• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

I find x defense so boring, that even the lure of more Uniques wont get me to play it very much.
I just found out last night that its no longer possible to upgrade from a rare item to a Cosmic one (at a level 20 Crafter). This really sucks, as it was the best and easiest way to get good Cosmic items. Its also the feature that I would spend most of my money on. I really hope it returns eventually.

KePoW

Banned
I just found out last night that its no longer possible to upgrade from a rare item to a Cosmic one (at a level 20 Crafter). This really sucks, as it was the best and easiest way to get good Cosmic items. Its also the feature that I would spend most of my money on. I really hope it returns eventually.

Agreed 100%, I have no idea why they took this recipe out. That sucks bigtime, I used it a lot.

What's the consensus on Iron Man these days?!

A mate of mine is keen to jump into MH, so we're going to do a co-op run together and I'm thinking about buying another character specifically for use when we play.

It's either Iron Man, or maybe Spider-Man.

Totally going off my favouritism from the comics of course, but how do they play as MH characters?

Vecks

Iron Man is pretty good. He starts off okay, but once he gets full access to all his powers by 30, he becomes pretty beastly. One Off is insanely good and works wonders in x-def, his other AoE options are all pretty strong, he has a shield and a revive which makes him pretty tough for a ranged hero. His ultimate is flashy, but perhaps not particularly strong unless you're fighting a single boss by its lonesome.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Iron Man is pretty beastly but in my experience requires a more active rotation than most heroes, in that he has an actual rotation and not just 2 skills you need to use in a fight. This makes it more fun for me, personally. Plus he has the benefit of basically being a level 52 hero but all his powers are unlocked at 30, which is nice. I'd recommend him over Spider-Man in a heartbeat.

Lord Phol

I find x defense so boring, that even the lure of more Uniques wont get me to play it very much.

Yeah X-Defense get's boring pretty fast IMO, I still do it once in awhile for the phat loot. Holo-sim on the other hand I love. The waves are more fun and engaging, and seeing different heroes pair up to fight stuff is really neat!

Agreed 100%, I have no idea why they took this recipe out. That sucks bigtime, I used it a lot.

I think it was in the last patch notes, they removed it temporary because of a glitch so it will most likely make a return once that is fixed.

I'd go so far as to say that Iron Man is still the most well designed hero in the game.

I wouldn't go that far myself, but I guess it's just a matter of taste. He feels too much like a walking artillery to me than the mobile fighter he usually is in other media, and I'm not super fond of his visuals. He has alot of different powers though and most of them are viable, so in that regard he's pretty well-designed.

My vote would probably go to GR (not that he's perfect), he has plenty of builds/options, a really neat and visual appealing powerset and he feels alot like I imagined Ghost Rider would in this kind of game. His Signature definetly needs some work though and I'm not too fond of his ulti, but that is probably just me.

Gambit after his rework seems to be in a great place as well, and I really love Nightcrawlers powers except for his sword tree.

I really like that new Jean costume. It doesnt even seem to be the same character. Probably because her face is very different from the ones in the other costumes.

Well it's based on her Marvel Now run where she's still a teen. I agree that the face really makes it stand out from the rest, in a good way IMO!

I asked about it in-game last night and someone said it was removed because the numbers werent transferring correctly from Rares to Cosmics.
I hope this is the case, as Gaz can hopefully fix the bug and re-implement the Cosmic upgrade option.

Yeah X-Defense get's boring pretty fast IMO, I still do it once in awhile for the phat loot. Holo-sim on the other hand I love. The waves are more fun and engaging, and seeing different heroes pair up to fight stuff is really neat!

I havent even tried the Holo-sim yet. I'll have to get on that.
Usually I just bum around Midtown as much as I can.

On another note, I gound my fist non-Cosmic item that has a +1 to all powers. It would be quite a nice bonus to have on a Cosmic item :)

jAdkDFlvZ5hB4.jpg

Thanks all.
Looks like Iron Man it is.
Might get the pack off the website, seems the best value with the Stash tab.

Had an awesome night tonight with my Jean. Level 50 now. Had a level 50 Uru Forged drop, and FINALLY got a damn Cattle Rune so I fancied up the Uru forged.

