• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Vecks

Nope. I don't think it can even be done.

Maybe we are full? :O

I don't think we are full yet. The limit is supposed to be 100, and we are around 85 or something. There are a few people who want in, but I don't know who's able to invite them.

inky

I don't think we are full yet. The limit is supposed to be 100, and we are around 85 or something. There are a few people who want in, but I don't know who's able to invite them.

Well, then... tell them to send me a PM and I can hop in a few to invite them. I'll try making a few others officers so that they can invite as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
think ill grind some legendary quests for a bit, its annoying me to be doing the heroic story and all the drops being 2-3 levels above mine. I dont feel underlvled, but aparently i am for the drops

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
think ill grind some legendary quests for a bit, its annoying me to be doing the heroic story and all the drops being 2-3 levels above mine. I dont feel underlvled, but aparently i am for the drops

honestly going through the story isn't "worth it". grinding legendaries and terminals is far more beneficial to your actual character and imho slightly more interesting. the missions that give you stat upgrades are obviously necessary(-ish) for end-game but there's no reason you can't just grind the LQs and terms after 20 and go back to the story modes.

I think LQs might be sort of blocked (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you greatly outlevel story mode and don't complete. So if you are in your 40s you might be screwed on some story mode LQs that would normally say "make sure you are on Heroic (or Superheroic) mode" if you haven't beaten the Normal or Heroic story. But I could be wrong on this. Even still, if they did pop up you could just pay to reroll them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
also my hammer dude from asgard (gold elite that looks like the thing...but with a hammer) finally died, he was 1 shot by Juggernaut's charge o_O

Moondrop

Banned
Played for first time in 4 months. The game is definitely improved; I really appreciated the little cooldown bars for my medikit (and ultimate too presumably).

But holy hell did they nerf non-Phoenix Jean's survivability. Where I used to have a shield I've now got a push; ugh. I'm going to grind her to 60 then put her on the shelf.

Maybe I'll actually download the test server for Nightcrawler.

Vecks

Played for first time in 4 months. The game is definitely improved; I really appreciated the little cooldown bars for my medikit (and ultimate too presumably).

But holy hell did they nerf non-Phoenix Jean's survivability. Where I used to have a shield I've now got a push; ugh. I'm going to push her to 60 then put her on the shelf.

Maybe I'll actually download the test server for Nightcrawler.

They have been talking about evening out her two sides, but we'll probably see more of that in her lvl 52 review. I'm using pheonix just to power level her until they make those changes.

Moondrop

Banned
They have been talking about evening out her two sides, but we'll probably see more of that in her lvl 52 review. I'm using pheonix just to power level her until they make those changes.

Yeah I've been deliberately running a non-Phoenix build; I even use the Marvel Girl costume. Jean needs a functional TK bubble; it's literally her signature power. Nevertheless I'll have a new main soon, so, whatever.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Never understood why anyone would want to play non-Phoenix Jean. You can be a cosmic firebird destroying everything around you and never dying and you want to run around as boring Jean? She's still pretty beastly in Phoenix form despite not having a great single target spirit spender.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Doomsaw answered my question :D

my question
we all like new content, it got me thinking yesterday that each hero could get like a small story chapter going through big things they did in the comics or something ? i know this would probably take time but thought it would be neat

doomsaw
We have a design for this, but have a lot of stuff to get to for everyone. However, it will likely happen in some capacity one day or another...

Ploid 3.0

Never understood why anyone would want to play non-Phoenix Jean. You can be a cosmic firebird destroying everything around you and never dying and you want to run around as boring Jean? She's still pretty beastly in Phoenix form despite not having a great single target spirit spender.

Playing Scarlet witch I noticed that the chaos warp op build was strong, but watching it, it looked boring or too simple. The game is already a bit easy and playing a non phoenix Jean may be more interesting.

Edit: Oh you meant a whole different character Jean without the Phoenix powers. It could be interesting. Force powers and stuff.

Moondrop

Banned

The reasoning is comic book-centric. Short version: the Phoenix force essentially killed the original Jean Grey, so it feels wrong to take advantage of that power to win a video game ;). Plus classic Jean is underrated.

NC's default costume

f72LnNM.jpg

Rhaknar

Weird costume for NC, I assume it's from his latest run?

Not as weird as gambit with a gray trench coat tho

Gothos

Not bad of a costume for elf, not bad at all. He's supposedely really fun. Can't wait to check him out on TC. My 600 splinters await :)

Yoday

Every time I see Doomsaw's name, I can't help but read it as Rockjaw. For those that don't know, he was the community manager for SWTOR before being among the people let go shortly after the game launched. His name was Rockjaw there. He was a great community manager back then, and I think he is an even better one now, as I think they give him more freedom to speak at Gaz.

