• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

I don't even remember, I think it was Thing, Hawkeye, Storm... I stopped pretty early on after beating it once since the prospects of new characters was too far and few between at the time.

But I'm curious now so I guess I will download and give it a go again.

If you pick it back up using your old account, you'll have the characters you acquired before and just have to collect the splinters (or buy outright if you feel like it) to get a new one. The other option is, as suggested, to start a new account and start from scratch.

Not sure this will be relevant for you, but it looks like they are doing something with the in-game store this weekend. You can buy a box that contains 2 characters. I'm fuzzy on the details so I don't know if they are always the same or what. EDIT: OK, the box is still a random box but you get two copies of the same character. Why is that good? You can improve your ultimate power once you unlock it. Cost for the box is 450 G, though I don't know if you can buy it with splinters (I doubt it).

Vecks

I don't even remember, I think it was Thing, Hawkeye, Storm... I stopped pretty early on after beating it once since the prospects of new characters was too far and few between at the time.

But I'm curious now so I guess I will download and give it a go again.

I haven't really played Thing since I leveled him to 30, but out of those three, Hawkeye is the only one to have gotten his lv52 review. Storm has had a few changes here and there since launch (mostly just streamlining breeze and tempest powers/passives) but remains largely the same, but they're aiming to get her review, like most x-men, in time for the next x-men movie.

Lord Phol

Dayum Wolverines new costume looks faptacular in-game, renders don't do it justice. Really need his review sooon!

Also I can't settle on a build for gambit D:, so many neato powers!
At least I got my stromtrooper gear on :D.

Yeah I think I'll have to throw down some money again. That Gambit suit actually looks nice (not as shabby and filthy as the other 2 costumes :p), and so does Jean's new alt. Also still kinda want Luke Noir and probably something else I've forgotten.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I can't personally agree with this. I don't see any aspect of MH that is less quality than the Arkham games.

Not to get too into this, but that's... no. Arkham games have a CRAZY level of polish, not to mention extremely good, elegant design. The animations, fluidity of the combat system, environments, all top notch. Marvel Heroes has nowhere near the same level of polish, quality of visual design or game design imo. It's quite rudimentary, mechanics-wise, but they get away with it because they have so many characters. Compare 1 character to any Diablo 3 character and it's night and day in terms of design quality and amount of skills/viable builds.

I love MH, it's a great game, but it's not a masterpiece of design. But whatever, it comes down to opinion, and it really is apples and oranges.

Also yeah boons are messed up, they keep disappearing and ate some of my other buffs too, so hold on to them, I'd suggest.

Ken

God, Gaz disgusts me. Each week they put out a huge patch with a ton of stuff and changes in it. How are other developers supposed to look good?

A long time ago every patch also resulted in something being terribly broken resulting in even longer down times so it wasn't all great. :p

Vecks

:( They said four times more loot for Odin's Bounty, but apparently (and perhaps not surprisingly) it doesn't mean four cube shards. I guess I expected too much.

inky

Since what time have the servers been open? Their server status link says the servers are still down (for me), but the message on the forums claims otherwise.

IGQQ1iA.png

AWW YEAH GET HYPED!

Vecks

A long time ago every patch also resulted in something being terribly broken resulting in even longer down times so it wasn't all great. :p

It's not a Marvel Heroes patch without something randomly breaking. It's pretty much tradition at this point. Thankfully it's not as bad as of late.

LuuKyK

OMG! Finally a character I care about! Strange is looking good.

I can't imagine what I will feel when this pre-launch phase arrives for Psylocke. I will probably have multiple meltdowns. I think.

Valnen

The aliasing in this game drives me crazy but SGSSAA seems to kill my framerate, which is a shame because the game looks WAY better with a cleaned up image. This game needs some built in AA and some optimization.

KePoW

Banned
The aliasing in this game drives me crazy but SGSSAA seems to kill my framerate, which is a shame because the game looks WAY better with a cleaned up image. This game needs some built in AA and some optimization.

Use SweetFX's SMAA, works great without much framerate hit.

I realize I have serious altitis, but I have no idea how you guys rushed your characters to level 60. My highest level is the Punisher at 49, and it has taken me a small eternity to get there. What am I doing wrong?

For the record, I just came back to the game a week or so ago for the first time since before X-Defense was released. I'm still confused on what I should be doing. Mainly legendary quests?

Charlatan

Neo Member
I realize I have serious altitis, but I have no idea how you guys rushed your characters to level 60. My highest level is the Punisher at 49, and it has taken me a small eternity to get there. What am I doing wrong?

For the record, I just came back to the game a week or so ago for the first time since before X-Defense was released. I'm still confused on what I should be doing. Mainly legendary quests?

