• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Vecks

eh, it's absolutely corny to look at it in those terms.

Yeah, I know, but he was asking to be deterred, and price is pretty much the only thing I could think of :p

Anyway, does anybody know what are the kingpin drops?
I see something about a unique cane and a white suit jacket artifact. But some people also mention a recipe?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If I got it it would be the regular as I have no interest in costumes (well paying for costumes at least), but I think I need to play a bit more Emma and see where I stand, I'm just as likely to burn out again in a couple of days. Do we known for how long those packs will be available?

So over the holidays I decided to play more of this game as I have bought a few characters previously and was curious how things has changed.
Spider-man was always fun but I am REALLY enjoying him after his lvl 52 review.

Overall I just feel like the combat is more solid than it was at launch. Cannot really place what the exact difference is though.

I am really liking the game more than I thought I would. It finally clicked with me why I am having so much fun though. To me this game is basically the old X-Men arcade game reborn with a new F2P skin.

I spent an inordinate amount of money on the old 6 player X-Men games and plaything this game brings back the same kind of enjoyment I got from that game.
The combat might not be insanely deep but considering it is a F2P game the XP grind isn't too bad and the enemies aren't too hard.

A lot of my friends thought the game lacked in the fun category because it was so easy compared to other ARPGs but I think that is part of the appeal. In this game I really feel like an overpowered super-hero dishing out insane amounts of brutality. I love it.

I have now bought 4 characters since launch. I bought Cable, Spidey, and Jean Grey in the months following launch. And I just picked up the Gambit bundle as I liked playing a hybrid character like Spidey.

Usually if I spend money on a F2P game(which is rare!) I regret it, but in this case I am not regretting it at all. Especially with new heroes like Gambit you can tell they put a lot of effort into creating the characters.

I think I will keep playing this on and off for a while. I was planning to just grind splinters with Spidey to get Gambit but with Nightcrawler and Psylocke already announced I knew I was going to end up spending cash on some of them. So now I need to just grind splinters for when they are available!

I am going to be on a business trip for the rest of the month so I won't be able to play at all, but I wanna get back into this in February. Is the GAF Supergroup still active?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was watching a Emma video on YouTube and this guy has a item that gives him Cyke as a pet, wtf? Is that easy to get? Does everyone have special items like this?

Was watching a Emma video on YouTube and this guy has a item that gives him Cyke as a pet, wtf? Is that easy to get? Does everyone have special items like this?

WJTYacK.png

Depending on your luck, you can either get it in five minutes or have to farm for five months.

WJTYacK.png

Depending on your luck, you can either get it in five minutes or have to farm for five months.
That's incredible. That's one of the coolest uniques I've seen in an ARPG and I've played em all.
If that thing dropped for me I'd immediately buy Emma. Might just buy her anyway. So far I've played melee (Thing lvl 60), ranged (Cyclops just got him to lvl 30 today), so Emma would be another totally different play style.

Rhaknar

I really need to play a melee char, I wanted to play Hulk because all the jumping and stomping around looked amazing, bue he never dropped back in the day. I'm hoping Juggernaut will have some of that feel

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
That's incredible. That's one of the coolest uniques I've seen in an ARPG and I've played em all.
If that thing dropped for me I'd immediately buy Emma. Might just buy her anyway. So far I've played melee (Thing lvl 60), ranged (Cyclops just got him to lvl 30 today), so Emma would be another totally different play style.
I've played Scarlet Witch for 45 levels. I have all of her powers, my rotation is muscle memory at this point. So needless to say at level 45 when I see this group of lava creatures mysteriously following me around and attacking my targets I'm like "huh!?!?" Yeah lots of fun when uniques give pets to non-pet classes lol.

Ploid 3.0

I am really liking the game more than I thought I would. It finally clicked with me why I am having so much fun though. To me this game is basically the old X-Men arcade game reborn with a new F2P skin.

This was my thought straight away after the first day. I started telling people that had already played the beta and didn't like it that it feels fun and felt like the xmen konami mp game in a arpg wrapper. When all of the different heroes are teaming up and doing stuff it just seem so awesome.

