• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Vecks

While I wait for steam to finish updating my client, I have Storm and Human Torch. I like ranged DPS. What hero should I get next. Also, is Jean Grey fun?

Out of the ones I have, I'd say Iron Man, Scarlet Witch and Jean Grey are all incredibly powerful ranged DPS heroes. If you like to play a flying torrent of death, then yeah, Phoenix can be fun. Without Phoenix, she really can't compare to scarlet witch, but hopefully that will be addressed in her review.

If you prefer more of a challenge, Hawkeye is pretty good too IMO.

Lord Phol

While I wait for steam to finish updating my client, I have Storm and Human Torch. I like ranged DPS. What hero should I get next. Also, is Jean Grey fun?

I only played around with her a bit on test but she's pretty fun, though I'm waiting for her 52 review myself.
For ranged heroes I would recommend (based on my own experience) Gambit & Iron Man. Both are very fun and well designed. I've heard good things about Scarlet Witch as well.
Btw, is ur avatar an Elsa from Frozen cosplay, where's it from? :eek:

Volimar

I only played around with her a bit on test but she's pretty fun, though I'm waiting for her 52 review myself.
For ranged heroes I would recommend (based on my own experience) Gambit & Iron Man. Both are very fun and well designed. I've heard good things about Scarlet Witch as well.
Btw, is ur avatar an Elsa from Frozen cosplay, where's it from? :eek:

It's not cosplay. It's an incredibly well done bit of artwork.

elsa__frozen__by_jiyu_kaze-d78bgxt.jpg

http://jiyu-kaze.deviantart.com/art/Elsa-frozen-437235329

Or you could go the walking WMD route and spec to Wrist Rocket, Micro Missiles and Jericho Bombardment with Shield Overload for spirit regen.

Oh shit. Random Costume Box. The gamblers and whales among us are in for it now...

inky

Pulse bolt is only good for the disable nowadays and Iron Man is in the top of the damage scale so you can pretty much build him how you want. You can even sneak Unibeam in there and still do the job just fine.

Shield Overload for spirit regen.

This is a no-brainer in every build imo. When Arc Reactor scaled a better I had it maxed too and got IM to almost 1100 Spirit =D Nowadays 700~ does the job just fine.

Vecks

Random Costume Box time. I tried to resist but...
ended up buying 2.
First one...
EIIRvSD.jpg

Warbird. Okay. I know some of you guys prefer more skin, but I can go either way.
Second one...
Hulkbuster! I already have the Avengers Movie costume, and I do really like that one too, but I find this one to be rather neat as well.

And last... decided prestige Iron Man to craft another. After many, many painful terrible and duplicate random costumes rolls, I have finally got an enhanced! Still don't have Loki yet, but now that I have a costume for him, he's certainly next.

Gothos

I had 900G laying around so I said to myself: it's sign from MH gods to buy 2 random costume boxes! First one: Deadpool Sherfiif (meh since I don't like DP and don't even have him), next one: Cable Legendary (not bad, it's a bit better that his default and I have Cable so all is good!). Then I decided to craft my 1st random costume and got awesome looking RR Deep Space Costume (and I just bought RR like a week ago) so yeah, not bad! :)

Oh and fucking finally, after 299 hours played this dropped:

KePoW

Banned

Don't feel bad. I have 946 hours played and have only found two.

Here's the worst thing... for the first one, I wasted it by crafting it onto a costume for visual artifact. Back then I had no idea how rare the Shrinkings would be.

It does make my Rocket Raccoon really small...

Vecks

I've only had 2 of those drop, and they both dropped in the last month. But they are worth their rarity. I pretty much hated wolverine until I slapped one of these on him. I still don't like wolverine that much, but I can stomach leveling him up to 60 now.

Lord Phol

It's not cosplay. It's an incredibly well done bit of artwork.

Wow, yeah that's beautiful, very talented artist, thanks!

Random Costume Box time. I tried to resist but...
ended up buying 2.
First one...