Legendary Quests are how many people get from 20-60. However, every other toon on your your account gives you an XP bonus (with level 60s giving you a flat 10% bonus; Cyclops has a synergy that gives an additional 10%). So with a bunch of level 60 toons, and XP buffs you can easily get 80 to 200% XP bonuses. There are also a couple of enchants you can put on gear to give extra XP per kill, and a runeword that gives extra XP per kill - those are available at the enchanter once you level him up enough.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the first hero takes ages. most of us have multiple 60s so we have a ton of bonus xp

also, bonus or no bonus, legendaries give a ton of xp. just reroll the ones that send you all over the place and focus on the terminal and midtown ones

Ken

Alrighty, patched up my game and got back in so I have a ton of questions since I haven't played for a long time.

t
also, bonus or no bonus, legendaries give a ton of xp. just reroll the ones that send you all over the place and focus on the terminal and midtown ones

The legendary quest I have is telling me to go to an area in chapter 4; should I just re-roll it to get terminal/MM?

You also get an additional 1% XP bonus for every character you have at 30.

I turned on synergies for 9 characters above level 30 but I don't see the XP bonus lit up; it's still at 0?

---

How are Loki, Jean, and Iron Man currently? My IM is 55 and I got to play him a bit after he got the One Off for the first time but the leveling was pretty miserable (which was part of the reason i stopped playing).

What's the fastest way to level?

Still don't understand Relics. Do I really have to collect multiples of the exact same one to see increased benefits? Seems pretty hard to get anything going given RNG?

Are Rings, Uru-Forged Slot, and Legendary just more types of gear that can drop like any other piece of gear?

Blank!

The legendary quest I have is telling me to go to an area in chapter 4; should I just re-roll it to get terminal/MM?

I would say never do this. It's a huge credit sink and it's usually not THAT much more time to complete those other area objectives. If you're really desperate for odin marks fast then, meh, go ahead... but I wouldn't recommend it.

I turned on synergies for 9 characters above level 30 but I don't see the XP bonus lit up; it's still at 0?

Synergies and XP bonus are 2 different things. IIRC, it should show on your stat screen somewhere but I can't remember if it was really level 30 that gave the first xp bonus or not. I thought it was 40 but *shrug*.

How are Loki, Jean, and Iron Man currently? My IM is 55 and I got to play him a bit after he got the One Off for the first time but the leveling was pretty miserable (which was part of the reason i stopped playing).

My Loki is only level 23 and he sucks so far. Lots of his better skills seem to be 30+ in level and he's got spirit issues like woah. I think I would of been better off playing summoner for the early levels then switch to caster-mode but meh. He's garbage at the moment but that'll likely turn around later.

Jean I own but have yet to play.

Ironman is pretty beast and an easy leveler IMO. 0 spirit problems and half of his best abilities are early in level. Wrist Rocket/Pulse Bolt are amazing AoE's and barrage is good single target. He was an incredibly easy leveler for me... *shrug*

What's the fastest way to level?

MM till ~10 or so, then X-defense till 20, then legendary quests till blue in the face.

Still don't understand Relics. Do I really have to collect multiples of the exact same one to see increased benefits? Seems pretty hard to get anything going given RNG?

Yes, and for the most part, they hit diminishing returns hard and fast. For the most part, getting up to about ~100 stack should suffice, the difference between 100 and 1000 (other than 900 HP) is generally pretty small. The only real exceptions are the +HP one (I think that's just 2K HP at max stack), +defense one, and +spirit one. The rest you can split if you really care.

Are Rings, Uru-Forged Slot, and Legendary just more types of gear that can drop like any other piece of gear?

Rings and Uru-Forge drop. Legendaries you buy with Odin marks only (for 300). Runes drop that can be socketed in slots 1-5 for small bonuses (see your enchanter) or combined in a Uru-forge to form a runeword. 3 to look out for:

River of Soul (Spirit) - Chalice, Lake, Man
Ancient Grove (Defense) - Ash, Birch, Oak
Seer's Brilliance (Leveling) - Lake, Year

All 3 are relatively "cheap" to put together and offer some amazing bonuses. Not sure what level enchanter you need for all 3 however.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give STRANGE

Also, in my recent experience, leveling up is fastest in X-Def, at least until 45-50ish, then it might be more beneficial to grind (easy) LQs. 30 to 45 is like, 5 games of X-def, it's really fast with some pots/hero synergy.

LuuKyK

I dont get why people say to start leveling your character in MM. So you guys dont even play the story mode? Dont you need to be on superheroic for the legendary quests to work anyway?

