• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Blank!

Trask Helm dropped for me. Can't decide on giving it to Rocket or Squirrel Girl (or loki, but I'm not playing him as summoner). Rocket's slot 5 seems pretty good vrs Squirrel Girl's who has a 'meh' one... but it's also a primo slot to get +skills from a cosmic which I think she'd need. Decisions decisions...

Vecks

You can bind skills to F1-6 (which all only use your right click slot), so with characters that have an aura/toggle, you can just throw them on some of those keys which keeps the rest of your bars open.

I wish you could put artifacts on those F keys. Well, regardless... the devs have mentioned that they will be allowing users to add new hotkeys in the future.

Trask Helm dropped for me. Can't decide on giving it to Rocket or Squirrel Girl (or loki, but I'm not playing him as summoner). Rocket's slot 5 seems pretty good vrs Squirrel Girl's who has a 'meh' one... but it's also a primo slot to get +skills from a cosmic which I think she'd need. Decisions decisions...

I got that and gave it to Panther, but I hated the Sentinel it kept summoning, because I would instinctively try to target it (I spend 90% on my time in Midtown). I eventually chucked it back in my stash.
Summons are only good for distraction purposes anyway. Their damage output is poor and they aren't much fun to "use" (other than some looking really cool).

DrBo42

Man... Moonknight is pretty terrible. Not sure if his TTK time gets better in the endgame but I don't think it would matter even if it was great. What a horribly boring character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can bind skills to F1-6 (which all only use your right click slot), so with characters that have an aura/toggle, you can just throw them on some of those keys which keeps the rest of your bars open.

You don't use the Function Keys?

Ah yes, I thought you meant the actual F key :) I've only had to use the function keys once, I forget on who, and I did indeed put an aura in it. I'm just not used to using them and I'll most likely forget most of the time. Another reason why auras shouldn't "turn off" when in hubs and shit :(

But yeah I guess that's the only way, maybe I'll put all the auras of characters in the function key so I get used to doing it

edit: do you guys donate to the weapon/armor vendors? after getting my crafter and enchanter to 20 Ive just been selling all my items (truthfully at first it was because I was low on credits from all the costume making). Ive been saving the eent items for some future new vendor, but now im wondering if its even worth lvling up the gear vendors?

Lord Phol

Ah yes, I thought you meant the actual F key :) I've only had to use the function keys once, I forget on who, and I did indeed put an aura in it. I'm just not used to using them and I'll most likely forget most of the time. Another reason why auras shouldn't "turn off" when in hubs and shit :(

But yeah I guess that's the only way, maybe I'll put all the auras of characters in the function key so I get used to doing it

edit: do you guys donate to the weapon/armor vendors? after getting my crafter and enchanter to 20 Ive just been selling all my items (truthfully at first it was because I was low on credits from all the costume making). Ive been saving the eent items for some future new vendor, but now im wondering if its even worth lvling up the gear vendors?

Yeah, leveling up the weapon vendors increases the chance that they might sell you an artifact randomly, and leveling up the armor vendord to 15+ makes enchanting recipes start appearing in their inventory.

KePoW

Banned

Yes, you need to max out both the Weapon & Gear vendors

Blank!

Gear Vendor level 15+ will sell the recipe to enchant gear with Wealth (+20 credits) and Joy (+5% rarity). Joy one is pretty worthless IMO but the wealth one will pay for itself and more in the long run.

Weapon vendor will randomly sell artifacts. It's offered me a pym growth, darkhold scroll, and adv kung fu. The rate is VERY low, but it just might sell a pym shrink one day....

Are you shitting me? I would have picked storm then. :/

I don't get this because I picked Captain America recently on a new account and got 100 splinters for beating the Prologue.

Are you 100% sure you cleared all the quests there Zaraki and turned them in?
If I remember right the quest is the one where you beat Green Goblin and you turn it into the shield lady (Mariah Hill?) right in the center of Avenger's Tower.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I did not know that Storm`s ice wind aura...thing was on all the time like Jean, I thought it was just a normal aoe spell. And just like Jean, its a ton of fun (lazy, sure, but fun). Any other hero has this or its those 2?

