• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

How good is this game?

Well it's F2P, so you can always try it heh. Personally, I'm really enjoying it a lot. :)
The developers consistently add new content to look forward to, and are also very receptive of ideas from their community.

And is the F2P model any good?

In my opinion, yes.
A lot of people are saying that the prices for heroes/costumes are exorbitant, but you can acquire every hero for free quite easily just by playing, as the currency used to buy them (Eternity Splinters) drops like candy, and the heroes' splinter price is usually dependant on the hero's complexity rather than popularity.
Costumes are harder to get, but it seems like that's their main source of income aside from item stash tabs and purchasable consumables like XP Boosts or stuff like that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How good is this game? And is the F2P model any good? Interested because of Diablo elements mainly.

game is a solid D2-era ARPG. F2P is basically costumes, stash (bank tabs past your first free one), and "fast tracks" (exp boosts, item find boosts, buying characters for cash, etc). I guess costumes are technically fast track also, but I believe they are among the rarest drops in the game. No pay to win. No gameplay behind paywalls. Really no gameplay content that either isn't there from the start or can't be earned through play.

so really the only gameplay to "earn" are characters.. and they are at a rate of roughly

17.5 hours for random (can get repeats which you then use to level their ultimate power..... which have been 2/3 of my drops)
20 hours for $4.50 characters (a handful)
40 hours for $9 characters (most of them)
60 hours for $13.50 characters (Deadpool, Iron Man, Spider-Man and Ghost Rider)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Finally broke my spell of indecision and got Gambit with my splinters. Digging him a lot so far, his power vfx are really nice. And he's a hybrid like Ms Marvel which is right up my alley. Only level 16 atm, but so far so good. Only thing I hate: his lines and voice acting. They're both terrible. Good thing the As Death enhanced costume is gonna come with my advance pack dx.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well it's F2P, so you can always try it heh. Personally, I'm really enjoying it a lot. :)
The developers consistently add new content to look forward to, and are also very receptive of ideas from their community.

In my opinion, yes.
A lot of people are saying that the prices for heroes/costumes are exorbitant, but you can acquire every hero for free quite easily just by playing, as the currency used to buy them (Eternity Splinters) drops like candy, and the heroes' splinter price is usually dependant on the hero's complexity rather than popularity.
Costumes are harder to get, but it seems like that's their main source of income aside from item stash tabs and purchasable consumables like XP Boosts or stuff like that.

the bolded is not true at all in my opinion. Taking a peak at my hours played since coming back and buying Emma (with real money), I had 136 hours before when I played on release, now I have 158.

Thats 20 hours give or take of lvling Emma from 1 to 43, and I still havent gotten enough splinters for even a random hero, which might be a repeat for all I know. Im sorry but to me thats not dropping like candy, especially for someone coming in fresh like the dude asking if the game is good would be.

Dont get me wrong, I think the model is actually good now, but either random boxes shouldnt be able to drop repeats (which would be ideal, as you would still need to sink A LOT of time in the game if you wanted the full roster, or at least the ones that you want, but at least you would get SOMETHING every 20 hours or so), or the price of the heroes needs to drop a lot, because 600 splinters, going by the rate I got my 163 at least (actually I had 13 from the conversion, so make that 150ish) would take about 50-60 hours.

Im sure people with 1000 hours in the game like ive read feel like splinters drop a lot, but for someone coming in fresh, or people that like to play other stuff for example, they really dont. Hell, like i said, I have almost 200 horus in it, that is a lot of time for 1 game.

Of course thats just my personal opinion.

inky

It's not ideal for sure. I still think the game is worth playing, and even supporting.

There's plenty of things to be disliked, and very few that I outright hate, but it is mostly a positive experience, even for free. One that I would recommend.

@Rhaknar
I have around 150 hours myself, and I've gotten almost 600 splinters. I haven't gotten splinters for finishing Doom, either, since I played before they introduced that mechanic.

Granted, I also tend to play a lot during their rarity booster weekends, and also use the rarity boosts I get from the quests and fortune cards, but I feel like they are dropping like candy, to me. Especially in Midtown.

Ploid 3.0

I have 280 hours a and I'm not always playing when it's running, I collected around 957 splinters. 5 random character boxes and 82 current splinters. I never got a 10 at once group to drop but I did get the 10 splinters gifts. So however many of those they gave subtract. They are said to drop at 1 per 8 minutes at the minimum.

I actually like the rate since it seem steady. They drop like clockwork.