Got enough Odin Marks for my first Legendary. Got the Gungnir.

Did X-Defense once as well after you lot were talking about it today. Dayumm.. Not wrong. Just one round and I gained two Uniques and a few Cosmic items. Sooo need to do more of that! Pretty happy with a bunch of rolls tonight and also got a M'Kraan which I socketed into the Costume.

Game is so addictive.

Toppot

I am getting so lucky at this game that I now feel really bad xD Decided to buy a couple of Random Character Boxes with splinters and see if I got Deadpool before I buy him. Boom!

aSmPLIz.png

Also really happy to get Squirrel Girl, I wanna play a character with a completely different style, I think playing her as an allies/mob spawning build will be interesting. I would have accepted Cyclops or Gambit because I want their synergies but I am so stoked with what I got.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you wont be glad about squirrel girl for long

KePoW

Banned
Did X-Defense once as well after you lot were talking about it today. Dayumm.. Not wrong. Just one round and I gained two Uniques and a few Cosmic items. Sooo need to do more of that! Pretty happy with a bunch of rolls tonight and also got a M'Kraan which I socketed into the Costume.

Game is so addictive.

tkhbsIx.jpg

Hey for your costume, you should put Grade 1 + 2 + 3 affixes too, not just Grade 4

Is she really bad? I won't play as her for a few days so I want to be prepared if she is rubbish xD

No she isn't. He just likes to pick bad builds for characters and then complain that they suck. She's not top tier, but she's fun to play. Go for squirrel summoning and buffs based on squirrel summoning with melee.

Vecks

Is she really bad? I won't play as her for a few days so I want to be prepared if she is rubbish xD

I don't have her so I can't comment, but everyone has completely different opinions about all the characters. As long as you already have the character, just give them a try yourself.

Yeah I didn't like playing Squirrel Girl all that much, she was alright. Definitely in the lower end for me in terms of fun, but I at least didn't hate playing her (like I did with Punisher lol).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No she isn't. He just likes to pick bad builds for characters and then complain that they suck. She's not top tier, but she's fun to play. Go for squirrel summoning and buffs based on squirrel summoning with melee.

she is by far the worst character Ive played and has nothing to do with her "bad" build, but hey, that is my opinion, which is just that, an opinion.

Also she is the only character in the game so far I said sucks, so I dont know where you are coming from with that "lol he doesnt know the proper builds so he says characters suck" line. Theres others that didnt grab me, like Cyclops, Loki or Moon Knight, but I never said they suck.

Everyone has different opinions, thats cool, I'll see how she is when I play her. Loving Deadpool atm, but I liked Thor on my normal playthrough then slowly started to dislike him more and more.

what you said about Thor actually mirrors what I felt with SG. I really enjoyed her until the high 40s/50s

Toppot

Everyone has different opinions, thats cool, I'll see how she is when I play her. Loving Deadpool atm, but I liked Thor on my normal playthrough then slowly started to dislike him more and more.

Rhaknar

Oh, thanks! Yeah, I'd totally forgotten about that.

also this is obvious but because a friend of mine didnt know, you can redo the affixes as many times you want until you get the one you want :)

also this is obvious but because a friend of mine didnt know, you can redo the affixes as many times you want until you get the one you want :)

I did try them a few times with my Deadpool costume.

Guessing with Jean, I'm probably best always sticking to Crit and Spirit?

Rhaknar

any word on what is on tomorows patch? I know gambit buffs and retweaks, maybe Wolverine Fear Itself costume for Advance Pack owners and Jean costume for store? Surprise review? RIF/SIF/XP weekend?

Hey are you a fan of Deadpool the comic character??

Yeah, what tipped you off? :p

I've been into comics since I was a kid; started with X-Men stuff in my early school years and my mate was a huge Wolverine fanboy so I read a lot of him too. In the late 90's I started reading the specific Deadpool stuff though (still have some of the old issues in storage, wish I'd kept them all!), and ultimately ended up following the Cable & Deadpool series in like 2005 or whatever it was. I loooooved that.

