• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Vecks

Do a lot of gaffers play together at all? How hard is it to unlock new characters? I want to play as cable but not pay fees to unlock him.

Edit: I also downloaded it off of the marvel site... Any benefit to downloading from steam instead?

I like to group up, but people mostly solo. Unlocking characters needs a currency called eternity splinters. On average, 1 splinter drops every 5 minutes. Based on that average, it can take about 30 hours of play to specifically buy one hero, half that to buy a random unlock. So... choose your starter hero wisely :p

The only benefits of steam are the steam benefits: steam community stuff, steam servers for downloading updates, using steam wallet to fund cash shop, etc.

I like to group up, but people mostly solo. Unlocking characters needs a currency called eternity splinters. On average, 1 splinter drops every 5 minutes. Based on that average, it can take about 30 hours of play to specifically buy one hero, half that to buy a random unlock. So... choose your starter hero wisely :p

The only benefits of steam are the steam benefits: steam community stuff, steam servers for downloading updates, using steam wallet to fund cash shop, etc.

Steam chat is enabled when adding as a third party program right? I don't think the rest really matters to me. Do people have any preference of what starter to use? I was thinking colossus...

LuuKyK

Steam chat is enabled when adding as a third party program right? I don't think the rest really matters to me. Do people have any preference of what starter to use? I was thinking colossus...

I am biased, but I would say Storm. She has some amazing aoe abilities.

No but really, just choose the character you like the most.

Quick question too, I've been invited to a few parties now in Midtown; When you're in a party, are RIF/SIF shared among the group, and/or do you get additional bonuses for being in a group?

I only ask because I was in a group with a couple of peeps obviously geared a lot better than me by the way they were taking everything down, and within the span of probably 5 minutes, I had a Cosmic and a Unique drop. They were the only good items I saw all weekend. Coincidence? Or is it possible the group was rocking some serious SIF/RIF find?

I am biased, but I would say Storm. She has some amazing aoe abilities.

No but really, just choose the character you like the most.

I was actually thinking storm before but thought maybe colossus since I never gave him a chance and I've been enjoying him in the comics lately.

Vecks

From the starters I only have Storm, Colossus, Black Panther, and Hawkeye. As of now, I'd say I like Colossus and Hawkeye the best of that bunch. But everyone would probably have a different choice.

In Diablo I've always tried to play necromancer/sorcerer. Spells were always my favorite.

If you want to do summon-heavy, go with Luke Cage - he's a melee DPS with summoned partners. He's more of a hybrid though (imagine Druid with werebeast/summon build), the true pet characters are Squirrel Girl, Rocket Raccoon and Emma Frost, neither of which are starters.

If you want spells (Sorceress in Diablo), Storm or Human Torch are the way to go. Personally, I really enjoy playing Torch. I haven't played Storm since Beta though (which is... a long time ago haha), so I don't know how different she's from her Beta version.

A good reason to always accept invites in midtown is because people are spread all over the map killing random mobs which count for your legendary quest even if you are far away

Also if they get to a boss wave earlier than you, you can warp to them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A good reason to always accept invites in midtown is because people are spread all over the map killing random mobs which count for your legendary quest even if you are far away

I'm always getting saddled with b.s. story legendary quests. I just want to run around midtown blowing stuff up.

I've only re-rolled that MGH Brutes quest once after I spent like an hour in Midtown without seeing one.

Ever since though, the MGH Brutes seem to spawn pretty regularly, and in packs of ten, so I'm guessing they changed something as I've had it a few times now and always been able to do it quickly.

Yeah, I have started rerolling the MGH quest as well. Like, whenever I get that one, I run around for a shitload of time looking for them (occasionally clearing other camps so they have a chance to spawn), but they just don't appear. Never have problem with the AIM part, those are pretty frequently found, but MGH Brutes seem really damn rare.

I rerolled one earlier today, and like literally the moment I rerolled it, I had 3 camps spawn MGHs a minute later. :p

LuuKyK

So I am not the only one who hates the MGH legendary hahah. But I found they spawn a lot in a certain part of town so I always go there when I get it.

So I am not the only one who hates the MGH legendary hahah. But I found they spawn a lot in a certain part of town so I always go there when I get it.

I've memorized all the places they tend to spawn in, but they're never there. :p

I really think that Midtown legendary needs to be revamped.

LuuKyK

Finally hit 200 splinters. Felt like forever. Ugh. If only I'd held on buying so many random boxes in the past, who knows how many I would have today. Oh well. >_>

Anyone wanna bet how many splinters will Strange, Invisible Woman and Psylocke cost? Any chance of any of them being 200? No right? Probably 400 each. Dammit. Choices choices...

