster patches with lots of changes and additions so it sounds like they're in it for the long haul.

Blank!

whats this kingpin farming where is it ?

Fisk Green/Red Terminal, highest level you can do. It's dropping 3x boss drops if you let elektra/bullseye spawn and don't kill Kingpin too fast. Won't be around on Friday (IIRC, that's when next patch hits).

Yoday

I am really starting to get back into this game again. I played quite a bit during Beta, but when the game actually launched I started to have serious hero commitment issues, and a lack of focus made me loose touch with the game. To the game's credit though, I keep revisiting from time to time. I hopped back in this last weekend, and holy hell have they changed a lot. The changes and improvements that this game has seen since launch is truly amazing. In only six months we have seen major UI revamps, an entire revamp of the combat system, and all of the heroes skill trees to go with it. We have seen a ton of new heroes released, new areas, new ways to get items, pick up reworks. I mean it just boggles my mind what they have done with this game. There always seems to be a lot of people playing as well, which means that it must be doing well for them.

I think it is finally time that I just choose a hero and stick with it to the end of the game so that I can focus a bit more. So far Wolverine is my highest level hero at level 21, but I am also having a ton of fun with Ms Marvel, who is level 13. Is there a GAF guild going at all? Also, anyone can feel free to add me if they want to play. My name in game, and in Steam is Yoday.

I havent played since launch. I think I made it to the second area. How has the combat changed?

Game plays the same, they just been doing lots of tweaks to characters and there builds. Some systems were changed like characters getting tougher and dps was cranked up overall. Dodge based characters became less squishy.

borghe

I havent played since launch. I think I made it to the second area. How has the combat changed?

yeah, overall combat is still very diablo-ish. I only have 4-5 powers in my normal rotation (Scarlet "Witch Doctor" aoe powerhouse). Characters do seem to be refined quite a bit more and many of the characters seem more focused.

To address your question a little more, previously power trees only went up to the original cap of 30. New characters starting with Squirrel Girl and "revamped" characters (starting with Spider-Man in October, I don't know who else has been touched yet) will now have power trees going up to 52. At level 30 they will get a signature power. In some cases it was their previous ultimate power that has been tweaked and with a much lower cooldown. In other cases their ultimate power remains their ultimate power (at level 52 now) and they get a new signature power at 30.

They seem to be tuning the game much better now to actually last through level 52 (and Superheroic difficulty) than it originally started out with.

borghe

Is there controller support yet?

Diablo 3 (PC) doesn't support controllers

Path of Exile doesn't support controllers

Marvel Heroes doesn't support controllers

Torchlight 2 doesn't support controllers

Diablo 3 (PS360) was changed considerably to support the gamepad resulting in a largely different experience. Not to mention that is Blizzard, a company large enough to release what is essentially a completely different game. Pretty sure asking for controller support in a PC ARPG is like asking for controller support in a PC RTS. aka will never happen.

Where can I find builds? I logged on for the first time since launch and all I have is a level 12 Storm. I do not know what to do with her.

Vecks

Where can I find builds? I logged on for the first time since launch and all I have is a level 12 Storm. I do not know what to do with her.

You can try marvelbase.com or check the official forums, but I'd suggest just experimenting yourself. Builds don't matter at low level because you'll breeze through all the content anyway, no matter how you build her. And you don't have to worry about screwing up completely because each hero gets a total of 3 free retcons (to reset your powers) by playing the story mode in each difficulty.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the codes on this link for potential free stuff:
http://orcz.com/Marvel_Heroes:_Promo_Codes

The holiday codes might still work.

borghe

www.marvelbase.com is the only build site out there I think. Not a whole ton of theorycrafting in the game right now so mostly it comes down to just how do you enjoy to play?

I'd recommend playing around pre-30 for a bit just to try everything out (the Normal story isn't really that hard) and once you hit 30 grab a retcon and really give some thought into it. Unfortunately this only works well with a character who hasn't had their level 52 pass yet (which storm is one of). Once a character gets their level 52 adjustment from the dev team, then it's kind of the same approach except up to level 60 (powers will be distributed across 52 levels, getting your signature power at 30 and ultimate at 52)

KePoW

Banned

As others have said, you should really try things for yourself. You can always respec later multiple times.

There is no "wrong" build at your levels.

