• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

I never get that kind of luck last unique I got was a dupe after four rounds of xdef. One of those waves had the straight waves of doop in the 20s.

Blank!

Well, I asked because Blank said MM till level 10 and I am assuming that if you finish story mode once you will be more than level 10. I don't know.

And what about the need to be in superheroic for the legendary quests to be valid? Anyone?

I'm crazy, so I run story mode to completion with all characters. But I still get them to ~level 25-30 (or whenever I start getting legendary quests for the next difficulty level) before going through it. I'll basically boss rush it at that point in order to complete it faster.

I completely understand. Marvel is successful because of their characters but comics continuity can be overwhelming. That being said, comics are great and nowadays can be really easy to get a hold of through trade paperbacks...even your local public library probably has comics at this point. I love psylocke too and I've got the huge 900+ page collection of uncanny xforce coming in the mail. Very excited to read it again.

That's the best comic run I've read in the past few years. Remender is such a great writer. That got me into Fantomex, who definitely needs to be in this game.

That's the best comic run I've read in the past few years. Remender is such a great writer. That got me into Fantomex, who definitely needs to be in this game.

He would be pretty easy to do. Dual pistols, acrobatics, stealth, and Eva as transport and gunship. A great unique would be something referencing uncle cluster that would summon Evan.

LuuKyK

I simply don't follow comics because I have no idea where to start and when to stop. Its way too confusing and expensive for me, especially not living in the USA, where I believe its easier to find and cheaper.

Patch has been great fun, especially with the bonus Cosmic stuff. Haven't had any decent loot from them, but it's nice to see 4-6 Cosmic items dropping after a Terminal :)

Jean to 60 and got Spider-Man as my double-Hero random yesterday, and used my 175 Splinters on another, which ended up being Daredevil, so I've got some new heroes to play with!

Oh I didn't know if you got your gaf name from Deadpool the comic character, or if you found it from Marvel Heroes

Yeah, comic character!
I've used the username on forums for years. Can't often get it these days though as he's a lot more popular now than he once was. Hence the dashes. Or other variations haha..

Seems like they majorly fucked up boons which is causing boosts in general to be lost in some cases. If some of you have any stacks of paid boosts you don't want to lose, you might not want to log on today until Gaz fixes it.

Wish I'd read this yesterday before I jumped in.

Friday night, anticipating the patch and trying to clear out my inventory space, I used up most of my Rarity and XP boons. Had ~2 days of Rarity and 8 hours of XP boost. All prepared to get Jean to 60 on Sat. Logged in and played around a bit with some X-Def, but when I went back to the Hub, all I had was a Rarity and a Special boon active. Gutted.

Ah well, still got my Jean to 60 yesterday!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
any gaffers up for bovenhiem, i have two portals left (out of 6) they have been my best area for uniques and cosmic rings so far.

in the runs i done so far (4) ive had 6 cosmic rings, many many other normal cosmic items.

and 9 uniques.

rng is rng but alot of people i grouped with had very similar results.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm definitely down, if you haven't used them yet. Never been there.

I offered 2 Mental Urus and 1 Defense Uru for Saturn rune. I was met with sarcasm and maybe a little condescension.
I guess Im just not familiar enough with the Rune market? lol

DrBo42

Wish I'd read this yesterday before I jumped in.

Friday night, anticipating the patch and trying to clear out my inventory space, I used up most of my Rarity and XP boons. Had ~2 days of Rarity and 8 hours of XP boost. All prepared to get Jean to 60 on Sat. Logged in and played around a bit with some X-Def, but when I went back to the Hub, all I had was a Rarity and a Special boon active. Gutted.

Ah well, still got my Jean to 60 yesterday!
Fuck, sorry man. Grats on the 60 regardless.

If I were to want to get a new hero, you guys recommend just using the random box or save up for one?
How many heroes do you own? If it's a small amount then the random box is the best bang for the buck.

