• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Wallach

I thought it was "rested XP" or am I thinking of another game? I never quite figured out what rested xp was exactly.

Rested XP doesn't exist in MH anymore.

How it used to work (and how it works in other games) is that you accumulate a pool of bonus XP based on the time you are logged out of the game. So, just using arbitrary numbers, if you were logged out for 24 hours when you came back you'd have a pool of 500,000 Rested XP. Any XP you earned while you had Rested XP would be doubled, and the bonus portion of that would get subtracted from your pool until it was empty.

I thought it was "rested XP" or am I thinking of another game? I never quite figured out what rested xp was exactly.

Probably another game. They removed rested experience from this game long ago, and back when it was in, your experience bar would be blue instead of yellow while it was active

Rested XP doesn't exist in MH anymore.

How it used to work (and how it works in other games) is that you accumulate a pool of bonus XP based on the time you are logged out of the game. So, just using arbitrary numbers, if you were logged out for 24 hours when you came back you'd have a pool of 500,000 Rested XP. Any XP you earned while you had Rested XP would be doubled, and the bonus portion of that would get subtracted from your pool until it was empty.
Ahh ok, ty for the explanation!

Ploid 3.0

Dang, I never used chaos warp on Scarlet Witch once. I kinda want to try it now. I have been using Reality Implosion > Bewildering hex > Ravenous Binding > Combusting Hex > the other binding. All filled up max but reality implosion (suck everyone in) and Bewildering hex (mass confuse). Confuse is awesome for the Super Villain packs in MM.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
having a real mmo / leveling withdrawl, thinking about just buying a hero and playing that from the start.

If it was 15 years ago Gambit would be a no brainer (I was a big x-men fan back when I collected comics and he was my favorite character) but gameplay wise he doesnt seem that interesting.

Im a huge fan of pet classes but I already have Rocket, and the other ones dont interest me in the slightest as characters (Luke Cage, Squirrel Girl, Loki). Hmmm

Emma Frost can perma-mind control mobs correct? So she is basically kind of a pet class?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Colossus has pets too (Magik, Wolverine)

Emma's pets are kind of just vessels for her to do more damage through, and to tank for her. They don't do very much damage in their own right, and they don't count as summons so don't benefit from artifacts with +summon affixes iirc. I'm not a fan of her personally, she's like a more boring Jean with a melee tree and a pet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Colossus has pets too (Magik, Wolverine)

Emma's pets are kind of just vessels for her to do more damage through, and to tank for her. They don't do very much damage in their own right, and they don't count as summons so don't benefit from artifacts with +summon affixes iirc. I'm not a fan of her personally, she's like a more boring Jean with a melee tree and a pet.

I bought her and Im kinda digging her, shame the minions dont count as pets for artifacts. And its really annoying me how they are always so far behind, kinda makes them useless... hmm, starting to regret this now lol

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah those are the issues I have with her as well. Shame, I was really looking forward to her, but the lack of functionality of the pets is a bummer.

I have 400 splinters, enough for any of the heroes I don't own yet. My choices are: Black Panther, Cable, Colossus, Gambit, Hawkeye (lol), Human Torch, Loki, Luke Cage, Rocket Raccoon, Squirrel Girl.

Who should I get? I want a hero with a fluid playstyle. I mean with a kit that makes sense with abilities that synergize well. And relatively fast. I'm leaning towards Loki, HT or Rocky because I want a proper pet class too. What say you, GAF?

Rhaknar

seeing people with Human Torch leave a huge fire circle with a 4 on the ground (I assume some sort of AOE?) is bumming me out, I should have gotten him :)

that said, I am kinda digging Emma. even if they are weak, there is something really cool about MCing different enemies, Im rolling around with a Hand ninja now, he teleports all over the place nightcrawler style lol. I also really like her early aoe-dot thing, reminds me of my scarlet witch days where all I did was AOE everything to death.

I already need a retcon tho, sigh. are those easier to come by these days?

Wallach

seeing people with Human Torch leave a huge fire circle with a 4 on the ground (I assume some sort of AOE?) is bumming me out, I should have gotten him :)

that said, I am kinda digging Emma. even if they are weak, there is something really cool about MCing different enemies, Im rolling around with a Hand ninja now, he teleports all over the place nightcrawler style lol. I also really like her early aoe-dot thing, reminds me of my scarlet witch days where all I did was AOE everything to death.

I already need a retcon tho, sigh. are those easier to come by these days?

You'll get a Retcon when you defeat Bullseye in the storyline (first mission of Ch. 4 I believe), once per difficulty. You can get that on each hero.

If you want to try Human Torch, you could always just make a new MH account. He is currently one of the starter hero options.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
If I could give you a Retcon, I would. Got 30+ and never bought a one. They drop semi-frequently from bosses, Fortune Cards (which also drop pretty often) and yeah, 3 per hero for the story.

Rhaknar

they raised the price of the random hero box? I could sware I read it was 150 but I see it costing 175?