Gothos

Damn, 10 splinters every day FOREVER would be absolutely insane. That's 300 splinters a month requiring zero effort whatsoever - almost enough to buy a solid, 400 splinters hero!

borghe

Damn, 10 splinters every day FOREVER would be absolutely insane. That's 300 splinters a month requiring zero effort whatsoever - almost enough to buy a solid, 400 splinters hero!

I don't see this happening. I bet it will be a chance to get splinters.. or fewer (5?) per gift. Likely the former. People haven't complained about splinter drop rates in forever. Increasing them "because it's fun" doesn't seem to make much sense.

Vecks

They said in "some form" so I'm not expecting much.

Ploid 3.0

Also, if you haven't already, check out the codes on this link for potential free stuff:
http://orcz.com/Marvel_Heroes:_Promo_Codes

The holiday codes might still work.

Thanks for this link.

I'm just about to finally get 60. I like Scarlet Witch so much, now I'll have to give her a break to level someone else to 60. Didn't think I'd get this attached. Someone said it before, but she really is a Witch Doctor type of character. Those satisfying nukes with dot effects, very strong dots too.

I have so many interesting characters to play next. After Scarlet Witch Storm seems a bit tame. I'm going to miss that Reality Implosion ability. Gather everything into a neat ball inside my chaos.

i wish we could sell extra costumes for Gs or at least something even if its credits.

Dont trash your extra costumes. They are the most precious items in the game, IMO.
Once you get three you dont want, trade them in to your (level 20) crafter, to get a random outfit in return.
This is my main motivation for prestige-ing characters right now. My last two random costumes havent been great (Hawkeyes Old Man Logan and Hawkeyes Avenger movie outfit), but at least they werent outfits I already owned.

Ploid 3.0

You get costumes for doing something? Or is it just from the cards you can spend those shards on. I got a unmasked Dead Pool from a card. None of the costume rewards in the cards have anybody I have unlocked though.

inky

You get a basic costume for prestige-ing a character, you get them as drops, and if you use 3 costumes (no matter which) + 2 unstables + 200k credits (level 20 recipe) you get a random costume (it doesn't matter if you own the character or not).

How cool is this
So I got my Thing to 60 and had like 185 splinters. The hero I wanted next was Cyclops because everyone says he's fun, good, and has that +10% XP synergy bonus. I yolo'd a random hero box for the 175 splinters and guess what... Daredevil! Just kidding, it was Cyclops!! Pretty cool that happened. Now i can save my Gs for Nightcrawler if i like what i see from him. In the mean time I'll get Cyclops to 60, hopefully before NC's release at the end of this month.

Ploid 3.0

You get a basic costume for prestige-ing a character, you get them as drops, and if you use 3 costumes (no matter which) + 2 unstables + 200k credits (level 20 recipe) you get a random costume (it doesn't matter if you own the character or not).

Ok, going to prestige for sure now. I hit my 60 Scarlet Witch and will finish off a few more characters for more exp bonuses and will go back to witch.

I need to get my crafter to 20 so I can raise my uniques to 60 so I have a while. I've been collecting so much currency lately.

And grats Heavy, I've been hoping to random Emma Frost but I got Dare Devil, and Wolvlerine so far lol.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see this game's picking up!

I too was unexpectedly hit with the Scarlet Witch 'bug'. Got her in a random box, turns out she's probably my favorite character. Have her at 60 with a level 4 legendary and 3/5 uniques (missing cape and chest). Using a Chaos Warp build, which just destroys everything. AOE, bosses, doesn't matter, everything melts and I can't die while I'm in the Warp. I'm tempted to try a Chaos Hex build since I'm sitting on 30+ retcons and hella artifacts anyway, but Chaos Warp is so much fun, idk.

If you like SW, check out Jean. Her Phoenix is kinda similar to Wanda, she has an ability identical to Implosion. Also an AOE monster who doesn't run out of spirit and can't die if specced right. Literally, she has a insta-revive on a cooldown in case you bite it due to a freak Rhino/Jugg charge.

Also maining Ms Marvel, who I just prestiged after being incredibly frustrated with the drops I was getting on her. Been farming uniques on her for like 2 weeks, and I get everything except her own uniques - Deadpool, Captain America, Any Hero, you name it. So I said fuck it, I'll prestige her. And sure enough - Captain's Gauntlets at level 27. Gonna get her back to 60 and upgrade those to 60.