The more recent Deadpool series written by Way was also really great. Light-hearted fun. I loved the video game, played that a whole bunch of times, and I'm currently reading the new NOW line of Deadpool. It's pretty good, but started off terribly with the Dead Presidents thing and they're going for a bit of a softer, less comedic and more psychologically complicated DP in this run of late, so I'm probably not enjoying it as much as the light-hearted earlier stuff, but I still love the character.

Why you ask?

any word on what is on tomorows patch? I know gambit buffs and retweaks, maybe Wolverine Fear Itself costume for Advance Pack owners and Jean costume for store? Surprise review? RIF/SIF/XP weekend?

Going by what's on the TC as of today's build:

- Gambit was finally added to the game.
- The new Gambit and Jean costumes
both of which emphasize the characters' asses >_>
(and most likely Wolvy's Fear Itself).
- A nice UI for Midtown showing time till next boss wave and bosses remaining when the waves are up.
- The new event stuff.

KePoW

Banned
Yeah, what tipped you off? :p

I've been into comics since I was a kid; started with X-Men stuff in my early school years and my mate was a huge Wolverine fanboy so I read a lot of him too. In the late 90's I started reading the specific Deadpool stuff though (still have some of the old issues in storage, wish I'd kept them all!), and ultimately ended up following the Cable & Deadpool series in like 2005 or whatever it was. I loooooved that.

The more recent Deadpool series written by Way was also really great. Light-hearted fun. I loved the video game, played that a whole bunch of times, and I'm currently reading the new NOW line of Deadpool. It's pretty good, but started off terribly with the Dead Presidents thing and they're going for a bit of a softer, less comedic and more psychologically complicated DP in this run of late, so I'm probably not enjoying it as much as the light-hearted earlier stuff, but I still love the character.

Why you ask?

Oh I didn't know if you got your gaf name from Deadpool the comic character, or if you found it from Marvel Heroes

Rhaknar

did he stick a sock down there? o_O

costume looks good tho, much better than I expected

Charlatan

Neo Member
I just got my Moon Knight to 60 and I have to say he's become one of my favorites. He's not perfect - lack of a really good AOE is his biggest negative - but he is a beast, and I don't fear anything with him. He just stands in all the goop thrown down by the bad guys, and if the stuff hits the fan, he pops Avatar of Vengeance and goes to town. And he doesn't even have his blessings or a legendary yet.

I had a blast leveling Nightcrawler to 60, and MK was also a ton of fun - it feels like Gaz has outdone themselves in 2014 with the hero designs - I am really looking forward to Doctor Strange at the end of this month.

Lord Phol

I just got my Moon Knight to 60 and I have to say he's become one of my favorites. He's not perfect - lack of a really good AOE is his biggest negative - but he is a beast, and I don't fear anything with him. He just stands in all the goop thrown down by the bad guys, and if the stuff hits the fan, he pops Avatar of Vengeance and goes to town. And he doesn't even have his blessings or a legendary yet.

I had a blast leveling Nightcrawler to 60, and MK was also a ton of fun - it feels like Gaz has outdone themselves in 2014 with the hero designs - I am really looking forward to Doctor Strange at the end of this month.

I agree, out of all the melee brawlers he's my absolute favorite. The black costume helps alot as well, I feel very batmanish :D. Even though his powers might feel a bit simple they work really great and I enjoy the small distinct visual effects on them, like the Ankh on revive and the Crecent Moon GFX on the Truncheon Ricochet.

My mains so far are Nightcrawler, Ghost Rider and Gambit, mainly because they are so well designed. Future heroes should be even better if they keep it up!

So how hard is it to get a new character now? I rolled deep in the beta, but stopped on release but only got starters and gave up after 50 hours. Don't wanna play Thing for 45 more hours lol

LuuKyK

Dr. Strange will launch on March 28, with approximately 2 weeks of testing and daily iteration before that.

Team-Ups will launch with the Captain America movie. Spider-Man and the movie-inspired Falcon will be the first, with many to follow.

Dr. Strange on TC around March 14 then.

