• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
broke 100 splinters, 75 or so to go until crushing disapointment

I have a launch account, but I never finished the story. I hope I at least get the splinters for finishing the story once, as I never got the bonus character award.

If you played the prologue, beating green goblin and getting the extra free hero from that, I believe it automatically prevents you from getting the bonus splinters from doing the story.

Gothos

I have a launch account, but I never finished the story. I hope I at least get the splinters for finishing the story once, as I never got the bonus character award.

Remember that there is a new lineup of starting heroes so it might be a good idea to start over if you're not far with your current hero and don't really enjoy him :)

hitmon

Cable is pretty cool so congrats on that.

Thanks, its my first drop/unlocked character since they changed everything up.

Are there any recommended areas for leveling 30+ characters? I've been running around chapter 9 mostly and wondering if there is a better area.

Yoday

Remember that there is a new lineup of starting heroes so it might be a good idea to start over if you're not far with your current hero and don't really enjoy him :)
It's not for a lack of Heroes. I bought two founders packs and have 11 heroes currently. I was just hoping for the extra splinters since I never got the third free hero (I was always hoping for Storm). Oh well, it's not like I have a shortage or characters or anything. :p

Are there any recommended areas for leveling 30+ characters? I've been running around chapter 9 mostly and wondering if there is a better area.

Legendary quests are hands down the fastest way to level from 20 all the way to 60. Especially once you're familiar with them.

Vecks

It's not for a lack of Heroes. I bought two founders packs and have 11 heroes currently. I was just hoping for the extra splinters since I never got the third free hero (I was always hoping for Storm). Oh well, it's not like I have a shortage or characters or anything. :p

I don't know. I think you might be able to get those splinters. You'll have to be our test subject on this matter, since very few would be in your shoes.

Yoday

I don't know. I think you might be able to get those splinters. You'll have to be our test subject on this matter, since very few would be in your shoes.
I'll be sure to post my results. I am at the end of chapter seven right now, so I should be finishing up soon.

So I'm doing it "wrong" by doing heroic story?

I personally thought playing through the story again is a bit boring, and it is slower in terms of XP progression.

Once I got Loki - my only character at Superheroic difficulty - through the main story on Normal, I started playing Midtown Manhattan a lot. You can reroll your legendary quests, which give MASSIVE amounts of XP once completed, for a few credits, so you can do them during Midtown. Or, alternatively, you can do the story-related quests. Usually, the game unlocks the waypoints you need to complete those.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The way I level - I level each character to 20 doing story mode, so I get the rewards along the way. Thanks to my synergy (like 105% now) this is usually around chapter 6. Then I grind legendary quests, all the way. If you get a legendary quest, the associated waypoint is automatically unlocked, so at some point I go back and clean up the quests that grant power points, retcons, xp potions and rarity boost potions. I know them by heart now. I usually don't bother with most of the +spirit and +health missions unless I'm planning to play the character long-term. You can get 4 power points, a retcon, rarity boost, xp boost, 3 times +5 spirit and 3 times +25/50 health I believe, per difficulty in story mode. If you're playing on Steam, pop up the overlay. One of the top guides in Steam is the one that lists missions that grant rewards, so you can check out what's worth doing. I know it by heart by now :p I don't think it lists the rewards for the 'new' chapter 9, which are a power point and +5 spirit at the very end after beating the last boss.

My new favorite Legendary Quests are the terminal ones, since there's little to no RNG involved like with the Midtown spawns, so they're all pretty quick except for the Castle Doom one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am noticing my Emma is lvl ing a lot slower now hmm. But if you don't do the story quests you don't get the extra power points and whatnot

Play the way you want. Legendaries can get boring too and repeat, and sometimes get stuck with one that is slightly outside your level range.

If you want to power level, then doing the legendaries is one of the easier ways, but again then why are you power leveling in this game? There is not exclusive high level content and if you start a new character anyways your going to end up doing the story from scratch.

To not burn yourself on the game, play whatever you feel like to enjoy it, there really is no set "endgame" goal in this game.

And yes doing the story on higher levels earns you some of the extras like stat bonuses and power point rewards again.

Vecks

The story just gets kind of boring to do over and over again. You'll level up sooo much faster doing legendary quests (going to midtown/xdef), it's insane. Makes 20-30's go by almost instantly. Some legendary quests are done in story areas, so you can knock out 2 birds with one stone.

Most of the story rewards aren't that important. I only go get retcons/rare item boost/exp boost if I need them (like during a boost weekend). Or if my hero is low on spirit, I'll do those max spirit+ quests. Or if I want an extra power point here or there (usually after I reach level 60), I'll do them to max out the hero.

You can go here and see which ones you want and do those: https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/9051/quests-rewards-patch-2-1/p1

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't mind SW's default outfit, but I bought her Marvel Now classy dress.

https://marvelheroes.com/sites/defa...eets/image/costume_scarletwitch_marvelnow.jpg
I didn't even realize her Ultimates costume was less than a month old. It's what I went with. Couldn't be happier.

Oh, bummer. Yeah I just completed Chapter 9 and didn't get any bonus splinters. Thanks for clarifying.
If you choose a 200 ES starter you get 100 ES after Gobby and 100 after Doom. If you choose a 400 ES starter you don't get any splinters for those. If you played at launch then right now you will get any of the 100 ES rewards you didn't get before. I got my second starter at launch, quit, came back now and beat doom so I got another 100 ES.