LuuKyK

Finally got my first hero to 60 (Storm). Felt like forever. lol Now to level up Emma I guess. Also to keep saving splinters for Psylocke is my main goal at the moment. I am expecting her to be 400. If she is more I will be pissed.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
ive still got the two portals, would it be best if we arranged a time for the event to take place ?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Moon Knight makes 15, halfway done (well halfway until strange is out)

After going back to MK and enjoying him more, I went back to NC and got him from 32 to 38... man he is so squishy, and Im using the defensive passives :/ im dying a lot in XDEF, which i hadnt in any character in awhile (granted the last characters I leveled where all pretty tanky)

LuuKyK

Avengers-Undercover-1-capa2.jpg

Anyone know who these characters on the cover are? Is that Punisher? Who is the girl with the green flames on the left?

Blank!

I offered 2 Mental Urus and 1 Defense Uru for Saturn rune. I was met with sarcasm and maybe a little condescension.
I guess Im just not familiar enough with the Rune market? lol

Uru's are next to completely worthless for trading. You can sometimes get a free one just by asking someone to donate one. Level 25 uru's are in slightly (barely) more demand but not by much.

As for runes:

Zod's are the most expensive usually going for multiple blessings/HoD's/etc. mostly due to rarity.

Tyr's are next, despite being less rare than say... Thor, they're key in the most useful runeword by far (Bowazon)

Saturn's while not as 'expensive' as Tyr's still go for a good chunk because they're the next rarest component in Bowazon

Thor runes are also pretty sought after.

The vast majority of other runes have next to no trading value. A serpent can sometimes fetch a decent price it seems but not compared to the others. The problem with the other rare runes:

Loki - does absolutely nothing currently (no runeword uses it, no enchant for it)
Odin - does nothing unless you have a Thor rune, and Thor is necessary for more runewords
Ymir - only 1 runeword and it's not very good
Sif - requires Thor
Frigga - requires Thor

Runes can be used to supplement a trade and sometimes you can offer enough "bulk" of runes to entice a trader, but it's certainly not the norm.

Sajjaja

How many heroes do you own? If it's a small amount then the random box is the best bang for the buck.

I only have Hawkeye and Thing, none of which are 60 (or even 30). Are the probabilities of getting a more expensive drop different? I guess it's impossible to tell right?

KePoW

Banned
I only have Hawkeye and Thing, none of which are 60 (or even 30). Are the probabilities of getting a more expensive drop different? I guess it's impossible to tell right?

It's totally random. But the odds are in your favor if you only have 2 heroes.

Vecks

If I were to want to get a new hero, you guys recommend just using the random box or save up for one?

If you don't have many heroes, and there's a hero you really want to play and don't have yet (and it's not 600), save up. Having a favorite makes the grind for more splinters less painful.

I've used maybe 14 random boxes as of this point. Had maybe 2 or 3 dupes. The rest were new and I've gotten 3 600 splinter heroes from them, spiderman, ironman and deadpool. I feel like it's pretty random/equal chance for any hero. If you get a dupe with only 2 heroes, then that's just really bad luck.

Anyone know who these characters on the cover are? Is that Punisher? Who is the girl with the green flames on the left?

From the bottom clockwise: Anachronism, Cammi (she used to travel with Drax the Destroyer), Hazmat (without her containment suit), Death Locket, Baron Helmut Zemo, Cullen Bloodstone (related to Elsa Bloodstone). They were all characters (except for Baron Zemo) in the Avengers Arena series...Avengers Undercover is about them joining Zemo's Masters of Evil so that they can get to Arcade who was the one who set up them up in Murderworld during Avengers Arena.

LuuKyK

From the bottom clockwise: Anachronism, Cammi (she used to travel with Drax the Destroyer), Hazmat (without her containment suit), Death Locket, Baron Helmut Zemo, Cullen Bloodstone (related to Elsa Bloodstone). They were all characters (except for Baron Zemo) in the Avengers Arena series...Avengers Undercover is about them joining Zemo's Masters of Evil so that they can get to Arcade who was the one who set up them up in Murderworld during Avengers Arena.

Huh, that sounds interesting. Thanks for the answer! :)

KePoW

Banned

Oh wow cool!

Are you a comics fan & pro??

The Avengers Arena run was quite good. Hopeless took a bunch of lesser know and underutilized characters (like the Runaways crowd) and let them fight to the death in a Hunger Games comic. It was a fun meatgrinder.

If you're interested in Marvel comics, let me know which characters you like and I can probably provide some suggestions.