When is the Captain America movie due to btw? Also I had to google who Falcon is. :p

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
God, Gaz disgusts me. Each week they put out a huge patch with a ton of stuff and changes in it. How are other developers supposed to look good?

Vecks

So how hard is it to get a new character now? I rolled deep in the beta, but stopped on release but only got starters and gave up after 50 hours. Don't wanna play Thing for 45 more hours lol

What heroes do you have? They have been changing some heroes substantially and will continue to do so, even the old starters like hawkeye and daredevil are some of my favorites now.

But if you must know, they changed the system. Heroes no longer drop. So it's no longer a matter of chance, but of time you put in (and still chance if you decide to go for the cheaper random hero box). You buy them with an item called eternity splinters, which drop roughly once every 5 minutes, but has an extremely limited chance of dropping 10 at a time. It costs 175 to buy a random hero (but there's a chance of dupe, so don't go for it if you don't want to gamble). Otherwise, cheap heroes cost 200, most cost 400, and certain popular heroes cost 600.

They did change the actual starter heroes too. I think this list is right:
Luke Cage Punisher Captain America Black Panther Black Widow Human Torch Colossus Storm Hawkeye
So if you really don't care for the characters you have, you could just start over with a new account.

And to add to what Vecks said, if you start over and complete the story line the game gives you a bonus amount of splinters (100?) that should give you enough with the ones you get while playing to get at least a random if not a 200 splinter hero outright. Basically, as long as you are not overleveled, you should get to 175 in about 20 hours of game time or so.

What heroes do you have? They have been changing some heroes substantially and will continue to do so, even the old starters like hawkeye and daredevil are some of my favorites now.

I don't even remember, I think it was Thing, Hawkeye, Storm... I stopped pretty early on after beating it once since the prospects of new characters was too far and few between at the time.

But I'm curious now so I guess I will download and give it a go again.

KePoW

Banned
God, Gaz disgusts me. Each week they put out a huge patch with a ton of stuff and changes in it. How are other developers supposed to look good?

I think this is still a very underrated game.

There was a GAF thread last night discussing why Marvel doesn't make any video games on the level of Arkham series quality. It seemed like nobody in that thread even knew that Marvel Heroes existed.

DrBo42

Seems like they majorly fucked up boons which is causing boosts in general to be lost in some cases. If some of you have any stacks of paid boosts you don't want to lose, you might not want to log on today until Gaz fixes it.

I think this is still a very underrated game.

There was a GAF thread last night discussing why Marvel doesn't make any video games on the level of Arkham series quality. It seemed like nobody in that thread even knew that Marvel Heroes existed.
It is underrated yeah but nowhere near Arkham quality. Core gameplay and available activities have a way to go before it reaches that point.

It is underrated yeah but nowhere near Arkham quality. Core gameplay and available activities have a way to go before it reaches that point.

I've put over 100 hours into Marvel Heroes...I'm more interested in a loot ARPG than a Batman franchise that has similar mechanics throughout. I loved AA but AC was so boring in comparison.

KePoW

Banned
Seems like they majorly fucked up boons which is causing boosts in general to be lost in some cases. If some of you have any stacks of paid boosts you don't want to lose, you might not want to log on today until Gaz fixes it.

Thanks for this notice. I don't read the MH forums so I would have no idea.

I can't personally agree with this. I don't see any aspect of MH that is less quality than the Arkham games. (Excluding the fact that they are different genres... you can't have Arkham's melee combat in a Diablo-style isometric ARPG. Arkham is a third-person game.)

DrBo42

I've put over 100 hours into Marvel Heroes...I'm more interested in a loot ARPG than a Batman franchise that has similar mechanics throughout. I loved AA but AC was so boring in comparison.

Not saying I dislike the game or anything, as of this moment I have 311 hours played. It's a ridiculous comparison to begin with but Marvel Heroes is missing that cohesive feel Arkham has. The only real fun the game has is leveling characters and some horde modes that are so-so. The story is bland and forgettable and the combat is rarely satisfying. The game could really benefit from doing an entire hero pass with making hit feedback better or exaggerate the ragdoll on certain moves.

Top Bottom