Yeah, protip: Don't sell ANYTHING until your crafter's level 20. You'll eventually regret it if you don't. Don't bother leveling the vendors until after, if at all. Not really worth it atm.

Blank!

Glad to see this game's picking up!

I too was unexpectedly hit with the Scarlet Witch 'bug'. Got her in a random box, turns out she's probably my favorite character. Have her at 60 with a level 4 legendary and 3/5 uniques (missing cape and chest). Using a Chaos Warp build, which just destroys everything. AOE, bosses, doesn't matter, everything melts and I can't die while I'm in the Warp. I'm tempted to try a Chaos Hex build since I'm sitting on 30+ retcons and hella artifacts anyway, but Chaos Warp is so much fun, idk.

I'm missing Boots and Cape. Boots are clearly best in slot so not having them certainly sucks. The cape isn't anything amazing, I'm using Nisanti right now, and it's fine. I'd love a good Cosmic in that slot, and despite some 9 or so cosmic capes, most aren't all that great.

Wish we could trade uniques because I've gotten like 7 chests (thanks Fisk Runs).

And IMO the best build is max Chaos Warp, Chaotic Hex, Chaos Magic, Hex Binding, Ravenous Binding, Combustion Hex with 1 point in Ruinous Flux, Bewitching, Bewildering Hex, and whatever else you feel like. I use Ruinous Flux as my point dump but would love a good +20 cosmic cape with it on it. You won't win a Doom TTK but you'll retain your amazing room clear/tankiness and still have really strong single target.

I'm halfway to rank 5 warlock's eye. I debated blessing some stuff, and I might slap a single Odin on something but overall, I'd rather get a legendary for another character than a blessing on something... so we'll see.

Xevren

Crazy hearing you guys say how good Chaos Warp is now, I'll have to play her again at some point to try that out. It was useless as hell for a long ass time.

Crazy hearing you guys say how good Chaos Warp is now, I'll have to play her again at some point to try that out. It was useless as hell for a long ass time.

That's what I'm saying lol. The sucker ticks for 25-30k twice per second now in that big ass aoe. Throw a lifesteal core on her and never die again.

Ferny

So back to playing after a long time out. I noticed the XP bar is a little different, and this is most likely a dumb question, but why is there two different type of bars within the XP bar itself? I can't figure out the difference.

So back to playing after a long time out. I noticed the XP bar is a little different, and this is most likely a dumb question, but why is there two different type of bars within the XP bar itself? I can't figure out the difference.

Top bar represents the progress of each individual bubble/section of the bottom bar.

Ferny

Ahhh ok. That makes a lot of sense in the later part of the game when going from level to level takes a bit longer.

hitmon

I'm considering buying a pack, but I haven't seen the prepaid card at BestBuy.com or Amazon. Any advice on where I can buy the prepaid cards? Thanks.

Vecks

I'm considering buying a pack, but I haven't seen the prepaid card at BestBuy.com or Amazon. Any advice on where I can buy the prepaid cards? Thanks.

I don't think they sell cards online, and last I know, it's only at Gamestop. Just curious, but if you're going to be ordering online anyway, why not just shop for the pack directly on the marvel heroes store? The prices of the web store are better than in-game store.

hitmon

I don't think they sell cards online, and last I know, it's only at Gamestop. Just curious, but if you're going to be ordering online anyway, why not just shop for the pack directly on the marvel heroes store? The prices of the web store are better than in-game store.

I also checked a Best Buy store, but didn't see them there either. I was hoping to use gift cards I had at Amazon and Best Buy. Can you gift hero packs? That was another reason I had interest in getting a prepaid card.

Thanks for the tip about them being cheaper on the online store.

Vecks

I also checked a Best Buy store, but didn't see them there either. I was hoping to use gift cards I had at Amazon and Best Buy. Can you gift hero packs? That was another reason I had interest in getting a prepaid card.

Thanks for the tip about them being cheaper on the online store.

Ah, I see. Do you use steam?
Well, if you don't mind a roundabout way, you can buy a steam wallet card from bestbuy. If you buy G's while using Steam, it'll take it straight from your steam wallet.

You can't gift hero packs normally, but, again, if you use steam, you can buy hero packs from the steam store and gift them through steam. However, the selection on the steam store is incredibly limited.

You can purchase $20 cards at Gamestop or Target stores. The cards are not available at any other stores that I've found. And I've looked. A lot.

Top Bottom