Rhaknar

holy shit the Cyclops clone from mr sinister is super disapointing, it dies in 1 hit. I didnt expect dps from him, but every other minion ive mind controlled rarely dies, wtf :/

hell the cyclops that spawns from sinisters medallion lasts longer! (that things procs alot)

hows this game been going:? I still get emails and there seems to be like a new character every month or so lol.

i kinda got bored after a few toons... They all kinda starting to play the same :/

inky

hows this game been going:? I still get emails and there seems to be like a new character every month or so lol.

i kinda got bored after a few toons... They all kinda starting to play the same :/

They update it pretty frequently, which has made it more enjoyable to play. Many characters, areas, bosses and systems have been reworked and the performance has gone up significantly. I don't feel like many characters play similarly now, but the game isn't very deep or challenging either.

Financially? Who knows. They have pretty long term plans which should be encouraging, but I don't feel they have a large enough userbase to keep the game going past 2014. I kinda blame the prices for this. During the Steam sale a lot of games climbed the ranks in concurrent users due to their offerings, but Marvel Heroes kept steady in the bottom half of the charts (usually at 2-3k concurrent max). I think they need to be more aggressive about that, because it might have left a bad impression on some, who might not be aware of how the game has improved in the months since launch.

Hyun Sai

Financially? Who knows. They have pretty long term plans which should be encouraging, but I don't feel they have a large enough userbase to keep the game going past 2014. I kinda blame the prices for this. During the Steam sale a lot of games climbed the ranks in concurrent users due to their offerings, but Marvel Heroes kept steady in the bottom half of the charts (usually at 2-3k concurrent max). I think they need to be more aggressive about that, because it might have left a bad impression on some, who might not be aware of how the game has improved in the months since launch.

I can agree. Game felt like a complete rip off when it launched with abusive prices for new characters, no other ways to get them (unlike another F2P like Warframe), and was very badly optimized.

It is much better now I heard, but unfortunately, it's the first months that are crucial. You don't want to be too greedy on top of technical problems, and the Marvel licence can only get you so far.

Food for thought...

SirKhalid

Yeah, Steam stats always give 2-3k users. In the last Q&A, Doomsaw said they had 500k active users. They probably have a sketchy definition for the word active...

inky

Active users probably means unique accounts which have logged in in X amount of days, usually within a month.

With Steam, it is said that concurrent is about 10% of the total of people who log in daily, so we can extrapolate that about 20-30k people use the Steam client to play everyday. Maybe their numbers are much better on their standalone launcher, which wouldn't be a surprise and is not uncommon, but I still don't think those are great numbers all around, or at least I think they could be better, going by other multiplayer games which are currently higher on the Steam top 100.

borghe

I can agree. Game felt like a complete rip off when it launched with abusive prices for new characters, no other ways to get them (unlike another F2P like Warframe), and was very badly optimized.

It is much better now I heard, but unfortunately, it's the first months that are crucial. You don't want to be too greedy on top of technical problems, and the Marvel licence can only get you so far.

Food for thought...
relaunches are almost always a bad idea.. but honestly, this game needs a relaunch, badly. The turn around on opinion of this game is only beaten IMHO by FFXIV. And hell, they relaunched.

I agree 100% with everything you said. It really came off as a greedy cash grab with no depth. Following things in beta, public consensus seemed to be that Gaz was running out of time/money to get the game launched. When they announced the June launch almost all beta players were like "ummm... whoa.. really!?" My brother and I personally thought the game was a perfectly fine beta but had quite some time to cook yet before being released.