Every time I see Doomsaw's name, I can't help but read it as Rockjaw. For those that don't know, he was the community manager for SWTOR before being among the people let go shortly after the game launched. His name was Rockjaw there. He was a great community manager back then, and I think he is an even better one now, as I think they give him more freedom to speak at Gaz.

Actually, Rockjaw is an entirely different person! He used to be at Gazillion, but he departed shortly after Marvel Heroes actually went live. Also was one of the few people to advocate the inclusion of Captain Britain, which I'd absolutely love.

Yoday

Actually, Rockjaw is an entirely different person! He used to be at Gazillion, but he departed shortly after Marvel Heroes actually went live. Also was one of the few people to advocate the inclusion of Captain Britain, which I'd absolutely love.
Ah, I must be thinking of a different name then. My bad.

Xevren

My main reason is it's an eyesore and it's incredibly boring. Run into things and laugh because you pretty much just can't die.

borghe

Weird costume for NC, I assume it's from his latest run?

Not as weird as gambit with a gray trench coat tho

they alluded to this answer in the nightcrawler/art bar thread. Marvel has mandated that the default costume for all characters is the "modern" costume. Gaz has no choice in the matter.

The good news is that I don't think Gaz has ever said Marvel had rejected anything, and actually comments "marvel has approved blah" quite often.

inky

they alluded to this answer in the nightcrawler/art bar thread. Marvel has mandated that the default costume for all characters is the "modern" costume. Gaz has no choice in the matter.

That has to be a new thing, right? Kinda sucks tbh.

KePoW

Banned
I had no idea Marvel had so much control over minor specific details of a video game? I thought they mainly just sold the license and sit back and make royalties off it.

Rhaknar

The good news is that I don't think Gaz has ever said Marvel had rejected anything, and actually comments "marvel has approved blah" quite often.

Well by weird I mean I don't know these costumes because I haven't read comics in like 10 years, I actually approve of the main costume bring the current one and the classic looks being dlc

Ploid 3.0

I had no idea Marvel had so much control over minor specific details of a video game? I thought they mainly just sold the license and sit back and make royalties off it.

I have a feeling the only reason Rocket Raccoon was in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is because they were buttering us up for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edit: I wish Scarlet's costume was something more recent.

Capcom said that Marvel was super strict on them about nailing Dr. Strange's hand signs and motions in UMvC3, so they're definitely anal about certain details.

borghe

Marvel realized around a decade ago that they weren't a comic book company but an intellectual properties company. These aren't my words but I believe Joe Quesada's or Dan Buckley's(?). In that light, Disney's purchase of them makes 100% complete sense as that's really the same position a big chunk of Disney's revenue was/is in also.

Anyway, when your main business are your IPs, you need to maintain strict control over them. Fortunately it seems Marvel, while maintaining strict control, is also very happy to celebrate their past. So for instance the default costumes are the modern ones, but the classic costumes that Gaz has pitched have all been approved 100%. For instance the "newer fantastic four" ghost rider costume that should be out this week from FF #347-349. Likewise they have movie tie-ins, but also let Gaz put in their own modes as well.

One thing you gotta give Marvel credit for.. they've done a tremendous job of controlling their product but at the same time making it accessible, both before the Disney buyout and about the same after the buyout.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I saw an interview with Doomsaw a little while ago where he talked a bit about working with Marvel on stuff, saying they're super anal about character details, down to the length of Emma's heels. I'm sure stuff has been denied by Marvel, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to talk about those instances.

Also, I think he said Nightcrawler is launching with the classic costume as well, which advance pack deluxe owners (me) will get.

I'm not a huge NC fan or anything but look forward to trying him out. Teleporting all over the place could be pretty cool.

Lord Phol

That has to be a new thing, right? Kinda sucks tbh.

As someone who actually enjoys the modern costumes more it kind of sucks too. It makes my deluxe pack purchase less exciting as I won't bother much with the classic costumes. It also means that more people will be running around with the same costume as myself, since people who buy the hero with splinters will only get the modern costume.

Oh well, not a big deal, the model is still amazing and I'm really hyped to get my hands on Nightcrawler!

One thing you gotta give Marvel credit for.. they've done a tremendous job of controlling their product but at the same time making it accessible, both before the Disney buyout and about the same after the buyout.