Rhaknar

Looking at the current roster, not counting the 6 I own, there are only 5 heroes I flat out don't want. So between the 9 I actually want, and the 8 I wouldn't mind getting, odds for a positive random box are ok...right guys? Guys? Please? :(

Yoday

Looking at the current roster, not counting the 6 I own, there are only 5 heroes I flat out don't want. So between the 9 I actually want, and the 8 I wouldn't mind getting, odds for a positive random box are ok...right guys? Guys? Please? :(
I honestly find pretty much all of the characters to be fun, even the ones I don't necessarily want. I played nearly the entire launch roster in Beta, and I don't recall a single one that I flat out didn't like. There were a few that felt bad at first, but grew on me as I got the hang of their style like Black Widow.

hitmon

I didn't even realize her Ultimates costume was less than a month old. It's what I went with. Couldn't be happier.

If you choose a 200 ES starter you get 100 ES after Gobby and 100 after Doom. If you choose a 400 ES starter you don't get any splinters for those. If you played at launch then right now you will get any of the 100 ES rewards you didn't get before. I got my second starter at launch, quit, came back now and beat doom so I got another 100 ES.

Thanks for the follow-up. Thanks to everyone else for the leveling tips.

borghe

I own 9. My 9th one was Ghost Rider from the Deluxe Advance Pack. My second ever random and I got... Ghost Rider................

Yes the odds are in your favor. Which makes it sting worse when they come up wrong.

I'm still contemplating rolling random next (I'm at about 140). My brother mocks me asking if I really need GR's ultimate at level 3 (even more painful being my GR is only level 10)

Rhaknar

I own 9. My 9th one was Ghost Rider from the Deluxe Advance Pack. My second ever random and I got... Ghost Rider................

Yes the odds are in your favor. Which makes it sting worse when they come up wrong.

I'm still contemplating rolling random next (I'm at about 140). My brother mocks me asking if I really need GR's ultimate at level 3 (even more painful being my GR is only level 10)

What was your first random?

borghe

What was your first random?

picked scarlet witch at launch. first random starter for beating goblin back in june was storm. I bought the avengers pack on the steam sale and got thor for the holiday giveaway. Then I finally beat the game with Scarlet Witch and my first ever random from ES was Deadpool. I got Ghost Rider from the Advance Pack Deluxe purchase on New Years Eve and figuring my luck with randoms was so incredible (I mean DEADPOOL) I went again and got GR again. I mean technically I did get two 600/1350 characters from random! lol I just already owned one. The irony would be if I do random again and get another Deadpool. sigh.

Wallach

Tossed them some more cash so I could get Cyclops' 90's X-Men costume, and got a bit more stash space with what was left over. Cyclops just doesn't seem like Cyclops without that outfit.

SirKhalid

Boo! I just got Cyclops as a duplicate from random boxes. Right now, I got 3 duplicates and 3 new heroes from these boxes. I was going to wait for Nightcrawler to boost my chances to 11/29 but I was not able to resist the temptation.

Tossed them some more cash so I could get Cyclops' 90's X-Men costume, and got a bit more stash space with what was left over. Cyclops just doesn't seem like Cyclops without that outfit.

Much as I like his Phoenix Force costume the best, over time I've come to feel the same way. Might pick it up once the dude gets his 52 review.

Rhaknar

I'm scared to tangle with the random box gods, not looking forward to it

I'm scared to tangle with the random box gods, not looking forward to it

Mathematically it's actually a very good deal even if you roll a 200 splinter hero. When you only have a few unlocked, you're also very unlikely to get a duplicate (and even if you do, it's not that expensive). Unless you really, really want to play a particular hero for a particular reason, then randoming up until you have about 10-15 heroes is mathematically superior to anything else. And if you want a hero that badly, there's no sense in investing hundreds of hours to get 400 or 600 splinters when you can just shell out the equivalent of working 2 hours at a minimum wage job to purchase them.

Yoday

I hear you. I just signed up for Marvel Unlimited due to the $4 first month deal that they are running right now. I started reading Captain Marvel (great book, hope it goes to movie land), and now I want that awesome new Captain Marvel outfit for my Ms. Marvel.

Rhaknar

If I had an ipad I would subscribe to marvel unlimited, the game has really rekindled my comic love.

hitmon

I'm only level 6 with Cable, but I'm enjoying running around enemies with Kinetic Repulsion and watching them drop.

shock33

Does anyone else get a weird graphical effect intermittently when using Spiderman? Happens quite often when using zip line and every now and then just running round.

Basically is just a load of horizontal yellow lines scrolling down over the character model. Only happens on Spiderman and I've tried several costumes (thought it might be related to the symbiote costume but no).

It's really annoying! Searched the marvel forums but couldn't see anything

(Managed to steam screenshot it last night but at work at the moment)

EDIT: just to add, nvidia 670 gtx, updating drivers made no difference

Wallach

Does anyone else get a weird graphical effect intermittently when using Spiderman? Happens quite often when using zip line and every now and then just running round.

Basically is just a load of horizontal yellow lines scrolling down over the character model. Only happens on Spiderman and I've tried several costumes (thought it might be related to the symbiote costume but no).

Check to see if it's happening after using your ultimate or signature. If so it's a known bug that should get fixed soon.

shock33

I've never really used him so he's only at level 9 so no signature/ultimate at the moment. Will have another trawl in the marvel forums to see if I can see anything

Talking about this effect?

yy5t.png

That's just a visual that corresponds to his web zipline speed boost activating and deactivating.

Top Bottom