The game now is how it should have launched. Had it launched as it currently is, I'd guess a score much closer to 80-85% on metacritic, instead of its current ~50%.

without a relaunch the game is still certainly able to grow. Positive word of mouth has caused lots of games to slow burn that seemed to do nothing out of the gate (Eve, LOTRO, a ton of indie titles, etc)

Yeah, Steam stats always give 2-3k users. In the last Q&A, Doomsaw said they had 500k active users. They probably have a sketchy definition for the word active...
yeah, but I would guess Steam represents a miniscule portion of the player base being a F2P games. There is no motivation to get it through Steam really, unlike most other PC games. Really the only motivation I can think of is to participate in a sale (I just grabbed Avengers for 25% off during the holiday sale).

Of course even that realization is ultimately meaningless. We don't know if Steam is 51% or .51% of the userbase.

Active users probably means unique accounts which have logged in in X amount of days, usually within a month.

With Steam, it is said that concurrent is about 10% of the total of people who log in daily, so we can extrapolate that about 20-30k people use the Steam client to play everyday. Maybe their numbers are much better on their standalone launcher, which wouldn't be a surprise and is not uncommon, but I still don't think those are great numbers all around, or at least I think they could be better, going by other multiplayer games which are currently higher on the Steam top 100.

yeah, but you have to compare it to Steam 100 games that are F2P and available elsewhere. A user is a lot more likely to grab a paid game from steam than a F2P title where there is literally no reason to.

Rhaknar

i see alot of people running around, just saying.

My game bugged out, was fighting Loki phase 2, died, when I go back in the room is empty... now what?

Also got a item with Kneel Before Me before lvl 30, fun spell, making bitches kneel is fun

Vecks

Now, I'm not very optimistic about the situation either, but steam stats aren't gonna be that accurate for a game like this that actually gets advertised on many websites and has the marvel license. I turned off social chat because it's always "Where do I buy heroes?" or "How do I change difficulty?" All it takes is a few seconds of exploring the hub or UI to find the answers to these questions.

Steam is more for the common gamer who wants in on PC gaming. Basically, I think there are a lot of "casual" gamers jumping in (using the website client) since Marvel is pretty mainstream, especially with all the movies getting released. I saw a lot of "This is my first mmo, what is DPS? What is tanking? What are buffs?" stuff on the forums when the game first launched.

i see alot of people running around, just saying.

My game bugged out, was fighting Loki phase 2, died, when I go back in the room is empty... now what?

Also got a item with Kneel Before Me before lvl 30, fun spell, making bitches kneel is fun

To get to phase 2, you go through the portal on the ground instead of the doorway. I did the same exact thing. Just gonna have to bodyslide out.

inky

yeah, but you have to compare it to Steam 100 games that are F2P and available elsewhere. A user is a lot more likely to grab a paid game from steam than a F2P title where there is literally no reason to.

I was taking that into account, actually. Games like EVE don't need Steam at all, LOTRO was way old when it made its way into the client, and others like RIFT and Planetside had a lot of buzz outside, so their numbers aren't that significant or tell the whole story. But a game like Path of Exile definitely benefited from it, and hasn't left the top 20 since it did. I think that kinda shows it is doing well inside and outside, while with MH it is hard to tell.

Marvel Heroes didn't start that high at launch, but it had a respectable number, that has been shrinking as the months went by. In any case, it is impossible to compare, I admit it is a relative measure if we don't have real outside numbers, but I don't think I'm wrong when I say that there's ways the Steam numbers could grow, and that there are some things they could be doing about that, but aren't.

Maybe the don't care or need to, which is fair enough.

Rhaknar

To get to phase 2, you go through the portal on the ground instead of the doorway. I did the same exact thing. Just gonna have to bodyslide out.

oh what an idiot, I thought that portal was to go out so didnt use it

borghe

I was taking that into account, actually. Games like EVE don't need Steam at all, LOTRO was way old when it made its way into the client, and others like RIFT and Planetside had a lot of buzz outside, so their numbers aren't that significant or tell the whole story. But a game like Path of Exile definitely benefited from it, and hasn't left the top 20 since it did. I think that kinda shows it is doing well inside and outside, while with MH it is hard to tell.

