• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

KePoW

Banned
Lol I didn't realize Taskmaster has such huge fans.

I'm neutral on the character, don't dislike him but I don't see what's awesome about him.

Which armor is better? Keep in mind the Lockley's armor isn't enchanted or enhanced in any way yet.

64F5F8863F5BEC1C4C528AE12EFD630A4D23D135

Lol I didn't realize Taskmaster has such huge fans.

I'm neutral on the character, don't dislike him but I don't see what's awesome about him.

This game has taught me that every character has a fan base. I'm not sure how many folks actually read the comics, so some of that might be nostalgia from when people were younger.

Like Squirrel Girl is sort of funny, I suppose, but she's a favorite for some people. Interesting.

This game has taught me that every character has a fan base. I'm not sure how many folks actually read the comics, so some of that might be nostalgia from when people were younger.

Taskmaster's popularity mostly comes from MvC3 and the games after it, honestly. He's not been a very prominent character even in the comics. But his heavy presence in basically every Marvel game in the past 7 or so years gave him a LOT of exposure. Add that to the fact he appeared in Ultimate Spider-Man. :p

That said, I'm not opposed to him being exposed more. He's a cool villain conceptually.
Also, he's definitely one of the best looking figurines in the collection I collect. One of my proudest purchases!

Like Squirrel Girl is sort of funny, I suppose, but she's a favorite for some people. Interesting.

Funnily enough, there was a post by Doomsaw a while ago. He said that basically every player ends up with most characters in the game, and said that every character had a "market share" of very close to 90% (this includes G and splinters), with the starters of course having the highest rate, while Squirrel Girl only has been purchased by around 70% of the player base.

Why? He's trash in the comics, a C-tier guy at best.

I'm glad he has fans, I suppose.
Yep. Not gonna argue with that. I'm just a big fan of his "power" and costumes. He's also one of the most money hungry characters in the Marvel universe, training soldiers both good and evil for the right price.

Such a fun character to have around, wish he stopped suffering from CIS, PIS and WIS.

But his mini series retcon was DUMB.

Whilst you guys are discussing comic characters, does anyone have an opinion on Witchblade?
I have been reading them on and off over the last few weeks (about 50 issues in now). I was hoping she would basically be a sexy Wolverine (like the covers frequently seem to suggest), but Ive found the stories quite slow and dull :(

Whilst you guys are discussing comic characters, does anyone have an opinion on Witchblade?
I have been reading them on and off over the last few weeks (about 50 issues in now). I was hoping she would basically be a sexy Wolverine (like the covers frequently seem to suggest), but Ive found the stories quite slow and dull :(

Witchblade came about in the mid-90s, which was a really rough time for comics in general. There was a "bad girl" movement that took over the market for a couple of years, and she was clearly one of the front runners in that ordeal. Here is someone's summary of the entire thing. It basically came down to lots of scantily clad ladies with massive breasts who were tough and bitchy. Okay.

I haven't kept up with the character or anything, but suffice it to say that most of that era is frowned upon by the majority of readers. Personally, those comics do nothing for me. I think the one I liked the most was the Lady Death stuff, but I haven't read it in 15 years so no idea how it holds up.

image.php

;p

lol. Darkhawk is actually not even that unlikely of a choice somewhere down the line. He's a member of the New Warriors (well, at least was, not sure if he's on the new team forming this year), was on the West Coast Avengers, and people who aren't particularly familiar with comic books know him a bit as well cause of his design (people seem to like it a lot).

Plus, while it probably won't matter by the time he'd come out, he was a fairly prominent part of the Avengers Arena event last year, which happened to be incredibly popular.

Witchblade came about in the mid-90s, which was a really rough time for comics in general. There was a "bad girl" movement that took over the market for a couple of years, and she was clearly one of the front runners in that ordeal. Here is someone's summary of the entire thing. It basically came down to lots of scantily clad ladies with massive breasts who were tough and bitchy. Okay.