Yoday

I think the F2P model is pretty good. I love that they don't lock any content behind a pay wall, If you are set on playing specific characters, then yes, playing without paying for any characters is going to be a challenge. If there is a specific hero that you absolutely must play as to enjoy the game, then I would recommend playing your starter hero for a few hours to see if you enjoy the game, and then just dropping the money on the character you are after. The vast majority of characters are $9 or $4, and that is an absolute steal for the amount of enjoyment and hours of gameplay you are going to get out of the game. If you are more open to which heroes you play as, then you could get a whole lot of time out of the game without dropping any money by playing as your starter hero, and any heroes you get from random boxes.

Basically, the more hardcore of a Marvel fan you are, the more you are going to have to spend in order to get the most enjoyment out of the game. You'll have to buy the characters you absolutely must play as, and you'll have to buy the costumes that you absolutely must have. However, if you are that kind of player and Marvel fan, then Gaz put together bundles that are a pretty damn good deal for their hardcore players.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's not ideal for sure. I still think the game is worth playing, and even supporting.

There's plenty of things to be disliked, and very few that I outright hate, but it is mostly a positive experience, even for free. One that I would recommend.

Oh it's deffinately worth playing, I love it. Just don't think we should give out the wrong idea that you will be swimming in heroes in no time, because it's not true :)

I wasn't trying to imply one would be "swimming in heroes", but I was trying to say that getting new characters without paying up isn't difficult.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the bolded is not true at all in my opinion. Taking a peak at my hours played since coming back and buying Emma (with real money), I had 136 hours before when I played on release, now I have 158.

Thats 20 hours give or take of lvling Emma from 1 to 43, and I still havent gotten enough splinters for even a random hero, which might be a repeat for all I know. Im sorry but to me thats not dropping like candy, especially for someone coming in fresh like the dude asking if the game is good would be.

Dont get me wrong, I think the model is actually good now, but either random boxes shouldnt be able to drop repeats (which would be ideal, as you would still need to sink A LOT of time in the game if you wanted the full roster, or at least the ones that you want, but at least you would get SOMETHING every 20 hours or so), or the price of the heroes needs to drop a lot, because 600 splinters, going by the rate I got my 163 at least (actually I had 13 from the conversion, so make that 150ish) would take about 50-60 hours.

Im sure people with 1000 hours in the game like ive read feel like splinters drop a lot, but for someone coming in fresh, or people that like to play other stuff for example, they really dont. Hell, like i said, I have almost 200 horus in it, that is a lot of time for 1 game.

The devs' stated drop rate for splinters (from doomsaw himself) is around 7-10 splinters an hour. This is also what I see personally (81 hours in so far). At that rate it's like I stated above.

Now if all you're saying is that a single mid-tier character at 40 hours played isn't "dropping like candy", then yeah.. of course. However with a single play through your starter character to 60, in my estimation you should be able to buy any character with splinters. If it's a brnad new account today and you pick a 200ES starter, then you'll definitely be able to buy any character.

As for ALL characters? Oh god... without going random, just for the 4 top tier characters alone you are looking at 240 hours /played. That's not even counting the other 24 characters or the fact that news ones are coming out nearly monthly.

Still, it is reaonsable to say that you can get any character you want within 20-60 hours, or can random it under 20 hours.

Vecks

It definitely takes some time, but obviously it'll feel longer if there's a character you really want and you're saving up splinters for it. So... for newcomers, indeed it'll feel slow.

But for people like me, the drop rate doesn't seem bad anymore because I'm not really saving them up for anything. I've already acquired half the roster (about 350 hours of game time since the splinter patch) through random boxes. Now, I just roll random boxes for fun.

Yoday

I just beat Loki for the first time tonight. I was level 27 when I took him down, and it was a pretty fun fight. There were a few times that I dropped to around 40% health or so, but otherwise it was a pretty easy fight. I look forward to eventually trying it on Heroic though, as I'm sure it will be much more challenging.

Rhaknar

Nice the advance pack price in euros does NOT use the usual $=€ most places use. Really considering it, even if I don't play the game non stop (which I won't) I can totally see myself coming back for a couple of weeks every month and lvling most of the characters in the pack. Also I just realized it comes with bank tabs for all 12 of the characters, and I need bank tabs BAD

Also, the pack almost seems made for me character wise. I favor ranged "flashy" characters so Magneto and Strange are perfect. I also favor "pet classes" which I predict Starlord will be (much like Rocket). Then, there's the fact I've been wanting to play a brute type like Hulk or Thing, so Juggernaut is perfect.

Add to that that I was always A) a x-men fanboy and B) a venom fanboy when I was a kid, Nightcrawler, Psylocke and Venom are at the very least interesting.

The only ones I don't really care about is Sue, Surfer and Moon Knight, and Surfer could at least be interesting mechanics wise. And there's still the 2 unannounced.