Warbird. Okay. I know some of you guys prefer more skin, but I can go either way.
Second one...

Hulkbuster! I already have the Avengers Movie costume, and I do really like that one too, but I find this one to be rather neat as well.

And last... decided prestige Iron Man to craft another. After many, many painful terrible and duplicate random costumes rolls, I have finally got an enhanced! Still don't have Loki yet, but now that I have a costume for him, he's certainly next.

Nice haul mate! Not sure if I'm gonna go for the box myself since there's only about 25 costumes I want and very few I would be using. From what I've heard though the RNG on it is really good.

GManDH

does this mean its pointless to do Xdef anymore since you can just do MM and have the same rate as XDEF without dieing or having to start over?

Gothos

Well, imho it's the single most powerful artifact in game so I'm not surprised it's that rare. It's single handedly can elevate a given hero to new heights allowing him to run much more powerful build. When I finally gave in and traded one for my DD he instantly became my favorite character in the game :D

Vecks

does this mean its pointless to do Xdef anymore since you can just do MM and have the same rate as XDEF without dieing or having to start over?

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume what they are going for is a drop rate equal to that of not doing very well in x-def. Regardless, the idea is that people don't feel like they have to do x-def to get good loot. They are simply trying to even things out.

It is still possible that reaching, say, wave 30 of x-def could still yield the best results, since they did buff the final reward chest and added increased doop waves.

On another note, could be placebo effect, but it feels like performance is better.

Gotta agree with Gothos, PSS is a complete game-changer for any dodge hero. Until they nerf it (and they probably will), I don't see Gaz increasing the drop rate.

KePoW

Banned
Well, imho it's the single most powerful artifact in game so I'm not surprised it's that rare. It's single handedly can elevate a given hero to new heights allowing him to run much more powerful build. When I finally gave in and traded one for my DD he instantly became my favorite character in the game :D

Gotta agree with Gothos, PSS is a complete game-changer for any dodge hero. Until they nerf it (and they probably will), I don't see Gaz increasing the drop rate.

Then they should adjust the item so it's relatively equivalent to other artifacts in effectiveness.

(Sorry guys but I've always been pro-nerf when it comes to game design balance.)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"Initial explosion removed from Jean Grey's Phoenix Charge to prevent this explosion from being spammed repeatedly due to movement powers firing instantly."

well there goes my charge spec. to be fair, the last time I did a few xdefs with her (only lvl 34) it was kind of annoying, even for me, I cant imagine for other people with constant explosions covering the screen.

inky

Being that good and so rare is not really a good balance imo. Especially when it affects dodge heroes so drastically. Either make many other items equally good for all varieties of heroes, nerf it to be more in line with the bulk of the artifacts or make it more accessible if it grants so big of an advantage.

I really don't see a reason for it to be like that, especially when it is not a something like a Legendary item or is hard to get because it is behind challenging content, etc.

KePoW

Banned
Being that good and so rare is not really a good balance imo. Especially when it affects dodge heroes so drastically. Either make many other items equally good for all varieties of heroes, nerf it to be more in line with the bulk of the artifacts or make it more accessible if it grants so big of an advantage.

I really don't see a reason for it to be like that, especially when it is not a something like a Legendary item or is hard to get because it is behind challenging content, etc.

Totally agree!!

Lord Phol

Loot game need rare and good loot to be fun. Pym Shrinking Serum isn't mandatory at all, but it might give you that extra edge in spirit to help you power up ur build. Which is exactly what awesome loot should do. I really don't get the loot drop complains some people have with this game, most things are easily obtained as is. I can get all uniques for a hero in less than a week. I go so many artifacts, uniques and cosmic items that I constantly have to sell stuff and re-organize my stash just to make room for something that might be a little bit better.
I for one want more rare loot for high level content, that's what makes it exciting to continue playing a hero instead of just starting over with a new one.

inky

Loot game need rare and good loot to be fun.

I agree.