Honestly, as much as people like to blame Disney for everything bad that has happened to Marvel, it's been nothing but beneficial for Marvel.
Disney has been letting Marvel handle whatever they want however they want, and hasn't touched the franchises at all, except for supporting whatever Marvel wanted to do with their immense resources, and basically commissioning them to do super hero cartoons for their Disney channel. Which, despite all the hate they get (mostly cause they're not the 90s shows), is not bad, and actually beneficial, because it raises our current youngsters to become comic book character fans, which I reckon is good.

I'm actually very glad that Marvel has become aware of their IPs and is trying to put out quality products with their name on them instead of the shovelware we mostly got in the late 80s up until the early 2000s.

I mean, as someone who's an enormous Dr. Strange fan, I'm very glad that Marvel also has been really anal about details like quotes, incantations and such, because Dr. Strange in MvC3 feels exactly like Dr. Strange should feel like in a fighting game. Same for Dormammu and Super-Skrull, and all the other characters, especially those that have debuted in MvC3.

The only thing I'd prefer is that the end of the license doesn't mean an old game would have to be removed from digital distribution (MvC, MUA2, etc.), but I guess that comes with the digital medium.

Ploid 3.0

Finished my second 60, now wondering who to take up next. Ms. Marvel and Storm are already at 32 so probably one of them. I'm going to see what the update did for them, even though I started playing after 2.1 I think.

Rhaknar

got to 40 on Emma, been mixing Legenary quests with story. Im at the start of chapter 8 heroic now. Still having fun with her, and with the game, but Im afraid the random box will break me if it fucks me over.

Vecks

got to 40 on Emma, been mixing Legenary quests with story. Im at the start of chapter 8 heroic now. Still having fun with her, and with the game, but Im afraid the random box will break me if it fucks me over.

I just did a random box yesterday. Got Deadpool. Now I've got 3 of the 4 600-splinter heroes (no ghost rider yet) all through random box. Maybe that'll give you some hope.
The one before was a dupe though. :p

Started playing this for the first time last night, picked colossus just to see how he plays with the intention of changing to another character later until I know who I like. Do I really have to create a new account to select a new free character or am I missing something?

Lord Phol

Started playing this for the first time last night, picked colossus just to see how he plays with the intention of changing to another character later until I know who I like. Do I really have to create a new account to select a new free character or am I missing something?

You have to create a new account, but if you want to try heroes out i would recommend the test server. You can level every hero to 60 and try out all their powers easily with just the press of a mouseclick. Though that could ruin the leveling experience for those heroes when you actually get them live.

inky

You are not missing anything. You only get one starter out of the initial choice, and you can get more characters through real money purchases or in-game currency drops called eternity splinters.

The Test Center (like Lord Phol mentions) is a way to try characters before you commit to them. It is a separate client download, and obviously intended for testing purposes, so it is not always up and your progress won't carry over to the main client, but it is nonetheless a good way to try out different characters.

Rhaknar

Colossus is also a starter now? damn. can someone list all the starters these days?

Rhaknar

oh they gave Scarlet one of those "im walking and blowing shit up lol" aura things (like cable has for example), I dont remember her having that when I played her on release

The Test Center (like Lord Phol mentions) is a way to try characters before you commit to them. It is a separate client download, and obviously intended for testing purposes, so it is not always up and your progress won't carry over to the main client, but it is nonetheless a good way to try out different characters.

I'll do some checking myself, but can anybody download the test center client? EDIT: Found the download. They don't make it entirely easy, but I may give it a go.

Also, I was thinking of asking for a superteam invite. Here's my disclaimer: I don't get to play very often, maybe 1-2 hours a night, and that is usually after 11 pm PST. If that's cool, my screen name in game is Tonner. Thanks!

inky

Yes, everyone can download it. There is a link in the OP.

As long as you are an active GAF user you are welcome to join the MH group. If you are playing tonight I can hop in and invite you.

I finally got Gambit into the mid level 40's and Im liking him quite a bit.
The power that allows him to smash his staff on the ground to create a massive shock wave is really nice. It looks cool, does good damage and is a good AOE power.
I wish Gambits melee had some nice beefy sound effects, for when you crack people over the head with his staff. The animations are cool but without the sound, it lacks "oompf".
Having to manually trigger his resurrection ability seems completely dumb and is very inconvenient, but I think Gaz will fix it, in time.
Also, I found his unique coat tonight and its really nice (sometimes unique items really disappoint). It has spirit, health regen, durability, +1 to all powers and a few other bits and pieces. Very nice :)

Didn't even think to look at the OP. Thanks for the info.

I can hop on around 5:00 when I get home from work. After that is more of a crapshoot. If I do get on later, it will be after 11 when my wife goes to sleep.

Top Bottom