Yoday

Yeah, it is a good deal for anyone that plans on playing throughout the year. I doubt I will play non-stop or anything, but I do see myself playing in bursts throughout the year, and having this pack would mean that there is a new character to try out every month. While it may be spendy, it is the best form of a season pass I have seen.

Rhaknar

2 quick questions: Hulk and Thing are still the only 2 characters with a "jump down and crash down" move correct? I want to play either just for that move >_<

And second, I heard Colossus now has Magik as a "pet" but is it a permanent pet like Groot for rocket or Emma's mind control?

Wallach

Quite a few heroes have "crash down" style moves actually.

Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, Ghost Rider, Thing, Hulk, Thor... maybe one other I am forgetting.

Yoday

Wolverine has a leap into battle ability as well, it just doesn't have an impact like the others do. Also, Ms. Marvel is a complete beast. Her frontal cone wave attack is crazy awesome. She is my main character at the moment, and I just had to drop the coin for her new Captain Marvel costume.

Rhaknar

Ill see what the random gods have in store for me later, might buy Thing since he's cheap (450G I think?) to get my stomping around fix

KePoW

Banned
Ill see what the random gods have in store for me later, might buy Thing since he's cheap (450G I think?) to get my stomping around fix

Just my personal opinion, but out of Wallach's list above, Thing would be my last choice (I have all the characters)

Rhaknar

Just my personal opinion, but out of Wallach's list above, Thing would be my last choice (I have all the characters)

Well first I'll see what the splinters give me, and I'm probably buying the advance pack, so I don't want to spend too much on another hero right now

Btw no one knows about my Colossus / Magik question?

Well first I'll see what the splinters give me, and I'm probably buying the advance pack, so I don't want to spend too much on another hero right now

Btw no one knows about my Colossus / Magik question?

Not permanent. Colossus has Magik and Wolverine as short duration summons.

Rhaknar

Short duration :(

Thanks Frost
for crushing my hopes and dreams :(

Vecks

Short duration :(

Thanks Frost
for crushing my hopes and dreams :(

Yeah, Colossus's summons are shorter than most, but it has other benefits compared to some other summons. They have auras that buff Colossus, and when you summon them, they come out as an attack. Wolvie summon gives extra crit, and Magik heals you when she hits. Both summons last 25 seconds normally, with a 45 second cooldown. Since I play my Colo as a summoner, I use summon duration gear (wundergore/adv wunder/mr. sinister), and they last about 35-40 seconds. So they're usually just gone for a few seconds before I summon them again.

Rhaknar

Yeah, Colossus's summons are shorter than most, but it has other benefits compared to some other summons. They have auras that buff Colossus, and when you summon them, they come out as an attack. Wolvie summon gives extra crit, and Magik heals you when she hits. Both summons last 25 seconds normally, with a 45 second cooldown. Since I play my Colo as a summoner, I use summon duration gear (wundergore/adv wunder/mr. sinister), and they last about 35-40 seconds. So they're usually just gone for a few seconds before I summon them again.

Now I'm excited again. I saved a artifact that I got on Emma that buffs minion duration too

Edit: vecks, we are crossing streams a lot between here and the steam thread, I need to add you on steam, if only to message you "noooo a hawkeye repeat" when I open boxes >_>

Yoday

Interesting. Someone in the official forum logged into TC and got a free MKIII fortune card. Doomsaw had the following to say:

I believe Mark 3 forward cards will be the daily gift for this weekend and the store team is cooking up something creative.

They have started making plans for 1-2 fun events per month.

I'm not sure if this means it will be for this weekend on live servers or not.

Interesting. Someone in the official forum logged into TC and got a free MKIII fortune card. Doomsaw had the following to say:

I'm not sure if this means it will be for this weekend on live servers or not.

It's live now.

On a similar note, Doomsaw said that each new Fortune Card set will have an insurance policy item. The way it's worded, sadly, probably means we'll have a different quartz for each one.

Rhaknar

I really hope you get Hawkeye.

why :(

just did the fire and ice pvp thing just to complete the quest... suprisingly fun. didnt expect it to be dota-esque. and I won so yay

1 splinter to go until random o_O will post results

edit: welp, wasnt a repeat... but it was one of the 4 I didnt want at all lol. Punisher (the others being Captain America, Black Widow, Daredevil). Oh well

edit 2: crushed by finding out you cant mind control the modok-spider thing in Midtown :(

its not a good day Gaf, I best buy the advance pack to cheer myself up :p

edit: welp, wasnt a repeat... but it was one of the 4 I didnt want at all lol. Punisher (the others being Captain America, Black Widow, Daredevil). Oh well

Punisher is my favorite male character. He has so many awesome looking powers (if you like guns) and satisfying ways to kill. His pistol with the scope is super sexy.