Having one single artifact that is this much better and almost nothing else as rare as that is, and on top of that being so fucking rare that you can potentially get 1 in 1000 hours of play when I have a roster of 30 heroes is not, in fact, fun. At this point Pym's serum is an outlier. It is not part of a group of hard to get artifacts. It is not one of many pieces of "awesome loot". It is not one of a super special artifact type of which you could to expect that or know they are this rare going in. It is not put behind challenging content that rewards you for working for it. It is none of those things.

It is an unbalanced item that shouldn't be so and has no reason to be that way. I don't understand why people don't see that. It is not "complaining about loot because it is so awesome". It is about one thing that is like nothing else is in this game, not even the Boss specific artifacts are like that, and at least you can farm those. I wouldn't care if it is extremely hard to get if it wasn't the only one and there was a good reason behind that fact other than "I think it is awesome you get one every 500 hours!"

Lord Phol

Well I guess we are just different about that then. There were plenty of awesome stuff in WoW and Diablo 2 that I never got my hands on but saw others run around with. To me that just made it more fun when you found something extra rare yourself. I'm not saying it should take you 500+ hours to get one piece of awesome loot, but there should be plenty of these really rare awesome loot that makes you all giddy like a school girl once you see a mob drop them. I don't see why Shrinking Serum can't be one of those when there's plenty enough of other good less rare aritfacts to find.

KePoW

Banned
Pym Shrinking Serum isn't mandatory at all, but it might give you that extra edge in spirit to help you power up ur build.

But the thing is, if you've seen what people in this thread have said and on MH forums, everybody says this one artifact is a game-changer.

Lord Phol

But the thing is, if you've seen what people in this thread have said and on MH forums, everybody says this one artifact is a game-changer.

Yeah it can help you out alot, but I don't see why rare loot shouldn't be like that. It's not like the game is challenging anyways. You do fine with most high level items.
I want more game changing items. For reference I've played over 900 hours and looted about 3-4 shrinking serums, no HoDs, no GoKs and no Mental Headbands or Saturn/Tyr runes. I'm fine with that, but I would really like if there was more cool stuff to find. It's a bit on the low side atm and alot of stuff is pretty useless and could definetly be buffed.
They've been talking about doing a big item and artifact pass, so I guess either other stuff is gonna get buffed to shrink serum quality or it might get nerfed as you want.

One thing that I don't enjoy though is farming Odin Marks. Takes forever, and slowly amassing currency is much less thrilling then stumbling upon awesome items every now and then. I think they should halve the costs for legendaries and/or blessings.

Gothos

Well, just because it's rare doesn't mean you can't get it. Hint: trade. That's how I got my first one with quite good stats. It costed 1 blessing of Hela and with new multiple Odin marks for legendary quests it's really easy to obtain and noone is stopping anyone from getting their own PPS :)

Vecks

I think they'll probably nerf it. Since they've been adding cooldowns to everything, I don't see why they wouldn't do it here.
Personally, since I found 2 shrinking serums, it's not even the rarest (non-boss) artifact for me.
Out of who knows how many hours, I've only found 1 adv flames of faltine and 1 adv atlantean jewel.
Not to mention... I still haven't seen an Edge of Infinity yet.

KePoW

Banned
I think they'll probably nerf it. Since they've been adding cooldowns to everything, I don't see why they wouldn't do it here.
Personally, since I found 2 shrinking serums, it's not even the rarest (non-boss) artifact for me.
Out of who knows how many hours, I've only found 1 adv flames of faltine and 1 adv atlantean jewel.
Not to mention... I still haven't seen an Edge of Infinity yet.

FoF is definitely pretty rare too. Is the Atlantean Jewel even any good? I just sell them.

For EoI, I've found maybe 6 or 7 total. But none within the past like four months... has anyone gotten one recently?

Lord Phol

FoF is definitely pretty rare too. Is the Atlantean Jewel even any good? I just sell them.

For EoI, I've found maybe 6 or 7 total. But none within the past like four months... has anyone gotten one recently?