I will say that the best stuff Marvel is releasing right now is Daredevil (about to relaunch, but I'd suggest getting the previous Waid run first), Hawkeye (even if you don't like the character this is top notch, not really even about him as a superhero), and then a tie between Captain America and Thor (I prefer the Cap stuff, but Thor is pure metal goodness).

If you're looking for non superhero stuff...well I can provide lots of recommendations there, but this is the wrong thread. Come on over to comics GAF.

For the Deadpool, Psylocke, and Wolverine fans, Uncanny X-Force is a must read. It's the best X comic in, well, ever and the omnibus is coming out that has the entire run. It's the first thing featuring Deadpool that didn't annoy me. ;)

KePoW

Banned
unfortunately, yes.

The Avengers Arena run was quite good. Hopeless took a bunch of lesser know and underutilized characters (like the Runaways crowd) and let them fight to the death in a Hunger Games comic. It was a fun meatgrinder.

If you're interested in Marvel comics, let me know which characters you like and I can probably provide some suggestions.

I will say that the best stuff Marvel is releasing right now is Daredevil (about to relaunch, but I'd suggest getting the previous Waid run first), Hawkeye (even if you don't like the character this is top notch, not really even about him as a superhero), and then a tie between Captain America and Thor (I prefer the Cap stuff, but Thor is pure metal goodness).

If you're looking for non superhero stuff...well I can provide lots of recommendations there, but this is the wrong thread. Come on over to comics GAF.

For the Deadpool, Psylocke, and Wolverine fans, Uncanny X-Force is a must read. It's the best X comic in, well, ever and the omnibus is coming out that has the entire run. It's the first thing featuring Deadpool that didn't annoy me. ;)

What's the best X-Men series?? Current-ish... let's say after Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

LuuKyK

As a Psylocke fan, I am really interested in reading Uncanny. Is it a standalone(?) series? I mean, its easy to follow? Where should I start?

KePoW

Banned
As a Psylocke fan, I am really interested in reading Uncanny. Is it a standalone(?) series? I mean, its easy to follow? Where should I start?

Yes you can read it by itself fine. Like others mentioned, I would order the new Omnibus and I think you'll like it a lot. It's an awesome series with Psylocke

What's the best X-Men series?? Current-ish... let's say after Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

Hands down it's wolverine and the x-men,it's about Logan reopening the school for gifted youngsters after having a fallout with cyclops after his militarization of mutant kind. The schism arc that leads to that series is good too.

KePoW

Banned
Hands down it's wolverine and the x-men,it's about Logan reopening the school for gifted youngsters after having a fallout with cyclops after his militarization of mutant kind. The schism arc that leads to that series is good too.

Ok thanks! I know about that series but haven't gotten there yet. I'm trying to read all the main current Marvel events since Civil War first.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I read a little bit, will eventually go back. Deadpool is tolerable in this because everyone is constantly calling him on his shit and horrified by his lack of any morals whatsoever. And coming from X-Force, that's saying something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what spell does black widow have where theres explosions everywhere? I was with one in a terminal and I couldnt tell what she was doing, all I saw was huge explosions

Probably Wolverine and the X-Men. Some folks have liked All-New X-Men with the return of the original team, but it's basically just Bendis being Bendis. The reality is the Wolverine series is probably the most fun and "purest" of the X series. There's so much bleed over right now with the Uncanny Avengers since Wolverine, Rogue, and the Scarlet Witch all hang out there.

It doesn't hurt to know the background on Apocalypse, but you'll get settled in almost immediately either way. You don't have to read anything else to supplement the story, it's all self contained.

I read a little bit, will eventually go back. Deadpool is tolerable in this because everyone is constantly calling him on his shit and horrified by his lack of any morals whatsoever. And coming from X-Force, that's saying something.

The real amoral guy in the series is Fantomex, who completely steals the show for me. I just don't like Deadpool as a character, period. When your gimmick is that you're funny, it helps to be funny. I will say the art in the most recent run is superb.

Fuck, sorry man. Grats on the 60 regardless.

Live and learn I guess haha.. Won't burn through boons again before a patch drops.

Definitely seems the best way to do it early on.

I started with Hawkeye as the freebie, I've bought one character - and my other 7 have all come from the Random Splinter boxes.

I'm probably getting close to pushing my luck, but I figure I'll keep going random until I get my first dupe and then just start saving for specific characters.

Top Bottom