• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Lord Phol

Saw that Doomsaw has said that after Nightcrawler we will be getting Moon Knight. I really don't know much about the guy other than the multiple personality thing with him.

Don't know much about him myself, but from what I've come across he's kind of like Marvel's Batman, just more brutal and psychopatic. Looking forward to him though!

Funny thing is when I bought the deluxe pack I was only interested in about half the heroes, but they are all starting to grow on me. Rogue was one of the heroes I had no interest in, but after reading the feedback thread I'm starting to see how fun she could be if implemented right.
The same thing happend with GR, had no interest in him at all, then close to release I get all hyped up, I do some reasearch, even read some of the comics and now he's my current main.

Yoday

Yeah just post your in-game names and when you'll be on and someone will add you guys.
Sweet. My name in game is "Yoday". I should be on most of tomorrow evening.

As for the sudden doom and gloom, I think people are getting way too worked up over nothing. Gaz is an incredibly small studio and really doesn't need a whole lot to keep going. I was around for a good portion of the Beta, and I have to say that in the last few months there have been more changes to the game than what I remember seeing for the entirety of the Beta. Entire systems have been changed, a ton of characters have been added, chapters have been added to the story, loot systems have changed, combat has changed, and many UI aspects have gone through complete overhauls. If Gaz was hurting for money I would find it hard to believe they could afford to keep up this kind of development schedule, and be able to make such drastic changes to things.

Marvel could market the living hell out of the game with very little effort if they really needed to. I have a feeling we are going to start seeing a whole lot more marketing for the game this summer. By then the game will be in fantastic shape, and they could tie marketing into Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy. Hell, think of what they could do by simply including an insert in the DVD and Blu-Ray releases of upcoming Marvel movies.

Gothos

Gaz made one mistake, really. They themselves call the June launch an official one which led to all the major sites reviewing the game in its poor state. If they made the same move as GGG with PoE and simply called the launch as the start of an open beta none of this would happen. The official launch could be then whenever they wanted, really (like in Decemeber with 2.1 patch) and that would result in much better reviews and more players coming to the game. Someone in their (or Marvel's) PR deparment screwed up.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Gaz made one mistake, really. They themselves call the June launch an official one which led to all the major sites reviewing the game in its poor state. If they made the same move as GGG with PoE and simply called the launch as the start of an open beta none of this would happen. The official launch could be then whenever they wanted, really (like in Decemeber with 2.1 patch) and that would result in much better reviews and more players coming to the game. Someone in their (or Marvel's) PR deparment screwed up.

Exactly. I don't know why they rushed to "release" in June, not exactly high season for vidya. Game had a seemingly weird dev cycle anyway, when they showed it at PAX Emma was already playable, despite coming out months after "launch" and the UI looked totally different.

Anyway yeah, from the actual state of the game and such there's seemingly no reason to doubt it will continue to exist for the foreseeable future, it's just that it could, and should, be bigger than it is. They talk about 10-year plans and such, even. Heroes for 2015 are already somewhere in the pipeline. I hope Reaper of Souls coming out in March doesn't cannibalize the user base though. I'm certainly planning on picking that up.

ENOUGH DOOM AND GLOOM I SAY.

Raxious: biggest tip for newcomer is donate all the shit you don't need to the crafter. Leveling him up is a big deal, it takes forever but eventually you'll want to upgrade uniques and such and he needs to be at a high level for that. Hang on to useful artifacts, but don't hoard too much shit. Consider buying stash tabs. Don't bother with hero-specific ones or more than 1 crafting mats stash. They're kinda pricey but I have 4 general tabs, 1 crafting and I still wish I had more space. Hang on to cosmics and uniques, they'll be used for upgrading items in the near future.

And don't play Daredevil. He sucks.

Lord Phol

I can't find the exact post but I did read some days ago that the reason they released the game in the shape they did, was because it was the last possible day for release according to their contract (I guess with marvel?). Doomsaw also mentioend in the same post that it would have been smarter to just call it an Open Beta. Considering the pressure they had on them I think it's quite understandable it went down as it did. A bit of a shame but hopefully they'll have a bright future ahead!

Edit: I found the post! Doomsaw post about rushed release

Doomsaw said:
It was released on the last possible date allowed by the contract.

The mistake was not calling it "open beta" which many games do under the same circumstances.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The Deluxe Advance Pack is looking mighty tempting. I bought a premium and starter pack before launch, so I already have 11 characters, but the thought of getting every new character as they come out is really nice. $130 for 12 characters plus extra costume, two enhanced costumes, stash tab for each of the 12, 72 fortune cards, and 24 retcon devices is a damn good deal.

Looking at this pack it looks like a true "season pass" to me. They give you basically all of the characters planned over the next year, plus some bonus stuff for a massive discount.