I haven't kept up with the character or anything, but suffice it to say that most of that era is frowned upon by the majority of readers. Personally, those comics do nothing for me. I think the one I liked the most was the Lady Death stuff, but I haven't read it in 15 years so no idea how it holds up.

image.php

;p

That was an interesting read. Thanks.
Its funny you mention Lady Death. I have vague memories of a Cable-like character having both his arms severed by Evil Ernie, and then crucified. It was pretty jarring to see, when I was younger. Though, I might start reading that stuff after Ive finished with Witchblade. lol

EDIT: To stay on topic, I will say I am having fun with Hawkeye right now. I really like his new Ultimate and signature powers. Both the explosion of sparks and the rain of arrows are very pretty to look at.
I also think Hawkeyes default outfit gets/got too much hate. Even though I use Old Man Hawkeye, I always liked the vibrant colors his regular outfit displayed. Admittedly, the mask is a bit goofy looking.

KePoW

Banned
That was an interesting read. Thanks.
Its funny you mention Lady Death. I have vague memories of a Cable-like character having both his arms severed by Evil Ernie, and then crucified. It was pretty jarring to see, when I was younger. Though, I might start reading that stuff after Ive finished with Witchblade. lol

lol, have you tried Vampirella or Red Sonja?

Skrulls would be awesome because of their extremely varied power sets.

Well that would be Super-Skrulls. :p Skrulls themselves only have their shapechanging (and ofc the regular superhuman strength/durability/reflexes like every alien species).
I do expect the skrulls to show up eventually, though. They're such a major cosmic faction that I can't imagine cosmic-related stuff without them.

lol. Darkhawk is actually not even that unlikely of a choice somewhere down the line. He's a member of the New Warriors (well, at least was, not sure if he's on the new team forming this year), was on the West Coast Avengers, and people who aren't particularly familiar with comic books know him a bit as well cause of his design (people seem to like it a lot).

Plus, while it probably won't matter by the time he'd come out, he was a fairly prominent part of the Avengers Arena event last year, which happened to be incredibly popular.

Oh he was in the Avengers Arena event? I definitely need to read that now.
I only really like Darkhawk because the series was unpopular and therefore cheap! I found a ton of issues for really cheap as a kid at some comic store and went to town.
I always enjoyed the comic as a kid but you could tell he was a struggling series and they were throwing as many cameos as possible in to move issues lol
His fights against Venow were cool though!

And I always did like his power set. It is a fairly unique one in my opinion, although I thought the power-up he got in the recent War of Kings event was stupid.

These are the skill trees I would base him around:

Gadgets - Claw and Glider powers

DarkForce Manipulation - Use DarkForce energy for blasts and shields

Dimensional Merc - Use the DarkHawk ship to telelport down new weapons/armor and summon other DarkForce armors.

Lord Phol

Well that would be Super-Skrulls. :p Skrulls themselves only have their shapechanging (and ofc the regular superhuman strength/durability/reflexes like every alien species).
I do expect the skrulls to show up eventually, though. They're such a major cosmic faction that I can't imagine cosmic-related stuff without them.

MOOOooooo!

Which armor is better? Keep in mind the Lockley's armor isn't enchanted or enhanced in any way yet.

Unique by faaaaaaaar!

KePoW

Banned

I thought the Skrulls were already a major part of the game in the cow level?

lol, have you tried Vampirella or Red Sonja?

I have read Red Sonja a few years ago. Those comics were pretty good. Similar to Conan with their levels of hot girls and combat, IIRC :)
I haven't read Vampirella. If I Google "Vampirella comic", it looks like a lot of the actual comic content is black and white only. Is the modern stuff colored (and worth reading)?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
squirrel girl great lake avengers costume on test servers this wednesday

and maybe this also

also, for some reason I wanted to go back to human torch today, went from 31 (when i finished normal and left him) to 39 with just xdef, using about 4 or 5 retcons in between.

The positive: he deffinately isnt as squishy with all 3 defensive passives.
The negative: unlike Crawler where I can get 3 passives and still be happy with blink strike and a couple of other spells (and a couple of 1 point wonders), I can neither settle on spells on torch, nor do I really like any of them. granted at 39, I havent tried the charge AOE (which I imagine is like MsMarvel one which I do like) and the single target channeed dps spell, with only 2 points from gear, seemed weak.

so I dunno, ill probably leave him again for now, at least until I finish up Nightcrawler, but I was hoping a second chance would make me like him like what happened with both Moon Knight and Nightcrawler, but it hasnt happened. Maybe I just need the right spec, maybe Ill just not like him, theres so many heroes, im bound to fla out not like some at least

Lord Phol

I just can't decide on what I would like to do with my Ghost Rider anymore. I've been going with a Chain Lash heavy build:

http://www.marvelbase.com/builds/ge...vK2Kvv2KAvvv/234.247.33.194.187.5.1.10.58.221

Put down Inferno, buff up, throw Chain Snare, spam Chain Lash and repeat. Even though I love Chain Lash it does get a bit too repetitive. I also really love Damnation but I just can't get it to work with my build/rotation.