Marvel Heroes didn't start that high at launch, but it had a respectable number, that has been shrinking as the months went by. In any case, it is impossible to compare, I admit it is a relative measure if we don't have real outside numbers, but I don't think I'm wrong when I say that there's ways the Steam numbers could grow, and that there are some things they could be doing about that, but aren't.

Maybe the don't care or need to, which is fair enough.

It sounds like Gaz and Steam have issues when it comes to DLC. Doomsaw posted on the forums that they would love to have the Advance Pack on Steam but that Valve can't get it up there. Likewise you look at the bundles they have up and they are almost.... random.... the new ones and then a random (or popular?) mish mash of the rest. Of course doomsaw could be lying, but then why would he state it publicly if that were the case?

Personally I don't know if Gaz benefits greatly by promoting more through Steam. As others have pointed out, marketing outside of Steam or even outside of PC gaming sites may prove to be a better effort. Not to mention a bigger cut for stuff purchased directly from Gazillion.

Anyway, we just don't know... the game doesn't seem empty, but of course they have sharding going on so I don't know if we'd ever really be able to figure anything conclusive out. I certainly hope the game is successful. The turn around they've done with it... from a cash grab with the marvel license and shallow depth to one of the better ARPGs on the market... phenomenal... and the devs have been absolutely incredible when it comes to listening to and working with the community on things. It doesn't hurt that I love the Marvel license and from everything they show so do the developers.

Ploid 3.0

They need streamers playing it, Kripparian was playing the beta but I think when they delayed something he lost interest. Free advertisement, I played PoE a lot more because of the Hardcore streamers, watching if they die and their information on different min/max build/gear ideas the create. This game don't have a HC mode though.

Edit: About steam, I rarely look at the front page. I just go to library to launch my games that use it.

I just realized Rocket Raccoon's Gravity Grenade sucks enemies in like Scarlet Witch's Reality implosion (one of my favorite abilities on her). I was overcome with joy after that.

So my brother has gotten to the Loki battle at (current) end of chapter 9 with Thor and Jean Grey (at least). He was telling me the solo he was having a tough time with it, not really being able to even damage Loki at all. I got through with Ghost Rider (level 32 iirc, maybe 31) and was able to beat him fairly easily (though I did use a bunch of medpacks). Is my brother doing something wrong? Or is it just that GR is pretty overpowered?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've been thinking about this. Someone (forget who) once said "you are what you are at launch", and what MH was at launch was, unfortunately, shit. There was no endgame, no optimization, balance was all over the place (everyone got 1-shot in Limbo), basic-ass features like damage numbers weren't in yet... it wasn't ready to launch.

Gazillion has done a terrific job since then, and had they launched like 3-4 months later, it would've been much better. Hell, instead of saying "it's out!" had they just said "it's in open beta", no one would have batted an eye at some of the jankier features of the game. Comes with the territory, right? But once you say you've released, people expect a certain standard. For one, had they called it an open beta (like Warframe still is I believe, even though it's been that for many months and you can spend hella money in-game), there wouldn't have been negative reviews. A low metacritic and poor reviews are poison to those in the know, and they tell their friends what to play. I've been trying to get some of my friends who played at launch to try it out again to no avail.

It's such a shame because I have NEVER seen any game evolve and improve this much in so short a time. It's amazing what 6 months have done for MH. I think a soft relaunch and a promotional push, focusing on the new and improved, could undo some of the damage, but I'm not sure how they'd go about that. Maybe for a short time greatly increase the available starter heroes to all except the 600 splinter ones or something. I think they have to do something if they want to attract a larger audience. I get the impression may be growing slowly due to positive word of mouth, but certainly not by a lot, if at all.

The price perception issue certainly doesn't help, either. The packs on Steam are, like someone said, weird, random, and seemingly way too expensive. I think they'd do a lot better if they cut all the alternate costumes and all the extras out of the Steam packs and just sold character bundles for like 20-25 bucks, which would instantly make it seem a lot more attractive. Get them in cheap, they can always spend on costumes and stash tabs later.

And you WILL end up buying stash tabs if you end up taking to the game.