Also, are there any GAF Supergroups going? The more I play, the more I would like to find a solid group to socialize/play with.

honestly, this is exactly how I look at it. And Doomsaw has already said they are (hoping to/god willing) have an Advance Pack out next year as well.

If they can keep the in-game content (beyond new heroes) as good this year as they did last year, I think that's a fine price for a "season pass", of course mentioning that it's an entirely optional pass.

I also expect to see more of the characters coming out this year being in the 600/1350 range. I would be surprised out of the announced ones to not see Dr. Strange, Magneto, and possibly Venom come in at 600/1350. Granted aside from the unannounced ones that's only three.. But even still that's 25% of the new characters at least, as opposed to the 4 who are currently on the store.

Yoday

Raxious: biggest tip for newcomer is donate all the shit you don't need to the crafter. Leveling him up is a big deal, it takes forever but eventually you'll want to upgrade uniques and such and he needs to be at a high level for that. Hang on to useful artifacts, but don't hoard too much shit. Consider buying stash tabs. Don't bother with hero-specific ones or more than 1 crafting mats stash. They're kinda pricey but I have 4 general tabs, 1 crafting and I still wish I had more space. Hang on to cosmics and uniques, they'll be used for upgrading items in the near future.

The hero specific tabs are nice to have for spare boss emblems, awesome leveling gear that you might come across on another hero, or if you have a fair number of costumes, but yeah, I wouldn't buy them on their own. I only have a bunch because they came with my founders packs. It is nice to see that they include them with all of the hero bundles though. The crafting tabs are nice to have though if you are an organizational freak like I am, and absolutely have to have a separate tab for each type of crafting material.

I'm not sure how much things have changed with the starter heroes, but I feel like at launch Scarlet Witch was the complete powerhouse that nobody ever picked. Do they still give you a second starter character when you finish the prologue?

Gothos

You get splinters now for finishing prologue and story mode. As far as Scarlet Witch goes - noone plays/ed her because her costume is soooooooo bad :D Seriously, she has one of the worst, most generic outfit I've seen in comic books. Straight out of the '60s :p

You get splinters now for finishing prologue and story mode. As far as Scarlet Witch goes - noone plays/ed her because her costume is soooooooo bad :D Seriously, she has one of the worst, most generic outfit I've seen in comic books. Straight out of the '60s :p

Compared to Luke Cage and awesome pants and shirt costume?

I really hope there is a large sale on costumes sometime this winter AND I don't miss it. I am sure I have missed a few in the past already.

I am very interested in picking up Scarlet Spider and 90s Jean Grey costumes but the prices are just too much for me. There are not very many at the 450 and I really think there should be!

Only one I can think of that is worthwhile would be the OG Cable one just because they deserve my Gs for not changing that liefeld monstrosity a single bit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finsiehd story mode with Emma, I got around 70 splinters from it (all drops Its not my first character), it still seems like a low drop rate to me, I have around 80 atm so basically halfway to a random box (which might give me a repeat), and thats from like 10-12 hours or whatever it was it took me to finish it.

Still think they should monetize costumes and shit, not heroes or make easiers easier/faster to get. As it stands, for me of course, I get bored of the same hero and would only continue if I had a new hero to level. Which I can see happen easily when I finally get my first box, Ive said this before, but Im pretty sure Ill stop playing again if its a repeat (and then probably come back in a few months when some new hero I want is out like Magneto or something)

But thats my opinion of course :) Still like the game tho, and if it had been a GW2 style game, pay 60 bucks for the full roster and then have a store with costumes and shit, it would have been one of my favorite games of last year.

finsiehd story mode with Emma, I got around 70 splinters from it (all drops Its not my first character), it still seems like a low drop rate to me, I have around 80 atm so basically halfway to a random box (which might give me a repeat), and thats from like 10-12 hours or whatever it was it took me to finish it.

Still think they should monetize costumes and shit, not heroes or make easiers easier/faster to get. As it stands, for me of course, I get bored of the same hero and would only continue if I had a new hero to level. Which I can see happen easily when I finally get my first box, Ive said this before, but Im pretty sure Ill stop playing again if its a repeat (and then probably come back in a few months when some new hero I want is out like Magneto or something)

But thats my opinion of course :) Still like the game tho, and if it had been a GW2 style game, pay 60 bucks for the full roster and then have a store with costumes and shit, it would have been one of my favorite games of last year.

Since it's not your first char, did you beat story before with another character?