Trying to do something like this:

http://www.marvelbase.com/builds/ge...vK22vv2KAvvv/234.247.49.194.187.5.1.10.58.221

Same build but replacing Chain Snare with Damnation, Doom Medallion with Wizard, and one of the artifacts with Mental Headband (dunno which but I'm thinking Metasensory Array). I loose out on the power duration (which gives me full uptime on Chains Ablaze) and health (which I'm in great need of) on Dooms Medallion and I'm having a hard time making a good rotation out of it all. It's driving me maaaaaad!

Now I've gotten Hawkeye to 60, Im going to move on to Thing.
Im planning to put a few points into his blocking power, just so I can stand there and troll Juggs and Rhino, when they charge me.

Four levels away from hitting the 60 cap on the Punisher, and these are understandably the most prolonged levels yet.

I'm really looking forward to that extra XP boost to get some other characters moving up. I have at least two others that are in their early 40s, so I'll probably hop on that wagon next.

Although something tells me I should probably level either Jean Grey or Storm while they're still ridiculously OP.

Four levels away from hitting the 60 cap on the Punisher, and these are understandably the most prolonged levels yet.

I'm really looking forward to that extra XP boost to get some other characters moving up. I have at least two others that are in their early 40s, so I'll probably hop on that wagon next.

Although something tells me I should probably level either Jean Grey or Storm while they're still ridiculously OP.

I recently leveled Colossus to 60. From about the early 30s to mid 50s I did mostly X-Defense. After that, I ended up going into Midtown and also doing some Legendaries. I would say I was gaining a level every couple of legendaries or so, mixed in with a little time in MM. This was with 50% experience buff I think, but it didn't take all that long.

Right now I am working on Cyclops. I have him at 43 and am still doing mostly X-Defense. I may start doing LQs earlier with him though I am trying to get some better gear first. Last night I had an X-Def run where I got 2 uniques to drop in the first 3 waves. Unfortunately, after that I got nothing (and the uniques are over my level and not his best ones, either).

Well there's not that many organizations left to pick from. Mostly stuff from space (Skrulls, Kree, Phalanx as well, Badoon, etc.).

There is also the Microverse with Psycho-Man and his brood. Also Sakaar and Battleworld but I guess thats more space stuff.

Thats a good question. What else could they add? Zombies?

There is also the Microverse with Psycho-Man and his brood. Also Sakaar and Battleworld but I guess thats more space stuff.

Also Negative Zone (aka Athrosians), and I guess Atlanteans under Attuma and vampires as well.

Thats a good question. What else could they add? Zombies?

Not gonna happen. At least not Marvel Zombies zombies. Marvel has explicitly stated they don't want Marvel Zombies happening in any of their games, concerns with the depiction of the characters and such.

KePoW

Banned
I have read Red Sonja a few years ago. Those comics were pretty good. Similar to Conan with their levels of hot girls and combat, IIRC :)
I haven't read Vampirella. If I Google "Vampirella comic", it looks like a lot of the actual comic content is black and white only. Is the modern stuff colored (and worth reading)?

For Vampirella, the ones I've read have all been full color. The B&W ones must be really old series. I would give the current ongoing series a try from Issue #1 (2010):

http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=31309

For Red Sonja, try the new series (2013) by Gail Simone. I've read a couple issues so far and it seems cool:

http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=40924

Cow level? Thought I'd stumbled into a Diablo thread for a minute.

This is the Bovine thing that I've seen for sale in the Splinter (or is it Cube?) Vendor?

I've got a level 60 Jean, I could jump in for a giggle (I'm Aus though, so the timing probably doesn't work out anyway).

Valnen

So I bought my first random hero and got Moon Knight. Never heard of him, I'd be annoyed but he at least seems kind of cool.

So I bought my first random hero and got Moon Knight. Never heard of him, I'd be annoyed but he at least seems kind of cool.

Haha, that's pretty lucky seeing as he's only just been released.

Moon Knight is a great Marvel character (batshit insane). Haven't played him in MH yet though.

Top Bottom