Thanks for the advice, guys. The hero synergy stuff is reassuring, and makes me wish I had stuck it out with one character to 60 first. I have three or four over 40, so I'll focus on getting to the cap with them.

Regarding Odin marks: their main purpose is buying legendaries, correct? So I should save up to buy them for characters I want to "main"?

There are so many currencies in this game that it's taken me awhile to get them straight. The splinters I'm saving solely for new characters, and the cube shards I'm saving up for cards. Is that also the way to roll?

KePoW

Banned
Regarding Odin marks: their main purpose is buying legendaries, correct? So I should save up to buy them for characters I want to "main"?

There are so many currencies in this game that it's taken me awhile to get them straight. The splinters I'm saving solely for new characters, and the cube shards I'm saving up for cards. Is that also the way to roll?

Yes to all 3 questions

Vecks

Rerolling is something you should do after you get familiar with the quests. You'll learn to remember which ones are worth doing, or which ones are too much of a hassle (though they have been modifying them now and then to make the more annoying ones a bit easier).

Also, this is something I do personally: if the legendary quest is near a story quest with an important reward, like a power point, I go for it. Beating Hood in chapter 2, Kingpin in chapter 4, Science Facility in chapter 7, Ruins in chapter 9 all give power points.

Hero XP synergy is in your stats, it's all the way near the bottom if you scroll down. Getting the first hero up to 60 though helps a lot. It gives like 25 or 30% for the first hero at 60. After that it decreases after every other hero at 60.

LuuKyK

I think everyone who says this has already beaten the Story once. After that, don't really need to see it again.

Well, I asked because Blank said MM till level 10 and I am assuming that if you finish story mode once you will be more than level 10. I don't know.

And what about the need to be in superheroic for the legendary quests to be valid? Anyone?

Vecks

Well, I asked because Blank said MM till level 10 and I am assuming that if you finish story mode once you will be more than level 10. I don't know.

And what about the need to be in superheroic for the legendary quests to be valid? Anyone?

Legendary quests that need to be done in the story will tell you what mode you need to be in. It's based on your level, because at say, lvl 30ish you could either get asgard quest (ch9) in normal mode or hell's kitchen quest (ch1) in heroic, since there is a level overlap.

KePoW

Banned

Yes, certain LQs require it to be done in Heroic or SuperHeroic. But you do not need to beat the story to change difficulty settings.

Also hey are you the dude who is a huge fan of PSYLOCKE, but has never read comics before?? Can't remember if I was talking to you about that or someone else

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Got all MK uniques and I'm level 55, thank u based RNG god. Even have some dupe uniques, chest piece took me longest to get. Actually got 3 uniques in one game of SHIELD Holo Sim, I soloed up to wave 20 and then Hulk smashed me.

LuuKyK

Yes, certain LQs require it to be done in Heroic or SuperHeroic. But you do not need to beat the story to change difficulty settings.

Also hey are you the dude who is a huge fan of PSYLOCKE, but has never read comics before?? Can't remember if I was talking to you about that or someone else

That would be me, yes. Lol

Does that make me a #fakefan? I honestly dont think so. I never read any comic to be honest, and I still feel like liking a lot of these characters just by following the movies/cartoons and reading about them on the internet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Got all MK uniques and I'm level 55, thank u based RNG god. Even have some dupe uniques, chest piece took me longest to get. Actually got 3 uniques in one game of SHIELD Holo Sim, I soloed up to wave 20 and then Hulk smashed me.

I got 4 and Im 46 o_O I think hes the one with most uniques now too

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Is Holo-Sim better than X-Defense?

I doubt it, but I only played the one game so the sample size is pretty small. But x-def isn't quite what is used to be, though it's by no means awful, it could well be the case that strictly for uniques, SHIELD has better droprate atm. I guess I'd say try it? Outside of those 3 uniques, I got nothing of note though, maybe 1 or 2 common runes.

That would be me, yes. Lol

Does that make me a #fakefan? I honestly dont think so. I never read any comic to be honest, and I still feel like liking a lot of these characters just by following the movies/cartoons and reading about them on the internet.

I completely understand. Marvel is successful because of their characters but comics continuity can be overwhelming. That being said, comics are great and nowadays can be really easy to get a hold of through trade paperbacks...even your local public library probably has comics at this point. I love psylocke too and I've got the huge 900+ page collection of uncanny xforce coming in the mail. Very excited to read it again.

Vecks

Ha ha, thought I'd give x-def a try since I hadn't had the chance since the patch hit, and just got 3 new and different uniques for Emma in two back-to-back waves of x-def. Feels good. :) Now I just need one more and she will be complete.

Top Bottom