As I understand it, now players get 100 splinters from the prologue and 100 more when they beat the story for the first time. Older player accounts do not get this bonus as we got several 3 starter characters originally while now players only get one free character. So a new player playing through the story for the first time should have 300+ splinters

Vecks

Do you have a lvl 60 yet? If you plan on coming back later, might as well do that before you quit and get that 30% exp bonus for the future.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do you have a lvl 60 yet? If you plan on coming back later, might as well do that before you quit and get that 30% exp bonus for the future.

no lvl 60. I get bored when you stopg etting new spells really :/ at least now they are more spread through levels, back on release you could have every spell at lvl 30. What is this bonus xp anyway?

Since it's not your first char, did you beat story before with another character?

As I understand it, now players get 100 splinters from the prologue and 100 more when they beat the story for the first time. Older player accounts do not get this bonus as we got several 3 starter characters originally while now players only get one free character. So a new player playing through the story for the first time should have 300+ splinters

yeah I have a couple of 44s and more. I played back on release.

KePoW

Banned
Still like the game tho, and if it had been a GW2 style game, pay 60 bucks for the full roster and then have a store with costumes and shit, it would have been one of my favorite games of last year.

That's what we would all want, but unfortunately that wasn't meant to be.

Still one of my favorite games in the past few months though.

Raxious

So what kind of stuff should I keep?

Also, I added myself to the google docs thingy. I went with the Human Torch and doin a ton of damage. Already got myself some epic gloves :D

KePoW

Banned

Also, I added myself to the google docs thingy. I went with the Human Torch and doin a ton of damage. Already got myself some epic gloves :D

Human Torch is pretty OP.

But yeah, make sure you don't sell anything for credits... donate all unwanted items to the Crafter NPC to rank him up.

Vecks

no lvl 60. I get bored when you stopg etting new spells really :/ at least now they are more spread through levels, back on release you could have every spell at lvl 30. What is this bonus xp anyway?

yeah I have a couple of 44s and more. I played back on release.

Hero synergy xp bonus. The more heroes you level up, the faster you level up. the first 60 is the most important though because it's +30% xp.
I have +88%, and with exp boosts/legendary quests, the late level 50's can be done in an hour or 2.

Rhaknar

Hero synergy xp bonus. The more heroes you level up, the faster you level up. the first 60 is the most important though because it's +30% xp.
I have +88%, and with exp boosts/legendary quests, the late level 50's can be done in an hour or 2.

sounds good had no idea.

Grats! It's a great deal :D.
Which heroes/villains are you looking forward to the most?

Yeah I know, and I really like supporting the devs, they're doing a great job. :)

I'm looking forward to all of them! Gazillion has severely surprised me with characters I wasn't really interested in playing ending up really fun (e.g. Gambit), but almost the entire list of confirmed heroes in that pack is exciting me just by itself. And I know that those I have little interest in (currently that's only Psylocke; Rogue is a "strong contender" to be in that pack, she'd be another one I don't care that much about) are gonna be great too.

The hero I'm looking forward to the absolute most is Dr. Strange, my favorite Marvel hero period, sadly he is not going to be out after Nightcrawler (who is my favorite X-Man, btw), but we'll get Moon Knight who also will be awesome I'm sure.

Next year is gonna be great, and the pack could only be more awesome if one of the two mystery characters in it ended up being Dr. Doom.

Rhaknar

do you get retcons from the quests in heroic difficulty also or was that a one time deal in normal difficulty only? I want to drop points into the minion buff thing, this asgard hammer dude is a beast, and I dont really need points in the basic attack, I rarely use it, I just aoe everything and only really use it when im out of mana from the health drain shit that I use for single target on bosses, and I dont need it as dmg really

Vecks

do you get retcons from the quests in heroic difficulty also or was that a one time deal in normal difficulty only? I want to drop points into the minion buff thing, this asgard hammer dude is a beast, and I dont really need points in the basic attack, I rarely use it, I just aoe everything and only really use it when im out of mana from the health drain shit that I use for single target on bosses, and I dont need it as dmg really

you get one retcon per difficulty. but if you prestige you won't get it again.

hitmon

I beat Doom with my second character, but didn't get any splinters. I thought splinter drops after completing story?

Edit: I guess I haven't completed story? Just realized there is a chapter 9 now.

I beat Doom with my second character, but didn't get any splinters. I thought splinter drops after completing story?

Edit: I guess I haven't completed story? Just realized there is a chapter 9 now.

They only dropped if you made an account after they implemented that system I believe. Older accounts that played through story previously do not get any bonus splinters since they gave us extra free heroes.

Rhaknar

The first one. You should get 3 for each character if you do the 3 story mode difficulties. They are not that uncommon tbh. You should probably get a few more from the free fortune cards.

confirmed, got my retcon from beating bullseye on heroic :)

hitmon

They only dropped if you made an account after they implemented that system I believe. Older accounts that played through story previously do not get any bonus splinters since they gave us extra free heroes.