Having fun with Emma, I really want to get to Sinister to MC a clone tho. Cyke or Colossus. So what heroes have the most flash spells? Scarlet's giant aoe explosion and Cyke's giant eye beam were half the reasons I played those chars (Im shallow sorry heh), anyone else have stuff like that?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It was always 175.

If you want flashy, Jean Grey has that. Ghost Rider, too. GR has some stunning visual effects, the flames look really good.

Rhaknar

It was always 175.

If you want flashy, Jean Grey has that. Ghost Rider, too. GR has some stunning visual effects, the flames look really good.

yeah Jean was the char I wanted the most to drop back when I was playing on release, still looks good too, I see a lot flying around. Now that torch is out I think I would rather him If Im to play a character engulfed in flames

Loki has some flashiness too - giant ice spikes rising from the ground, magical fogs and illusions pewpewing all the enemies.
Gambit also has some really flashy effects.

That said, I'm expecting Dr. Strange to be one of the flashiest characters to come out in the game.

Rhaknar

Loki has some flashiness too - giant ice spikes rising from the ground, magical fogs and illusions pewpewing all the enemies.
Gambit also has some really flashy effects.

That said, I'm expecting Dr. Strange to be one of the flashiest characters to come out in the game.

judging by Scarlet (and his boss version), I expect Magneto to be quite flashy

Ploid 3.0

I didn't know which character to give this to, decided on the rat. It may have rabies and a 5% chance to cause burning damage on bite.

xpLW5VG.jpg

Rhaknar

I have 6 heroes atm (scarlet witch, storm and hawkeye freebies, cyclops, rocket and now emma frost with Gs), should I get a random box when I have enough splinters? chances of a new one should be good since I only have 6 right?

inky

Yeah, they should be pretty good odds of getting a new one (do it if you don't care which one you get, as long as it is new).

With around a 50% chance I opened 4 boxes in a row and all were repeats, so I don't bother with boxes anymore.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Go random boxes until you have half the heroes, unless there's someone you very specifically want. I got lucky with Spider-Man and SW in a row, then I got Emma and Storm dupes, and have stopped buying randoms since I own well over half the roster, with 10 characters left to get. And I have all the 600 splinter ones, so it's not really worth gambling anymore.

Just know that even with 6 heroes, you could still get a dupe. But they're odds worth taking imo.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
For what it's worth I just used a random with 9 characters, and got ghost rider who I JUST BOUGHT with the Advance pack..... At 6 you still have a 20% chance of getting boned. Be wary. :p

Rhaknar

Im liking Emma but my problem with her is, im looking at the trees, and theres barely any spells I want :/ I have no interest in the melee tree, or the buffs as I mostly solo, Ill probably use the one that makes enemies fight each other (I assume it works like the scarlet witch spell, which was awesome back on release), maybe the one that makes them kneel, whatever that is, but alot of these spells have much higher lvl requirements compared to my day. Back then you could have all the spells by lvl 30 if I remember.

She kinda feels like a worse Scarlet Witch with a weak ass pet. I wanna get Cyke pet for looks wise at least, I forgot that the sinister fight is so late in the game tho (just beat Juggernaut)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i have 4 heroes, ghost rider, iron man, ms marvel and gambit, i brought a random hero box and got ghost rider lol so i can now upgrade is ultimate

If you own below 50% of the heroes available and don't care what character you play next, get the random box. It's worth it. Xevren is just on permanent butthurt status with the random box.

Didn't know that you could get dupe heroes from the random box. I guess I got lucky yesterday getting Gambit.

Is Gambit any fun? I've been using Cyclops and he's easy mode since ricochet blast does all the work.

KePoW

Banned
Didn't know that you could get dupe heroes from the random box. I guess I got lucky yesterday getting Gambit.

Is Gambit any fun? I've been using Cyclops and he's easy mode since ricochet blast does all the work.

I just got Gambit a few days ago and at level 40 I think he's very very fun.

For the first 10 to 15 levels, I was like ehh I don't know about this guy. But after I respecced a couple times and got a few more levels, I came up with a build that I find super fun. Definitely happy with him now.

Vecks

i have 4 heroes, ghost rider, iron man, ms marvel and gambit, i brought a random hero box and got ghost rider lol so i can now upgrade is ultimate

Wait. Are those the only 4 heroes you have? Which one was your starting hero? I know they changed the line up, but I didn't think any of those were starters.

hitmon

If I unlock a character in the game and decide to buy that character's pack later, does the ultimate level up as if I had a character and got the same character in the mystery box?

Vecks

If I unlock a character in the game and decide to buy that character's pack later, does the ultimate level up as if I had a character and got the same character in the mystery box?

I am pretty sure characters can only be unlocked one way, a hero token. It's not done automatically. When you buy a pack, they just put a hero token in your inventory (or in the character's stash... can't remember exactly) So... yeah, if you have the character, the ultimate gets upgraded.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Wait. Are those the only 4 heroes you have? Which one was your starting hero? I know they changed the line up, but I didn't think any of those were starters.