Here is why I think the game's population is healthy and I have some hard evidence:

Login and go to the announcements forum or patch notes forum. You'll see the threads have tens of thousands of views, recent threads. They're also locked. How many times would an individual read a patch notes or announcement? Probably not more than once. And since the thread is locked that means they wouldn't click it again to see new posts.

So using that + the fact that not everyone is even going to read these threads tells me the pop is fine. I'd wager a guess on the % of users that read the forum and view those threads but it would be a wild guess in the dark. Could be 50%, 75, 25, I have no idea.

Rhaknar

Why all the doom and gloom posts all of a sudden? Since I came back I've seen tons of ppl in every zone and we know there are at least 12 new chars planned

Ploid 3.0

Why all the doom and gloom posts all of a sudden? Since I came back I've seen tons of ppl in every zone and we know there are at least 12 new chars planned

Because of steam numbers it seem haha. The talk even made me feel worried about the game. I don't want it to end anytime soon.

inky

No doom and gloom. It just stood out to me that the sale bumped many games on the steam charts, but MH stayed the same. I thought it'd be nice if they took advantage of these things and maybe bring over some new people. There's plenty of developer testimonials about the positive effects of these sales, so it just seemed like a missed opportunity to me. *shrugs*

We can move on now. Sorry.

Rhaknar

No doom and gloom. It just stood out to me that the sale bumped many games on the steam charts, but MH stayed the same. I thought it'd be nice if they took advantage of these things and maybe bring over some new people. There's plenty of developer testimonials about the positive effects of these sales, so it just seemed like a missed opportunity to me. *shrugs*

We can move on now. Sorry.

The packs were only 25% off and more importantly weren't featured as daily or flash deals so they didn't exposure, it's no wonder the numbers didn't move

inky

That's why I said they probably could do something about that. Valve didn't decide the discounts or no exposure, Gaz did.

Vecks

That's why I said they probably could do something about that. Valve didn't decide that, Gaz did.

Even if they could, with the way Gaz works, I don't think they will ever go any farther with steam.

For example, in terms of deals and sales, they probably wouldn't do a price drop for a daily/flash because of their policy(?) of refunding the difference if you buy something within a week before the deal hits. It's not like steam where you just get burned, vent on the forums about how you just bought it full price recently(lol, it's amazing how many people do this), and call it a day. Gaz's customer service gets swamped during any kind of holiday sale because of this weird and sort of nice policy. And to change their policy now would cause a lot of problems.

And if we're talking about steam inventory integration (like getting items from steam holiday event), I can't see that happening either. It wouldn't be a problem if steam was their major (or only) platform, but it's more likely that most people are using the MH client. Giving away free items through the steam inventory may work as a nice promotion to get people to try the game, but if most of their existing customers don't even use steam, a lot of people will be furious that steam users get extra benefits.

TLDR; Simply speaking, I think the current user base is holding Gaz by the neck. Gaz isn't in a position to make radical changes, especially if the user base is fairly loyal and possibly small. Expanding the user base through steam-specific functions might be good in the long run, but potentially disastrous short term.

Rhaknar

So when I kill Loki I'll be 28, jump straight into heroic story mode? There was no heroic in my day so I don't know the level needed

So when I kill Loki I'll be 28, jump straight into heroic story mode? There was no heroic in my day so I don't know the level needed

That's more than fine for Heroic. It was added and balanced prior to chapter 9 existing, when you would just beat Doom at around 25 and switch difficulties.

borghe

lol. yeah I beat doom heroic at around 43 or so. one shotted him no problem. went to loki (maybe 44 or so) and it wasn't even close. I mean I tried zerging him and I didn't even make a dent. So I leveled to 50. Still had to zerg him but only died like 4-5 times tops (Between both phases)

Seriously curious how I'm going to do against SH Loki at 60. Currently 51 and getting about a level every 4 LQs. Might be worth it to spend $5/hour the last 4-5 levels on experience rush bars.

That's why I said they probably could do something about that. Valve didn't decide the discounts or no exposure, Gaz did.