Lord Phol

Punisher is my favorite male character. He has so many awesome looking powers (if you like guns) and satisfying ways to kill. His pistol with the scope is super sexy.

I've only tried him out on TC but he was pretty fun and I really liked the pistol power. It seemed pretty crappy compared to the other powers though :x. Hope they bring some cool stuff with his rework!

I also favor "pet classes" which I predict Starlord will be (much like Rocket).

Doubtful. Star-Lord will likely mostly utilize his Element Gun (since Rocket is already the summoner of the Guardians). :)

The only ones I don't really care about is Sue, Surfer and Moon Knight, and Surfer could at least be interesting mechanics wise. And there's still the 2 unannounced.

Personally, I think Sue is gonna be REALLY interesting mechanics-wise. She not only has invisibility, but also force fields. Her powers are, at this point, very similar to Green Lantern's.

Rhaknar

Doubtful. Star-Lord will likely mostly utilize his Element Gun (since Rocket is already the summoner of the Guardians). :)

Personally, I think Sue is gonna be REALLY interesting mechanics-wise. She not only has invisibility, but also force fields. Her powers are, at this point, very similar to Green Lantern's.

I think Starlord will at least summon Gamora or Drax, even if its just a short duration thing like Colossus with Magik/Wolvie

And Sue is making energy constructs like Green Lanterns these days you say?

Lord Phol

That would be sweet! Hopefully I'll be able to play him like a "scfi-fi" soldier, just wrecking stuff up with his guns and tech tools.
I'm looking forward to him alot since I'm really into Cosmic Marvel and the Guardians of the Galaxy. He has some sick costumes as well :D.

I was in the same boat as Rhaknar with her, but then I read a bit about what she can do and watched some gameplay from Marvel Ultimate Alliance. If they can make her as fun as she looks like in that game, she will be really awesome to play.

Rhaknar

I hope you guys are happy, just bought the advance pack. now im going to sleep it off >_<

And Sue is making energy constructs like Green Lanterns these days you say?

Not energy, but constructs made of force fields. She doesn't make complex stuff like Green Lantern does, but she is capable of doing it, aside from the obvious shields. Basically, if she wanted to, she could wrap someone in a force bubble, or she could use her force fields to block off somebody's lungs from their body to make them asphyxiate.
Normally, though, she uses them to create force projectiles, or cage somebody in force fields.

Ploid 3.0

Free MK3 fortune cards when you log in this weekend.

Extra Strength Haste Potion and a Ruby Quartz for me ._.

Edit:
Oh it's one card a day, so there's still hope of something good for me.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I want the Punisher Noir costume sooooooooo bad.

Like holy shit. It's possibly my favorite in-game costume. give pls.

Just a 1-hour exp bar today though.

Rhaknar

Not energy, but constructs made of force fields. She doesn't make complex stuff like Green Lantern does, but she is capable of doing it, aside from the obvious shields. Basically, if she wanted to, she could wrap someone in a force bubble, or she could use her force fields to block off somebody's lungs from their body to make them asphyxiate.
Normally, though, she uses them to create force projectiles, or cage somebody in force fields.

whats awesome. I wonder why they are calling her Sue and not Invisible Woman

Vecks

Now I'm excited again. I saved a artifact that I got on Emma that buffs minion duration too

Edit: vecks, we are crossing streams a lot between here and the steam thread, I need to add you on steam, if only to message you "noooo a hawkeye repeat" when I open boxes >_>

The link to my steam profile is in my profile. But I see that you already got the Punisher :)

*opens fortune card* :( Party in a box. I hate party in a box.

I want the Punisher Noir costume sooooooooo bad.

Like holy shit. It's possibly my favorite in-game costume. give pls.

Haha I know right. The Noir costumes are so awesome. If I had Punisher Noir, I'd actually pick him up again. Luke Cage's is awesome too.

I imagine it's just to make it shorter. Invisible Woman is a pretty long name, Sue (Storm) rolls off the tongue much easier.

Rhaknar

noooooooooooooooooooo Emma unique but its not the Cyke thing, its just some gloves :(

KePoW

Banned

You will learn to love the HAWKEYE!

I was in the same boat as Rhaknar with her, but then I read a bit about what she can do and watched some gameplay from Marvel Ultimate Alliance. If they can make her as fun as she looks like in that game, she will be really awesome to play.

I believe Sue is actually considered one of the most powerful people on Marvel Earth, at least potential power-wise.

Sue Storm sounds a lot better than Invisible Woman, lol

Top Bottom