I've memorized all the places they tend to spawn in, but they're never there. :p

I really think that Midtown legendary needs to be revamped.

Agreed.

Finally hit 200 splinters. Felt like forever. Ugh. If only I'd held on buying so many random boxes in the past, who knows how many I would have today. Oh well. >_>

Anyone wanna bet how many splinters will Strange, Invisible Woman and Psylocke cost? Any chance of any of them being 200? No right? Probably 400 each. Dammit. Choices choices...

Agreed.

At least...I could see Dr. Strange being 600 like Ghost Rider.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All the heroes in the advance pack are 400 I bet. Maybe some are 600, no way any is 200 in my opinion

LuuKyK

I swear to God, Gazillion Entertainment, don't you dare asking 600 fucking splinters for Psylocke. Or else...

I will have to pay real money for her. ;-;

All the heroes in the advance pack are 400 I bet. Maybe some are 600, no way any is 200 in my opinion

Yeah, pretty much what I expected. :/

I asked because I remember they mentioned some new heroes will be cheaper, like Beast, I think.

I find it funny that they outright said that. It basically implies that they are admitting that the hero will be kinda bad. Well not really BAD, but I mean, less impressive than the rest... I guess.

Gazillion already confirmed that every character in the Advance Pack is going to be 400 or more splinters to give the purchasers more bang for their buck (paraphrasing here).

We already know who the next two 200 splinter characters are going to be, and that's X-23 and Beast.

Also, 200 splinters doesn't mean a character is "worse". It means a character requires less resources to be created. Since Beast and X-23 don't have any flashy powers or require some sort of complex mechanic to work, they're gonna be cheaper.

LuuKyK

Gazillion already confirmed that every character in the Advance Pack is going to be 400 or more splinters to give the purchasers more bang for their buck (paraphrasing here).

We already know who the next two 200 splinter characters are going to be, and that's X-23 and Beast.

Also, 200 splinters doesn't mean a character is "worse". It means a character requires less resources to be created. Since Beast and X-23 don't have any flashy powers or require some sort of complex mechanic to work, they're gonna be cheaper.

Oh X-23 will be cheaper too? Didn't know that.

Makes sense I guess, she will basically be a female clone of Wolverine that uses more legs than arms I think. :p

Edit: Oh, I get their reasoning. I just find it funny thats all. I doubt any other company would admit that less effort = asking less money for the players. Its actually kinda surprising they are being this honest. Perks of living in a world where you are always inclined to believe that these video game companies are willing to screw you over everytime. :p

KePoW

Banned
It's finally done!

iMwYTHyPnZFuI.jpg

Every hero in the game at level 60 now, for a 200% Hero Synergy Bonus XP.

What a wild ride it's been!

KePoW

Banned
Grats. Which heroes did you enjoy playing the most?

Currently, the hero I find most *fun* (not necessarily most OP) is Luke Cage. I really love the feel of his powers.

After that would be Ms. Marvel

Then my next tier of fun-factor would be: Ghost Rider, Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man, Thor

(I'm being serious about Spider-Man, I think people whined way too much about the dodge change. I still find him very fun)

Rhaknar

Torch`s homing fireballs is awesome, are there other spells that work like it in the game? havent seen any. I wanna get lvl 20 and use my spirit relics so i can spam that all day long weeeeeeeee

sucks that all the big aoe spells are high level now with the review :(

edit: Spider-Man is also one of my favorites (granted I only have 11 60s not 29 :p)

KePoW

Banned
edit: Spider-Man is also one of my favorites (granted I only have 11 60s not 29 :p)

Yeah I have no idea what people are complaining about him for.

Ok so he can't dodge 100% of damage anymore all the time. So what, quite frankly that was imbalanced.

shock33

It's pretty depressing when you buy a pack of fortune cards and get no costumes or pets. I only want the spider ham symbiote to go with my spiderman!

Torch`s homing fireballs is awesome, are there other spells that work like it in the game? havent seen any. I wanna get lvl 20 and use my spirit relics so i can spam that all day long weeeeeeeee

I agree lol.
Cable had a homing shot back when he came out, I haven't played him since Beta, but he was the first one to have a homing missile, iirc.
Also I guess stuff like DD's rebounding club, Loki's bouncing bolt and Cap's bouncy shield power (forgot what it was called) is kinda like that.

Just started playing and this is stupidly addicting... Does everyone get their own drops in this game or do you have to rush to pick it up before someone else?

I haven't played everybody yet (though I'm getting there), so I can't talk about all characters, but I've now experienced most characters while leveling them to 25.

So far, my most favorite characters are Nightcrawler and Daredevil, followed by Loki, Hawkeye and Ghost Rider. Torch, Emma and Ms. Marvel are runner-ups.