Oh, bummer. Yeah I just completed Chapter 9 and didn't get any bonus splinters. Thanks for clarifying.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I gots posts to make! Outta my way peasants!

Secret shame time: Admit how much time you've spent playing Marvel Heroes. My steam counter just ticked over 500 hours and that's insane. The last time I spent this much time on a single game I was 14 and playing hella Counterstrike.

I should in fact be revising for an exam right now.

KePoW

Banned
I gots posts to make! Outta my way peasants!

Secret shame time: Admit how much time you've spent playing Marvel Heroes. My steam counter just ticked over 500 hours and that's insane. The last time I spent this much time on a single game I was 14 and playing hella Counterstrike.

I should in fact be revising for an exam right now.

Steam shows around 750 hours for me.

That's not counting about 100 hours before I switched to the Steam version.

150 hours for the Steam version, which is not counting the easily 100 hours I put into the game during Beta/before the Steam version and on the test server (though that was only brief).

I have no shame for that. I would have no shame even if I had over 1000 hours put into it either, though. I spent a lot of money on it, I enjoy it thoroughly (even though I take periodic breaks to not burn out), so I see no reason not to play it a lot! :)

Blank!

I posted on the forums but I'll paste it here:

"You'll probably get a host of different answers... I've put a decent amount of money into stash space simply because I hate throwing stuff away. All that said:

Retcon devices/unstable molecules/unbinding matrixes should be kept. How many retcons you need probably depends on how many characters you play/get, but I tend to horde them despite rarely using them.

Medals: Moleman medals (level 30ish with +2 intelligence) I keep for new heroes since it helps with leveling. I'll keep some low level cosmic medallions if I come across them (like level 25ish) just to use and donate on upcoming low level heroes. I'll keep level 60 medallions that get really good rolls (near perfect Sinister/Wizard/Madame Hydra/and Cosmic Medallions). I also keep Rhino, Sabertooth, Hood, Wizard, and Taskmaster medallions because those 5 can be used to craft a Bovine Sector portal (random drop from Mark 1 Fortune Cards, not necessary to keep if you don't have the recipe).

Artifacts: If I had to list my top 8 artifacts it'd probably be:

Hand of Doom Pym Shrinking (adv) Crimson Crystal of Cryotrak (adv) Meta Sensory Meta Sensory Xerogen Crystal Ziggurat of Kargul (adv) Super Solider Serum

The vast majority of these will work for multiple heroes. There are plenty of other good artifacts not listed, but tend to only be good for a handful of heroes. These artifacts usually find their way onto multiple characters final level 60 build and always seem to be en vogue for trading (provided they have good rolls, even mediocre hand of doom rolls trade well it seems) That said, artifacts come in go "in style" and what you save may depend on who you want to play (or are playing) so I'd keep an eye on specific character forums for people you may be eyeing to play.

There are also a handful of low level artifacts which I find incredibly useful early on:

Scrolls of Puma - Helps spirit management early on by giving spirit on orb pickup and the random red orb spawn helps characters without natural HP regen. Level 20 requirement, I usually keep this equipped until the 50's on most of my characters.

Starstone Tooth (not adv) - Level 14, health regen on hit chance.

Talisman of K'un Lun - An underrated amount of damage provided you're firing as close as possible.

Shield Motion Tracker - I actually hate not playing with "radar". I'll usually keep this on until 30ish when I can equip Moleman if the character doesn't come with radar. I usually ditch radar for "end game" builds but I like it for leveling.

There's a metric ton of crap artifacts that may be buffed in some distance future but who knows?

Costume Cores: Anything with 0 or 1 affix I toss. The majority of non-60 cores I get, I also toss. In theory, I should be keeping the +1 intelligence cores for leveling but I never remember to put them on when I do, so I stopped trying If I don't use it right away, I'll likely forget and never use it. I mostly keep 58-60 cores depending on what it roles. I don't keep anything with +spirit (unless it's Ironman usable) as an affix, +defense of any kind, +speed on medkit use, or +invisibility on medkit use. I've also been tossing +speed/+intelligence, but with the future rework I've been starting to horde these too just in case they become viable end game stats.

I dunno, hope this helps some..."

I would probably amend this with the most recent patch to NOT include super soldier serum. Relics are okay to collect provided you have the space, but have HUGE diminishing returns past ~100. 1 stack of each "pure" molecule for crafting purposes I also didn't mention. There's a lot more but it all depends on what kind of hoarder you want to be :)

Ploid 3.0

Ok, no more random character for me. My third random I got Scarlet Witch while I was on Scarlet Witch. My 5th random was Rocket Raccoon while I was on Rocket Raccoon. Good thing I actually want to level up his special ability.

Yoday

I have a launch account, but I never finished the story. I hope I at least get the splinters for finishing the story once, as I never got the bonus character award.

Top Bottom