Gothos

I FUCKING LOVE MY DAREDEVIL!!! He's a BEAST now and I still lack some gear, mostly lvl 60 uniques. He's so much fun and rewards good tactics and smart play. Street Sweeper + his Signature + Rebounding Club + moving in/away to get combo points, rolling around to get good position against enemies, all of this is so satisfying and if you play well you will wreck mobs. I solo Cosmic Term. without problems but I can still die if I calcualte cooldowns/combos badly or simply do something stupid which completely fine. Fantastic job with his review, Gaz, simply fantastic :D

Oh and Eidolon Warwear on DD is amazing, completely forgot I got it in stash.

Funny thing, though. First I read about this unique being good for him on MH forum, then I check my inventory and lo and behold - I got it! But it's level 37 :< so I'm going to MM to get crafting mats to upgrade it to lvl60 and on the first pack Symbiote Infestation unique drops, hahahaha. Crazy string of events that led one thing to another :D

I did not know that Storm`s ice wind aura...thing was on all the time like Jean, I thought it was just a normal aoe spell. And just like Jean, its a ton of fun (lazy, sure, but fun). Any other hero has this or its those 2?

I know Scarlet Witch at least used to have a destructive aura. Not sure about now.
I never use powers that constantly leave too much stuff on screen. I like things to look "tidy".

I saved 100 cube shards and bought 9 Mark 1 FC's (that was all that was in stock).
This is what I got...

jeB9jWVjjoxaa.jpg

Yes, a costume! :)
A pretty good one too. I now have 5 Ironman costumes and I got them all for free (still spent $90 on this game so far).

1. Default outfit
2. Clunky silver vintage costume (costume blender)
3. Heartbreaker (free Gaz promotion)
4. Mark II sexy silver outfit (random buy 1 get 1 free)
5. Stealth outfit (Fortune Card)

Got the cow recipe too. lol. I remember wanting this sooo bad, back when the game was more social for me and I was doing Supergroup stuff regularly.
It took me over 1000 hours to finally get the recipe for the first time, and I've never even used it :/

inky

I use them all the time, even if I have a spot left in the regular bar:

F1: RMB spirit spender
F2: Aura/Recharge/Smash Down Ability
F3: CC Breaker
F4: Fly

I find them essential to my rotation and pretty intuitive, but I guess it also has to do with my keyboard which has all the keys pretty close together.

Rhaknar

I use them all the time, even if I have a spot left in the regular bar:

F1: RMB spirit spender
F2: Aura/Recharge/Smash Down Ability
F3: CC Breaker
F4: Fly

I find them essential to my rotation and pretty intuitive, but I guess it also has to do with my keyboard which has all the keys pretty close together.

my F keys are miles from the rest sigh :(

Storm is fun, in a Jean "lol im just flying here and shit is dying" way. almost done with normal on her, might try Moon Knight then, see why everyone besides Noray thinks hes a big pile of poo

edit: lvl 12 on MK, going with melee (for now at least) and...err...theres not much going on here :/ the rebounding aoe is great as all bouncing spells in the game are, but besides that, he...punches stuff I guess? the big gift mechanic seems shit to be honest (I went with the spirit one), but if you dont put points in it, whats the point of the character? Maybe some of the later spells are better (although from the descriptions I doubt it), but so far Im not really feeling him (like most people aparently). Maybe his ranged stuff his better. He also seems to have a severe lack of aoe abilities, which sucks.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like it would just lead to a lot of pressing 1>2>3 over and over, thus not really solving the problem. It's just kind of inherent to an ARPG, and I agree that it's not the best representation of the characters from a lore perspective for those reasons. Signatures did a lot for me, I enjoy characters with a good signature, like Iron Man or Moon Knight, more than others because it really feels like that "big guns" moment. But putting all the good moves behind cooldowns isn't a great solution either, obviously. Much as I hate this phrase, it just kind of is what it is. It's not perfect, and some characters are better than others in terms of feeling like their movie/comic counterparts, but that's the genre, for the most part.