My least favorite character so far is just Punisher. I really am not enjoying him at all. Runner-up for my least favorite is probably Deadpool - flavor reasons aside, I just can't get into him. :/

I haven't played Black Panther, Cable, Cap, Colossus, Cyclops, Iron Man, Jean, Spidey, Storm, Thing and Wolverine yet (though I have played Panther to 7, and during Beta played Cable, Cyclops, Iron Man, Jean and Storm), and neither have I played the more recent builds of Rocket Raccoon and Luke Cage.

Damn :/ I've pretty much given up on any guys like that until I get someone I like since that's not going to be quick. Colossus is pretty fun so far but if I get Cable I'm sure I'll enjoy that for a long time.

If you can resist doing random hero rolls, the splinters have a way of adding up as you play. Main advice to keep the splinters coming - don't overlevel and continue playing the story. If you want to do Midtown or X-Defense, go for it. But you'll probably gain a few levels at least fairly quickly and if you go back to the story mode splinters won't drop if you are over the suggested level limits.

If you can resist doing random hero rolls, the splinters have a way of adding up as you play. Main advice to keep the splinters coming - don't overlevel and continue playing the story. If you want to do Midtown or X-Defense, go for it. But you'll probably gain a few levels at least fairly quickly and if you go back to the story mode splinters won't drop if you are over the suggested level limits.

Ah, really? I think I've only done story? I think I'm in the prologue. I just finished my second mission which was in Hell's Kitchen and getting the tablet from Kingpin. I'm already level 8 though.

Rhaknar

Ah, really? I think I've only done story? I think I'm in the prologue. I just finished my second mission which was in Hell's Kitchen and getting the tablet from Kingpin. I'm already level 8 though.

thats chapter 1

Story mode usually goes by pretty quickly but you may have to level a bit if you are trying for a specific build (not spending all your points every time you get them). What I don't like is how quickly you go from normal to heroic to superheroic. It feels like I just finished the whole story in a couple of hours and now I have to play it again to get the permanent buffs.

Probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to copy over my installation from one computer to another? I really don't want to download 13 gigs again... I don't know if it self cleans up though and deletes the install data.

Story mode usually goes by pretty quickly but you may have to level a bit if you are trying for a specific build (not spending all your points every time you get them). What I don't like is how quickly you go from normal to heroic to superheroic. It feels like I just finished the whole story in a couple of hours and now I have to play it again to get the permanent buffs.

You don't NEED those permanent bonuses. I have 8 level 60 and only one has completed the stories on all 3 difficulties. I have done no story quests outside where LQs send me since before splinters were added. The bonuses are not needed at all. I only plan to go back and get them for characters I will raid with.

I can understand OCD leading down the path to getting them all on every character. You shouldn't feel the need to drag yourself through the story more than once. There's plenty more in the game that is way more engaging.

Vecks

Probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to copy over my installation from one computer to another? I really don't want to download 13 gigs again... I don't know if it self cleans up though and deletes the install data.

I'm not familiar with the MH client (steam user), but I'd imagine it should be possible to just copy and paste the old folder after running the installer once.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing the story quests with anybody but the characters I truly want to do more with at max level. :)

Also, I started up Cyclops. At first, I really hated him because even trash mobs were incredibly dangerous if they came in hordes (like they usually do), but then I unlocked the ricocheting basic beam, and suddenly he turned really fun.

KePoW

Banned
You don't NEED those permanent bonuses. I have 8 level 60 and only one has completed the stories on all 3 difficulties. I have done no story quests outside where LQs send me since before splinters were added. The bonuses are not needed at all. I only plan to go back and get them for characters I will raid with.

I can understand OCD leading down the path to getting them all on every character. You shouldn't feel the need to drag yourself through the story more than once. There's plenty more in the game that is way more engaging.

Agreed. On my path to getting every hero in the game to 60, I stopped caring about the story quest rewards after maybe my 6th or 7th character.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing the story quests with anybody but the characters I truly want to do more with at max level. :)

I do recommend doing the story missions just to get the bonuses they offer. There are a few power points that are the most important but you also get health & spirit bonuses, a ret-con device, and a couple of useful-ish artifacts for lower level characters. Yes, it is a bit of a chore, but for me the benefits outweigh that.

KePoW

Banned
Also, I started up Cyclops. At first, I really hated him because even trash mobs were incredibly dangerous if they came in hordes (like they usually do), but then I unlocked the ricocheting basic beam, and suddenly he turned really fun.

That's until you realize Ricochet is the only power you end up using, then Cyclops becomes kinda un-fun again =P

Top Bottom