Hawkeye doesnt count yet :D

KePoW

Banned

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Vecks is correct. I think you just get a hero token in your bag either way, so you can upgrade the ultimate if you already own the hero.

Vecks

Hawkeye rules, you should make that your main!

Even though they are much better now, I have a feeling Hawkeye and Daredevil will continue to remain the butt of all jokes for a while. But Hawkeye's 52 review is coming fairly soon I think, so he does have a good reason to wait.

KePoW

Banned
Even though they are much better now, I have a feeling Hawkeye and Daredevil will continue to remain the butt of all jokes for a while. But Hawkeye's 52 review is coming fairly soon I think, so he does have a good reason to wait.

Lol yeah, they're actually not that bad anymore. But it's still fun to rag on Hawk and DD

Rhaknar

I was wondering that myself. not only is none of those a starter as far as i know, but this also dosnt include the other 2 freebies you get from finishing the story?

or do you not get 2 more freebies these days?

Vecks

I was wondering that myself. not only is none of those a starter as far as i know, but this also dosnt include the other 2 freebies you get from finishing the story?

or do you not get 2 more freebies these days?

Freebies were replaced with splinters. Instead of 2 more starter heroes, you get 200 splinters total, which... including splinters gained during playtime for the first run, might end up close enough for 2 random boxes.

Rhaknar

I'm having fun with the game again with Emma, but I can easily see myself rage-quit (lol) if I get a repeat in my first box. I stopped playing on release shortly after getting my first hero drop after 125 hours or something, and it being Cyclops which I had bought. Then again back there there was nothing to do except run limbo over and over again

Foofaraw

Is there a reason to play as a character that doesn't have moving AoE. I'm playing as storm, and mowing down the entire stage with Thundering Maelstrom seems superior than single targeting with most other characters. Granted, my highest level character outside of her is a level seven Black Panther and a level 6 Cyclops, so I might be missing something important about how quickly they can kill mobs as well.

Is there a reason to play as a character that doesn't have moving AoE. I'm playing as storm, and mowing down the entire stage with Thundering Maelstrom seems superior than single targeting with most other characters. Granted, my highest level character outside of her is a level seven Black Panther and a level 6 Cyclops, so I might be missing something important about how quickly they can kill mobs as well.
Ricochet for Cyclops is one of the best skills in the game, and it's a basic attack so it costs no spirit. It's seriously incredible.

Rhaknar

And now I'm considering that pack with the 12 upcoming heroes... Especially because I can see myself play at least half of them (magneto, strange, venom, juggernaut, star lord if he has gamora or drax as a "pet", and nightcrawler/psylocke because I'm a x-men fanboy) and I like the idea of going back to the game every couple of months or whenever these chars are out

Stop me gaf :(

Vecks

And now I'm considering that pack with the 12 upcoming heroes... Especially because I can see myself play at least half of them (magneto, strange, venom, juggernaut, star lord if he has gamora or drax as a "pet", and nightcrawler/psylocke because I'm a x-men fanboy) and I like the idea of going back to the game every couple of months or whenever these chars are out

It's almost (or is, if you go deluxe) the cost of two full priced, newly released games.
If the price can't stop you, I don't know what will.

Or in steam sales terms--like 20 games.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's almost (or is, if you go deluxe) the cost of two full priced, newly released games.
If the price can't stop you, I don't know what will.

Or in steam sales terms--like 20 games.

eh, it's absolutely corny to look at it in those terms. it's an online game. i already have 60+ hours into ONE SINGLE CHARACTER out of 29.

A much better way to look at it IMHO is it's basically 12 months at $10 per month for the deluxe or 12 months at $8 per month for the regular. Do you see yourself playing it for most of those 12 months? If so, not a bad value. If not, probably not a great value.

The problem with comparing it to regular games like you're doing is the rationalization typically works in the exact opposite direction for online games. Instead of "I paid x per month for this game when I could have bought 2-4 full games" it ends up usually being "I saved $xx by playing just the one game instead of buying a whole bunch of different games"

I know in my heavy WoW days, the $15/month was WAYYY less than I would have spent on games in a given month.

In this case, if playing Marvel Heroes for even 3-4 of those months in the year meant he didn't buy $60 games during those months, in theory he comes out ahead $110 for the Deluxe pack.

tl;dr it's a HEAVY dose of perspective.

I bought the deluxe because prior to the new year it came with a free ghost rider bundle. So I basically got 13 character bundles for the price of 12. Without ghost rider, the deluxe is a tough proposition. More than likely the default costume for each will be decent but basic. But you're also hoping that the included additional costumes for some are at least much better than the defaults. OR you really like both extra costumes for wolvie and gambit as well.

bottom line, you can buy anything in the deluxe affter the fact, and in fact can buy anything in the advance packs after the fact. Much of my reasoning was what I presented above. Likely over the next many months I will have hundreds of hours in the game. $130 is a way for me to support the game, get even more value out of those months with included characters, and as a result spend much less money on other games in the meantime.

Top Bottom