Regarding the discount itself that is definitely on Gaz, but exposure on the Steam store is something they might not have THAT much control over.

We(PLAYISM) have been wanting to do a flash sale for La-Mulana for months and I didn't even know about the La-Mulana flash sale during this last promotion until after it had already finished. Hah.

Although, it is a Marvel licensed game so I bet if they pushed they could have gotten a front spot for a day or so.

Vecks

lol. yeah I beat doom heroic at around 43 or so. one shotted him no problem. went to loki (maybe 44 or so) and it wasn't even close. I mean I tried zerging him and I didn't even make a dent. So I leveled to 50. Still had to zerg him but only died like 4-5 times tops (Between both phases)

Seriously curious how I'm going to do against SH Loki at 60. Currently 51 and getting about a level every 4 LQs. Might be worth it to spend $5/hour the last 4-5 levels on experience rush bars.

Tried loki for the first time last night (normal) at level 32 with scarlet witch, and died several times. Certainly tougher than I expected. Doom was like that at release. Poor doom is a joke now.

Yoday

The Deluxe Advance Pack is looking mighty tempting. I bought a premium and starter pack before launch, so I already have 11 characters, but the thought of getting every new character as they come out is really nice. $130 for 12 characters plus extra costume, two enhanced costumes, stash tab for each of the 12, 72 fortune cards, and 24 retcon devices is a damn good deal.

Looking at this pack it looks like a true "season pass" to me. They give you basically all of the characters planned over the next year, plus some bonus stuff for a massive discount.

Also, are there any GAF Supergroups going? The more I play, the more I would like to find a solid group to socialize/play with.

The Deluxe Advance Pack is looking mighty tempting. I bought a premium and starter pack before launch, so I already have 11 characters, but the thought of getting every new character as they come out is really nice. $130 for 12 characters plus extra costume, two enhanced costumes, stash tab for each of the 12, 72 fortune cards, and 24 retcon devices is a damn good deal.

Looking at this pack it looks like a true "season pass" to me. They give you basically all of the characters planned over the next year, plus some bonus stuff for a massive discount.

Yeah I have to admit the Deluxe Pack tempts me as well but the only ones that are absolute must-haves for me are Nightcrawler and Psylocke. And Magneto I guess if he seems fun to play!

However, I can probably grab both Nightcrawler and Psylocke using Splinters in game anyway. The bonus Gambit costume is the one thing I REALLY want.

Also, are there any GAF Supergroups going? The more I play, the more I would like to find a solid group to socialize/play with

I am also interested in a GAF Supergroup! I won't really be active again until February though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There is a GAF SG, but I forget who manages it. Feel free to add me in-game (same name) if you want though!

Actually, Gaz said Nova's also coming this year but isn't part of the Advance Pack, because he was part of the ultimate founders pack and they don't want to piss those people off. With Nightcrawler not coming until the very end of this month, Gaz is going to release 12 characters in 11 months. Will be interesting!

Rhaknar

There is a GAF SG, but I forget who manages it. Feel free to add me in-game (same name) if you want though!

Actually, Gaz said Nova's also coming this year but isn't part of the Advance Pack, because he was part of the ultimate founders pack and they don't want to piss those people off. With Nightcrawler not coming until the very end of this month, Gaz is going to release 12 characters in 11 months. Will be interesting!

That's assuming they don't pull another Loki out of their asses, who saw that coming? And even Gambit and Ghost rider were a bit of a surprise considering Nova who WAS announced still isn't out

Xevren

Saw that Doomsaw has said that after Nightcrawler we will be getting Moon Knight. I really don't know much about the guy other than the multiple personality thing with him.

yogloo

So my graphic card was fried a few months ago. Sent it back to fix it and I was stuck playing with Intel hd for awhile and I sorta got used to it.

Today I got it back in the mail. They gave me a brand new card. Hooray.

After being stuck with all effects off and 720p. I'm back to max graphic again. Damn. This game is beautiful. I'm totally mirin the graphics.

Top Bottom