Speaking of Moon Knight, I'm loving him. It's weird, he's basically Daredevil without the combo system, but I like him so much better (in part because I hate DD's combo system). There's just something cool about him. He's really tough too, as in hard to kill, and hits pretty damn hard. Play him hybrid, is my advice. I also really like the Avatar ability, usually these kinds of buffs feel clunky, but I like how this one works. I use a Ringed Ruby (3 sec invuln) on my hotbar and pop it right when Avatar wears off so I don't get 1shot, and then pop a medkit with 25% costume core, and I'm right back in it without ever leaving the fight. Feels good.

Rhaknar

For what it's worth, Daredevil got significantly buffed with the last patch.

I already loved him, haven't tried the buffs yet tho. I did notice I had a free respec

Little did I know how awesome Emma's melee attacks were. All this time I thought she was mainly mental ranged powers and minion-related stuff but her Diamond tree... that Whirlwind is so insanely fun. Then the spin kick. Then the super fast dash, probably the fastest dash I've used so far (I own about 15 heroes). She's lvl 27 now and I'm having a blast. How come I never see lvl 60 Emma's whirling around the screen? or even the spin kick.

Rhaknar

Little did I know how awesome Emma's melee attacks were. All this time I thought she was mainly mental ranged powers and minion-related stuff but her Diamond tree... that Whirlwind is so insanely fun. Then the spin kick. Then the super fast dash, probably the fastest dash I've used so far (I own about 15 heroes). She's lvl 27 now and I'm having a blast. How come I never see lvl 60 Emma's whirling around the screen? or even the spin kick.

because theres 350 melee heroes and only 2 telepaths in the game, 1 of them 99% of the people use as if she was human torch?

also, you use her dash as ranged anyway, and yes, its fast and awesome

I'm up to 40 splinters! 1/10th of the way done!!!!

If you're not that high lvl on Colossus, just make a new account. Since you've only got 40 splinters and only one hero this shouldn't be a big deal. You'll lose about 4-5 hours of time. It's up to you...

because theres 350 melee heroes and only 2 telepaths in the game, 1 of them 99% of the people use as if she was human torch?

also, you use her dash as ranged anyway, and yes, its fast and awesome
I still have a minion tho, and also use a couple of her mental powers (the DoT ones and the life steal one). I'm only level 27 too so there's still plenty to unlock. I think I can hybrid her.

KePoW

Banned

Her Diamond tree has always been good. I think most people don't use it because you don't get to see her skin and awesome costumes.

That's definitely my reason.

Rhaknar

Moon Knight has dat ass when he`s gliding in the air I have to admit

Moon knight was the character that brought me back in. I played Ms Marvel near launch and haven't played since. Is it just me or is Moon Knight way over powered or have they made the early game a lot easier? I remember the subway was murder during my first play through.

Vecks

Moon knight was the character that brought me back in. I played Ms Marvel near launch and haven't played since. Is it just me or is Moon Knight way over powered or have they made the early game a lot easier? I remember the subway was murder during my first play through.

I don't think they've changed much in that regard. I don't remember early game ever being hard at all. And I've been playing since closed beta.

KePoW

Banned

The game is pretty easy in general. I don't really recall the differences in difficulty from launch though.

Toppot

I've been playing as Spider-Man for the past few days, I've gotten up to Chapter 6 on Super Heroic difficulty without much trouble. I'm at level 52 and I am getting my ass handed to me badly now. My basic stats are: Defence 5754 Damage 282. Which seems very low, especially on damage, my Level 60 Captain America has 12700 Defence and 1713 Damage for example.

I must be doing something wrong, right?

My Powers and Loadout for reference.

EDIT: Think the issue was a weak Cosmic Webshooter I'd been hanging on to for too long xD

DrBo42

Seems like it would just lead to a lot of pressing 1>2>3 over and over, thus not really solving the problem. It's just kind of inherent to an ARPG, and I agree that it's not the best representation of the characters from a lore perspective for those reasons. Signatures did a lot for me, I enjoy characters with a good signature, like Iron Man or Moon Knight, more than others because it really feels like that "big guns" moment. But putting all the good moves behind cooldowns isn't a great solution either, obviously. Much as I hate this phrase, it just kind of is what it is. It's not perfect, and some characters are better than others in terms of feeling like their movie/comic counterparts, but that's the genre, for the most part.