It's funny that, it seems some people keep getting the same artifacts that others people almost never get and vice versa. I get alot of those Jewels, never used one :s. Only ever found one EoI, but I don't think they are all that good.

inky

I haven't seen an Edge of Infinity recently. I think there was some theory about it dropping only during certain level range which makes it more uncommon, but it could just be forum shenanigans.

Gothos

It's funny that, it seems some people keep getting the same artifacts that others people almost never get and vice versa. I get alot of those Jewels, never used one :s. Only ever found one EoI, but I don't think they are all that good.

Ye, definetely :) Something's fishy in the country RNG :p

KePoW

Banned
I haven't seen an Edge of Infinity recently. I think there was some theory about it dropping only during certain level range which makes it more uncommon, but it could just be forum shenanigans.

Hmmm good point, I would be interested to know if this is confirmed.

Lord Phol

Random boxed Captain Americas Avenger Costume -> into the blender with Iron Man Avengers and Gambit Default-> got Moon Knight Batman costume (which I all ready have).

Moon Knight Default costume + Batman + Wolverine Default = New Squirrel Girl GTX costume. Don't know how to feel :s. On one hand it's a really well made and nice costume. On the other hand I don't own the hero and she is probably the one I'm least likely to play ever >>.

Blank!

Rarest artifacts:

GotK
HoD
Mental Headband
Pym Shrinking
Edge of Infinity
Shiar Cloaking
Raptor Stone
Atlantean Jewel (either version)

I have more than 6 pym shrink/atlantean jewel but for pym shrink I've traded for a chunk of them. I still only have 2 Edge's and Shiar's and I'm at 3 Raptor stones. 2 mental headbands, 1 HoD, 0 gotk's.

This is definitely true, artifact drops are level banded. At 60 you're not ever getting an EoI since it's a level 30 (31?) artifact. The banding I believe is somewhere around 20 levels give or take.

I had one drop for me last month while leveling, which was my first since last summer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmmm 2100Gs for random costumes? its stupid I know as I should just get the costumes I actually want, but...but...random. stupid gambling :(

edit: 5 random boxes (had some left over Gs to go with the 2100), results were Squirrel Girl Holiday (meh I have aviator), Spiderman Big Time Red (not bad not bad), Ironman Marvel Now (fuck yeah its the one I wanted, I can level him now lol), Scarlet Witch Crossing (not bad, I prefer Marvel Now which I have tho) and Hulk Gray (meh).

Im happy, IM marvel now I was going to buy any day now when I leveled him, and its 1250g on its own anyway. Spidey ill probably keep, the other 3 will probably go in the blender

edit2: tossed default hulk (was going to toss gray hulk, but I thought since you can always prestige and get the default back its smarter to toss the default), scarlet witch crossing and nightcrawler classic (which I have, it was a dupe from the blender) and got..... drumroll........

2609504-fuckyeah.png

Yes-Signs-Held-By-Fans.gif

Vecks

Geez, Rhaknar. Congrats, man. I probably shouldn't be jelly since I did just craft an enhanced costume, but wow, I've been crossing my fingers for that costume for the last 5 random rolls. XD

Rhaknar

Geez, Rhaknar. Congrats, man. I probably shouldn't be jelly since I did just craft an enhanced costume, but wow, I've been crossing my fingers for that costume for the last 5 random rolls. XD

im just happy i got my Gs worth in costumes I was going to buy anyway. 1250 from IM + 950 from Jeannie, actually saved a bit, the others are just gravy :) Might grab a few more, probably for shit results for overplaying my hand, as usual lol

Holiday Squirrel Girl is actually...cute.

KePoW

Banned

lol, that costume just came out! How long could you have been trying to get it =P

I recently got Panther to 60 and I thought he was pretty fun. Cutting through enemies with his movement power feels good. I hate his noble/high and mighty attitude though.
I wish Gaz would bring back the "buy one costume, get a random one free" deal. I really want Gambits Stormtrooper outfit but cant justify spending $10 for it.

Top Bottom