To be clear the abilities in the combo chain would not be locked to a cooldown. The abilities can continue to be used and used again for a different combination but the combo you just used would have a cooldown before that specific output/augmentation can be used again. And that's even if that sort of balancing was needed. The whole point is to let you play your character however you want without having to rotate between 1-2 skills.

Rhaknar

To be clear the abilities in the combo chain would not be locked to a cooldown. The abilities can continue to be used and used again for a different combination but the combo you just used would have a cooldown before that specific output/augmentation can be used again. And that's even if that sort of balancing was needed. The whole point is to let you play your character however you want without having to rotate between 1-2 skills.

isnt that exactly how the game is now? everyone here has different builds and spells they use... I dont understand what youre getting at to be honest. This isnt wow (unless it is and Ive missed it)

anyway, got MK to 32, finished normal etc. His signature is of course, awesome, but Im still not really feeling him. So far its 2 for 2 on the "meh" factor for the advance pack (I dont mean I regret buying it, I would have bought the heroes anyway), as I felt the exact same way with Nightcrawler (and also left him at 32 to be continued...some day)

DrBo42

isnt that exactly how the game is now? everyone here has different builds and spells they use... I dont understand what youre getting at to be honest. This isnt wow (unless it is and Ive missed it)

The way it is now there's maybe 2 optimal builds per hero. Within those builds there's maybe 3 offensive skills worth putting points into (usually 2). The aim of what I'm thinking of is to open all offensive abilities to the player for a more dynamic playstyle without taking a gigantic hit to TTK. You take the weaker skills that no one has in rotation and use them in succession/mix and match for different results and TTK gain.

DrBo42

In other news, I'm in desperate need for a durability & 25% health/spirit medkit Vibranium Ore for my Cap. If anyone finds one or has a spare please let me know.

Rhaknar

Franken-castle isnt a enhanced costume...thats weird then, to have normal punisher lines coming from it. then again I never read punisher comics when he was franken castle so I dont know how he acted.

Cant decide on buying it or not, it looks kinda cool, but weird at the same time. My punisher is naked atm so I do need a costume for him (well, "need"). Same for Ironman, wish marvel now was the one on sale like Storm :(

Blank!

I've been playing as Spider-Man for the past few days, I've gotten up to Chapter 6 on Super Heroic difficulty without much trouble. I'm at level 52 and I am getting my ass handed to me badly now. My basic stats are: Defence 5754 Damage 282. Which seems very low, especially on damage, my Level 60 Captain America has 12700 Defence and 1713 Damage for example.

I must be doing something wrong, right?

My Powers and Loadout for reference.

EDIT: Think the issue was a weak Cosmic Webshooter I'd been hanging on to for too long xD

Few things:

1- I can't recommend enough a scroll of pama (lvl 20) and adv version (lvl 50?) for characters without (good) natural sustain. The red orb will proc more than you think, it's far better than a Mark of Odinborn. If you need one, find me in game I'll pass one off.

2- Damage rating stat is meaningless. It's only showing you any gear with FLAT +damage rating. It doesn't take into consideration any gear that says +physical, +melee, etc. that you might have equipped. That said, you could probably use an upgrade on slot 1 if it's that old.

3- Your build lacks focus. You've got 2 single target spirit spenders (brawl and barrage). I don't know if it's just a piece of gear giving you +skills, but you don't need both. If you're going primarily melee focus, max spider to the fly. Regardless, don't max web spray.

4- Stick around is the superior AoE option to Web Wrecking ball, especially for leveling. It's a massive stun that scales with levels which greatly negates the incoming damage you have to face. Web Wrecking ball relies on avoidance which isn't always possible.

5- Personal preference, but I don't find his sig all that great a point investment. The cooldown just too long to justify putting points into it.

Rhaknar

seriously, am I the only one that sometimes misses a chapter (usually chapter 9) and could sware he did it?

was just checking my Luke Cage and I noticed I only had 133 talent points, turns out I didnt do ch9 somehow... and like I said (this has happened a few times too) I could sware I did it, because I never move on to another character before getting all the points/health/spirit on the previous one... WTF. Im starting to think its some bug, or im just old and senile.

Fun fact, Luke is a beast and I 1-shot superheroic Loki easily.

Top Bottom